Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you not mess up magic please?

LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
Like you do everything else?
- I want my witches/mages to have disciplines that they can specialize/master in.
- Schools and universities they can attend like Harry Potter and The Magicians, complete with houses.
- Not all witches have to use wands. Make hand casting an option
- Actual fatal spells and combat magic.
- Black and white magic should be separate skills. Or make them perk trees. Please don’t just lump these spells into “Spellcasting”.

Also please don’t just create a “pretty” empty world with some shallow skill and call it a day. Put some effort for once. Don’t know why this isn’t an expansion pack, island living should’ve been the game pack. It essentially amounted to a PSA and some SJW’s agenda. Realm of Magic has the potential to have so much more depth!

edited title for profanity filter bypass ~Rtas
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• Options
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    We no nothing even about this pack and opinions don't equal facts as everyone has different opinions on things. For all we know, it could be one of best game packs yet. But until we get more info, there isn't anything we can really say about it.

What does a magic pack even got to do with SJWs anyways? Packs like this existed since Sims 1, long before SJWs. Why even make it political? That's just weird.

Re-read what I wrote?

And I never called Realm of Magic a SJW PSA.......
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    Like you do everything else?
    - I want my witches/mages to have disciplines that they can specialize/master in.
    - Schools and universities they can attend like Harry Potter and The Magicians, complete with houses.
    - Not all witches have to use wands. Make hand casting an option
    - Actual fatal spells and combat magic.
    - Black and white magic should be separate skills. Or make them perk trees. Please don’t just lump these spells into “Spellcasting”.

Also please don’t just create a “pretty” empty world with some shallow skill and call it a day. Put some effort for once. Don’t know why this isn’t an expansion pack, island living should’ve been the game pack. It essentially amounted to a PSA and some SJW’s agenda. Realm of Magic has the potential to have so much more depth!

.... What?
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    1. I had to google SJW to find out what it meant (it’s social justice warrior, for anyone else not versed in acronyms)
    2. What is a PSA (google says it stands for Prostate-specific antigen but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you meant)?
    3. How was Island Living “a PSA and some SJW’s agenda”?
    4. Other than those points on which I am confused, I agree with your sentiment. I like the idea of more gameplay in Realm of Magic and Magic universities/schools would be fun (though I doubt we’ll get them).
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Island Living was like a PSA for SJW because it mentioned cleaning up the environment? If that’s what you mean then yea I’m inclined to agree with you. A large portion of the pack does seem to be about that.

Not sure how they’d do that for a magic pack though. Interesting scenario lol
  • Options
    It’s a video game. Instead of Island Living having resorts and hotels in addition to living on the island they decided to use it as a public service announcement on cleaning the ocean. Like why?

I get it’s a hot button issue but there’s no need to put it in a SIMS game. Must be the reason why we don’t have cars, fossil fuels and gasoline powered cars destroy the environment so they shouldn’t be in the sims!
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited August 2019
    Sjw is creeping really fast in a video game industry no wonder but I don't really know if Island Living is actually cater to them. But I knew some other games really do.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    It’s a video game. Instead of Island Living having resorts and hotels in addition to living on the island they decided to use it as a public service announcement on cleaning the ocean. Like why?

I get it’s a hot button issue but there’s no need to put it in a SIMS game. Must be the reason why we don’t have cars, fossil fuels and gasoline powered cars destroy the environment so they shouldn’t be in the sims!

So... you're mad because Sulani is a livable world and not just a vacation world like Selvadorada or the camp ground? And because they introduced new game play with could help younger simmers understand the importance of taking care of the world?

.... Oooookay then.

That is the job of their parents and the education system, not a video game. Running a resort and staying at a hotel is new gameplay.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited August 2019

So... you're mad because Sulani is a livable world and not just a vacation world like Selvadorada or the camp ground? And because they introduced new game play with could help younger simmers understand the importance of taking care of the world?

.... Oooookay then.

No, they have a point. The Sims team, recently, has been making decisions based on what they want in the game, not what we want. (Grant and dog houses or the pride content, for example) We could argue all day on environmentalism and whether it's worth paying attention to, but that isn't the point of the thread. The OP is asking that the Sims team doesn't push agendas, send messages, regardless of whether they're good or not, etc onto people because nobody plays the Sims to be taught about anything. I play TS3 to explore my Sim's story and TS4 to watch them do stupid things and maybe take a few screenshots. Not to hear "we shoulds" or "we shouldn'ts". I don't play videogames to hear about politics or "important" issues. Do you?

It is also not the job of the Sims team or anybody else for that matter to say what kids should consider to be important or unimportant simply because the children of consumers are NOT the children of Maxis and EA. Nobody is going to tell my own kid (if I had one) that environmentalism should be something paying attention to because I, myself, haven't decided that yet. Who are they to tell your children what you should think about the world?

The Sims is a (at least, it is now) medium, for them, to push messages that they think is right. Dog houses are evil, LGBT pride is great, etc. They can't tell my kids that, I'll tell them what I think (not what they should think) about those topics, regardless of whether I agree with those sentiments or not so that they can form their own opinions. Fundamentally, it's indoctrination. And it shouldn't be in a videogame.

