Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I don't want farming in Sims 4. (rant warning)

drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
Warning this is a rant. I mean no offence or disrespect to any of you

However, there are plenty of farming games already out there and a farm mod already out there for those of you on "team" farm wanting to impose farming on those of us who don't want it at all in our game. If you are team farm for our sims you might not want to read this as I hate on farming for our sims and what I would rather have instead.

Here is a link for all of you on team farming.
It's a KawaiiStacie mod. I love all their other mods especially Slice of Life. I can only go by their other mods and reviews I've seen for this mod to say it's got to be an amazing mod.
https://www.kawaiistaciemods.com/post/my-first-farm-animal

I would rather have a luxury pack to bring in country clubs as a build option for us in the building aspect of the community and horses to the game officially. With 5 country clubs, a few golf clubs in the World. A stable boy/girl, pool boy/girl, a personal chef, the tennis instructor teaching your sim at the country club or at home because what would a luxury home be without a tennis court on the lot and all the lots at least 64 x64 creating and new lot size like 75x75 and dare I say larger. These large lots would give buffs for living large. While Tiny Living gave us benefits to challenge us to build micro homes this pack would challenge us to be living large with insane wealth that makes the Landgraabs look like they are living on The Dole and getting food money from the Oasis Springs government. With Equestrian, golf, polo, tennis etc added in. There would be yachts for your sims to buy. The ability to buy private planes, expensive sports cars (modelled after Porche, Ferrari etc.) it would improve the snob trait with Better than you buff when around those lower than them. It would give us the "pompous" and "arrogant" traits. Other traits would have would play on the kind of snob they are. Like Nancy looking down on lower-income sims. Ms Haas, believing she is intellectually superior to all in the room. Darrel Charm would have the Better than you buff around non-occults. It would allow for a new cap of how many simoleons our sims can have like 100 billion. Yes, I can build a home worth a billion simoleons if I could have access to that kind of funds for my sims and build on a lot that is 75x75 and make it look sweet. I admit I'm not the best builder out there but could come up with something sweet. Look at luxury brands for inspiration.

I would rather not have established mods go official. It's because more often than not EA misses the mark and rests on their laurels in my opinion instead of wowing and raising the bar a little more than they did the pack before. Instead of EA looking at these mods and making it better than the modders they seem to care more about getting stuff out on the release date and often these official releases miss something. I still prefer the fame mod to "Get Famous". The only things I like about "Get Famous" are Judith Ward and a new world to build in. Again this is no offence to the devs. I would rather the developers give themselves extra time to wow us and raise the bar than be in a rush to put things out. I play a game called Mechanicus and every other Warhammer 40k put out on Steam. When Mechanicus came out the trailer did it no justice. The trailer wowed me but when I played the game I didn't sleep for 3 days straight because of playing this game. My husband had to pull away from my tech-priests of The Adeptus Mechanicuum. I was like this with this game that I preordered as I do any new Warhammer 40k game on Steam. I didn't sleep much waking up a few hours later but sleep deprivation was worth it. The Sims1, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 made me like that with every new pack. I really want this experience again with this franchise in Sims 4.

Years ago I worked on a farm helping a farmer out. Though I had read about the farmer's plight and the atrocities done to migrant workers on commercial farms I didn't truly realise the farmer's plight and how mother nature can be their best friend or worst enemy until I worked on a small local farm. I learned a lot from the farmer. It was the hardest thankless job I have ever done in my entire life. If I am going to torture and abuse my sims I have better ways of making their lives miserable. I would be crying for my sims misery with farming. If you haven't realised I am probably not a nice person to sims coming up with new and better ways to torture abuse and just be plain mean to them. We can garden and sell our stuff in a yard sale already.

