Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

American High School

Comments

• Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    One of the big issues I have with the suggestion of a school pack is that how can you make something entertaining to play yet still recognisably a school?

The difference between the university packs and a possible school one is that there is very little gameplay regarding the university itself, it is mostly go to a rabbit hole task and write a term paper, the focus has always been stuff associated with campus living: dorms, parties etc. Universities in real life tend to have limited contact hours with the focus on independent learning.

In contrast, schools are pretty much solidly contact hours, lead by a teacher. It would essentially be watching your sims watch a sim. The description makes it sound like there would be very little school activity with the focus on creating your own CW teen drama or an 80s teen film, with focus on cliques, cafeterias, and hallways rather than the classrooms themselves.

I could see it better with a playable boarding school where the focus is on a new living situation like the university packs. Such as living in dormitories and activities after the school day.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    One of the big issues I have with the suggestion of a school pack is that how can you make something entertaining to play yet still recognisably a school?

The difference between the university packs and a possible school one is that there is very little gameplay regarding the university itself, it is mostly go to a rabbit hole task and write a term paper, the focus has always been stuff associated with campus living: dorms, parties etc. Universities in real life tend to have limited contact hours with the focus on independent learning.

In contrast, schools are pretty much solidly contact hours, lead by a teacher. It would essentially be watching your sims watch a sim. The description makes it sound like there would be very little school activity with the focus on creating your own CW teen drama or an 80s teen film, with focus on cliques, cafeterias, and hallways rather than the classrooms themselves.

I could see it better with a playable boarding school where the focus is on a new living situation like the university packs. Such as living in dormitories and activities after the school day.

Rather than having them watch a teacher, I'd prefer them to have assignments like "write a paper, do a presentation, hand in an assignemnt" type thing. But definitely optional like the acitve career so you could follow or not. For a high school I'd like them to have to attend different classes like "Find your way to the math class" etc. but for elementary stay in the same class but have "recess" times or "painting" etc.
  • Options
    ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    > @Thetford said:
    >
    >
    > I could see it better with a playable boarding school where the focus is on a new living situation like the university packs. Such as living in dormitories and activities after the school day.
    OHHH this would be so cool with the boarding school and the kids having homesickness and such... also especially since boarding schools will sometimeshave some of the drama as well... at least mine had... but run your own boarding school would be super cool...
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited May 2020
    I feel exactly the same.
    I've wanted a school pack for my kids for ages... but it sounds like what they are thinking about on the poll is not at ALL what I would look for.

So now I'm wondering what others want when they say they want "school".

The poll sounded like a lot of drama type stuff... when I think of a school pack I'd prefer more studying, going to class with kids and having them turn in assignments etc. A teacher career that's active... letting kids select extra curriculars, giving traits that mean some kids are better at math andothers at PE or science etc. I wanted report cards with differnet subjects, more homework assignments for different classes, etc etc. I don't want gossip, drama, type stuff...

Also I'd prefer to have a school pack with more options, private schools, homeschooling, elementary and preschools etc... not just focus on the oldest kiddos.

I've wanted school for AGES and am sad I had to vote this so low. Maybe it's because I"m not American but the stuff described just doesn't sound at all like a school environment, maybe in a movie but not a realistic school experience.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

Rather than having them watch a teacher, I'd prefer them to have assignments like "write a paper, do a presentation, hand in an assignemnt" type thing. But definitely optional like the acitve career so you could follow or not. For a high school I'd like them to have to attend different classes like "Find your way to the math class" etc. but for elementary stay in the same class but have "recess" times or "painting" etc.

But again, you're just sitting there watching them do homework... which you can do at home while controlling the rest of the family.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

But again, you're just sitting there watching them do homework... which you can do at home while controlling the rest of the family.

IDeally Id like a homeschool option, but yeah that's why it'd have to be optionall. I'd be far more entertained watching homework then watching drama haha. In fact watching my SIms do homework is one of my fav parts of the game haha. I have no problem with drama being added, it just doesn't seem school related so I'd prefer it to be optional and not a full pack based on that kind of thing when it's nothing to do with school. School should be about education so make a school pack about that. Make it optional to attend or not, but give us the option and make a drama pack that adds drama to all aspects of the game for ppl that want it kinda thing.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

I tried that one before but it's never worked for me so I gave up on it haha.
  • Options

Oh no bummer. I know I have to install this mod too to make it work:
    https://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/160347810775/the-sims-4-mod-venue-changes

But yes it could be outdated. At least there is a video to enjoy for some school ideas.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    there is also this mod https://www.kawaiistaciemods.com/post/better-schools-mod it isnt a full fuctional school but it has some school activities and settings on it...
  • Options

But yes it could be outdated. At least there is a video to enjoy for some school ideas.

@ladybugjosie23 Unfortunatel I have trouble with that one too, but it's a great mod. It used to work for me several months ago before a few updates and then it stopped.

@ Scobre, thanks. I don't have that other mod so maybe that is my issue. I'll try it next time I'm playing the family that I want to attend school and hopefully that is the issue.

Overall though, I'd still love a proper pack from EA as I don't use many mods in my game. I try to just have MCCC and a couple of littlemssam ones and maybe 2-3 others because it's such a pain to update them all the time haha!
  • Options

@ladybugjosie23 Unfortunatel I have trouble with that one too, but it's a great mod. It used to work for me several months ago before a few updates and then it stopped.

@ Scobre, thanks. I don't have that other mod so maybe that is my issue. I'll try it next time I'm playing the family that I want to attend school and hopefully that is the issue.

