Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was anyone else hoping that the announcement...

Comments

• Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I'm just gonna point out that you don't have to buy digital copies of the games. You can always purchase a disk version at stores like target, walmart, and bestbuy. I have half the collection on dvd rom disks that I purchased in a store not online.

I agree that the devs need to get it together and focus on fixing the content they've already released versus releasing new content. Especially since bugs and bug fixes can have ripple effects throughout the code causing other issues. It's gonna get harder for them to find and fix the bugs if they just keep adding piles of code on top of it... which is basically where they're already at.

However, I'm not plum off. I'm not angry with the devs. I still choose to play the sims because I like to play the sims. I have so much time and content invested in my game that I accept the bugs and glitches because I've allowed those when I chose to open my game to full creativity. Sure, I could play vanilla and have a much more boring experience but I choose not to.. and I can't really blame that on the devs. They didn't force custom content and mods on us. They let us alter and change the game that they created and put money, time, and work into. Yeah they didn't listen to every single thing the fans said but just think about it for a minute ..the sims came a really long way since the initial release of the game. Just the abilities we have to mod and change our gameplay have gone from minimal to so many possibilities. I'll take a few bugs (that don't cause my game to crash) and be happy with it because I have way more control over my game play now than ever before.

But I don't think its fair to say they are unethical in any way. In fact, I'm not even sure what you mean by unethical considering that statement doesn't even agree with the definition of the word.

I live in the US. Here all you get in the DVD boxes, apart from the first one, is a piece of paper with a code on it. You might as well just order it through Origin. I am not even sure the first one had the actual game on it. Just a redirect to Origin. Trust me. If I could have had real physical copies I would have gone that route. It might be dfferent for other countries, but not here where the game is made.
  • Options
    SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    edited June 2019
    The franchise already knew (from years of Simmers discussing) what was wanted from the series. That was the (touted, albeit likely untrue- since the focus is more on making a pile of fast money) goal of TS4; a much better working model of TS predecessors. The franchise knew about all of the various issues (game breaking), such as bugs, lag, and always adding more packs. They also knew that most players engage in legacy play, and have long running storylines. They also knew that people like building, design, and creating their own (tuned to them) Worlds.

So, going into this 4th installment, with all of that knowledge, the knowledge is that there will be additional packs, items, and ongoing additions.... Before even announcing (and by announcing they added pressure to themselves to quickly bang out a product- because they over-hyped it before addressing key issues) that they would be attempting to design TS4 they should have asked themselves: How can the team make those things knit together, and work as seamlessly (as possible)- without a multitude of issues? First, and foremost, is that they must ask themselves if it (really) is doable. That would mean that they must (1) develop all those packs beforehand and ensure that they do not conflict one another. Or (2), with each new pack, test, test, take time, and test again, all of those new mechanics- to ensure the final products all piece together in harmony.

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I don't think it does do much good complaining via this Forum but I had results from complaining to the online Helpers that some games like SimCitySocieties/Destinations that I bought on Sale from them a year ago wouldn't play on Windows 10.

They now all are, so I think I eventually convinced them using UK Trading Standards etc..... You have to know how to complain without abusing - it get better results.

SimCity5 hasn't got servers anymore but is still playable too and very cheap these days as a single player game and I regard myself as owning it.
  • Options
    I'm just gonna point out that you don't have to buy digital copies of the games. You can always purchase a disk version at stores like target, walmart, and bestbuy. I have half the collection on dvd rom disks that I purchased in a store not online.

Sure, I could play vanilla and have a much more boring experience but I choose not to.. and I can't really blame that on the devs.

You don't get an actual physical copy of the game. You get a piece of paper in a box (let's also discuss the waste in packaging, manufacturing, and resources)...

You just summed it up there: ... "and have a much more boring experience". That IS a dev issue. They made a boring (your words) game (which is why people are starved for content). A game is supposed to be fun, enjoyable, exciting. It is a dev's job (paid, very well I might add) to do that task.
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Bug free games don't exist (unless they are extremely simple games). It's not like they want to release them full of bugs. I don't normally defend EA but your post is really strange and naive...
  • Options
    jooxis wrote: »
    Bug free games don't exist (unless they are extremely simple games). It's not like they want to release them full of bugs. I don't normally defend EA but your post is really strange and naive...

Saying that bug free games don't exist is actually the naive statement. And, yes, they are releasing them- knowing there are bugs, and a lot of them.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2019

I agree that the devs need to get it together and focus on fixing the content they've already released versus releasing new content. Especially since bugs and bug fixes can have ripple effects throughout the code causing other issues. It's gonna get harder for them to find and fix the bugs if they just keep adding piles of code on top of it... which is basically where they're already at.

