Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Orient Express community collab

Comments

• Options
    soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member
    Sandraelle wrote: »
    @soocoolsim, I can do another dining car. Paula will you also put me down for this one on the Royal Scotsman train? Dining car #2 (choice of either red or tan/gold upholstery).Thx!

Thank you @Sandraelle . I've added your claim on page 1.
  • Options
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    ciane wrote: »
    I'd love to do a ruined railroad car junk yard @Jessabeans! That sounds like great fun!

Great! I have it over by the chunnel entrance. Let me know if you need a bigger lot for it.
    264c52b159ae82475553a1286abdf58d07631cbb.png

Thank you @ciane . I've added your claim to the junkyard in the London area.
  • Options
    @Jessabeans - I never need a larger lot, LOL!! I see where you want it and I think that's a great place for it! I'll work on it after I get the other train cars done.

@socoolsims - That engine and cars are looking good!

I'm going to check my train cars and make sure they have those connectors the way they need to be.

LOL, that's not my engine @ciane . I think its the animated game train object, right @Jessabeans ? Will be really cool to have moving trains appearing on the other tracks.
  • Options
    @soocoolsim - I decided to tweak all the train cars to make sure they are the same as the others with the connectors bolts facing the train cars and the stairs all skinny side in and as far out as possible. All the plumbing was upgraded too. The uploads have pics in them, so I'll probably delete those on my site to make room for others.

VSOE:
    Sleeper here: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9357587
    Diner here: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9357585

Royal Scotsman:
    Lounge here: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9357584

Beautiful @ciane . I've updated page 1 to reflect the new links.
  • Options
    suzses wrote: »
    @soocoolsim I seem to be in slow mode today, but I'm working on uploading my three finished cars. One is up now, and I'll keep adding onto this post as I finish the others.

Since I don't have tons of pictures, I decided to place them in the same album on my Flickr. So far, only the shots of Cygnus are up, but I'll keep adding on there. (Everything I have at this point is up now.)

Pics of all train cars here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKEeLfr

Downloads:
    British Pullman Cygnus Parlour Car: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9357596
    British Pullman Minerva Parlour Car: (coming)
    Royal Scotsman Green Dining Car: (coming)

Lovely @suzses . I've added the links on page 1.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I tried out adding in decorative train tracks that connect the city areas.

I don't really like how they look. I think I am going to switch to the other track for that lays flat on the ground anywhere the trains don't sit on top of them. It's hard to line them up with only straight tracks, and the flat brown ones have a curved piece. The bridge pieces could look nice occasionally on the mountains, but seeing them everywhere feels like too much. It's possible it won't be so overwhelming once the trees are in.

Thoughts?
    8cc36e72e087d334e0fc792448231a58bb9271f5.jpg
    72b8d28c3c000d8581306fe81ef469bbb47d8ad7.jpg
    0a00837d5f004cde07e0622b8031600a27785c76.jpg
    288b0e7d0b11c32b1f29caa7058d0a51f5a40897.jpg
    b357255af3fa8eb2b17afa29fe2a4b4ba47917e7.jpg

I agree so many raised bridge pieces seems a bit too much @Jessabeans .

Edited to modify my answer. I did not look well enough at the screenshots last night. What if instead of all the raised bridges some sections of the raised track went “into” the mountains range / hills rather that over? Could you put a small single tunnel* where the track approached and left the mountain and hide any gaps with boulders and bushes? And as you said, other sections can be partially hidden with bushes? Or just as you said use the raised tracks in straight bursts near the stations. You are doing a fantastic job so what works best from your perspective 🤗

BTW...it’s worth repeating how much I love the mountains

* edited again... if the CAW tunnel is too large for that purpose, perhaps we can make a fake tunnel lot for placement as desired. Just throwing out ideas. I would need to go in game to experiment this evening.
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
  • Options
    Sandraelle wrote: »
    Think I'm about done with my "Gwen" dining car for the Pullman. Here's a sneak peek. @suzses, I see you posted some pics, will look at them tomorrow. Nite all!
    9SdDtWy.jpg

Looking lovely @Sandraelle :D
  • Options

Wow @everyone, you've been pretty busy while I've been out on a lovely mother-daughters day today :smiley:

