Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sim gets promoted in the same time as finishing their degree.

What's the point of going to Uni?

Comments

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Career jump for YA, better salary scale, unlock skills, perks?

I'm planning to send my Scientist vampire (who is on top of her career) to the Uni, so that she can unlock the robotic skill. I'm planning to create & clone the servos and starts the Sims world domination. >:)

I guess, this is similar to the RL situation. Some went to the Uni and some not. Why don't we let the Sims to have an option, to enrol or not enrol.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    There's no real word yet on what specific rewards will be after graduating, just know that at least getting ahead in careers is one of them (though you could do that already in many other ways outside of Uni).

I also felt like that leaving the new careers open for everyone just means you can completely disregard going to Uni for them anyway (assuming the rewards aren't that interesting), because careers as they are require minimal effort to excel up higher levels, with but a few exceptions. I understand that locking them to having Uni degrees only may not be something everyone would like, but isn't the point of the pack to play through university and work to unlocking such rewards?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    One thing they absolutely should have brought back from The Sims 2 is careers that require University qualifications.

Ironically, the careers that least needed a degree: Art, Show Business and the Paranormal.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    It's a real shame that the medical career isn't tied to university because of them all, it's the one that most requires it.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Planning to send my vampire sim to uni to get all dem degrees, I want him to be a scholar.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    This is what I am most disappointed about. With a potential sign-on bonus, high level entry, increased work performance and additional vacation days - none of which I felt I was lacking - I don’t see the point of going to university. I would have liked to see an additional trait earned and restrictions on careers that make sense, nobody is asking for full-on medical school lasting twice as long. But I don’t know anyone who would see a doctor who had no degree (could they even get licensed?) I don’t care if that’s regressive as we’ve been able to before- maybe they should have released the uni pack first to avoid that. Instead we waited 5 years for something underwhelming.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    They barely said anything about the boosts and rewards so I‘m guessing they‘re pretty lame.

This is what I want to see:
    - Make some careers require a degree.
    - Add new levels to existing careers and make them require a degree.
    - Give our sims a new trait slot. Make them arrogant and only interact and date other university graduates. Make them annoying know-it-alls. Make them helpful and give free private lessons to poorer sims.
    - Give our sims extra vacation days.

This is what I don‘t care about:
    - Higher salaries. It‘s so easy to make money in the game. I sent my sim to BB to fish for a couple of hours and she got two gold bars (worth 6k each). I actually cheat and lower my household fund and pretend that it‘s taxes. She‘s supposed to be poor, c‘mon.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    It's a real shame that the medical career isn't tied to university because of them all, it's the one that most requires it.

Imagine if a career in GTW was locked for anyone who didn't also own University. And if suddenly anyone who owns GTW got one of the careers locked because they don't also own Uni.

It was never going to happen with existing careers.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    They barely said anything about the boosts and rewards so I‘m guessing they‘re pretty lame.

This is what I want to see:
    - Make some careers require a degree.
    - Add new levels to existing careers and make them require a degree.
    - Give our sims a new trait slot. Make them arrogant and only interact and date other university graduates. Make them annoying know-it-alls. Make them helpful and give free private lessons to poorer sims.
    - Give our sims extra vacation days.

This is what I don‘t care about:
    - Higher salaries. It‘s so easy to make money in the game. I sent my sim to BB to fish for a couple of hours and she got two gold bars (worth 6k each). I actually cheat and lower my household fund and pretend that it‘s taxes. She‘s supposed to be poor, c‘mon.

It’s way to easy to get money. I think they need to up the cost to get into university. It was only 750 to pay for the classes that term. The problem is there is no reason to make money in the game unless you want to own a retail shop. Sadly much wasn’t explained in the live stream. We can only hope they added anything you mentioned.
  • Options

Imagine if a career in GTW was locked for anyone who didn't also own University. And if suddenly anyone who owns GTW got one of the careers locked because they don't also own Uni.

I know, I would never expect them to place restrictions upon an existing career, but it's still a shame they didn't have the packs come out the other way round.
  • Options

I know, I would never expect them to place restrictions upon an existing career, but it's still a shame they didn't have the packs come out the other way round.

I think rather, it would've made sense if the GTW careers would've been the ones in DU. Requiring a degree and then being active. And instead of GTW, have a pack specifically focused on various types of retail/businesses.

Alas, I do think that they're trying to not lock any careers behind any sort of walls to allow for freedom of choice for players who might not want to do the studying part with their Sims.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

I've just decided that none of my sims can be a doctor, scientist, etc. unless they get a degree first.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member

Dont know much about programming but would it be so hard to have the option like:

IF you have Discover University beeing a Doctor would be unlocked. You still can be a nurse but going further would not be possible.
    IF you dont have DU it will work as usual.
    This would be a pack crossover that i would like see mentioned and implied.

