Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University and Life Stages?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Well, let me explain about university and rotational play.
    First of all, it is important to know the difference between played and unplayed households. Unplayed households are those you haven't played with. In the map screen they're represented with gray (if not in my households) and light green (if in my households). They can change their jobs, don't keep much of the relationships with other unplayed sims (unless related) etc. Played households are households you have played with at least once. They are represented with green plumbob icon.

Now then, if a sim is a student, their term goes on no matter if you are there or not. They will finish it on "average grade" and what happens next depends on whether they're played or not. Unplayed sims will reenroll on their own and will do so until they've graduated. Played sims will wait for the player to return so the player can re-enroll them.

To keep my sims in university housing and not have their grades suffer, I usually do this.
    I play with them the whole term. Once it ends the game asks me to reenroll them. I do that and choose them one class. After that I rotate away and don't return before a week passes. Once I return, I reenroll them normally. I usually want to go through three terms with students, so the amount of classes they take is 3, then 1, then 4, then 1, and finally 3 (or 4 if I want to go over).

@EgonVM Well, I appreciate the advice. However, now I have more questions! 😂

So, without saving afterwards, I looked at each DU household. Those which include students, the student achieved 3 credits and a B. I assume this is the first "term" (semester).

Each household with a student prompted me to re-enrol and advised that failing to do so would lose their sponsorship.

Reading your explanation above, am I to understand that if I had saved after looking in each household, those would now be green plumbobs and I would have to manually re-enrol them? However, because I haven't saved, when I return to the game the households will still be grey and the students will enrol themselves?

If I wanted the student households to remain at Uni but not progress without me, should I click each household again and reject re-enrolment?

Do you know if the pre-made students have any sponsorship?
  • Options
    @EgonVM I also forgot to mention that each student had 4 days left of term, but asked me to re-enrol anyway. Do you know why?
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited July 2020
    Alwe1507 wrote: »
    Well, let me explain about university and rotational play.
    First of all, it is important to know the difference between played and unplayed households. Unplayed households are those you haven't played with. In the map screen they're represented with gray (if not in my households) and light green (if in my households). They can change their jobs, don't keep much of the relationships with other unplayed sims (unless related) etc. Played households are households you have played with at least once. They are represented with green plumbob icon.

Now then, if a sim is a student, their term goes on no matter if you are there or not. They will finish it on "average grade" and what happens next depends on whether they're played or not. Unplayed sims will reenroll on their own and will do so until they've graduated. Played sims will wait for the player to return so the player can re-enroll them.

To keep my sims in university housing and not have their grades suffer, I usually do this.
    I play with them the whole term. Once it ends the game asks me to reenroll them. I do that and choose them one class. After that I rotate away and don't return before a week passes. Once I return, I reenroll them normally. I usually want to go through three terms with students, so the amount of classes they take is 3, then 1, then 4, then 1, and finally 3 (or 4 if I want to go over).

@EgonVM Well, I appreciate the advice. However, now I have more questions! 😂

So, without saving afterwards, I looked at each DU household. Those which include students, the student achieved 3 credits and a B. I assume this is the first "term" (semester).

Each household with a student prompted me to re-enrol and advised that failing to do so would lose their sponsorship.

Reading your explanation above, am I to understand that if I had saved after looking in each household, those would now be green plumbobs and I would have to manually re-enrol them? However, because I haven't saved, when I return to the game the households will still be grey and the students will enrol themselves?

If I wanted the student households to remain at Uni but not progress without me, should I click each household again and reject re-enrolment?

Do you know if the pre-made students have any sponsorship?

The B thing is the main reason I've put "average grade" in quotation marks. It seems to depend more on the sim and their current average grade.

If you want to turn a played household into unplayed, then click on the household in manage worlds, then on three dots next to the play and travel here button, and in the choice choose "manage households". Then you can either click on the green plumbob or heart to make them unplayed. Though do remember that clicking on heart will allow them to be culled (deleted by game) when there isn't room for the newly generated sims.

I don't think pre-made students have any scholarships.

If you reject re-enrollment, the students will have to move out from their university housing.
    @EgonVM I also forgot to mention that each student had 4 days left of term, but asked me to re-enrol anyway. Do you know why?

