Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

👽 "My Face is Melting," a thread on the Alien face bug no one's fixing

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    edited April 2021
    To7m wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn’t see what the issue is? They look like that because they age up to adults, they get “wrinkles”... even normal sims look like that.

—T

They don't just get wrinkles, their eyes, nose, even cheek bones sometimes entirely change. Their eyes practically balloon and their noses shrink.
    Post edited by greydonn on
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Am I the only one that doesn’t see what the issue is? They look like that because they age up to adults, they get “wrinkles”... even normal sims look like that.

—T

I don’t get it either, it looks like aging to me 🤷🏼‍♀️. Your features do change over time, in the game it would be somewhat exaggerated since aging isn’t gradual. Saying their face is “melting” seems a bit hyperbolic if you ask me.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2021
    How do we know how aliens age? They don't have to age the same way humans do, though our earlobes and noses tend to grow longer as we age. Maybe their chins do too?

I'd love it if they changed completely in some way like tadpoles to frogs, or caterpillars to butterflies.

• Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member

—T

I don’t get it either, it looks like aging to me 🤷🏼‍♀️. Your features do change over time, in the game it would be somewhat exaggerated since aging isn’t gradual. Saying their face is “melting” seems a bit hyperbolic if you ask me.

Please look at the gifs in the original post. That is not aging, that is changing into an entirely different sim. As a simmer who loves genetics in this game, it makes playing aliens almost impossible for me.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    greydonn wrote: »

—T

Please look at the gifs in the original post. That is not aging, that is changing into an entirely different sim. As a simmer who loves genetics in this game, it makes playing aliens almost impossible for me.

Yep. Aging other Sims doesn't change their face parts the way that happens for Aliens.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2021
    Thank you. Spend long time to make alien sims look moderately human, don't like when it reverses... Still in my game as of April 28th, 2021. PS4, most recent pack installed is Eco Lifestyle.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hi @AyKooChao, thanks for bringing this to my attention! Hopefully we'll get an answer! #ConsistencyForAliensTS4 🤗

@To7m @Pamtastic72
    Here is a gif I made on the initial post/op to show the differences. Hopefully this clears things up for you guys! I put it in a spoiler since it's kinda big.
    This is the same sim. Aging is NOT supposed to be like this, but that is how it is in-game now:
    TRAdosg.gif
    The face here is literally melting (hence the title). The eyes are spreading apart, the nose shrinks and the chin becomes pointy.

Aging SHOULD BE like this, which is what I want for aliens:
    72a26211752f4bf08ff4b2a49ef0fa06.gif

As you can see here, in the second gif, my alien only gains wrinkles as he turns into an elder. That is what I want back. I want my aliens to age and not have their face distort like this.

Hi @Simburian, I answered a similar question earlier in this thread:
    Cement wrote: »
    tbh i'd be actually annoyed if they retconned this glitch as "an alien thing." If that's the case, then why even have customization in the first place?
    They could've left the "small eyes, wide jaw" 2014 face glitch for male sims in the game and lazily call it a feature, too--But it was fixed because people started pointing it out and forcing them to fix the game- breaking bug. That's why I won't even settle for a lazy reason like "sim-earth makes their faces distort," because then they should add a feature where human sims suffer facial distortion when they visit sixam without a spacesuit on. :unamused:

I'm just hoping the reason that people don't know about it is because its subtle, plus no one really plays with aliens as their regular alien form with the introduction of alien disguises.
    There's also an odd stigma against aliens on this forum from what I've gathered ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    To add onto it, if they're going to add that as a feature, then they should have different branches of aliens since The Sims is a sandbox game. If I can't play aliens the way I wanted to play them as, then why have them forced to be like this? Aliens are such a broad race--In many science fiction series, they don't always look the same when they age, that I agree with--But there should be options.
    They give us none.
    In past iterations of The Sims having aliens, their faces don't randomly distort when they jump from life stage to life stage. It's just very unfair for simmers like me who have dedicated alien families and seeing their children fail to gain their parents' facial features. I can't play an alien legacy or continue one because of this glitch.