There are litteraly modders who can unlock certain interactions already, and i wouldnt be suprised if there will be a mod like mentioned above. This low expactions and unrealistic stuff that we have to set in are annoying. Afterall this cost 50Bucks in my country.

2h Livestream and we didnt got to see the rewards after you got a degree, just a simple ''job boost'' answer. I like that robotic isnt just tight to Uni Life and doesnt feel awkward to do in your regular gameplay, when you have a degree, but what it the motivation to go to uni? Left wondering too!

@xamira99 Can you only unlock the robotic stuff when you attend uni though? Hopefully not because it screams niche.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited November 2019
    They could have added a setting where the player decides which career require a degree when you buy university. It's not that hard to figure this plum out.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »

I've just decided that none of my sims can be a doctor, scientist, etc. unless they get a degree first.

Me too :)
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm also just going to require university for doctors and scientists from that point on. I would actually like it if they had added a medical school option.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    sam123 wrote: »
    What's the point of going to Uni?

The fun of going to Uni - the proper education - not just winging it. It's a preparation time; learning as designed - again not winging it and learning on the fly. If no school was important why go to school ever - just wing it. Not something I would ever do. I don't want professionals I hired to have less education than I have other wise what is my point giving them my money?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    PreCiious wrote: »

Dont know much about programming but would it be so hard to have the option like:

IF you have Discover University beeing a Doctor would be unlocked. You still can be a nurse but going further would not be possible.

There are litteraly modders who can unlock certain interactions already, and i wouldnt be suprised if there will be a mod like mentioned above. This low expactions and unrealistic stuff that we have to set in are annoying. Afterall this cost 50Bucks in my country.

On PC/Macs, it wouldn't be hard. But the game is also on consoles and the fact that they still haven't figured out how to make MFPS work on those tells me that there it's a good bit more complicated to make that kind of cross-pack compatibility.

You can make those requirements for yourself in a pack and just not have a Sim get the kinda job that you feel requires a university degree, while the Simmers who don't want to play that way can have Sims in those jobs without going to Uni.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019

On PC/Macs, it wouldn't be hard. But the game is also on consoles and the fact that they still haven't figured out how to make MFPS work on those tells me that there it's a good bit more complicated to make that kind of cross-pack compatibility.

You can make those requirements for yourself in a pack and just not have a Sim get the kinda job that you feel requires a university degree, while the Simmers who don't want to play that way can have Sims in those jobs without going to Uni.

You need to go to college to become a Nurse - just like doctors do though. At least get a little more realistic about it.

https://www.access2knowledge.org/jobs-education/how-long-does-it-take-to-become-an-rn/

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

You need to go to college to become a Nurse - just like doctors do though. At least get a little more realistic about it.

https://www.access2knowledge.org/jobs-education/how-long-does-it-take-to-become-an-rn/

And as I said, players can make that decision while playing their game. No one is making their Sims take jobs that they feel those SIms aren't qualified for. The players who don't care for those restrictions keep their freedom to play as they want.

Thank you, I know that you need to go to college to become a nurse, no need for that link.
  • Options
    TinkerballTinkerball Posts: 1,113 Member
    I know it's a little (or a lot) late in the game, but I wish they had given the whole education system an overhaul. I wish that they had brought back private schools, maybe added boarding schools, and just fleshed out school altogether. It's something they could do in a patch so that everyone has those options, but I don't want to hold any hope that they have.
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Can you stop being so condescending in your posts? Anytime anyone disagrees with you you post a ‘helpful’ link. It’s incredibly passive aggressive and seeing as you’re an older player I’m surprised at your attitude. I know you’ll go on the defensive and deny that this is what you meant but it’s obvious that it is. Just because you’re satisfied with this pack doesn’t mean you have the right to jump down people’s throats.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Could you guys imagine if degrees actually unlocked careers to give you the option to actually play them and not have them be rabbit holes. That would be a massive incentive.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I have a relatively new save with a bunch of sims that started off as adults with no pre-existing skills. I have played some of these for 16 days each and just popped in to see where they are in their careers.

6 out of 8 I am comparing have reached level 5 in their careers in Culinary, Astronaut, Business, Athletic, Musician, and Arts Critic. I haven’t exactly been grinding these to the bone since lately I’ve been more inclined to make them do social things in groups or when invited out.

If they can get that far in a full term less time than it would take to go through university, I don’t see much point in going unless it’s for a Distinguished Degree where they would theoretically start at a higher level.

Although, if you enjoy having your sims career hop, I can see the benefit. I tend to pick a career that helps define their personality so it’s rare that I change that.

Earning more money or vacation days doesn’t appeal to me because I have an excess of these things anyway. Hopefully there’s more of a benefit to it than all this.