Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Country Livin' NEEDS Story Progression!

Just got back from a youtube binge and a video announcing the possible leak of a new expansion pack of sims 4, Country Livin', the title itself already giving off vibes of open fields, the neighbour's in the distance tending to their crops, livestock, O'Niel's wife helping their children run a lemonade/random fruit juice stand, pets running around happily and engaging with passersby.

The idea in itself screams OPEN WORLD!
But it also...bellows Story Progression.

How can we enjoy freely roaming corn mazes, countrysides and vast orchards if that's all there is?
Time passes, produce never spoils, animals pass but no offspring take their place so eventually, you look out at an empty area, previously busy with whatever animal EA pre-build us tp enjoy, now bare, lacking life, lacking expansion of the generations unless the player forces relationships, interaction, make the game do what it should be doing of its own accord (With options it keep it that way or turn the feature off).

Excuse the depressing visual but that is what we have to look forward to if this leak is true, even without the new content, that is what we have to look forever to every time we open our games, without forced intervention, the world doesn't expand, doesn't evolve and grow, generations die and auto-spawned blank townies fill the void where our much-loved neighbours should be, instead of Bob and Eliza's grandchildren running their home, the building is either empty or taken over by strangers, not even relatives of other families we've grown to know personally.

Story Progression is what will make Country Livin' worth its inevitable price and lacking content, it will keep us going and our saves interesting much longer than they do now because we will have events to look forward to; A new face, similar to a local's but you know it's their relative, a previously petite sim now struggling to waddle home from a friends place, a formerly happy couple suddenly living apart, divorced and yelling at each other whenever they meet because of an affair/rumored event, well-behaved children acting poorly as teenagers, causing trouble and being pains in the plum for locals, forbidden romances, betrayals, new pets and moves to bigger homes to aid a growing family and their lack of space.

We need BOTH features to make Country Livin' worth playing, but mainly, we need Story progression, otherwise, it is just Sulani, a new world with lots of opportunities that have fallen short of what they should've been, at least with a constantly evolving world of sims, it would have given us something to stay for, something to make up for the loading screens and empty beaches, pretty much single-handed clean up of the town and unexplored story possibilities with the pre-made families.

I'm not asking for a miracle or hating on the staff for doing what they can with all of the work they have and recent health risks.

All I am asking is that they realize that SP shouldn't be a poll choice but a definite feature in an upcoming update, it shouldn't be an "If you want it enough, we'll add it if we think its going to make us money", It should be common sense, a game about playing with life, with humanoid creatures, requires an element of sentience, where the creatures can control themselves and do what we do IRL. Otherwise, it's just robots with cute faces.

Comment below with your thoughts and I'll see everyone later

Comments

• Options
    dagbikerdagbiker Posts: 4 New Member
    Story progression seems to be a very high choice. But I think the poll was more about trying to find out what the majority of the player base feels is missing. Not an item list. So, for instance if everyone rated story progression and emotional depth higher, then they might look at both of those and try to find a way to make the game-play deeper.

Don't think of it as an item list. Think of it as a straw pole so Maxis can look at it and get a feel for what the community feel needs improvement in a very general sense.

Having said that, I don't think anyone put it low on the poll, so I fully expect them to do more with it in the future, also I would be incredibly disappointed if they added this depth and put it in an expansion. I agree, but Story Mode needs to be free for the base game.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Given Story Progression only just came up on the poll, it wouldn't be ready to be implemented in the next pack.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I think story progression will come in a patch not as a feature of a pack. And maybe it's too soon as @PlayerSinger2010 just said...
  • Options
    PmlTryPmlTry Posts: 783 Member
    dagbiker wrote: »
    Story progression seems to be a very high choice. But I think the poll was more about trying to find out what the majority of the player base feels is missing. Not an item list. So, for instance if everyone rated story progression and emotional depth higher, then they might look at both of those and try to find a way to make the game-play deeper.

Don't think of it as an item list. Think of it as a straw pole so Maxis can look at it and get a feel for what the community feel needs improvement in a very general sense.

Having said that, I don't think anyone put it low on the poll, so I fully expect them to do more with it in the future, also I would be incredibly disappointed if they added this depth and put it in an expansion. I agree, but Story Mode needs to be free for the base game.

Because everyone's been so mum about it for the past six years...