I hope I caught everyone's updates. Please do check your items are correct as listed on page 1 and let me know of any changes. HAGN all!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @suzses – Where to start? I love the cabinet shelving combo with the tea set up, the way you snuck in that planter behind the buffet table and more on top the wine racks, and the shelves for the lamps beside the buffet table as well. I love the white marble table lamps and those perfect wall lamps in the Minera along with those big stuffed chairs with their interesting pattern and your green carpet choice! I never use that painting because of the weird wood frame shape, but it’s striking. And I love the look of those tea tables.
    Now I’m feeling guilty for not commenting enough on all the train cars. I am usually just stopping in quickly to see if there are any issues and resolutions. Today, I slept in and opened the thread before loading my game. I’ll have to make sure to do a better job commenting.

@Jessabeans – I’m not a world builder and can only imagine how much time and effort goes into this. I agree the train bridges seem a bit overwhelming right now and maybe trees and finished lots will gentle the look. I’m also just along for the ride, so whatever is decided works for me. You are awesome and the fact that you are building a train world is beyond awesome!

@soocoolsim - We are definitely keeping you busy, aren't we? I hope you enjoy your mother-daughter time together. We don't take enough time for that and it's precious beyond measure.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited January 2020
    @ciane Thank you so much :) I feel the same way about my comments on this project. I stop by with a "it's great/lovely/beautiful/elegant" :D and don't get much more said, and there's lots and lots to love and appreciate in all the builds. It's just kind of hard to keep up with what I'm doing and what everyone else is doing all at the same time.

@Jessabeans Since ciane has already said everything I've been thinking since I saw your post yesterday, I'll just second the comment.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim When I started my post yesterday with all my download and picture links in one place, I thought I would be making things easy for you, but since it took me forever to finish and it's all back on page 13 now, I don't think it worked out that way. :D Anyway, I just thought I should give you a heads up that I've now added all the links for the train car downloads.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options

Thanks @suzses , no prob. I’ve added the additional links on page 1.
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited January 2020
    Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I know right now I'm the only one working on the world aspect but I still want everyone to feel involved with it. I'm working with a modified version of @soocoolsim's original sketch, and would like to incorporate any ideas anyone participating has. Anything that doesn't work out is due to limitations with CAW or my own.

I like the look of the train rails, but having the whole loop feels like too much. I am going to leave some of the parts in the hills for now, and see how much trees softens it. I am going to remove all the ones from the ground area that do not have trains sitting on them. I didn't like the seam switching between the tracks on the ground so I will go with the short span into a tunnel idea for the train lot connected track. Maybe I'll have it disappear into and out of tunnels in the mountains in spots but a not the full loop.

I've seen some really beautiful pictures of where the Orient Express line travels through scotland with raised bridges.
    glenfinnan-viaduct-photo-not-by-baker.jpg

I would like to stick with the original idea was to have the low, closed in look where it travels through Switzerland for the rural mountain area of the world.
    accommodation_photos__vsoe_1366x570_train_exterior_scene18-1600x500-cc.jpg

I wish they had included a curve or flat piece of track that matched the bridges but I'm happy there are tracks at all.

Another question about the world, then I will catch up with the thread.

I have the water level as high as I can have it without getting grey snow in winter.
    Grey snow in winter, but the canal water is higher and easier to build water access on for homes. Looks closer to Venice

8b9fb96cad0e3e48ea7d2ea346690362c9e309d0.jpg

No grey snow, but steps down to the water.

dd1f7346b59daf3ddc39cb8fbbbadd85f9ba3a15.jpg

I don't have screenshots from my most recent water routing test but the water is a little higher than it is in this picture. I put in the retaining walls to make the canal edges look a little better. But the water is still low. Also, the retaining walls being under the lots is causing similar issues with the train track under the lots, randomly disappearing while editing.

3c5401ca9ecbab4489be84bdd7613e2ddfd11b83.jpg

I can raise the water height to make the venice homes just above the water line. Like this, but Venice will be that grey color in winter and not have any snowfall.

847140578d0c00d110777e9abb4b7389.jpg

Do any of you have a preference or thoughts about the water height vs snow? So far Hollow is in favor of having a higher water level. I'm against, the grey snow is a pet peeve of mine because of Aurora Skies but I'll go with the consensus.