I play occult sims. I would rather have more supernaturals and occults in my game. I don't demand genies or fairies because well there are mods for that. I use these mods so that I have Genies, Werewolves and Fairies in my game. There is a mod that improves aliens that I genuinely love. There is CC for my aliens to wear most of it from Nelfeah for their alien form. I am on team occult, not team farm unless I can have a "Children of the Corn" mod to make it somewhat decent and entertaining. I don't throw a temper tantrum because I'm not getting more occults and supernaturals in the game. I don't whine and complain every time an unnecessary pack, in my opinion, comes out. I look at what all of you have to say about a pack once it comes out. More often than not the things I thought were stupid and downright useless and yet more recycled content in a pretty new package, I find something redeemable after I get the pack because of the positive reviews I see. Though I still think My First Pet is the worst atrocity the franchise has given us in Sims 4 to date.

I would rather have card games like Vanguard and Magic for my sims to play and tabletop miniatures games for my sims to play with these games being a new skill. Playing Vanguard is more of a skill than video gaming. Playing Warhammer 40k and especially Malifaux takes more actual skill than video gaming. We have video gaming as a skill and its not even a real skill. It's not nor should it even be in the Sims.

Most of all I would rather have bugs and serious issues in the game fixed. To me, that is far more important than inflicting the torture of farming on my sims.

I would rather have traits improved where traits mean something in the game.

I would rather see EA push the boundaries. I would rather be wowed and amazed waiting with bated breath for their next Expansion, Game or Stuff Pack.

I would rather see spellcasters, mermaid, vampires and especially aliens improved because it's almost there with the spellcasters and vampires.

Aliens need a livable buildable world and a lot more clothing options. If it wasn't for Nelfeah's CC my aliens would be wearing the same spacesuit all the time in alien form. More build and Buy items. Unique dishes our sims can learn. With the food affecting non-aliens in different ways. It might temporarily change the kind of magic a spellcaster can do for a random length of time. Like Simeon only being able to use Untamed Magic or Morgyn being able to use Practical Magic. Or learn or remember a form forgotten magic temporarily. If it's something forgotten they could use that magic for a random length of time. If it's a lost form of magic it would be something hidden but not necessarily showing up in their spellbook for something to use later on and would be permanent. Maybe they would have a shamanic experience. It would depend on what they ate and they might not have the same experience eating GubuGa an alien meal, the same way twice It might make a vampire dazed or go into a lust for plasma for a random length of time. It might make a mermaid dehydrate slower or faster or affect their orientation in water and affect their voice. It might affect non-occults with a temporary erratic trait for a random length of time or maybe it would give them a sad buff for a random length of time. EA if you can code it we simmers can come up with it. Just leave it up to the creative minds of the community and just build it for us.

Nelfeah For Alien, some Vampire and some Spellcaster CC
https://lunanelfeah.tumblr.com/simsdownloads

I want to see more cons than just Geek Fest for my geek and genius sims to shine. With comic books, anime and manga. With Tabletop gaming, RPGs LARPing and Card Games. They need a sentai and tokusatsu con with Ban Daisuke as a sim and Shotaro Ishnomori as a sim.

I want more strategy games for my sims to play.

I would rather have Ker Avon and Roj Blake from Blake's 7 as sims than farming. (I hope one of you also is a fan of Blake's 7 and can feel my need to start team Blake's 7 for the sims).

I would rather have playable pets and a colour wheel and of course spiral stairs. For the love of your builders who are your influencers, I see on youtube. For the love of your hype people, I see on Youtube... Please I beg you spiral staircases are far more important than farming is at this time, in my honest opinion. Again I apologize to Team Farming this not meant as an insult to your team. But something as tiny as spiral staircases are more practical to me as a builder than having cows, chickens and not having a stable boy/girl for the horses.

I want hotels and beautiful stunning resorts. With Heart-shaped beds and heart-shaped hot tubs both with an added flirty buff and highest comfort stress relief and hygiene and fun. I would rather have a wedding and honeymoon expansion pack than have farming.