That is strange. It might be a bug. What I can suggest is repairing the game through Origin. It's simple! Open Origin, go into My Games Library, right-click on the game and choose "repair". Try that out and see if that problem stays or goes away.
    PS. Before repairing, remove any mods and CC you have in game.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    @babajayne, I'm pretty sure that your Sim's father is not actually enrolled, but just has the student tag for an event. The game does that sort of thing with other occupations, too.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    @babajayne, I'm pretty sure that your Sim's father is not actually enrolled, but just has the student tag for an event. The game does that sort of thing with other occupations, too.
    I guess that explains it, thanks!
  • Options
    @EgonVM If I change the student households to played, using the manage households option you describe, will the students stop progressing in their degrees until I actually play them? You said earlier that after the first term / semester, played students have to be manually re-enroled.

Does the game really cull pre-mades??
  • Options

That is strange. It might be a bug. What I can suggest is repairing the game through Origin. It's simple! Open Origin, go into My Games Library, right-click on the game and choose "repair". Try that out and see if that problem stays or goes away.
    PS. Before repairing, remove any mods and CC you have in game.

@EgonVM I repaired the game. No difference. Each student household has a B, 3/12 credits, a few classes to attend and 4 days left of term. However, each household still prompts me to re-enrol?
  • Options
    @EgonVM I broke the above comment...

I repaired the game. No difference. Each student household has a B, 3/12 credits, a few classes to attend and 4 days left of term. However, each household still prompts me to re-enrol?
  • Options

I repaired the game. No difference. Each student household has a B, 3/12 credits, a few classes to attend and 4 days left of term. However, each household still prompts me to re-enrol?

I wonder, does the game prompt you to re-enrol a few days early? So the application is in and your acceptance arrives in time for a seamless transition from term 1 to term 2?
  • Options
    @EgonVM If I change the student households to played, using the manage households option you describe, will the students stop progressing in their degrees until I actually play them? You said earlier that after the first term / semester, played students have to be manually re-enroled.

Does the game really cull pre-mades??

Well, whether they re-enroll on their own or not only depends on whether they are played or not. If sim starts out played and is marked unplayed, they should re-enroll on their own.

Haven't seen game cull pre-mades yet. Though it is something that can eventually happen, especially when aging is on (NPC sims age up, become elders, die by old age, and get culled as ghosts).

Interesting. I'll have to see if it happens in my game.

I wonder, does the game prompt you to re-enrol a few days early? So the application is in and your acceptance arrives in time for a seamless transition from term 1 to term 2?

It shouldn't. Only when term is over. Getting application results only allows your sim to enroll in university.
  • Options
    @EgonVM Perhaps you could describe what the "career" section looks like for a Sim student at the end of their term? Or screenshot it?

Can I just confirm, I am going to make each student household a "played" household via the manage option...once done, the students will not enrol for a 2nd term and will not leave accommodation without my interference?
  • Options
    I'm not sure where you're getting the prompt to re-enroll. Usually it comes right after your Sims' grades arrive if you're playing them. Do they have active classes? As far as I can tell -- and I've been playing 10 households in rotation, with college students in 3 or 4 of them -- they don't re-enroll unless you're playing them. I tend to play my student Sims for a full week so as to get all their classes in.

As for the career section -- in the list you'll see the new careers that your Sims are eligible for, as well as the beginning stage of that career. For example, my Sim who was a Biology major could choose Botanist (at level 7, I think), but also Gardener, which Botanist is a part of.
  • Options
    I'm not sure where you're getting the prompt to re-enroll. Usually it comes right after your Sims' grades arrive if you're playing them. Do they have active classes? As far as I can tell -- and I've been playing 10 households in rotation, with college students in 3 or 4 of them -- they don't re-enroll unless you're playing them. I tend to play my student Sims for a full week so as to get all their classes in.

As for the career section -- in the list you'll see the new careers that your Sims are eligible for, as well as the beginning stage of that career. For example, my Sim who was a Biology major could choose Botanist (at level 7, I think), but also Gardener, which Botanist is a part of.

@MVWdeZT I shall try to explain...

I was playing a family in SV (my own creation) when I read on here that students in DU will progress their degrees, regardless of whether aging settings are off.

I had a look at each of the three households (Pleasant, Best Friends and Fletcher). Upon entering each household, for the first time ever, I was notified that I could re-enrol or not, but if I didn't, I would risk scholarship. I clicked X on each student and looked at their career tab. Each of the five students has earned a B and 3/12 credits.

