Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University and Life Stages?

Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
Hi,

A relatively simple question / questions, I hope :smile:

I've purchased DU and I've noticed that my current household (consisting of two young adults) can apply for scholarships and University!

In TS2 (which is the last Sims game I significantly played), whilst your Sims were Teens, you had to send them to Uni before 18:00 on their last Teen day. If you missed it, they aged to Adult and the opportunity for Uni was lost forever!

In DU, which Life Stages can be sent to Uni?

Also in TS2, once your Sim graduated, you moved them back to their family home or out in to the wide world alone. However, upon arrival at a Lot they aged to Adult Life Stage.

In DU, will University students age at Uni and do they age after graduating?

I guess that what I'm trying to avoid is moving a Teen Sim out to Uni and finding after graduating, he / she becomes a fully fledged Adult. Missing so many years in between!

Any helpful advice is greatly received :smile:
Post edited by Alwe1507 on

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Young adults, adults, and elders can go to university. Certain lifestages do not get scholarships, however. I understand what you are talking about from Sims 2, though. I expected a little more possibilities for teens. Back then the YA stage was exclusive for university and it worked well in my opinion, but it is not so closed off anymore.

They age like normal from what I can tell. You can also take classes at home. There are specific student housing, though, that you can move in when enrolled and will have to vacate when you graduate.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    As young adults are in base game as a non-optional life stage (unlike in The Sims 2), it is like in The Sims 3 where sims who are young adult, adult, and elders and enroll in university. However, in The Sims 4, in order to enroll in one, your sim has to send an application and get the results (which can be done when teen is close to aging up). Also, there are scholarships that can be only be obtained by teens and young adults.
    While at university, sims age normally (unlike in The Sims 3). The end of university won't end your sim up.

So in short, forget The Sims 2's young adult stage in The Sims 4.
    I have also made a video tutorial about the expansion pack.
    https://youtu.be/w7CHXZ2FP6s
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Young adults, adults, and elders can go to university. Certain lifestages do not get scholarships, however. I understand what you are talking about from Sims 2, though. I expected a little more possibilities for teens. Back then the YA stage was exclusive for university and it worked well in my opinion, but it is not so closed off anymore.

They age like normal from what I can tell. You can also take classes at home. There are specific student housing, though, that you can move in when enrolled and will have to vacate when you graduate.

@Calico45 I wasn't aware that moving to Uni was no longer mandatory. That is completely different from TS2.

@EgonVM Thank you.

Is the degree progress registered elsewhere from age progress? I assume in the career progress tab?
  • Options
    Degree progress can mean the amount of classes completed. That is found in career panel.
    If sim completes a degree, all of the degrees they've got can be only found in the simology panel (yes, aging is shown there).
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice.

DU seems considerably less rigid and restricted than TS2 version. I'm looking forward to it :smile:
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Alwe1507 wrote: »

DU seems considerably less rigid and restricted than TS2 version. I'm looking forward to it :smile:
    Have fun! I like DU a lot.

Do you usually play just one household or do you play rotationally? I play rotationally and I just want to alert you in case you do, too, that the term continues if you change households during the term, and you may not like the grades your student gets if you are not playing their household when the term ends. So I always complete one term at a time and don’t enroll again immediately if I am rotating to another household.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Since it takes 12 credits to graduate, even if you play on Long, it is advised you turn aging off while your Sim(s) are at uni. That way they still have lots of life to live after graduation. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »

Do you usually play just one household or do you play rotationally? I play rotationally and I just want to alert you in case you do, too, that the term continues if you change households during the term, and you may not like the grades your student gets if you are not playing their household when the term ends. So I always complete one term at a time and don’t enroll again immediately if I am rotating to another household.

@babajayne I do play rotational, however I keep aging off, except for active household. Will the term still continue if I change household?
  • Options
    Since it takes 12 credits to graduate, even if you play on Long, it is advised you turn aging off while your Sim(s) are at uni. That way they still have lots of life to live after graduation. :)

@GalacticGal Could you give me an idea of how many "years" one credit takes?
  • Options

@babajayne I do play rotational, however I keep aging off, except for active household. Will the term still continue if I change household?