@greydonn @luthienrising thank you :'(<3

@BettyNewbie1 Seeing how it's also on console is kinda upsetting too. :( They can't possibly keep ignoring it when console players have no means of modding the game if a modder somewhere out there finds a way to fix it for pc. :pensive:
  • Options
    I still just see aging. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not only do I think is looks “drastic” due to it not being gradual, I think the changed skin detailing may be more prominent/noticeable on the brightly colored alien skin tones. Either way I just don’t see “melting” or a glitch really.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I still just see aging. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not only do I think is looks “drastic” due to it not being gradual, I think the changed skin detailing may be more prominent/noticeable on the brightly colored alien skin tones. Either way I just don’t see “melting” or a glitch really.

In the two GIFs, watch what happens with the nose width, eye prominence, cheekbone height, and jaw shape. None of those should change on aging: they're bone structure. They change in Aliens and not in other Sims. It's like the face has re-randomized instead of getting more fat and wrinkles.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

In the two GIFs, watch what happens with the nose width, eye prominence, cheekbone height, and jaw shape. None of those should change on aging: they're bone structure. They change in Aliens and not in other Sims. It's like the face has re-randomized instead of getting more fat and wrinkles.

Okay, I guess yeah. It just as never really bothered me before I guess. I mean until I saw this thread I’ve never really even noticed it.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Okay, never mind. We can’t ask them about glitches in the Q&A. :/

@Pamtastic72 The more you change the Sim from the default face templates, the more noticeable it is, as far as I know.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    June Patch still have not yet fixed the issue. :(
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    @TS1299 at this point, I worry they might never fix it. Have they ever said it's something they're working on?
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    @MaggieMarley Not as far as I know. :/

If anyone here is 1) on Twitter and 2) in more or less the same timezone as EA, could you ask about it after the CoL patch? I always miss SimGuruNick's Bug Q&A, and I think the window's already closed for the last patch.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    @AyKooChao that is such a shame :( I'm not personally on twitter or in EA's timezone... I don't think they care much about aliens though anyway, sadly.
  • Options
    72377237 Posts: 5 New Member
    I remember making a post and asking about this issue years ago.. and people blamed it on my CC since i clearly used CC hair and other CC items on my Alien (This annoys me) and some people could not see the issue that i clearly saw. I havent played with aliens since. It is insane how long this issue has been going on. I really want to play with aliens again but this is so game breaking to me that i cant play them. On Age up they clearly change into a different sim. They should sit down and fix ALL HUGE bugs in one big update. Its so mind buggling to me how people excuse the lazyness of EA. The Sims 4 is so frusturating. There aint any exsisting mods that helps with this?
    I remember when the vampire skills broke for over a year and i had to use a mod to fix it.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I would like to see this fixed one day. I don’t like to use aliens in my main families because of this.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    7237 wrote: »
    I remember making a post and asking about this issue years ago.. and people blamed it on my CC since i clearly used CC hair and other CC items on my Alien (This annoys me) and some people could not see the issue that i clearly saw. I havent played with aliens since. It is insane how long this issue has been going on. I really want to play with aliens again but this is so game breaking to me that i cant play them. On Age up they clearly change into a different sim. They should sit down and fix ALL HUGE bugs in one big update. Its so mind buggling to me how people excuse the lazyness of EA. The Sims 4 is so frusturating. There aint any exsisting mods that helps with this?
    I remember when the vampire skills broke for over a year and i had to use a mod to fix it.

This bug annoys me to no end, but here's some realities about bug-fixing, from a Simmer who's spouse has led software QA for not-EA:

- This game has so many moving parts that my partner wouldn't want to lead QA for it without a massive salary increase, and he's not exactly remotely near underpaid now. (We've talked about this.)
    - All QA has to set priorities. Bugs that stop play are more important than those that don't. Bugs that affect more people (which would show in telemetry) and that people care more about (which would show in AHQ contributions) are more important than other bugs.
    - All bugs require developer time for fixing, and often also to find the cause of in the first place. Developer time availability depends on what else they're doing. But you need the right developer for the right bug, so just stopping development for bug-fixing would leave some developers twiddling their thumbs... but not necessarily the right developers to keep other things moving. It's not efficient.
    - The more bugs you try to fix at once, the harder the QA process becomes because the more moving parts you change at once, the more other things you break. It's not efficient.
    - Every bug you fix you can test on only a finite number of setups and a finite range of saves. The more bugs you fix at once, the more might turn out to go wrong in actual player setups on actual player saves. It can leave you much worse off than if you'd fixed a handful at a time.
    - Fixing a batch of bugs every month and pushing that update out every month is already a highly ambitious schedule from a QA perspective. Fixing every bug (that you can find a solution for without breaking the game in your own necessarily limited testing) while under pressure to be able to resume production is a nightmare scenario and can't have a good end.