For now, we've settled on her building on normal lots and me adding them in with docks in Edit in Game because I'm not getting the same issues with the walls or train track there. But It's an easy change to raise the water level, I would likely do away with the retaining walls if I do.
  • Options
    @Jessabeans I dislike that grey snow in Aurora Skies every bit as much as you do, but it's just so out of place in that world. In Venice? I think they just get light snows, so it might not bother me as much. It sure would look a lot more like Venice with the water level higher. I'm guessing most of the rest of the world's elevations are such that it won't be an issue at other locations? (I haven't been in the world yet but was planning to remedy that today or early this week.)
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    @Jessabeans - I never need a larger lot, LOL!! I see where you want it and I think that's a great place for it! I'll work on it after I get the other train cars done.

@socoolsims - That engine and cars are looking good!

I'm going to check my train cars and make sure they have those connectors the way they need to be.

LOL, that's not my engine @ciane . I think its the animated game train object, right @Jessabeans ? Will be really cool to have moving trains appearing on the other tracks.

That's right, the little train in the picture by the tunnel entrance is the still version of the special effect train. I was going to place the moving/disappearing version on some of the decorative track. I am looking forward to seeing the engine lot.

@suzses I'll be back to look over all your train car pictures after I make lunch.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    suzses wrote: »
    @Jessabeans I dislike that grey snow in Aurora Skies every bit as much as you do, but it's just so out of place in that world. In Venice? I think they just get light snows, so it might not bother me as much. It sure would look a lot more like Venice with the water level higher. I'm guessing most of the rest of the world's elevations are such that it won't be an issue at other locations? (I haven't been in the world yet but was planning to remedy that today or early this week.)

We posted at the same time I think. That's correct, I've sank Venice lower to the sealevel than the London or Paris areas so it will only effect the island. Also, only the flat parts of the island, the areas that will be treed are higher so they will get snow too.

If you haven't seen the world yet you should wait until next week. I'm slowly getting closer to having the 'lite' version ready to build in and you won't need to uninstall any of the test versions.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Yes, a mix of both tracks sounds pretty good @Jessabeans . Does the grey snow only show up in Venice? I think it’s worth raising the water level for the more authentic look and lessen concerns re the retaining walls. Not the whole world needs to have a white winter. What do others think?
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
  • Options
    romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    Since my computer doesn't handle weather well I don't play with snow turned on except to do a pic here or there that I need snow in, so I vote for the higher water level to make Venice look more authentic.
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    edited January 2020
    Amazing work @Jessabeans! I vote for the higher water level too to get the better Venice look. Can't wait to see your "lite" version next week. :)

EDIT: Are we supposed to be keeping track of the store items we use in our lots? Thought Jess mentioned that she had to make sure store stuff was loaded in the world? Or does it matter? Just thought I'd check.
    Post edited by Sandraelle on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Thanks everyone for your input, I will raise the water level for Venice and get rid of the retaining walls.

This shouldn't matter, I doubt anyone was planning a tomb, but I thought I would make a note of it. If you are planning a Venice build, don't use a tomb room marker in the basement, because it will float if placed below sea level and you will have the effects you wanted in some spot upstairs.

@Sandraelle If you can, I would appreciate it. I can look at the items that the exchange auto-detects and make sure those are installed but it doesn't show me world or venue items so if you remember using an item from a world or venue it would be helpful to make a note of it.

I usually have store installed, but CAW really chugs along and crashes more when more items are loaded into it so I only install the store items that are used in the world. Right now I only have Monte Vista, the Last Venue of Amore and the Bakery venue installed. I think I saw the towels from Olympian Physique and flowers from Grandpas Grove in someone build?

@suzses Your Cygnus Parlour car looks great. Yet again, when I was looking at the reference train cars I wasn't sure about the decor but seeing your sim version it looks lovely. I like how you were able to incorporate so many lovely little decor elements but overall it looks so clean and put together. I like how you've divided up the car with the bakery windows, and the coffee/champagne area looks great.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input, I will raise the water level for Venice and get rid of the retaining walls.