I would rather see us complain, whine and demand a better product in general rather than see us so divided over an Expansion pack that if you don't think you want it you can debate about getting it when the winter holidays come around when the price goes from 40 to 20 bucks or maybe even less than that. Because the CC you just fell in love with and you just know you cannot live without insists on you having this pack just to show up on your sim correctly. Been there done that. I feel your pain.

We need to be civilised towards each other. Not be mean. The gurus are not our enemies. They are just doing their jobs and for that, I personally thank every one of them for that. They don't deserve being in the crossfire all because som people don't know how to express their disappointment on not getting their own way. Because they are enraged with EA for having a fake release for one thing and we are getting another. As somebody who has a second Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, I can say that is brilliant advertising. Seriously it makes it memorable and a trailer should always be memorable love or hate it. You're going to remember. Don't tear into them because you felt entitled to a certain game or expansion pack. We can say how we feel without it being degrading or ending up as attacks on each other.

Lastly, stay safe and healthy during this pandemic. You are all worth it and valuable members of our community.
Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't want a farming pack either. I'd rather a generations pack. The game isn't just for me though so I pretty much just accept what we get.
  • Options
    A Generations pack would be awesome and I agree it's not just for us as individuals.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I am indifferent. If they release a farming pack I will probably buy it. If not I am happy as well.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I want everything. I want all the packs (minus the Supernatural elements).
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I'm no fan of farming either. Or of "Pets, Farm Animal Edition" which is probably closer to what a sizable portion of those who want farming really want.

Not saying that they couldn't make a Country Living pack appealing to me, but it's never going to be high on my wants list, even if it's the most logical way we're getting horses.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    1. Children of the Corn in the sims would be AMAZING!
    2. I could totally go for a Country Club them. Im already imagining how much trouble I could get my sims in with a stablehand 😈
    3. You're right the devs arent our enemies. They are people like you and I held back by the powers that be running the company. They have deadlines and quotas to meet and we cant hold them responsible for something out of their control.

Lastly, I agree with you about the supernaturals in the game. They could use some refining, fine tuning. All of my gameplay involves supernaturals in some form so I would like to see them fleshed out better.

But before we get anything else, we need the bugs and issues fixed, as you stated. Adding more packs only seems to compound the issues and if we have "years" left on this installment of the sims franchise why not try to improve it to ensure we get that time left?
  • Options
    gothiclolitaplgothiclolitapl Posts: 94 Member
    personally I don't see the need for a farming pack. I know for many its an excuse to have a contextual reason to introduce horses into the game and I understand that, I was a bit bummed when the 'pets' pack turned out to only be cats and dogs and the hamsters became a separate pack.

but like realistically the gardening skill in sims 4 is so extensive that you can just...make a farm on your house lot? build a farm looking house, dedicate a big portion of the lot for harvestables, use terrain tool to make it look more believable and boom, you got a farm
    Origin ID: blackrosespl
    My tumblr: https://blackrose-p-sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm not into farming. But I honestly believe we're getting one rather we want it or not. People are begging for it like university. And the loud beggers seem to get what they want.

It's not my thing but I don't care either way. We all want different stuff. My dream is an apocalyptic pack or at the least zombies so that I can dream up my own apocalypse. 😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,108 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I want everything. I want all the packs (minus the Supernatural elements).

I'm with you. I wish I can completely rid my game of aliens, spellcasters, vampires, and mermaids without removing the Build/Buy and CAS stuff that came with those packs. I buy every single pack and will continue to do so, even if I don't like the theme.
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    There is a mod that improves aliens that I genuinely love.

What's the name of the mod?
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    edited May 2020
    I dont mind farming but see it at game pack level. Before farms though I would like generations especially children and teens improved, werewolves, fairies (my favourite occult) and bands I also loved the idea of some sort of happy haunts pack
    I do really really want horses. I loved the idea of the livin large lot type and rewards as well as tennis.
  • Options
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    drakharis wrote: »
    There is a mod that improves aliens that I genuinely love.

