Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think Muslim inspired clothing was either made or introduced wrong

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I really don't want to get into a big back and forth over this whole topic but I had to just point out one small detail. A Christmas tree is not a religious symbol. Yes, it is used for a Christian holiday but it is more secular. None of the stuff in the game that represents Christmas is religious (which, personally I'm fine with). Religious symbols for Christianity are: a Nativity scene, a crucifix, a simple cross, ect. Christmas trees, Santa Claus, reindeer, ect. are not religious Christian symbols. Much like the Easter Bunny is not a religious Christian symbol, nor are coloring/dyeing Easter eggs. Many Christians do partake in the secular things as well as the religious meaning of the holiday.

That's all I have to say on the situation. Have a great day, everyone! :)

You are of course right, but as far as I see the "muslim" patch also doesn't include half moons, green flags, minarets, prayer carpets or clerical dresses but only everyday clothing. So no injustice here.

@alanmichael1 did you see the Mosque-like windows and doorways? I seen one mosque that was in Turkey

The windows are simply oriental and are VERY welcome. I would so love to have an oriental world in TS4 like Egypt in TS3.

sorry but I been in China and I never seen windows like those in China and China is part of the oriental isn't it? I only since windows like those in one Mosque I visited. XfbME1n.jpg
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Mindofy wrote: »
    To all y'all worried about the "addition" of "religion" in the sims, were yall this upset when they added the Chinese new year update (religious based holiday)?

I had the same opinion of hopeful the items were disabled for random, same with the "cutural" items from City Living. Really, the only clothing that should be enabled for random is the non-cultural base game items.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I really don't want to get into a big back and forth over this whole topic but I had to just point out one small detail. A Christmas tree is not a religious symbol. Yes, it is used for a Christian holiday but it is more secular. None of the stuff in the game that represents Christmas is religious (which, personally I'm fine with). Religious symbols for Christianity are: a Nativity scene, a crucifix, a simple cross, ect. Christmas trees, Santa Claus, reindeer, ect. are not religious Christian symbols. Much like the Easter Bunny is not a religious Christian symbol, nor are coloring/dyeing Easter eggs. Many Christians do partake in the secular things as well as the religious meaning of the holiday.

You are of course right, but as far as I see the "muslim" patch also doesn't include half moons, green flags, minarets, prayer carpets or clerical dresses but only everyday clothing. So no injustice here.

@alanmichael1 did you see the Mosque-like windows and doorways? I seen one mosque that was in Turkey

The windows are simply oriental and are VERY welcome. I would so love to have an oriental world in TS4 like Egypt in TS3.

sorry but I been in China and I never seen windows like those in China and China is part of the oriental isn't it? I only since windows like those in one Mosque I visited. XfbME1n.jpg

I see that style of window in homes around here, but then again I live in a high-Muslim area so...
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Wait... is wearing clothing a religious thing? Asking for a friend.
  • Options

I think the problem is the hijab...the Quaran/Koran (as well as I believe the Torah) says that women need to cover their hair from the (un)wanted attention of men. Some groups of Muslims kind of took it to the extreme in BCE decades-and made women cover their hair all the time so that no a lot of people believe hijab=simple of oppression. Not taking into account that Christan women in places like Saudi Arab wear them for reasons like keeping sand out of their hair,etc Or a lot of Muslim women/girls wear the hijab by choice.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Mindofy wrote: »
    To all y'all worried about the "addition" of "religion" in the sims, were yall this upset when they added the Chinese new year update (religious based holiday)?

Because it is cultural, not religious. Anyone can celebrate it. That is the difference and the point people are missing.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I get what the OP is saying in that, I'd actually like to make an uber religious, Christian sim who wears crosses and prays all the time, or a hardcore Buddhist monk meditating in Granite Falls - so if we are to accept that the hijab is religious, which yes it technically is, even though headscarves are also worn by other people in the world, then sure yes, it could open up the possibility of other e such cultural-religious symbols to be included in the future.

But, actually we already do have such symbols (one need but look at the typically Western holidays Seasons lets us recreate - symbolic items, Easter Bunny, Christmas tree and all), so to keep it short, I'm with @Aine - there's just no reason whatsoever to be upset about this. Unless perhaps it matters what culture or religion is being referred to? 🤔
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member

Yes. That's why the added the 'Clothing Optional' lot trait. To be inclusive to non religious people. :)
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    I would like to have it but at the same time it upsets me that they don't introduce a kippah for my Jewish sims as well. I don't think it's fair to favor one religion over the others.

