Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 is probably the last Sims game for me.

Comments

• Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited November 2019
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @HollownessDevour What kind of site?

So far it is a Sims 3 showcase and share wiki community (check my sig link), just made it last week have about 3 people so far interested / on their way. (PM me if you want more info, I don't wanna derail thread)

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Just voted Realistic but for me it doesn’t matter just so long as it’s not ridiculously cartoony. And they need to knock it off with the Fisher-Price clay Little People hair.

Of course when it comes time to killing or torturing my sims, everyone here knows Nikkei_Simmer is a bit psycho.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17298576/#Comment_17298576 -my answer on the voting thread.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited November 2019
    I would personally prefer a realistic art style for a life simulator game. Something like Fallout 4 (which also features the click-and-drag system when you created the MC initially!).

maxresdefault.jpg

Cartoony is also fine by me so long as it doesn't give out the "cheap" feeling that some players would think of a triple-A that was released in 2010s (and now, 2020s!). It is unlikely for a company like EA to have a budget problem when it comes to develop a sims game, if they really meant to develop it well (which seems less and less likely now); and to me adopting an even more "child-friendly" art style that is more "cartoony" or "minimalist" will be counter-productive. Sims isn't an indie game :D It's a series that is almost 2 decades old for plumbob's sake and the developers are reverting back to cartoon style just now? If it isn't laziness I won't know what is.

I know this is a matter of personal preferences; I fully respect those who want a less realistic aesthetic for another simulation game but it really isn't what we players should expect from a franchise like the sims.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I’ve always liked the graphics in Fallout 4. I’ve always found they did a great job on water effects especially when the main character comes in out of the downpour: she’s absolutely drenched. Always kind of found it a little hard to believe that someone could be out in the rain and come inside without their clothes looking absolutely soaked; almost translucent. Sims 3 they’d come in from a sudden rain-shower with the only effect being water droplets coming off their clothes; in Sims 5 if they go the realistic route or semi cartoonish, I want to see the Sims caught in a downpour (their clothes and hair) or getting out of a shower (the face and hair above the pixelated box to look like a drowned rat. (Info box: your sim is wet and getting cold and uncomfortable; change their clothes or they might catch a cold)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    Nah, I think that poll had really slanted example pictures, messing up the results inspiring people to go for "cartoony." That's why I couldn't take the poll. The poll was NOT balanced.

Kind of like how this OP is imbalanced, too, because that "Sims 4" Sim is not the average TS4 Sim, it's an extra cartoony one to help prove a point, which I get, but it's also not quite fair.

And that poll didn't show extremes, either. One was ultra realistic and the other really was a middle ground, not even touching cartoony yet (some a tad goofy with bad lighting) more game-y, something I could live with but I can't vote for "cartoony" and I'm sure it would be misunderstood.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member

So far it is a Sims 3 showcase and share wiki community (check my sig link), just made it last week have about 3 people so far interested / on their way. (PM me if you want more info, I don't wanna derail thread)

Hmm. I'm not crazy about that Fandom site you put your Wiki on, but I do love your tea party park!
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I wouldn't like my sims to look Fallout 4. To me the sims has a real whimsical charm, that belongs in the "not quite uncanny valley" kind of style, and I find wouldn't really fit realism. I personally am really happy with the TS2 + 3 style, I just believe that it could be improved texturally. And perhaps not making the sims so fat headed ( looking at you TS3! )

At least those 2 & 3 sims look like they belong in their environment, even with custom content, whereas in with TS4 once you start slapping on alpha hair, and leaning toward sims 3 style makeup and clothing, they no longer look like they belong in their surroundings of oversized furniture and textureless items.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Hmm. I'm not crazy about that Fandom site you put your Wiki on, but I do love your tea party park!