Yes, the term progresses as the days pass, unrelated to the aging settings.
  • Options

One term lasts for one week (or to be exact, 5 workdays).
    Now the credits are almost same like in The Sims 3. When you enroll your sim, you can choose up to four classes to your sim (1-4 core classes and 1 optional elective on a skill). When a term ends, each class your sim has earned a passed grade for counts as one credit. You can also get extra credit when you participate in student organization events (your sim must be a member first).
    If you keep taking the same amount each term, the lenght of the university will be this...
    • 1 class = 12 weeks
    • 2 classes = 6 weeks
    • 3 classes = 4 weeks
    • 4 classes = 3 weeks
    Of course you can have your sim take more or less classes the next term.

In short, university works much differently than in The Sims 2.
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »

One term lasts for one week (or to be exact, 5 workdays).
    Now the credits are almost same like in The Sims 3. When you enroll your sim, you can choose up to four classes to your sim (1-4 core classes and 1 optional elective on a skill). When a term ends, each class your sim has earned a passed grade for counts as one credit. You can also get extra credit when you participate in student organization events (your sim must be a member first).
    If you keep taking the same amount each term, the lenght of the university will be this...
    • 1 class = 12 weeks
    • 2 classes = 6 weeks
    • 3 classes = 4 weeks
    • 4 classes = 3 weeks
    Of course you can have your sim take more or less classes the next term.

In short, university works much differently than in The Sims 2.

Thanks for the info. I didn't delve much in to TS3, but this explanation helps a lot!
  • Options
    @babajayne Hi, just a thought that popped in to my head whilst I complete the SV storyline...

DU shipped with 5 or 6 families, most of whom have Uni mentioned in their bio. The Pleasant sisters, a lad living with his parents, a party house etc.

Whilst I play SV, will their degrees progress, as you previously mentioned?
  • Options
    @Alwe1507 Yes, they will. If you want to “pause” their time there, I think you would have to play them through the term and at 6pm on the final day of class, the term will complete and you will have an option to re-enroll or not. If you aren’t playing them at that moment, they will re-enroll automatically. If they are in a dorm and you’re playing them and you decide not to re-enroll, they will have to leave the dorm (but they can always re-enroll and move back in).
  • Options
    @babajayne Hmm 🤔 I can only play one DU household at a time. It just seems daft and shortsighted of EA that I lose control of how well the other DU households are doing, in their degree 😤
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Britechester only has 5 premade students, spread out into 3 households. You could combine them into one household and play them all at the same time if you really care about how well they do. I would recommend using the Pleasant house, since it has plenty of room to add more beds.

The Elderberrys don't have anyone currently enrolled in University, so you wouldn't need to do anything with them until Rohan grows up from Teenager.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Sketch793 wrote: »
    Britechester only has 5 premade students, spread out into 3 households. You could combine them into one household and play them all at the same time if you really care about how well they do. I would recommend using the Pleasant house, since it has plenty of room to add more beds.

The Elderberrys don't have anyone currently enrolled in University, so you wouldn't need to do anything with them until Rohan grows up from Teenager.
    😬 It would be pretty rough playing 5 sims at once at uni... especially when new to the pack, but definitely use non-dorm housing if you do, otherwise go with UBrite over Foxbury because the campus size at Foxbury makes it very hard to make sure they go to class on time. (But obviously the UBrite dorms only work for the UBrite students)
    I guess you could try having some of them unenroll and I don’t think it will impact their ability to go back, if only done once.
  • Options

😬 It would be pretty rough playing 5 sims at once at uni... especially when new to the pack, but definitely use non-dorm housing if you do, otherwise go with UBrite over Foxbury because the campus size at Foxbury makes it very hard to make sure they go to class on time. (But obviously the UBrite dorms only work for the UBrite students)
    I guess you could try having some of them unenroll and I don’t think it will impact their ability to go back, if only done once.