For what it's worth, the QA practices I see at EA, from the point of view of seeing QA from the inside elsewhere, actually don't suck. They're pretty solid. They're ambitious, in fact, with a constant output of updates and, on top of that, now with increased accountability in the forms of regular lists of top priorities, which set expectations for fixes to come immediately. Doesn't mean that on the recieving end it's not frustrating to see old lingering bugs, but that's not because of any kind of "laziness". If you really want a bug fixed, boost its visibility at AHQ. But don't assume that that's going to be enough compared with a bug that affects more players.
  • Options
    hvdiodehvdiode Posts: 13 New Member
    This bug is never gonna get fixed, is it? :\ Wish I knew about it before I spent all the time in the world making a alien sim with unique features only for them to be distorted immediately upon aging.
  • Options
    RionAgriasRionAgrias Posts: 305 Member
    7237 wrote: »

This bug annoys me to no end, but here's some realities about bug-fixing, from a Simmer who's spouse has led software QA for not-EA:

- This game has so many moving parts that my partner wouldn't want to lead QA for it without a massive salary increase, and he's not exactly remotely near underpaid now. (We've talked about this.)
    - All QA has to set priorities. Bugs that stop play are more important than those that don't. Bugs that affect more people (which would show in telemetry) and that people care more about (which would show in AHQ contributions) are more important than other bugs.
    - All bugs require developer time for fixing, and often also to find the cause of in the first place. Developer time availability depends on what else they're doing. But you need the right developer for the right bug, so just stopping development for bug-fixing would leave some developers twiddling their thumbs... but not necessarily the right developers to keep other things moving. It's not efficient.
    - The more bugs you try to fix at once, the harder the QA process becomes because the more moving parts you change at once, the more other things you break. It's not efficient.
    - Every bug you fix you can test on only a finite number of setups and a finite range of saves. The more bugs you fix at once, the more might turn out to go wrong in actual player setups on actual player saves. It can leave you much worse off than if you'd fixed a handful at a time.
    - Fixing a batch of bugs every month and pushing that update out every month is already a highly ambitious schedule from a QA perspective. Fixing every bug (that you can find a solution for without breaking the game in your own necessarily limited testing) while under pressure to be able to resume production is a nightmare scenario and can't have a good end.

For what it's worth, the QA practices I see at EA, from the point of view of seeing QA from the inside elsewhere, actually don't suck. They're pretty solid. They're ambitious, in fact, with a constant output of updates and, on top of that, now with increased accountability in the forms of regular lists of top priorities, which set expectations for fixes to come immediately. Doesn't mean that on the recieving end it's not frustrating to see old lingering bugs, but that's not because of any kind of "laziness". If you really want a bug fixed, boost its visibility at AHQ. But don't assume that that's going to be enough compared with a bug that affects more players.

Let me put it in perspective. It took weeks if not over a month for console Sim players to be able to manually save in their game. That's probably the fastest they've fixed a bug in the game.

If you want a bug fixed in restaurants, better hope you get a dining pack then. I heard that gardening bugs were quite visible for a long time in EA's eyes, but they stayed away from even looking at it until they had to try and do something with gardening.

Let's look at it like this (if you see yourself as someone who was shafted by not having enough at base game and feels bad getting tidbits through DLC). The base game is a sleek car that is meant to go fast. Each DLC is a part added-on that makes it less aerodynamic. It's also added on in a way where they smash it in with a hammer, making parts of that sleek car fly off all over the place. When a patch is made, they do not return the broken pieces to its original place, they put them on the parts that were just added. That may or may not fix it, but at least they tried. Sometimes, even if people do not buy the new pieces that are continuously smashed in, the original pieces are still broken off. EA knows they have modders in the community who take similar pieces of that shiny car and put the broken pieces back in correctly. It may not be a perfect fit, but it's better than leaving them out or throwing them back on haphazardly. The cycle continues over and over because people will always buy the new pieces that are added, however they added them, because it's finally there. Whether it was something that was in a previous game, or it was something they've always wanted.

Sorry to be cynical at the end, but take a look at the real cash-cows like Madden and FIFA. When the bar is so low that this is the gold standard of effort at EA when it comes to games with mass amounts of DLC or loot boxes, it's depressing.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top