Granted, I'm unsure how such messages could be pushed through magic, but I am inclined to agree. Although I don't see why Island Living essentially amounted to PSA and SJW stuff because it's very easy to ignore it in the first place. It's a part of it, but not the complete essence of the pack. Personally, I forgot you could clean up the island because the game fails at giving you reasons to do anything, but I digress...

happyopi wrote: »
    ..... The entire planet is boiling this summer and your take is "environmentalism bad" ?

The quotes implies the OP stated that in the first place when they never did. In fact, there isn't even an edited note anywhere in their posts. Seems very unusual to use quotes and at the same time, put words into their mouth. Contradictory, even. Also, it's irrelevant and off-topic. We're not talking about that specifically, are we?

Excluding everything said above, they've a point with the original topic. I'm tired of lazy, uninspired, half-baked content. We'll see if RoM is any different.
    Post edited by AHolyToilet on
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Agree with the OP. We need a pack that is well thought out and properly executed. For once. And no politics, and pronouncements, please, regardless of which side of a debate one is on. We get enough of that in RL, no need for it to be in a game that at least in part is an effort to escape from the stress of RL.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    It's 2019 and people still think media we consume exist in a vacuum. Alright then.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    Agree with the OP. We need a pack that is well thought out and properly executed. For once. And no politics, and pronouncements, please, regardless of which side of a debate one is on. We get enough of that in RL, no need for it to be in a game that at least in part is an effort to escape from the stress of RL.

I 100% agree with you. I didn't want the Pride stuff and some people have even suggested disabilities being introduced.
    I think we have enough of this in our real lives.
    Sims could always be lgbt, we didn't need an education on it and I think disabilities is a bit insulting and patronising for people with real disabilities, I hope it is never introduced.
    We know we need to look after the planet, we don't need EA to teach us or ram it down our throats..
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Odd take...
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019
    I was saying stay away from Harry Potter 100% no Magic Schools or Universities.

Hand magic should be default. Wands should be optional, tools at best, to cast spells that require, more energy. Like Opening portals, Mass weather spells, Moving the cosmos, Should require magic wands.

I agree with Fatal Spells and combat spells.

No Alignments Dark Magic is not linked to Being Evil, and Light magic is not linked to being good.
    Good People know how to Hate, and Evil People know Love.

They Should Make Each Type of magic a Skill and if they did a Perk Tiers, then they Sims can use Magic Points (MP) to unlock those spells.

Mysticism Costs 1 MP
    Teleportation Costs 5 MP
    Transformation & Glamour Costs 10 MP
    Light Magic Costs 20 MP
    Dark Magic Costs 20 MP
    Elemental Magic Costs 25 MP
    Alchemy Costs 30 Mp
    Enchanting Costs 30 MP
    Summoning & Conjuring Costs 35 MP
    Prophecy Costs 40 MP
    Forbidden Magic Costs 50 MP
    - Heart Rip - Ripping out another's Heart, and forcing your will over theirs - the ultimate Love Spell/Voodoo Doll. As long as you hold the hearts of the people in your hands, you will always be loved.
    - Necromancy - Successfully bring back the dead or risk
    - Time Travel - Not that it can't be done... it shouldn't be done... but Who am I to tell you what to do!

On the condition Perks Tiers, or perk trees are non Linear. You don't need to unlock a Skill in tier 2, to get to Tier 3.

In doing so they should also do what they did in Cats and Dogs, different Breeds of Practitioners of Magic.
    Like Dogs: Huskies, Corgis, Terriers, Golden Retrievers, German Shepards, Bloodhounds and many more.
    Same with Magic Users: Witches, Wiccans, Wizards, Enchanters, Alchemists, Summoners, Druids, Prophets, Sorcerers
    with the option to rename the Life State, As we can rename breeds.

That's basically what I think they should have done since Sims Supernatural.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    WitchessPancakesWitchessPancakes Posts: 209 Member
    1. I had to google SJW to find out what it meant (it’s social justice warrior, for anyone else not versed in acronyms)
    2. What is a PSA (google says it stands for Prostate-specific antigen but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you meant)?
    3. How was Island Living “a PSA and some SJW’s agenda”?
    4. Other than those points on which I am confused, I agree with your sentiment. I like the idea of more gameplay in Realm of Magic and Magic universities/schools would be fun (though I doubt we’ll get them).

PSA= Public Service Announcement
    The oranges of the Island are like blazing fire Amongst the emerald boughs- And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover- Who has spent the night crying... -Mohammed Ibn Omar-
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    They should also introduce Mutants like Storm, Wolverine, Elsa & Ms. Marvel.
  • Options
    Those are better left for a comic/superhero pack. The overall vibe should be more the brothers Grimm, not Marvel/DC, with perhaps a bit of Arthurian legend thrown in.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2019

.... Oooookay then.

