Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For players who use $ cheats , what are your gameplay objectives?

Im going to have a save where I don't use $ cheats and a separate save where I do a less strict style of play and allow $ cheats. But for those who are using them, what are your goals for your sims and what drives the direction of your gameplay?
"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Mastering skills and careers, fostering good relationships, raising good children, designing innovative living spaces, etc. My Sims drive my gameplay with their Aspirations and Whims, as well as their own personalities, interests, interactions and so on. Chasing Simoleons doesn't really enhance any of that and, past a certain point, the money accumulates faster than I can spend it anyway.

• Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Depends on the sim and my "use" for them, whether I created them for a specific plotline or I'm just playing for funsies. The goal can be anything from "become the leader of the free world" to "have 50 babies and colonize every world with your offspring" to something as random as "homewreck every Maxis couple by getting the wife pregnant". I just did a playthrough of cleaning up Mua Pel'am and now I'm playing an ultra glamorous rich sim who owns and manages her own penthouse club and is secretly an evil witch and slowly killing off all of her patrons and neighbors to harness their souls and live forever, that one's a lot of fun :D
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Mastering skills and careers, fostering good relationships, raising good children, designing innovative living spaces, etc. My Sims drive my gameplay with their Aspirations and Whims, as well as their own personalities, interests, interactions and so on. Chasing Simoleons doesn't really enhance any of that and, past a certain point, the money accumulates faster than I can spend it anyway.

I'll just say ditto since you said it so well. :)
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm a cheater! What drives my gameplay? The story, obviously. I have only one rule in my game: play a story, not a challenge. Earning money, maxing out skills - unless it's driven by the story, I have no interest in doing those kinds of things. Drama, conflicts, growth of characters - now that's what I call gameplay! So I do use cheats, but only for realism purposes. For example, the family I'm playing with right now is rich and wealthy, so I used cheats the give them a lot of money. One of the family members is athletic, so I raised his athletic skill up to 6. Another member of the household is a popular actor, so I promoted him via cheats to level 5 of the actor career, set his fame to 4 stars and raised his acting skill to level 7. That been said, I don't only use cheats to make my game easier. One toddler in my game had his communication skill lowered to level 1 as soon as he reached level 2 for a very long time because according to the story he wasn't supposed to speak. So yeah - using cheats doesn't always mean maxing out all of your sims skills and giving them unlimited money just because you're too lazy to grind all of that. Sometimes it can be used to make your gameplay more realistic and interesting! ;)
  • Options
    nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited July 2019
    Ooooh, I'm keeping my eye on the responses in here since I've posted a poll about it: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17165329/p1
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't use any cheats except for bb.moveobjects or occasionally cas.fulleditmode if I need to fix an ugly townie.

Once in my old save I used a money cheat to move a family in a nicer house and it bothered me so much that I quit playing that save. :D
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I mainly use money cheats to purchase homes. I usually have a storyline in my head, and want to put the family in a home consistent with that. I don't use it for every family. But I do play rotationally and want to have a mix of poor and wealthy families. The only family I have that I have given more than enough for the house is the Landgrabbs. They need maid service and a caterer.
  • Options
    MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    edited July 2019
    My main goal is character building, getting all the reward traits that suit their personalities, mastering respective skills, careers, completing collections, getting all the unlocks for making adequate outfits and interiors - yes, this one is very important for me.
  • Options
    TLM08TLM08 Posts: 105 Member
    Mine just depends on what kind of family I am playing. Sometimes I cheat just to get the house I want but them I start them with maybe 1-5 thousand. Sometimes I give them all of the money because I don't want to worry about it. Lately I have been playing my legacy family so obviously no cheats but the family is at the point where I'm not struggling to buy what my sims want, so I don't have to worry about it.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Storyline and screenshots.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited July 2019
    I use freerealestate if I’m 500 to 1000 simoleans short of buying a starter house (this seems to happen a lot). I feel like this is totally reasonable given the restrictive nature of single sims’ starting money.

Other than that I mostly use cheats to deal with annoyances.
    Post edited by So_Money on
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    When I actually play instead of build, I'm usually testing something.

How fast can I get to the top of the acting career?
    Can I operate a cult with several branches?
    If my teen runs away from home with only his guitar and toddler sister, what kind of lifestyle can he provide for her?

This is why I never make it past the second generation. I push the game mechanics, do my social experiments, and when I come up with another question, I want to start fresh.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I'm sure other have said the same, but for me using cheats is something I do to reflect a certain story I'm doing. So, basically, if this sim is "supposed" to be rich, then I'll make them rich. If they're supposed to be rich, then I might be playing a game where to focus is raising a perfect heir, or becoming world famous, or maybe my wealthy sim is looking for a perfect match and goees on a series of dates looking for "The One." In one of my old, lost saves, I had the last remaining Landgraab who wanted a big happy family, but kept having trouble conceiving, and so I turned the it into a story about a wealthy woman who adopted lots of kids and used her fortune to give them the best life she could. It all just depends on the narrative.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    I play a community, and because I play rotationally some families might miss job promotions and income, so their develop ment seems a bit slow (and unfair). So, I have a system where I know how much each household should be worth, and I might use money cheat to fine tune their net balance to match my system. And - I might use cheats when starting a new family with a history, say a rich family or someone already being a celebrity, mostly for story telling, but also because variety in my game is nice. Once they are settled I'd not cheat them anything, though.

I rarely cheat to help my sims buy or build stuff. In one house they could hardly add a wall mounted greenhouse but it took them one more game rotation to add the windows, LOL. They could not afford windows when the walls were built. The household was already worth a little more than I had set for them, so there was no way I would help :)

Btw, my sims can take up a bank loan within certain limits. I don't see that as cheating though, because they will need to pay back, and are even charged interests. I use cheats to arrange it, though.

I now have a different and more detailed money routine in my game, so I hope there will be more gaming and less cheating :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    edited July 2019
    Lately I use the money cheats for my celebrity sims, because they don’t make tons of money as one would think. My Global Superstar, an actor, once he hit that status he was still only at $55k as far as money collected. He was also still living in a very small home...so I cheated his money into the millions so that he can live in the Pinnacles. Another actor that I have, she was living with her parents when she started her career, and she just got her “B lister” status, so I thought it was time for her to move out on her own. Well when you split the household they only give the household moving out $20k and I know very well she has made waaaay more than that. So I moved her out and used the money cheat to quadruple her starting income.
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2019
    As others have said, it's all about the story you're telling yourself in your head, and making the game as consistent with that as you can. I've also repeatedly taken money away from some households via cheats, as they've earned more than they should, or demoted them via cheats 'cuz there's no way they'd have gotten that promotion or raise, sorry not sorry.

I've always loved The Sims because it's not a goal-oriented game; to me the latter amounts to jumping through someone else's hoops, & not a lot of fun. I want a game that's as malleable, as sandbox-like as possible. The so-called cheats are necessary because the developers didn't make more options available in game set-up, etc. They're not cheats, in my book. (Especially not when I'm using them to work around a bug that has interfered with gameplay, grrrrr!) :wink:

edit: typo
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    For me it's all about completing and experiencing as many features in the game as possible while focusing on raising a family and maintaining familial and social relationships. My current family owns several businesses which they rotate managing on the weekends. A restaurant, clothing store, bridal boutique, photography studio, and vet clinic. No way would I want to wait until they'd accumulated enough funds to buy these businesses. They do however run the businesses on the profits generated.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2019
    I hate working in real life and the money struggle, so my sims barely work in the game and they have millions of simoleons. Its all fun and games for me. I focus on family play and having fun. Photography with pose player to create my own stories. Like yesterday I built a grocery store/restaurant and set up all kind of shopping poses so they can get what they needed for the camping trip I'm planning tomorrow.

My kids barely ever go to school unless I get tired of them. I fill up the calendar with holidays and events.

I did one time burn all my money in the fireplace to try living off the grid and make money selling sculptors. That didn't last long :smirk:
    The grind Is not for me.

The other 80% of my time is spent in CAS lol
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'll usually cheat money to build my sims a nice house with everything they need, or what I think they need. I like for them to do everything they CAN do at home. I leave them with a little bit extra money for things I missed out when I first built the house. There are always things I forget. They will earn enough money eventually to have a pretty comfortable life, but I've never had really filthy rich sims, not even with cheated money.
  • Options
    DeadInsid3_plur2EDMDeadInsid3_plur2EDM Posts: 44 Member
    Depends on what storyline I'm creating. Sometimes I won't and have either both parents work or just one and just work my way up the ladder like a true struggling working family sometimes I want to worry more about goals or doing other things and dont have the time or energy to make enough so will cheat and add a little esp if I want a nice or even decent home for my sims. I've worked my way up and then times I cheated a a lot or a mixture. Currently my sim is like a replica of paris Hilton having daddies money doing what she wants being rich but ultimately trying to be famous cheating on several partners. Maybe a certain tape got her famous lol. Also when I met my celebrity husband turns out he wasnt even in the world and bad the basic 20,000 so when I wanted the huge mansion I had to cheat cuz his broke azzzz wasnt rich like I thought lol now she has a kid and shes still cheating so a divorce might occur and more money might be involved for a custody battle lmao. The back story to her child hood is actually really disturbing and she faced a Ton of adversity however I'm not smart enough to install mods to do the real things I wanted but money helps kinda with my imagination :lol:
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    With cheats and MCCC, gameplay objective is to be apart of the background households once everythinig is set correctly. watching sims pair off and seeing families coming in from time to time. For those i do control?

Well it's about getting money together, building a more comfortable existence over time, finding a perfect mate that MC can't assign but has good traits and job. This leaves the way free and clear to create a family when the sim family members are in the mid point of their adult lives, leaving just long enough to see the children become teenagers before the original family members embrace the reapers scythe. Those kids have the best i can give them in life and the best head start i can manage them. I'd prefer to look after 2 or 3 teenagers at this point, any more go into the background to find a family of their own and i make sure one of them is male so the surname continues if nothing else.
  • Options
    GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Options
    Rizzy394Rizzy394 Posts: 21 Member
    Sometimes I play with cheats and other times I choose not to. Though when I DO use cheats, it's usually just to give my Sim enough money to build the house I want them to have. Then I set it to a standard amount of money (so like $10,000 - $25,000). I typically enjoy building my own homes, so I rarely ever use pre-made houses or houses from the gallery.
  • Options
    RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    If I use a money cheat then it's usually only the freerealestate one, to move a big household into a decent sized house their meagre starting money can't afford.
    I have never had an issue with money in TS4, unless you count getting it too easy. My runaway teen started to get thousands easily by just having a dozen or so plants growing.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I don't like gardening very much and my sims never have a lot of money @RIP-Troika-Games
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."