Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

American High School

Comments

• Options
    MaddHatter198213MaddHatter198213 Posts: 4 New Member
    > @SimAlexandria said:
    > I've wanted a school pack for my kids for ages... but it sounds like what they are thinking about on the poll is not at ALL what I would look for.
    >
    > So now I'm wondering what others want when they say they want "school".
    >
    > The poll sounded like a lot of drama type stuff... when I think of a school pack I'd prefer more studying, going to class with kids and having them turn in assignments etc. A teacher career that's active... letting kids select extra curriculars, giving traits that mean some kids are better at math andothers at PE or science etc. I wanted report cards with differnet subjects, more homework assignments for different classes, etc etc. I don't want gossip, drama, type stuff...
    >
    > Also I'd prefer to have a school pack with more options, private schools, homeschooling, elementary and preschools etc... not just focus on the oldest kiddos.
    >
    > I've wanted school for AGES and am sad I had to vote this so low. Maybe it's because I"m not American but the stuff described just doesn't sound at all like a school environment, maybe in a movie but not a realistic school experience.

Hi SimAlexandria,

I love your idea of having a school Expansion Pack where we could send our children to preschool, then elementary school, middle school/jr. high school, and then high school. I think it would be cool that how they do in school will determine if they can go to University. I like the idea of having a real school and not just a bunch of trama stuff. I mean we can add some drama because as we all know school has drama in it, but I don't want to be some TV show drama stuff. So I would be all game for a school expansion pack. It would be cool if they could give the option of actually attending the Sims school day or letting them do it on their own. Also, could have an Education career path where a Sim could choose from pre-school to high teacher or principal. Very cool idea. I would so be on board for this!
  • Options
    slvrlipes82slvrlipes82 Posts: 344 Member
    I want more game play for my younger sims. I like the idea of more homework, better after school activities, the option to go to school with them and have aspirations or something like them for children and teens to help them get better grades. Not like we have now it's way to easy to get your kids grades up. I want them to have more goals they have to meet. I support your idea more than the dram aspect.
  • Options
    CladriahCladriah Posts: 69 Member
    I would love to see an American high school.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    How do we know if we're not going to have uniforms we can have the option of not having uniforms to wearing uniforms. Also I also would like the option of home school or private school we really don't know what future they might have for this except cliches, drama, and etc. It would've might have potentially more.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    This pack idea has so much potential! I love that they said drama would be a primary focus. I just hope a school pack would also be for children as they desperately need more content. The pack could add so much to flesh out those 2 stages and have the backdrop be an active school lot where various activities and shenanigans could happen.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The highschool survey suggestions sound amazing to me as much as I want my Sims to go to class and I really do I need highschool game play and surely not playing as a teacher yawn, adults have more than enough careers and game play this pack needs to be all about the teens. Drama cliques would be great I dont need all my students walking around with a smile and sitting in a classroom only doing assignments would get boring fast without outside of the class story telling possibilites you dont seem to want.

Also I'm all for the things you mentioned like traits and different types of class rooms pe math and science but just because we get some drama game play tossed in does not mean we would not some of the things you mentioned. How I miss drama in the Sims I'm over always happy and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yeah that poll option sadly shows the Sims 4 American focus. I don't want an American school system. I want it represented worldwide with different school types as well. I was hybrid home and on campus school during my high school year. I would love make your own school events like how Sims 4 Seasons works as well, that way I have more control over the school events instead of the game putting out a script for me to play out. Bringing Driver's Ed back would be nice too. Zerbu's Go to School mod is pretty amazing and I would recommend checking it out. I would love an option for preschool too.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The highschool survey suggestions sound amazing to me as much as I want my Sims to go to class and I really do I need highschool game play and surely not playing as a teacher yawn, adults have more than enough careers and game play this pack needs to be all about the teens. Drama cliques would be great I dont need all my students walking around with a smile and sitting in a classroom only doing assignments would get boring fast without outside of the class story telling possibilites you dont seem to want.

Also I'm all for the things you mentioned like traits and different types of class rooms pe math and science but just because we get some drama game play tossed in does not mean we would not some of the things you mentioned. How I miss drama in the Sims I'm over always happy and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

oh I don't care if they add in drama. I just don't want the pack to be about drama so I can easily ignore it haha. I don't like playing with drama in the sims but if you can create your own or not create it I'm fine. I'd be far more interested in happy smiling sims sitting in class, but I do think it shoud be optional. Like the active careers. You get to pick if you want to attend class or not with your Sim.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I would only like it if the focus was on school clubs and activities. I think that would be fun. I hated highschool so idk if I'd be interested in the drama part but maybe it would be fun in the sims.