Fandom is Wikia (they did a name change/rebrand few years ago), which is what most wikis are on (wikia (fandom), gamepedia and a few more), if you ever used or viewed a wiki (Like The Sims Wiki when Sims 3 was out) it wasn't called Fandom back then it was called wikia. This often confuses people because they think it is new but wikia is 15 years old (3 years named as fandom), I have been using it for 8+. So not being crazy for wikia/fandom is like not liking wikis generally.
    Post edited by HollownessDevour on
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    I wouldn't like my sims to look Fallout 4. To me the sims has a real whimsical charm, that belongs in the "not quite uncanny valley" kind of style, and I find wouldn't really fit realism. I personally am really happy with the TS2 + 3 style, I just believe that it could be improved texturally. And perhaps not making the sims so fat headed ( looking at you TS3! )

At least those 2 & 3 sims look like they belong in their environment, even with custom content, whereas in with TS4 once you start slapping on alpha hair, and leaning toward sims 3 style makeup and clothing, they no longer look like they belong in their surroundings of oversized furniture and textureless items.

I agree. And I still can't get over how fat they have default sim heads in Sims 3 LOL.
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited November 2019

Exactly this :grimace: It makes the sims with alpha CCs look out of place when the sky/trees/vegetations/backdrops all look so cartoony, in my opinion. Especially when they interact with toddlers or the horrific ball pool - I surely hope the developers aren't using the cartoony art-style as an excuse to justify the mesh they lazily created.

I wish the next game (or any life simulators really) would see hair movement making a return, not like it's a major game breaker for me but an immersive detail; same as the wet/drenched hair/outfit that was featured in FO4 as @Nikkei_Simmer has pointed out! :) These are just some tiny details that makes me think that a game developer is actually caring and paying attention to how their game looks (probably not EA anymore).
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I think the most realistic I'd want my sims is about Dragon Age 2 range, example:

utHr2iq.png
    m1wO4qa.png
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Right by your side here, @Cororon ! I'm not a videogames person, but I started playing TS2 just because my neighbor said it was fun. With TS3 it became an addiction, with Medieval I got excited over the future TS4 but when it was released I was so disappointed :s

Just voted, but it seems like there are more TS4 enthusiasts who has given their opinion than us old school simmers... :/
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

I thought it was just me thinking the furniture was oversized lol 🤔
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I could be wrong but I feel like if they focus on all the little details people would like such as getting soaked in the rain and what not, gameplay will lack just as bad as this one if not more. Their focus for every pack would have to be on the realistic backgrounds and movements and everything. Then we still end up with something visually stimulating and nothing to play... :( because apparently we can't have both.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    I didn't vote, as I have little hope in this "games as a service" times that any new game in this franchise will be something I like. I prefer a slightly more realistic style, but I'm fine with a certain degree of stylizing.

Given how everyone is offended by everything nowadays, I don't think we will see a photorealistic game where you can set people on fire for a teen audience. I'm afraid that a cartoony approach is the safer path for a game if you want to be able to do more or less anything you want.
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    @Kelvin I think those Fallout characters goes a bit into the "robot" looking style, especially the woman, and it could look creepy in a Sims game. But since you also agree with @Pary I think we are aon the same page. Sims that look more human than dolls, and can be made attractive and still fit in with the (upgraded) enviroment. And the game should still have room for cute and goofy stuff. :smiley:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    jillbg wrote: »
    Right by your side here, @Cororon ! I'm not a videogames person, but I started playing TS2 just because my neighbor said it was fun. With TS3 it became an addiction, with Medieval I got excited over the future TS4 but when it was released I was so disappointed :s

Just voted, but it seems like there are more TS4 enthusiasts who has given their opinion than us old school simmers... :/

I can't agree more! I'm also not much of a gamer. I have some game DVD's laying around that I've never installed. Tried GTA4 for ten minutes, just drove around a little and then I forgot about it. :lol: I too started with Sims 2, and now I play Sims 3. It's basically the only game I play. I play really old Nintendo games sometimes, but those are really old school. :tongue:

And yeah, Medieval gave me hope for Sims 4. But when I saw the first pics of the Online Sims 4 they were working on I was disappointed, and the disappointment only continued.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Nah, I think that poll had really slanted example pictures, messing up the results inspiring people to go for "cartoony." That's why I couldn't take the poll. The poll was NOT balanced.

Kind of like how this OP is imbalanced, too, because that "Sims 4" Sim is not the average TS4 Sim, it's an extra cartoony one to help prove a point, which I get, but it's also not quite fair.

But the Sims 4 sim is a real and I chose it to show the ugly "facial muscles" the Sims 4 sims have. I can't stand how doll-like they are. The frown the Sims 3 sim makes looks much more natural.
    And I still can't get over how fat they have default sim heads in Sims 3 LOL.

Yeah, the "pudding" face. That's why I often take NPC's and townies into CAS for a makeover. :tongue: EA said that the game wouldn't generate as many ugly sims as it did in Sims 2, which was good, but instead they got default faces and random clothes, so many game generated sims looked the same and got horrible outfits. :lol: Oh well.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,358 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think the most realistic I'd want my sims is about Dragon Age 2 range, example

utHr2iq.png
    @HollownessDevour That is the first picture I've seen of what I'd really like for sims to look like. The other ones from games, in my opinion, are too realistic. This is perfect!
  • Options
    Cororon wrote: »
    And I still can't get over how fat they have default sim heads in Sims 3 LOL.

Yeah, the "pudding" face. That's why I often take NPC's and townies into CAS for a makeover. :tongue: EA said that the game wouldn't generate as many ugly sims as it did in Sims 2, which was good, but instead they got default faces and random clothes, so many game generated sims looked the same and got horrible outfits. :lol: Oh well.

I do lots of CAS makeovers of townies too XD but usually plunk my own in with ones I plan to interact with :P But I noticed a bunch of my good looking young adults gets a slight wrapped philtrum at adult and elder XD these are the things I was hoping to be corrected in sims 4 (now 5).

• Options
    edited November 2019
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    I think the most realistic I'd want my sims is about Dragon Age 2 range, example

utHr2iq.png
    @HollownessDevour That is the first picture I've seen of what I'd really like for sims to look like. The other ones from games, in my opinion, are too realistic. This is perfect!

Yeah that is a better Dragon Age 2 cut scene pic (the other is a bad lighting play mode but the clothes look good). I'd would have provided better images but I lost almost all my screenshots (found only those two) for Bioware when my computer died. I found Sims 3 and Dragon age (Origins and 2) an agreeable transition when going back and forth play, not a huge jump but def more realism compared to Sims.

• Options
    I do lots of CAS makeovers of townies too XD but usually plunk my own in with ones I plan to interact with :P But I noticed a bunch of my good looking young adults gets a slight wrapped philtrum at adult and elder XD these are the things I was hoping to be corrected in sims 4 (now 5).

True! Going from young adult to adult can be cruel to many sims' looks, even if the changes are subtle. For some sims it's ok, but other sims you'd want to keep in the YA stage for as long as possible.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Cororon wrote: »
    The Sims 5 - Realistic or Cartoony poll in the Off Topic section made me realise that Sims 3 is probably the last Sims game for me. The majority of the voters seem to want an even more cartoony game than Sims 4 - think Fortnite or Toy Story.

1LbLJgc.jpg

The first pic is from my police story in Sims 3. I think the realism is OK. You can see that it's supposed to be a human being. Then look at the Sims 4 sim and you see a doll. and it gets even more doll-like with Fortnite and Toy Story.

Even if Sims 5 came with an open world and had CASt back, I wouldn't buy it if the sims looks like dolls. No way!

I don't know why people don't understand that they can buy Sims 2 if they want an even more cartoony game? Or why not a Disney or Lego game? Sims is a human life simulator and should have realism. It doesn't have to be uncanny valley realistic, but you know what I mean. You should be able to make attractive sims and not just "funny" alà Elmer Fudd. :tired_face:

Based on my observations, TS4 is marketed to a new audience with my interpretation of "false hope" that the majority of The Sims's fans will jump on board. It's true that some did but not the majority and this new audience are most likely those who are not even gamers. Though, it might be true that in general that most of TS fans are not even gamers either, however, they are the most in tune nowadays to know what works and what doesn't for this franchise. Compared to a game company who just doesn't care in order to favor cheap production and expensive sales instead of quality workmanship and customer satisfaction. This new audience is either ignorant or indifferent to whole quality vs quantity despite it's their own money they throw at a company just to complain but keep on buying anyway. Doesn't sound bright at all because it isn't which is why they are the targeted audience and why TS4 is still even making money.

Simplicity is what this new audience wants and is what EA wants because it's cheap for them but expensive for the consumers. Seriously, TS3 isn't really complicated at all to learn how to play but I do find learning how to play chess or shogi way more challenging. Which is why I prefer checkers or Chinese checkers. This is most likely an analogy for how some players might feel about TS3 vs TS4. The issue now is there is a strong divide between old school fans (TS/TS2), new school fans (TS3) and the shallow loving naive fans (TS4).

Personally, talking about the graphics and aesthetics/art style between TS4 and Fortnite well I think Fortnite wins that contest. Because that game looks finished visually while TS4 always looks like, to me, it's not refined and still in an early stage of development and doesn't really unite the visuals to fit flawlessly. TS4 still looks like a mobile game to me and always will. I mean hey, they didn't move The Sims label to the mobile division for nothing you know. Toy Story characters are meant to look like dolls so bad example in my opinion.

Not sure why so many keep holding on to hope about TS5 from the same exact game company that created TS4. I mean, if people are keeping up with these CEO's, etc, which they obviously are not, they would know what the future holds and wouldn't even hold their breath if they knew the truth. Besides, it doesn't take a genius to know that action speaks louder than words.

Uncanny valley is made up and doesn't exist. It's a myth the way I see it. But there is such a thing as having poor graphics and/or aesthetics that does nothing to compliment the intended art concept. If uncanny valley is real then why is the video game industry determined to get more realistic since it first began? And why are these games popular if this isn't what most people want and expect? Why does every time when a video game releases that is a sequel it is common to compare graphics and aesthetics with its predecessor, etc? The same with video game consoles, the same with video cards, etc. Everyone is enthusiastic about what new visuals and features it can achieve than the generation before it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H6hnFV-nDU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6R6OkMpI_I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCfuZSEFzIg

In general, I find it confusing when some state how realistic TS3 looks but to be honest it's not that realistic at all. When it rains, do Sims clothes, hair and skin actually get wet? Does the ground glisten in the daytime and night with any surrounding lights when it rains? Is there any kind of physics for the Sims, clothes and their environment? Etc. And Sims themselves aren't that realistic looking either compared to other AAA video games.

Examples.

Final Fantasy XV (Someone bought this for my birthday and I haven't played it yet but I'll get around to it. After all that talk about being excited for the first FF game with all males.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiI7SMQA59Q

Horizon: Zero Dawn (I'm surprised I haven't finished this game yet, but then again I got so distracted by all the side quests.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15btv_VxM5c

Death Stranding (I'm so interested for this game. November 8th is almost here.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEX3_48GNKM

The Order: 1886 (I think this was the first game I got on PS4. I love cinematic story-driven games. There are times I forget I'm playing a game and can't tell if it's a cutscene or gameplay. :D)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOHTJiRQB9o

Cyberpunk: 2077 (Can't wait for this game too. I'm going to guess that some people are going be an ally to Johnny Silverhand just because they really like Keanu Reeves. :D)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tue5ZwcOVkU
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    The truth of the matter is that the Sims series was always meant to be somewhat cartoonish. Hyper realistic isn't necessarily the best style for them go for, especially when it comes to certain occult creatures like vampires. Not to mention a fully realistic cow plant would be nightmare fuel! The Truth of the matter is, when it comes to games like the sims, I'm more concerned with game play than art style anyway.
  • Options
    @Deshong04 Many good points there! I'm not sure how the "simple style" have gotten so popular. You can see it in cartoons as well. DuckTales went from looking like traditional hand-drawn Disney cartoons to computer made with square-faced characters:

ducktales.png

And Danger Mouse went from a very witty, clever and absurd to a computerized mess with the "humour" so simple that if there's a joke about an elephant, someone would pull an elephant out of a pocket. Absurdness for absurdness sake, with nothing clever about it. Simplified to the max.

Why many of us thinks Sims 3 looks more realistic it probably because a combination of things. It's not just the graphics, but also how the sims move, their joints, the skin and hair, no pastel look, and muscular sims look less like rectangular blocks compared to the TS4 ones. TS4 sims gives me the feeling of clay figures. Everything feels so exaggerated in a bad way.

Prisinkia wrote: »
    lol sis really used a picture of a strangerville zombie to represent ts4 sims. that's about as extreme as it gets

Suuuure, but I used it because it shows the weird smile the TS4 sims do. I think they wanted to go with this look:

My-Scene-Feeling-Flirty-Smiling-Barbie-Doll-in.jpg
    cUrfGkA.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top