What confused me is that each student still had classes listed for them to attend on different weekdays and underneath the degree info, it said 4 days remaining of term (or something similar).
  • Options
    @EgonVM Perhaps you could describe what the "career" section looks like for a Sim student at the end of their term? Or screenshot it?

Can I just confirm, I am going to make each student household a "played" household via the manage option...once done, the students will not enrol for a 2nd term and will not leave accommodation without my interference?

When the term is over, the career panel shows sim's degree progress and has a button to re-enroll them.

Yes, that's true.
  • Options

When the term is over, the career panel shows sim's degree progress and has a button to re-enroll them.

Yes, that's true.

Hmm...ok. There is no re-enrol button so that leads me to believe the term probably hasn't ended. 🤔

The prompt immediately offered on entering their household is confusing...

Whilst the students learn, I assume the career tab shows ongoing progress? Like live updates on grades and credits?
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited July 2020
    I am not sure whether I answered this question before.
    Hi,

In DU, which Life Stages can be sent to Uni?

Young Adult. In TS2, I send sims as teenagers.
    Also in TS2, once your Sim graduated, you moved them back to their family home or out in to the wide world alone. However, upon arrival at a Lot they aged to Adult Life Stage.

In DU, will University students age at Uni and do they age after graduating?

In TS2, it depended on story lines. That's true for TS4, too. In both games, they moved back to their family home if needed to inherkite the family home, otherwise they made a household of their own while in college or university.

In DU, they might age to adult before graduating, and difinitely age after graduation, as their life don't stop at graduation.*

In TS2, for instance, I knew, either Nervous Subject had to move in with his mother or Ophelia Nigmos had to move back home after graduation to keep the home of Olive Specter of Strangetown.

• Options

Yes, that's true.

Hmm...ok. There is no re-enrol button so that leads me to believe the term probably hasn't ended. 🤔

Whilst the students learn, I assume the career tab shows ongoing progress? Like live updates on grades and credits?

No, you don't get updates on your grades. You might have your Sims ask their professors. I've never tried that. Basically, to get good grades, have them do at least 50% of homework and complete their presentations and term papers. Refine the presentations to outstanding and edit the term papers.
  • Options

Yes, that's true.

No, you don't get updates on your grades. You might have your Sims ask their professors. I've never tried that. Basically, to get good grades, have them do at least 50% of homework and complete their presentations and term papers. Refine the presentations to outstanding and edit the term papers.

@MVWdeZT Hmm...so the grade shown is the grade awarded for term 1...but yet there's still four days to go. How confusing 🤪
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I decided to trial a fast-forward test save. Here are the findings...

Based on the above comments I made about my DU students showing a B grade, 3/12 credits but 4 days remaining of term...

I think what occurred is that I played my SV household for 10 days. This would technically be 1 term week and 3 days for the students...

I fast-forward the SV household for 2 days. I opened up B-Chester and entered the Fletcher household - declining his choice to sign up for another term.

I returned to the SV household and fast-forward a further 2 days. I opened up B-Chester and entered the Fletcher household. He showed a B grade, 4/12 credits and the enrol button. I opened up the Pleasant household for the first time - declining their choice to sign up for another term. However, both Pleasant girls now showed B grades, 6/12 credits and 7 days remaining of term.

It seems to me that unplayed student households will keep enrolling terms at Uni until they've earned 12/12 credits and graduate. The quickest way to stop progression is to select the households as played. They'll complete their first term but then wait for the player to return and sign up for a 2nd term.

I appreciate all the assistance provided and advice offered.
    Post edited by Alwe1507 on
  • Options
    Bad news.

Today I tried playing with sims in university, but it seems like it's broken. The term never progresses (except starting) and it never ends.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited August 2020
    babajayne wrote: »
    @EgonVM Thanks for the info.
    Don’t you think it’s strange, then, that my played sim (student’s father) appeared on the quad as a student? If I’m understanding correctly you’re saying the game wouldn’t re-enroll a played sim. But it enrolled mine. (Or would he appear with the student tag just for a quad event, not truly enrolled?)

Check and make sure that your Played sim, doesn't have an unplayed version in your Unplayed sims bin. I make this mistake all the time. I make changes and move them around and end up with a played sim in game and the unplayed version in the bin. My sims dad kept showing up as a debate club member but he wasn't even a student yet LOL
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @SimsLady2000 I finally checked that out, and I don’t have a duplicate of that sim. It was a good suggestion, though!
    He must’ve been drafted for the quad event.