Also them calling it American high school is very exclusive and I hope they don't make it like typical teen highschool dramas as I hate those.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    I liked the sat part, the idea of having a final exam... and it also looked like an active school and i like it. But i agree that im not that interested in the drama part, specially if it's going to bring back my least favourite part of 3, the social groups: nerds, jocks... i hated in 3 when all people ended falling into one of this categories.

Agreed. Those stereotypical groups have their place in the world but they shouldn't be the only options if this pack is made, and should certainly be handled in a sensitive manner. When I was a kid and teen we had a lot of TV shows imported from America that presented those stereotypes in a way that negatively impacted my self-perception. I think the world is in a better place now with regard to those stereotypes so if this pack happened it would need to avoid presenting certain groups in a negative light.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DalekFridayDalekFriday Posts: 31 Member
    I would love the drama focus and more gameplay for teens but I really don't see how a high school pack could co-exist with Discover University as it sounds quite similar.

I guess we would get new rabbit holes (that's all we got for classes in DU), wall notifications and pop in; maybe with a high school common area where sims can meet other teens.

I don't think we should expect too much but a playable school with no rabbit holes (like active careers) would be pretty cool.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah that poll option sadly shows the Sims 4 American focus. I don't want an American school system. I want it represented worldwide with different school types as well. I was hybrid home and on campus school during my high school year. I would love make your own school events like how Sims 4 Seasons works as well, that way I have more control over the school events instead of the game putting out a script for me to play out. Bringing Driver's Ed back would be nice too. Zerbu's Go to School mod is pretty amazing and I would recommend checking it out. I would love an option for preschool too.

I would love these options!
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    I don't remember if I voted this last or not but it def wasn't my top 2. The only thing I'd want from a pack like this is Prom.
  • Options
    I don't remember if I voted this last or not but it def wasn't my top 2. The only thing I'd want from a pack like this is Prom.

I wouldn't be interested too much in the prom itself, but if it came with a slow dance interaction that could be used in other places I'd be thrilled with it
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I would love the drama focus and more gameplay for teens but I really don't see how a high school pack could co-exist with Discover University as it sounds quite similar.

I guess we would get new rabbit holes (that's all we got for classes in DU), wall notifications and pop in; maybe with a high school common area where sims can meet other teens.

I don't think we should expect too much but a playable school with no rabbit holes (like active careers) would be pretty cool.
    Seeing as Discover University boring world probably took a huge chunk of that pack budget I'd hope a highschool pack left out the world and instead added actual game play with things such as active classrooms because if not whats the point it would be as boring as University discover rabbitholes.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    So now I'm wondering what others want when they say they want "school".
    I want something more universal, and less 'american'

The 'american' experience does not reflect mine, so I'd like a school pack that has a lot of flexible options.

I want the option of a school dance, where the player can decide what sort of school dance it is. If they want a prom, they can call it that, if it's to be a blue-light disco, so be it, if they want a homecoming, they can have it, if they want a formal, that's what it can be.
    The school dance should also have more details that are player controlled. Set the theme, is it formal? Is it fancy dress? Is it party clothes? Set where the music will come from, and the genre, will it be played by a band or a dj? Set the catering options, will there be a fancy dinner? Will there be a bar? Will there be a punch bowl?

Let the player set if the school will have a casual dress code, a strict one, will it have uniforms, and if so, which style?

How will the students have lunch? Let the player decide! You could have a cafeteria, or a tuck shop, maybe it's all byo.

Graduation? Yes? No? Let the player choose!

School muck up day? Yes? No? Let the player choose!

It really needs to be more open to different cultural variation, and not just one rigid style.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    DalekFridayDalekFriday Posts: 31 Member
    > @ChadSims2 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Seeing as Discover University boring world probably took a huge chunk of that pack budget I'd hope a highschool pack left out the world and instead added actual game play with things such as active classrooms because if not whats the point it would be as boring as University discover rabbitholes.

Totally agreed. Britechester is a nice world but it's quite boring as only one neighborhood has playable lots, so it would be really cool to focus on active classrooms (with one main building just like in Stangerville?) instead of building a whole new world.
  • Options
    Drago97232Drago97232 Posts: 59 Member
    I would love a High School pack with drama features. I would make the pack more interesting and more fun.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I don't want to follow my kid to school (sounds boring), plus, as another poster pointed out, you can't control Sims in more than one location, so while I'm doing a checklist for my kid, the rest of the family is raiding the fridge. I wouldn't mind if I had the option to not accompany my kid, as with active careers, so long as it wouldn't have a negative impact on their grades.