This shouldn't matter, I doubt anyone was planning a tomb, but I thought I would make a note of it. If you are planning a Venice build, don't use a tomb room marker in the basement, because it will float if placed below sea level and you will have the effects you wanted in some spot upstairs.

@Sandraelle If you can, I would appreciate it. I can look at the items that the exchange auto-detects and make sure those are installed but it doesn't show me world or venue items so if you remember using an item from a world or venue it would be helpful to make a note of it.

I usually have store installed, but CAW really chugs along and crashes more when more items are loaded into it so I only install the store items that are used in the world. Right now I only have Monte Vista, the Last Venue of Amore and the Bakery venue installed. I think I saw the towels from Olympian Physique and flowers from Grandpas Grove in someone build?

@suzses Your Cygnus Parlour car looks great. Yet again, when I was looking at the reference train cars I wasn't sure about the decor but seeing your sim version it looks lovely. I like how you were able to incorporate so many lovely little decor elements but overall it looks so clean and put together. I like how you've divided up the car with the bakery windows, and the coffee/champagne area looks great.

Ok, will do. That's good to know about the venues, because I did use wallpapers from the Boardwalk. How do you want us to provide you the list? In this thread, or through private message?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @Sandraelle Thanks, I'll go ahead and put the boardwalk venue in to be installed. I can just go back and check lot upload posts when I'm getting ready to place lots. So if you want to make a note if you used world, venue items or if something didn't detect on your upload post I'll be sure it's installed. No one needs to go back and edit your train car posts but if you want to mention previous items on your next upload post I'll see it then. They are being linked on the first page so I can easily go back and check them.

I will check out the lots and look for any replaced items during testing too.

Oh one difference is if you send me the lot as a simpack and don't upload it to your studio first. It would be helpful to know of any store content used in that case. But I would prefer everyone upload to their studios if they can and only have lots that are unique to the world terrain (like docks or if built on a slope) be exclusive to the world.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    BRITISH PULLMAN, GWEN

I loved the color scheme that the "Gwen" dining car had in the British Pullman, so here is my rendition.

The majority of seating is for 2, but I included two 4-seat tables, as well as two semi-private "coupe" compartments in the back. The restaurant serves meals from the menu or you can eat from the buffet. Since I read that each Pullman car had unique mosaic tiled bathrooms, I wanted to make space to include one regular bathroom (and also have two other all-in-ones). I carried that same flooring into the entrance areas on each end. I removed one side door as well to make room for that kitchen and bathroom.
    fPOIe74.jpg

IpBbU4Q.jpg

PmmvxpW.jpg

PICTURES

EXCHANGE DOWNLOAD

Store item notes for @Jessabeans: As you know, I used wall covering from the "Boardwalk" venue and of course items from the "Business as Usual" venue. All the other items are individual store objects.

P.S. I'm waiting to upload my lots to when you release the next version of your world, in case the tracks sit differently. I'd like to have a good picture with the train on the rails. :)
    Post edited by Sandraelle on
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @Sandraelle - Love the way your carpet mimics the diamonds and the use of the storybook windows! But what I'm really impressed with is the use of that little round table centered between the couches to make those cozy little coupe compartments! Great choice of pictures for the wall and great layout that isn't symmetrical, yet still looks well balanced!
  • Options
    Okay I did another snow test after sinking Venice. If this is okay, then I'm done will all the major sculpting. I will start laying in lots, roads, streetlamps and trees. I'll remove/add train track sections as I go filling in trees.
    I have Venice lowered to roughly 1 tile above sealevel.
    042dbbd764186014cd5e9c5fb9ba024014733a6c.jpg
    Canal view
    7c930c9403ef716983d6ae16da1923b62eced033.jpg

This is one of the areas of Venice that will have trees and grass. It's still snowy.
    5b3a3d97f04d5738e80aa28134d44d3fdd23782b.jpg

I checked the other areas for grey patches and didn't find any.
    Paris
    4ff27574ee9664482426a2ef9c30e8fc1c8bb366.jpg
    London
    2a9cc0dc163e7fd346e88e31de98a233b344b493.jpg
    Alps area
    4ed4b7f59d09618a3aecaa32c3b792c1d2f52c3e.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top