Ugh. That means 5 Sims are currently enrolled and screwing up their Uni year whilst I mess around with giant angry plants 😱

@Sketch793
    @babajayne
  • Options
    @Alwe1507
    I think they will still pass and graduate, but don’t count on them getting honors. And honors just starts them a bit higher in their career, you don’t really need that for everyone.
    I can check in my game and see what happened with them. I’m not sure if they would fail out unless we played them and neglected all their schoolwork and then changed households before the term ending.
  • Options
    @Alwe1507
    I think they will still pass and graduate, but don’t count on them getting honors. And honors just starts them a bit higher in their career, you don’t really need that for everyone.
    I can check in my game and see what happened with them. I’m not sure if they would fail out unless we played them and neglected all their schoolwork and then changed households before the term ending.

Well, I am disappointed to confirm, after comparing the DU households of my current save to those in a brand new save, all DU students have achieved a measly B for their first term...😔

So...how do I find pre-mades in the gallery to replace them? 😂
  • Options
    @Alwe1507

Well, I am disappointed to confirm, after comparing the DU households of my current save to those in a brand new save, all DU students have achieved a measly B for their first term...😔

@babajayne So, urm...will the Students re-enroll without me too?!
  • Options
    @Alwe1507

You sound like you’d have the perfectionist trait. Haha :)

I was going to say they won’t re-enroll on their own (and they won’t if you are not playing a student at all) but the game does pull sims to be students alongside yours. For instance, I have seen my sim’s parent at their university on the quad for some event. On mouseover, it said “student” under his name. By the time I got to playing his household again, there was no trace of university in his work tab, but I don’t know if there would be... He had a full time job there and nothing else. When I first got the Uni EP I played the dude at Foxbury and one of his dormmates was a Spencer-Lewis premade. I dropped into her house after the term ended and I saw some uni details under her work tab.

I don’t know how helpful that is... but good idea to download the premades when you’re ready for them!
  • Options
    @Alwe1507

You sound like you’d have the perfectionist trait. Haha :)

I was going to say they won’t re-enroll on their own (and they won’t if you are not playing a student at all) but the game does pull sims to be students alongside yours. For instance, I have seen my sim’s parent at their university on the quad for some event. On mouseover, it said “student” under his name. By the time I got to playing his household again, there was no trace of university in his work tab, but I don’t know if there would be... He had a full time job there and nothing else. When I first got the Uni EP I played the dude at Foxbury and one of his dormmates was a Spencer-Lewis premade. I dropped into her house after the term ended and I saw some uni details under her work tab.

I don’t know how helpful that is... but good idea to download the premades when you’re ready for them!

Ha! More like "crippling OCD" trait 😉

No, you've actually been really helpful. Thanks ☺
  • Options
    Well, let me explain about university and rotational play.
    First of all, it is important to know the difference between played and unplayed households. Unplayed households are those you haven't played with. In the map screen they're represented with gray (if not in my households) and light green (if in my households). They can change their jobs, don't keep much of the relationships with other unplayed sims (unless related) etc. Played households are households you have played with at least once. They are represented with green plumbob icon.

Now then, if a sim is a student, their term goes on no matter if you are there or not. They will finish it on "average grade" and what happens next depends on whether they're played or not. Unplayed sims will reenroll on their own and will do so until they've graduated. Played sims will wait for the player to return so the player can re-enroll them.

To keep my sims in university housing and not have their grades suffer, I usually do this.
    I play with them the whole term. Once it ends the game asks me to reenroll them. I do that and choose them one class. After that I rotate away and don't return before a week passes. Once I return, I reenroll them normally. I usually want to go through three terms with students, so the amount of classes they take is 3, then 1, then 4, then 1, and finally 3 (or 4 if I want to go over).
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @EgonVM Thanks for the info.
    Don’t you think it’s strange, then, that my played sim (student’s father) appeared on the quad as a student? If I’m understanding correctly you’re saying the game wouldn’t re-enroll a played sim. But it enrolled mine. (Or would he appear with the student tag just for a quad event, not truly enrolled?)