Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't place modular staircase - Can't Intersect Foundation

I am about ready to pull my hair out trying to figure out why this sort of spiral-ish stair case will not go in a building, no matter what size, shape, or ceiling height I put the room at.

vaVWrEx.jpg

I just get the message that the staircase can't intersect foundations.

8loBqgG.jpg

If I remove the ceiling I can set the staircase in the room, but then obviously the problem is that the staircase goes to no where. As soon as I try to add flooring to the second floor, the staircase gets removed by the game. I have cheats on and bb.moveobjects running. I've also tried laying down the stairs first, then building around it. Any other stair configuration goes in to the building fine, just not this particular one that is semi-spiral staircase shape.

I find staircases and roofs to be the most frustrating thing ever in building XD

Comments

• Options
    lexisplays_thesimslexisplays_thesims Posts: 1 New Member
    I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, it's not you, it's a bug. I recreated the same situation OP showed in their images and used the same stairs in the same configuration. If you place those stairs on any floor above ground level, they work just fine. If you swing around the lower 4 steps 180° to the other side you can place the stairs inside the room on ground level just fine as well. If you then want to rotate the lower 4 steps back to OP's original configuration, the stair placement becomes impossible again. Feel free to file a bug report and maybe it'll get fixed somewhere in May... 2024 ;).
  • Options
    MissClairelyMissClairely Posts: 15 Member
    Same problem here. Not to mention the fact that once you DO finally give up and throw down some regular stairs, surprise! The wall you placed the stairs against now now longer has an exterior trim. Enjoy hanging lights on that huge, ugly gap this holiday season!

Just another QOL issue EA shrugs at and says "eh, the modders will fix it." That's nice and all, but you shouldn't be selling this game for console if it's literally unplayable without mods...and it pretty much is. I hate it. I hate that if I really want to have fun with this game I have to re-purchase every single pack (along with a gaming PC) just so I can use mods to fix the MOUNTAIN of issues EA is too lazy to fix.

We're only getting skin tones and makeup now because of current events. If they really cared, they'd have put customizable skin, eyes, and hair in the game from day one. You shouldn't have to pick between "white girl hair" and "black girl hair" -- you should select your hair color, then select a hair TEXTURE (thin, smooth & shiny, loose curls, tight curls, thick and wavy, loose waves, tight waves, perm/relaxed, etc etc, THEN select your hair STYLE. So that every character of every race can wear every hair style without having to choose between picking one of <10 "black girl" hairstyles that look realistic but the style of which they dislike, or choosing a hairstyle that looks super cute...but has white or Asian hair texture.

I know that's unrelated to stairs, but god, this game is SO BROKEN in so many ways. I honestly wish they'd scrap Sims 5 and focus on actually making Sims 4 playable and functional.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited September 2020
    EDIT: Sorry I was thinking of another staircase annoyance
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    OMG - when did we get that staircase and where do I find it ??????
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    It really sucks when you can't get it like you want (even without bugs).

You also can't place a staircase under another turned one (meaning not a straight one) if you have foundation, makes no sense, it would have looked SO good in a house I made a while back :D
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited September 2020
    Found this video:https://youtube.com/watch?v=DEictSJph0Y

I'm going to have to try this tonight.