No, they have a point. The Sims team, recently, has been making decisions based on what they want in the game, not what we want. (Grant and dog houses or the pride content, for example) We could argue all day on environmentalism and whether it's worth paying attention to, but that isn't the point of the thread. The OP is asking that the Sims team doesn't push agendas, send messages, regardless of whether they're good or not, etc onto people because nobody plays the Sims to be taught about anything. I play TS3 to explore my Sim's story and TS4 to watch them do stupid things and maybe take a few screenshots. Not to hear "we shoulds" or "we shouldn'ts". I don't play videogames to hear about politics or "important" issues. Do you?

It is also not the job of the Sims team or anybody else for that matter to say what kids should consider to be important or unimportant simply because the children of consumers are NOT the children of Maxis and EA. Nobody is going to tell my own kid (if I had one) that environmentalism should be something paying attention to because I, myself, haven't decided that yet. Who are they to tell your children what you should think about the world?

The Sims is a (at least, it is now) medium, for them, to push messages that they think is right. Dog houses are evil, LGBT pride is great, etc. They can't tell my kids that, I'll tell them what I think (not what they should think) about those topics, regardless of whether I agree with those sentiments or not so that they can form their own opinions. Fundamentally, it's indoctrination. And it shouldn't be in a videogame.

Granted, I'm unsure how such messages could be pushed through magic, but I am inclined to agree. Although I don't see why Island Living essentially amounted to PSA and SJW stuff because it's very easy to ignore it in the first place. It's a part of it, but not the complete essence of the pack. Personally, I forgot you could clean up the island because the game fails at giving you reasons to do anything, but I digress...

Well said! Honestly, it's EA we're talking about. Had they ever campaign themselves to clean the ocean? I would have more incentive to listen for a company that does just that, because they're believable and would partake in the cause to support that they themselves are a good example of it.

Even when they're trying to spread a message of how serious global warning is... they better off reflecting it by showing the consequences of it. What's bad in it If my Sims didn't decide to pick the beaches? Does that deter Sims from coming because of the stench? How much does it influence the environment so it outweighs positive outcomes, that would give initiative for a player to care about the trash and most importantly be provoked to think what it entails in real life? If Maxis is gonna turn TS4 into a learning tool like Captain Planet, they better go by doing it further and not half-🐸🐸🐸🐸 it. The execution of this addition has a lot of room for improvement, but as it currently stances - it doesn't make a great tool since it's not deep enough to be accurate nor engaging.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    The focus of EA should be on full development of the announced theme of the pack - Realm of Magic. Period. There are plentiful outlets providing awareness/indoctrination of all persuasions elsewhere. We are up to the ears and beyond with it in RL, no need for it to be in our games unless said game is explicitly about such topics. Which Sims isn't. Not yet, anyway.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited August 2019

.... Oooookay then.

Well said! Honestly, it's EA we're talking about. Had they ever campaign themselves to clean the ocean? I would have more incentive to listen for a company that does just that, because they're believable and would partake in the cause to support that they themselves are a good example of it.

Even when they're trying to spread a message of how serious global warning is... they better off reflecting it by showing the consequences of it. What's bad in it If my Sims didn't decide to pick the beaches? Does that deter Sims from coming because of the stench? How much does it influence the environment so it outweighs positive outcomes, that would give initiative for a player to care about the trash and most importantly be provoked to think what it entails in real life? If Maxis is gonna turn TS4 into a learning tool like Captain Planet, they better go by doing it further and not half-plum it. The execution of this addition has a lot of room for improvement, but as it currently stances - it doesn't make a great tool since it's not deep enough to be accurate nor engaging.

I suppose I see your point since if they're going to try to make Simmers care about the environment, then executing it in a way where there are no severe consequences in the game defeats the purpose and accomplishes nothing except the opposite of what they "wanted". Which is people not caring about the environment. That is true. But if they did it correctly, I would still be against it for attempting to make the public think a certain way, despite the majority of people (especially children when it comes to the Sims) never taking the time to properly educate themselves in topics without preconcieved worldviews and biases.

Even with your global warming example, I would be against that because global warming doesn't exist. Therefore, they would be indoctrinating others into something that's the equivalent of chasing unicorns and midget, diaper-wearing cyclopes with fairy wings. Now we could go back and forth on global warming itself (if it didn't threaten the thread being closed down), but regardless of who is correct on that, my ultimate point is that I don't want the Sims team trying to teach people in "issues" they think is important. Especially since in my eyes, they often teach or try to teach the wrong conclusion.

Even if they taught something that was completely true, I would still be against it on the basis of trying to influence the thinking of others, especially children. Let games be games. Not beds of persuasion.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I don't know wth is going on here (won't read, doesn't interest me) but TS4 is rated T for Teen so I'm not sure why "won't somebody think of the children" is the hill you want to die on.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    The hill you want to die on :D:D:D:D
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I must admit I was pretty disappointed that they went clean the island route. I love the environment, I'm vegetarian, I try to live a healthy lifestyle and promote healthy living to my friends etc etc. But I do NOT play video games for education, learning or healthy living purposes, and neither would I let my kids if I had any. I play them for wild video game fun and cleaning up a beach is not included in my wild fun. I have not picked one piece of trash up from Sulani and I probably never will. I was surprised to hear how many people liked this. I'm happy for all who liked it but It felt more like a distraction for missing gameplay to me. *shrugs*
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top