I'm not keen on an Americanised version or a lot of drama - that wasn't fun when I was in high school, and I've no desire to relive it. I like the way they've done University, allowing students to get involved in campus social life or not.

As for SATs, they won't call them that, and I think most countries have some version of a completion or assessment exam - many American students now go for the international baccalaureate because it gives them credit toward university classes and can also be used for study abroad.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    It would be nice to have a prom, after school activities and an actual graduation instead of being "unpaid day worker" until age up to young adult.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited May 2020
    @SimAlexandria not sure where you are from, but in Brazil I still had bullying, drama, gossip, dating, etc happening in my high school. Students are not robots. They have added those in the description, just like they always do to University with the partying, getting drunk, having boyfriend/girlfriend, going to the comic store, etc... They jsut pack a bunch of YA themes with the university to fill the pack more.

@InuMiroLover yeah, having boarding schools like the sims 3 one would be cool, but I would love to have the Directors come to dinner to evaluate if your kid deserves the chance.
  • Options
    Karon wrote: »
    @SimAlexandria not sure where you are from, but in Brazil I still had bullying, drama, gossip, dating, etc happening in my high school. Students are not robots. They have added those in the description, just like they always do to University with the partying, getting drunk, having boyfriend/girlfriend, going to the comic store, etc... They jsut pack a bunch of YA themes with the university to fill the pack more.

I'm in Canada. I've never said those things din't happen, but they didn't seem that big, the studying part seemed a lot more the main part of school. If that stuff happened it was mostly outside of school... I barely noticed any of it. Definitely not drama. Maybe one or two kids got bullied and yeah, kids dated, but they weren't going on dates in school, at school they were in a classroom studying. The classroom part was by far the "biggest" part of attending school.

The university pack is not my favourite one either. In fact it's my least favourite expansion. THe homework part I enjoy but that's about it (that and soccer). I was really disappointed I couldn't follow the uni students to class. Just the homework and soccer and bikes made me buy the pack but I regret getting it full price for sure as it was really lacking for that price.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I went to a big highschool in canada and before went to another big highschool in another province so I've experienced highschool in different provinces in canada. And I agree that there doesn't seem to be big cliques and drama that happens much. Of course there was drama but it wasn't that big. And the cliques thing was never relatable for me because we had ppl who did sports (like me) but those ppl were also really smart and cared a lot about their grades. So not the typical jock. Also never seen kids get bullied for being smart that never made sense to me. Like bullying was never a huge thing but if it happened it was about something else. And also the smart kids always had a lot of friends and basically kinda popular but our school was big so there was never really a popular group.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I went to a big highschool in canada and before went to another big highschool in another province so I've experienced highschool in different provinces in canada. And I agree that there doesn't seem to be big cliques and drama that happens much. Of course there was drama but it wasn't that big. And the cliques thing was never relatable for me because we had ppl who did sports (like me) but those ppl were also really smart and cared a lot about their grades. So not the typical jock. Also never seen kids get bullied for being smart that never made sense to me. Like bullying was never a huge thing but if it happened it was about something else. And also the smart kids always had a lot of friends and basically kinda popular but our school was big so there was never really a popular group.

That was my experience as well. Studies came first. Sports were fun but they werne't anything like I've seen in AMerican movies about school sports where there's huge crowds at games and cheerleaders etc. I don't recall much drama or cliques. Sure some kids were more popular than others, but that's just because they were more outgoing and wanted more friends,they were open to being friends with everyone so they had a lot of friends, it wasn't some group of snobby "mean girls" type. I saw the odd kid get bullied, but it was rare and it was never done by the popular kids
  • Options
    ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    I am not american... and i was bullied in my high school for being smart, by the popular ones... and i even went to a small high school... my former BFF went to a big school, and they had cliques and all that, and super much partying and all that stuff... i know it is very american the way... but we had it in my country as well... and from what i have heard from younger family members it havent gotten less since i left high school 12 years ago... and my university was a lot the same... i would be interesting in playing all the drama... i like my games very drama filled and with lots of different types of game play... i am one of those who wouldnt find it very interesting to have to sit and stare at the screen while my sims were attending class... at least unless i had to focus on it and do some kind of answer where whatever i said actually had consequnces... like falling in grades... or lower test score... then i would find it interesting and focus on absorbing the knowledges...

I would find it funny to have my teens date and sneak around and go to prom... and sneak out at night and get caught and all that..