I really hope they introduce it in the future, so you can also feel represented. For now lets just celebrate that someone somewhere else is being represented :)
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited September 2019
    People keep mentioning that it's called muslim - but they haven't actually said that it's called that in-game, only that it's muslim-inspired. So again, there's NO issue here. Anyway. I've said everything I have to say. You guys need to learn tolerance and accepting different cultures. That something is different from you doesn't mean that it's an attack on you.

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,979 Member
    forums are ridiculous
    clearly they put in hijabs etc because some people in real life wear those in their everyday life
    and for them making their sim self felt off because they didn't have option of wearing hijab
    and this has been issue for some long amount of time

now you want them to add nun outfits?
    that is different because it is solely tied on being a nun
    even if person is christian they don't go around in nun clothes
    so there is a clear difference

if you really want to start being angry over religions
    why not protest having urns and gravestones instead?
    certainly some religion is against that and its awful how we are forcing those on people right? *rolls eyes*
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member

I don't disagree with you, however, I also understand how the hijab can be equated to a religious symbol as well. I also see it as something people wear as a form of modesty.

I honestly can see all sides to the argument. I understand people want representation in the game, and I respect that.

For me personally, I'm not too bothered by it. I just wanted to clarify that the Christmas (or holiday) tree in the game already, is not a religious symbol. I do know a lot of people do see it as such but it isn't.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member

Yes. That's why the added the 'Clothing Optional' lot trait. To be inclusive to non religious people. :)
    So much goodness.
  • Options
    Could someone tell me is there any other religious group besides Muslims (and Jewish people) who fast on certain holidays?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    BaglamukhiBaglamukhi Posts: 38 Member
    i just dont understand why EA would include stuff from a religion that persecutes lgbtq+ people.
    :thinking_emoji:
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,725 Member

A lot of people associate this free update with religion, which is a subject that just as with politics people have very strong opinions about.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

I think it's closer to the Moroccan architecture style.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    forums are ridiculous
    clearly they put in hijabs etc because some people in real life wear those in their everyday life
    and for them making their sim self felt off because they didn't have option of wearing hijab

certainly some religion is against that and its awful how we are forcing those on people right? *rolls eyes*

Omg wouldn't it be hilarious though if all Christians were walking around in nun and priest clothes 😂😂😂

But yes you make a very good point in that it represents a very vast amount of people's everyday clothing. I can understand there are other such items for other cultures and I hope they will add these too for them. But given that it isn't the first, it may not be the last.
  • Options
    Baglamukhi wrote: »
    i just dont understand why EA would include stuff from a religion that persecutes lgbtq+ people.
    :thinking_emoji:

and like people have said elsewhere- Christians and Jewish aren't so nice to gay people either. What religion is Russia again? oh yeah a form of Christianity.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited September 2019
    @SimTrippy Yeah, I would have no problem having a lot more cultural items inspired by religion in the game. I've never had any issues with it. I grew up Christian, but that doens't mean I have a problem with playing a sim that is culturally different than me, just as I have no problem playing a gay sim even though I'm straight. People make everything personal when it shouldn't be.

Edit: this makes more sense
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    forums are ridiculous

No, we asked for crosses and rosaries which are worn everyday as well, not nun outfits and it is only fair if we can also wear those items in sims to represent us as well. Why is it so wrong to ask for that as well if it part of our lives? That is what inclusive is.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

They're middle-eastern architecture and while yes, they are also used on mosques, they're also used on all other types of buildings in that region. Even outside of that region, since there are people who like that type of architecture in general. Let's not go ahead and make windows religious here (or we're gonna need to have the same talk about stained glass ones)
  • Options
    in my Sim-lit story in Gen 7 (current gen) in my plot line something happens to Jane's twin and she feels guilty about it (think horrible Nextflix show with the word 13 in it) so she wears black hijab as a penance(?). I do sort of have Muslims in their society due to their great-great-grandparents (the grandparents aren't Muslims) backstory as seen in Gen 4 which combines Russian history (royal family disappearing), German history (H word), and the very near (?) recent history of Afghanistan. all together into one backstory). But the two main religious are Anneorines and the Enrichment religious (both modelled of off Disney characters-except for Anneorine's Queen of Heaven)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Could someone tell me is there any other religious group besides Muslims (and Jewish people) who fast on certain holidays?

@MadameLee https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting#Christianity
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    forums are ridiculous

No, we asked for crosses and rosaries which are worn everyday as well, not nun outfits and it is only fair if we can also wear those items in sims to represent us as well. Why is it so wrong to ask for that as well if it part of our lives? That is what inclusive is.

Well, maybe that sort of thing is coming as they add things to the game over time. I can't imagine it would be received any more poorly than this hijab or the Pride clothing. :P
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top