Overall though, I'd still love a proper pack from EA as I don't use many mods in my game. I try to just have MCCC and a couple of littlemssam ones and maybe 2-3 others because it's such a pain to update them all the time haha!
    Oh I totally understand. luthienrising has an excellent list on forums to keep track, but yes it can be a pain with each patch. I had a few CC I made that broke with patches.
  • Options

Oh I totally understand. luthienrising has an excellent list on forums to keep track, but yes it can be a pain with each patch. I had a few CC I made that broke with patches.

thanks I'll look for that list! I don't use ANY Cc for that reason haha. Game play mods I do have a few, but CC is just too much to bother with for me haha! I have all the packs except Tiny Living and Vampires and so there's enough there for me to use without CC at this point anyways. (I do hope to get Tiny Living one day but I wanna wait for a bundle or sale)
  • Options
    > @SimAlexandria said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > @ladybugjosie23 Unfortunatel I have trouble with that one too, but it's a great mod. It used to work for me several months ago before a few updates and then it stopped.
    >

have you tried the latest update? as she just reposted it again this weekend...
  • Options
    > @Scobre said:
    > (Quote)
    > Oh I totally understand. luthienrising has an excellent list on forums to keep track, but yes it can be a pain with each patch. I had a few CC I made that broke with patches.

what list is that? and how do i use that one? as i do have problems with the updating...
  • Options
    > @Scobre said:
    > (Quote)
    > Oh I totally understand. luthienrising has an excellent list on forums to keep track, but yes it can be a pain with each patch. I had a few CC I made that broke with patches.

what list is that? and how do i use that one? as i do have problems with the updating...
    Here you go: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974136/broken-updated-mods-cc-april-20-patch
  • Options
    > @Scobre said:
    > (Quote)

Here you go: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974136/broken-updated-mods-cc-april-20-patch

thank you :-) this will really help me... as i play with a lot of CC and lots of mods...
  • Options
    HopeCrashHopeCrash Posts: 119 Member
    The idea of ​​a high school package is very interesting to me. In my opinion it would be more fun to play in high school than university, for example. I hardly play with DU. I have tried several times but I think it is boring and repetitive. No matter what class you go, everything looks the same - a rabbit hole, a final test, a presentation. It's very boring to see my sims doing homework and preparing for tests.
    In TS3, but especially in TS2, the university pack focuses on the life of university students - dorms, fraternities, parties, cheerleaders - much more fun! In TS4 is just rabbit holes and living with roommates. I get no further value from that.
    That's why I'm excited about the High School idea, especially that they want to focus on drama and cliques. I want to experience high school like a teen movie - with popular kids, jocks and nerds. Has anyone here played Rockstar game "Bully"? That's the direction I'm thinking of - less exams and homework, more social options related to high school setting.

The only thing that worries me - how does it make sense that Sims from Sulani and Sims from Windenburg attend to the same high school? It makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    HopeCrash wrote: »
    The idea of ​​a high school package is very interesting to me. In my opinion it would be more fun to play in high school than university, for example. I hardly play with DU. I have tried several times but I think it is boring and repetitive. No matter what class you go, everything looks the same - a rabbit hole, a final test, a presentation. It's very boring to see my sims doing homework and preparing for tests.
    In TS3, but especially in TS2, the university pack focuses on the life of university students - dorms, fraternities, parties, cheerleaders - much more fun! In TS4 is just rabbit holes and living with roommates. I get no further value from that.
    That's why I'm excited about the High School idea, especially that they want to focus on drama and cliques. I want to experience high school like a teen movie - with popular kids, jocks and nerds. Has anyone here played Rockstar game "Bully"? That's the direction I'm thinking of - less exams and homework, more social options related to high school setting.

The only thing that worries me - how does it make sense that Sims from Sulani and Sims from Windenburg attend to the same high school? It makes no sense at all.

You do know there are also fraternities and parties in sims 4 right? including a secret organisation...
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    HopeCrash wrote: »

I'd hope they make a system so you can set which students go to the school so that its not random everytime.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    this is why I use a mod to make school attendance optional in my games. Because young Sims can live a far richer and more interesting life, still study and do homework, still build science projects and do art, still get together with friends, and still date, far better without school eating up all their time, than with it. But then I find school as a social institution, hollow and inflated in its importance, and you can still go to prom if you homeschool, only...that's another overrated and essentially hollow experience. imo.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    this is why I use a mod to make school attendance optional in my games. Because young Sims can live a far richer and more interesting life, still study and do homework, still build science projects and do art, still get together with friends, and still date, far better without school eating up all their time, than with it. But then I find school as a social institution, hollow and inflated in its importance, and you can still go to prom if you homeschool, only...that's another overrated and essentially hollow experience. imo.

I homeschool my own kid and really want that option in my game :)
  • Options
    HopeCrashHopeCrash Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2020
    In a survey a few years ago, they offered a boarding school options:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/5vsz5i/another_survey_possible_expansion/

(Sorry idk how to post pictures)
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

I homeschool my own kid and really want that option in my game :)

I think homeschooling is great, especially if you live in an area with strong support for it! When I get married and have children I definitely want to homeschool my children and be involved in their education. I'm especially excited about all the field trips I would go to with them!

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Can we have schools like this in The Sims?

grease_venice1.jpg

This is Venice High in L.A. which is actually the school that they used in Grease and also used in Brittney Spears first music video
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg