Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    Just found out the classes are rabbit holes too from pixelade. I read the comments and a lot of them were saying they are fine with it which is funny because I remember a lot sims 4 players were saying that was one of many reasons they didn't like about sims 3. Now they are okay with it? Interesting... plus if seeing your sim go to class every day would get boring, wouldn't waiting for them to pop out that rabbit hole all the time get boring as well?

It seemed to me that these people just copy paste the opinion of the video creator. You know that syndrome of the fandom when a famous person says something.. suddenly everyone agrees or feels the need to somehow agree even when they actually wouldn't. I am not saying all these people are that much lacking a backbone, but IT IS a thing... So sad.
    Let's see the comment section on a video where the creator is not happy with these rabbitholes, it will just be the same. We live in a time era where influencers are used for marketing strategies so yeah..

Rabbitholes classrooms.. Do not even let me start on that! They could have worked perfectly with active tasks, social interactions, deadlines in REAL just like how we have active careers etc. I was expecting this from The sims 4.

(Bolded by me)
    I would. Couldn‘t agree more with you (me have strong backbone though) LOL
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    So, tomorrow we learn if our concerns were valid. I don’t know about you, but I’m so desperate to add to my game that I have caved and bought packs in the past even if they didn’t look great. I don’t want to cave again. What will you do if you decide not to buy DU?

-Add more mods? I might.
    -Start a challenge that won’t make you miss University? I am thinking of starting the 100 baby challenge.
    -Go back to TS2 or TS3? I loaded up TS3 today out of complete frustration for TS4. Too bad it’s butt ugly and I had to stop playing.

I love mods. My game is mod heavy, but the only problem with adding mods is that every update breaks the mods that you've installed and you have to wait until the modders fix what's broken. I'll probably get uni but not right away. I'll wait to see what the modders do to improve it, because I know it's going to be disappointing, but it's the one pack I've been waiting for.

That‘s the downside of using script/mods. That‘s why I use very little of mods. But I do use CC. There a lots of CC bunkbeds out there, and the ones I have in my game work pretty good. I even have loft beds which are very nice. Therefore I‘m really not too worried if they don‘t include bunkbeds in this pack. Although I would like to have them without using CC. But hey, I guess you can‘t have everything, especially not in TS4.

I have a lot of CC too. I do try to stick to the simpler mods, I really like the ones that don't need updating. I don't have bunk beds in my game yet so I'll have to get some. I have a feeling that bunk beds might be coming in another pack. I have a feeling that a lot of stuff fans want will be coming in other packs hence EA still making EP's, stuff and packs for this game instead of talking about TS5. I mean five years in and no sprial stairs, no pool table, no drums. They are going to squeeze every last dime out of fans by making new packs out of what was standard in other packs. I really want to see something that makes TS4 feel like it's own game and not TS2/3 in a half. There are things that l do like about TS4, but unfortunately all the bugs that haven't been fixed make those things less enjoyable. At this point it is what it is, but it's so frustrating because EA missed so many opportunities with this game. It's like they stopped trying to be innovative and are only catering to one demographic. I've been playing the sims since the first game and I feel like EA doesn't care about their long time fans as if were still not playing the game. Sims fans are extremely vocal so you can't tell me by now that EA doesn't know what their fans want.

No wonder you all think things are missing, when you use so much non- Maxis content it is going to look like things are missing but in truth they were never part of the game to start with. This is why I don't use CC, mods and cheats in a developing game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    So, tomorrow we learn if our concerns were valid. I don’t know about you, but I’m so desperate to add to my game that I have caved and bought packs in the past even if they didn’t look great. I don’t want to cave again. What will you do if you decide not to buy DU?

-Add more mods? I might.
    -Start a challenge that won’t make you miss University? I am thinking of starting the 100 baby challenge.
    -Go back to TS2 or TS3? I loaded up TS3 today out of complete frustration for TS4. Too bad it’s butt ugly and I had to stop playing.

I love mods. My game is mod heavy, but the only problem with adding mods is that every update breaks the mods that you've installed and you have to wait until the modders fix what's broken. I'll probably get uni but not right away. I'll wait to see what the modders do to improve it, because I know it's going to be disappointing, but it's the one pack I've been waiting for.

That‘s the downside of using script/mods. That‘s why I use very little of mods. But I do use CC. There a lots of CC bunkbeds out there, and the ones I have in my game work pretty good. I even have loft beds which are very nice. Therefore I‘m really not too worried if they don‘t include bunkbeds in this pack. Although I would like to have them without using CC. But hey, I guess you can‘t have everything, especially not in TS4.

I have a lot of CC too. I do try to stick to the simpler mods, I really like the ones that don't need updating. I don't have bunk beds in my game yet so I'll have to get some. I have a feeling that bunk beds might be coming in another pack. I have a feeling that a lot of stuff fans want will be coming in other packs hence EA still making EP's, stuff and packs for this game instead of talking about TS5. I mean five years in and no sprial stairs, no pool table, no drums. They are going to squeeze every last dime out of fans by making new packs out of what was standard in other packs. I really want to see something that makes TS4 feel like it's own game and not TS2/3 in a half. There are things that l do like about TS4, but unfortunately all the bugs that haven't been fixed make those things less enjoyable. At this point it is what it is, but it's so frustrating because EA missed so many opportunities with this game. It's like they stopped trying to be innovative and are only catering to one demographic. I've been playing the sims since the first game and I feel like EA doesn't care about their long time fans as if were still not playing the game. Sims fans are extremely vocal so you can't tell me by now that EA doesn't know what their fans want.

No wonder you all think things are missing, when you use so much non- Maxis content it is going to look like things are missing but in truth they were never part of the game to start with. This is why I don't use CC, mods and cheats in a developing game.

Wrong.

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited November 2019

-facepalm.-
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Just found out the classes are rabbit holes too from pixelade. I read the comments and a lot of them were saying they are fine with it which is funny because I remember a lot sims 4 players were saying that was one of many reasons they didn't like about sims 3. Now they are okay with it? Interesting... plus if seeing your sim go to class every day would get boring, wouldn't waiting for them to pop out that rabbit hole all the time get boring as well?

It seemed to me that these people just copy paste the opinion of the video creator. You know that syndrome of the fandom when a famous person says something.. suddenly everyone agrees or feels the need to somehow agree even when they actually wouldn't. I am not saying all these people are that much lacking a backbone, but IT IS a thing... So sad.
    Let's see the comment section on a video where the creator is not happy with these rabbitholes, it will just be the same. We live in a time era where influencers are used for marketing strategies so yeah..

Rabbitholes classrooms.. Do not even let me start on that! They could have worked perfectly with active tasks, social interactions, deadlines in REAL just like how we have active careers etc. I was expecting this from The sims 4.

Well, I watched Iron Seagull's video about rabbithole classes and he was very disappointed, while most of the people in the comments were fine with it. So I don't think that's completely true.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member

School being boring is one of the few realistic things in the game. Never attended a school that didn't put me to sleep in a few classes.

Rabbit holes have existed in Sims 4 since the base game. The jobs where your sim vanishes off the lot for a few hours. Though for some reason, it seems those rabbit holes don't count, despite existing since the original Sims.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

-Add more mods? I might.

I installed my first mod a week ago, MCCC, to get rid of certain annoyances. I use no CC.

Even if you had a good point it would be wrong.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member

(Bolded by me)
    I would. Couldn‘t agree more with you (me have strong backbone though) LOL

Haha, mine is literally broken, but metaphorically i would say YES as well xD
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

Well, I watched Iron Seagull's video about rabbithole classes and he was very disappointed, while most of the people in the comments were fine with it. So I don't think that's completely true.

Hm interesting. It must come from somewhere else then? Newer or younger players maybe?
    In any way in life, with every new generation, you see the expectations just sink lower and lower. Not to insult anyone, cause even my generation compared to the previous one pays a lot more for less and so on. It is just factional and the trick of marketing.
    Economics of the world.

But im also glad that there are so many people aware of this. That is a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I hope loans turn out well and can be applied to other areas of life (buying houses, buying businesses, renovations, vet visits, etc.). It would be disappointing if they were like „university is $10,000 in total so we‘ll bill you $1,000 bi-weekly after graduating“ and that‘s all.
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    This is an expansion pack with no new traits focused on university and we can't even attend classes....ok
  • Options
    rinre33 wrote: »
    This is an expansion pack with no new traits focused on university and we can't even attend classes....ok

IKR?? I don't understand why people are okay with this.
  • Options
    Kids can't ride bikes...? Wow...again....cutting kids out of all the fun.
    EBTUSRAXYAA0-SM2.jpg

Then again why would Young Adult Simulator have content for other age groups?

I genuinely can't get my head around so many people finding rabbit hole classes okay. Rabbit holes aren't gameplay. I see a lot of people saying that classes in 3 were boring but then they don't seem to realise that waiting for a Sim to materialise out of a non-existent class is boring for a lot of people too. 2 had rabbit holes but that was 15 years ago, I'm genuinely confused as to why people aren't expecting more. If classes in 3 were boring then surely 4 should have worked to make them more interesting instead of going backwards? I've seen a lot of people saying that education in general is boring but then why would they want to buy a University pack?

To me University without classes would be like Vampires without blood sucking or Seasons without winter.

These people confused me SO much!
  • Options
    CAF84 wrote: »
    Couldn't watch any more of the live stream. It had got too boring. I'm not sure, for the first time, whether I will buy this pack. The CAS looks brilliant - really good - the BB too may be okay, but they didn't shot it by the time I turned it off, so I don't know about that. The roommate feature too sounds really good, but the rest seems so limited.

My connection wasn't good at the beginning and it kept cutting out, so I missed most of the bit where they showed choosing Classes (I wish they'd lingered longer on that - it seems they spent 10 minutes talking about robots, but barely any time talking about the structure of classes, terms etc.).

It just doesn't look very interesting. Beautiful world, as usual, but so few new things to actually do. One of the biggest turn offs for me though is that they have restricted the building requirements for dorms banning certain items - namely stoves and outdoor cooking. This. Is. Utter. Nonsense. At one point later in the stream they say the weather is based on England and the name of the place, Britechester, certainly seems to suggest a UK vibe, yet you can't rebuild those dorms into actual UK-style halls of residences because they have restricted kitchens. Here, halls of residences in most unis (not the colleges of Oxbridge and older, more classical dorms in historic cities etc.) are basically self-contained flats with a communal kitchen area and then single rooms (in both my under and post grad unis, 6 seems to be the magic number). If they are basing this loosely on UK, but adding a new 'feature' (that is actually a restriction on existing gameplay) that stops you recreating UK-style dorms (halls of residences) then what the hell Maxis? Seriously?? I don't know why this annoys me so much; maybe I have just had enough of feeling let down and disappointed by this game that I have grown up playing for nearly 20 years.

I had thought, 'well, I'll wait till a mod comes out to fix that stupid decision', but now, I just don't think I'll bother.

One more random thing - the Guru who had clearly spent a lot of time on the robots really sold her heart out on them (and she had clearly worked so hard on them and was very proud of them), but I just have zero interest in robots. How are robots synonymous with uni? Why was so much energy/time/resources spent in making so many robotics assets and animations?? Were there seriously not other, more pressing, actual university themed animations or features they could have spent the time in? How about more societies? Ability to create your own societies? Sports properly done (that seems a much more obvious university link, at least over here in the UK). Or introducing more musical instruments and a basic band system (that could be fleshed out later). Are robots really the first thing people think of when they think university (above things like sports, music/gigs, students union clubs/societies)? It's so bizarre!
    I noticed they spent FOREVER on robots which I do NOT care for.....

OH and graduation is yet another rabbithole, but don't forget those graduation parties....this is a gloried party pack.

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    At this point I'm looking forward to the patch, that will likely have things I want and game fixes.

The robots were literally the only thing that interested me and I'm not pay $40 for them.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    disappointed that this is another party pack! will never buy the pack, and the live stream made me bored after five minutes.

Not to mention the presenters didn't have much energy in their voice...I was bored the whole time
  • Options
    It was a pain in the b* to watch them playing with these tired Sims. I don‘t understand why she didn‘t cheat the needs at least to make them feel better while trying to show things. The stream could have been much better with healthy Sims.

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    disappointed that this is another party pack! will never buy the pack, and the live stream made me bored after five minutes.

Not to mention the presenters didn't have much energy in their voice...I was bored the whole time

To be fair, they work on the game and aren't really "television" personalities, but yeah... they were boring. They didn't seem excited about their game at all.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Camkat wrote: »

To be fair, they work on the game and aren't really "television" personalities, but yeah... they were boring. They didn't seem excited about their game at all.

Ohyes that's what I meant...they just didn't seem to be into it or even...really trying to draw us in as the other gurus
  • Options
    CAF84 wrote: »
    They didn't even mention kids/toddlers clothing during CAS - wasn't even a mention of them. We've gone from them adding a few token items for kids in other packs to now, they are just absolutely, entirely ignored.

Much like many older players feel - utterly ignored. *NB, I hate calling myself an 'older' player, because at 35, I don't feel old. This is what the Sims has done to me, it makes me feel old 😂

"Hey simmers who have been playing since 2000 - thanks for your 20 years of cash, investment, loyalty to our game, but we don't want to have to cater for your guys anymore, you older players who show more interest in family play, because we only care about teens buying this game now. We'll still take your money, and a lot of you seem to be taking a long time to cotton on to the fact that we give you zero thought when we're planning ahead, but we'll give you nothing back for it. Oh and we didn't really mean to thank you for your 20 years of investment, we don't actually care about you (haven't we made that obvious by now?), we were just made to say that by PR."

Not to mention kids can't ride bikes...BIKES FOR GOD'S sake!