Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Family Tree Cull

I don’t understand why the pictures of past generations are erased and not preserved in the Genealogy. It’s maddening and I don’t want to deal with the work of creating a custom family tree. Has it always been like this in past iterations? I hope this is patched, even if it only shows the picture and who their married to, it would still be helpful with my legacy.

Comments

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019
    No, in the past games(sims3) ancestor who happen to be erased from the game completely still keep their portrait intact, In sims 4 if sims has been culled their portraits are missing as well so I made sure they dont get culled, but SOMEHOW the game still cull them so I dont bother with sims 4's family tree anymore, my sims had 3 deceased children and the game culled them. I lost interest playing with that legacy atm.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Yeah, I often play multi-generations and I hate this so much. Isn't there a way for them to at least keep the picture and basic information, even if the sim is otherwise "culled"?
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I'm on gen 17 now and it only shows about 3 generations back.
    No big deeal for me as I hardly ever check it anyway and document it on my blog.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    I use MCCC to control the sim-culling, but someday I'm going to have to let the ghosts fade away. So far, I've been playing with aging off, stalling for time so I can send...the elderly sim-generation that's now dying-off to college? Yeah, hah. I'm hoping to send their grandkids to college, at least! --but apparently I can't maintain interest in the same sims for more than 4-5 years real-time. :lol: (Well, except for one or two vampire sims that I don't play 'cuz vampires are broken!)

Yeah, agree that the loss of our family trees stinks. I've also noticed that second-cousins don't know they're related, & iirc great-aunts/uncles & great-nieces/nephews don't know they're related. Just grandparents & grandkids, first-cousins, & great-grandparents. /shrug
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    It's very sad that they do this. I use MCCC to stop culling from happening. There was a time when my main legacy Sim was so glitched that I had to test something in his file without mods, and I saved because I thought that would help me test the problem. Turns out I didn't need to save, but saving the game after just a few minutes of in-game play wiped generations from my family tree, including the very first founder Sims I'd played in the file. Needless to say I was pretty upset. Shame on the team for not valuing legacy play. They have an Achivement in-game for having a family tree of 26 generations, but I don't see how it's possible to play that without cheats.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Can culling not be prevented by tagging a given household as 'played' or simply as favored?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Can culling not be prevented by tagging a given household as 'played' or simply as favored?

This can protect your current Sims from culling, but I don't know if it protects their family trees.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited July 2019
    Terra wrote: »
    Nindigo wrote: »

This can protect your current Sims from culling, but I don't know if it protects their family trees.

Not only that but I would be concerned about game lag due to saving ghost sims in the actual game. At the least I would expect a sim picture, their family ties and children in the genealogy.