What's the name of the mod?

It's called Enhanced Aliens. It's by this creator however it's not been updated in a while. I personally haven't had issues with the mod however the last post I saw for the mod stated it was still working sort of. I think they removed it from their site recently. I don't know if they have a Patreon Page. If anybody was curious about that.

https://neilsimming.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    I'm not into farming. But I honestly believe we're getting one rather we want it or not. People are begging for it like university. And the loud beggers seem to get what they want.

It's not my thing but I don't care either way. We all want different stuff. My dream is an apocalyptic pack or at the least zombies so that I can dream up my own apocalypse. 😆

Sacrificial does a really good zombie mod I love all their mods
    https://sacrificialmods.com/downloads.html

• Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member

I don't really care for farming. I don't know what new would they introduce in the pack besides farm animals. I'd also like to know how people expect them to make cows and sheep and whatnot because having them each take one of the 8 family slots would make me never wanna have them in my game (very unlikely way of execution for this pack). When I realized each cat and dog took a space from a sim in the household it made me frustrated because I couldn't play with a big family that has a pet.
    And if they are another ''buy an enclosure and separately buy an animal'' (more likely option) like the hamsters in the pack-that-shall-not-be-named, they'd just seem pretty plain to me unless they had a lot of new animations which would then lead to the conclusion that we would probably not get that many animals because they still have to work within the budget they're given. So, the options would be a few detailed animals (probably other gameplay would also stay pretty plain and dull) or more less detailed animals and more something else.

As a clueless European, I have no idea what a country club is (Yes, I tried Googling it and I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it). I just thought country club was the place where old, rich men go to golf. Didn't know it serves other purposes :''D I don't mind the idea of a luxury pack even though we already have luxury packs (although we can debate to the ends of the earth how well those have been executed). But I'm also the type of person that would rather have multiple 30x20 lots than only a few 64x64 lots. I never play on big lots because the houses would have to be gigantic and I don't find a gigantic mansion suitable for my kind of gameplay.

I'd love a generations type of pack that would give depth to different age groups.
    Here's some ideas for the generations type of pack (Obviously these are not fully fleshed-out ideas)
    - Sleepover Event: invite your friends over for a sleepover. Maybe a sleeping bag/mattress item for your guests to sleep in. Interactions like ''talk about crush'' or something like that and maybe candy/crisps as new food items. With movie night stuff you could bring even more depth to it.
    - Bunk beds!
    - Prom Event (Could be a rabbit hole like in TS3): Have your teens take part in high school prom. Ask someone to be your date to the prom or attend on your own or with your friend(s). Be part of the ''prom committee'' and decide the theme for the prom or just attend a randomly themed prom. Have a chance to be the prom king/queen (if you win, you'd get a crown item). Everyone gets a photo from the prom like in TS3 and the background would maybe be different based on which theme you chose. The poses for the photo would depend on whether you decided to go alone/with your date/friend group. Sims could also reject your promposal which would give a negative moodlet (accepted promposal would give a positive moodlet). If the event was a rabbit hole you would get different chance cards like in TS3 (including chance to have a first kiss, start dating, becoming BFF). The chance cards could also affect whether the prom is a success or a failure.
    - Popularity meter for kids and teens (this is just a random idea that popped into my head after not sleeping all night): Teens and kids could have a meter that shows how popular they are in school (so you could be an A student but still be unpopular or you could be really bad at school but still be popular). Popularity would affect your chances of winning prom king/queen or possibly getting promoted at after school activities. They would also get different chance cards based on how popular they are and the chance cards would affect their popularity.
    - Boarding School (probably rabbit hole like in TS3): Pay to send your kids/teens to boarding school. Boarding schools would help your sim learn skills and they could also affect your chances to get into distinguished university degrees or help you start on a higher level in a career that benefits from the school your sim went to. Obviously getting these perks would require your sim to get good grades which could be determined based on random chance cards every once in a while.
    - Bachelor(ette) parties: Get together with your friend group before walking down the isle. Fizzy nectar bottle item. Spontaneous whims that
    could, for example, encourage your sim to kiss a random sim.
    - Romantic Reputation: cheater, player, casanova/doan juan that would affect your chances with romantic relationships. Stronger reactions to cheating. Accuse of cheating and confess to cheating interactions.
    - Memory system: you could see your sim's memories maybe in TS2 type of format. Your sim could sometimes get different moodlets (based on whether the memory was positive/negative) when they reminisce on their past. Sims could share memories with each other to gain moodlets.
    - Walking canes for elders
    - Body hair
    - Mid-life crisis for adults: Spontaneous whims that could encourage your sim to, for example, cheat on their partner, get a tattoo, dye their hair, buy something expensive etc. Acting on these whims would obviously be up to the player.
    - New traits
    - Ask the in-laws for sim's hand in marriage: Even though I don't believe people have to do this in real life it could still be a fun interaction. You could get a positive/neutral/negative reaction based on the relationship between your sim and the in-law(s). Positive reaction could give a positive moodlet. Negative reaction could lead to a negative moodlet, for example, for a day and if you propose to your partner while you still have the moodlet it could result in decreasing the relationship between your sim and the in-law(s).

• Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Current gardening system satisfies the "Farming" part more that enough for me. There are more than enough plans to grow, sell and profit form. Any potential farming pack is seriously weakened by this. What else can it really offer? Animals? TBH, nothing comes to mind that would actually interest me.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    I wouldn't say no to the most packs, just no to the overexpensiv cooperationpacks aka advertisment. I love the different themes. With a farming addon I expect a tourist version of a bavarian farm, not a real farm. Sure I would buy it because of the greater lots which I really wish to have more from it.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    I want a farming pack with occult sim cows. Because... Cows!!! :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavUpD_IjVY
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    A luxury and country club pack sound more boring to me than a farming pack, sorry. Anyway, there is no way that they put yachts, planes, cars, horses, polo, golf, tennis, a new lot type, a new world with massive lots and new careers in one pack. Even all EPs combined together don‘t have that much content. It‘s been six years and they still struggle with bunk beds, remember? If there is a luxury/country pack then you‘d end up very disappointed because all you‘d get is a world with barely any lots, some new buffs, a new lot type and some recycled objects and animations. That‘s it.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I am not particularly interested in a farming pack either. I honestly don't understand why it is so popular and what it could add that I would enjoy, except maybe horses, but I think they could easily have their own pack. There are so many other themes I would prefer too e.g. werewolves, romance, generations, hotels etc. I understand we all have different play styles, but it's still nice to know I am not the only one not fussed on farming. Then again, I wasn't fussed about Discover University either and ended up liking it, so perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    A luxury and country club pack sound more boring to me than a farming pack, sorry. Anyway, there is no way that they put yachts, planes, cars, horses, polo, golf, tennis, a new lot type, a new world with massive lots and new careers in one pack. Even all EPs combined together don‘t have that much content. It‘s been six years and they still struggle with bunk beds, remember? If there is a luxury/country pack then you‘d end up very disappointed because all you‘d get is a world with barely any lots, some new buffs, a new lot type and some recycled objects and animations. That‘s it.

Thing is when most people say they want a farming pack they mean a country club pack. They just want horses. They don't want to be getting up at 4 to milk the cows and muck out the hogs. They don't want to be slaughtering hogs and chickens. They don't want to have to worry about a long drought bankrupting them.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'm not against it per se, but I don't really see the point of having a farming pack. As the OP points out, there are already so many farming games out there.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    Stutum wrote: »
    I'm not against it per se, but I don't really see the point of having a farming pack. As the OP points out, there are already so many farming games out there.

Like "Sim Farm", a game by Maxis. 1993
    ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eLyWFU3Ec
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png