However, I'm not plum off. I'm not angry with the devs. I still choose to play the sims because I like to play the sims. I have so much time and content invested in my game that I accept the bugs and glitches because I've allowed those when I chose to open my game to full creativity. Sure, I could play vanilla and have a much more boring experience but I choose not to.. and I can't really blame that on the devs. They didn't force custom content and mods on us. They let us alter and change the game that they created and put money, time, and work into. Yeah they didn't listen to every single thing the fans said but just think about it for a minute ..the sims came a really long way since the initial release of the game. Just the abilities we have to mod and change our gameplay have gone from minimal to so many possibilities. I'll take a few bugs (that don't cause my game to crash) and be happy with it because I have way more control over my game play now than ever before.

But I don't think its fair to say they are unethical in any way. In fact, I'm not even sure what you mean by unethical considering that statement doesn't even agree with the definition of the word.

Hmmm, It depends, physical copies are getting scarce and another thing you may want to keep in mind while you may be able to get an copy of that physical copy it does not install like the games of old. I bet you on most of them you must have an third party to finish the installation so all in all on most physical copies it is not 100% installable w/o an third party. So like an 100% digital copy if that company folds you will not be able to complete an installation unless they provide the Windows installer file that frees up the need for the program to shake hands with the company like GOG does.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    itsaluminumitsaluminum Posts: 36 Member
    I live in the US. I have hard copies of the sims 4 and some of the packs that I did in fact purchase at Target. I didn't even have internet when I purchased and installed them hence why I didn't just download them. So it may be different in some parts of the country, but it's certainly possible to find them.

Anyway I'm confused at this thread I mean the discussion has kind of turned into an attack on anyone you don't agree with. I didn't say they made a boring game. I said that I could play vanilla and have a much more boring experience (than with my game now completely modded and customized to my entire liking.) The game is fun, enjoyable, and exciting and I'm sure to many people other than just me.

I do agree with some of your points and issues with the bugs and what not. But I also think you're being pretty harsh and since you know how to do it so much better than the team of developers who do this for a living... well why don't you try it then.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I live in the US. I have hard copies of the sims 4 and some of the packs that I did in fact purchase at Target. I didn't even have internet when I purchased and installed them hence why I didn't just download them. So it may be different in some parts of the country, but it's certainly possible to find them.

Anyway I'm confused at this thread I mean the discussion has kind of turned into an attack on anyone you don't agree with. I didn't say they made a boring game. I said that I could play vanilla and have a much more boring experience (than with my game now completely modded and customized to my entire liking.) The game is fun, enjoyable, and exciting and I'm sure to many people other than just me.

I do agree with some of your points and issues with the bugs and what not. But I also think you're being pretty harsh and since you know how to do it so much better than the team of developers who do this for a living... well why don't you try it then.

I personally was not coming down on you. My apologies if you felt that way. I was just explaining what I have seen in my neck of the woods. It could be different where you live. I have only seen codes here after the base game, which I expected since I knew EA wanted to phase physical copies out.
  • Options
    SimChi wrote: »

Saying that bug free games don't exist is actually the naive statement. And, yes, they are releasing them- knowing there are bugs, and a lot of them.

I make games for a living. Bug-free games don't exist. Especially newer, more complex games on the scale of the Sims. Just cause you haven't encountered any major bug in some game you play doesn't make it bug-free.
    I didn't say they were releasing them without knowing there are bugs - of course they know. I said it's not like they intentionally want to release them full of bugs.

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    You're right @JoAnne65 that bugs are not in and of themselves acceptable, not any more in 4 than in 3. But I do find that most of the bugs I encounter in 4 do eventually get fixed, sometimes right away in post-EP emergency patches, and sometimes 1-2 months later in big bug fix patches. Most of the bugs I ever saw in 3 are still there and can often only be fully fixed with mods (NRaas, for example). That's kind of the difference I tried to point out. It's not that I enjoy the bugs that I have, but I do see them getting fixed and I currently have barely any at all. So yes, it's a bit subjective in the end, and perhaps also depends on how many you encounter.
    Quite recently this mod was brought to my attention. That was a gasp moment for me, because that’s exactly what Sims 4 is about for me and one of the reasons I’m unable to get into the game, sims just standing there doing nothing. It’s so lifeless, so... dull. Completely clueless why people constantly claim these sims are so lively and active, they aren’t in my game. So, apparently we need that mod for that and if I’ll ever open my Sims 4 game again, I’ll make sure to install it. But why hasn’t EA? I see bugs being a problem all the time here. People hoping a particular bug will be fixed, being diappointed when it’s not adressed in a next patch, being happy when it is, being disappointed when it breaks again in a next pack or patch.

I completely understand why people accept this. When you love a game you do, you’ll have to. But the excusing I really don’t understand. Not in a “then you’ll have to excuse it for Sims 3 as well” kind of way but in a “no, in Sims 4 it’s not justifiable or defensible either” kind of way.

I'm confused. What am I supposed to be looking at in that mod? What's so different between the mod vs the regular game?
    It reduces simulation lag. You can see it in the comparison video. On the left a lot of the sims are just sitting or standing there, doing nothing, as if they're waiting for something. On the right everyone is interacting or doing something (like the bartender). Plus it's in the description?

It's what happened when game is so modable that bug takes too long to fix, and usually let to the community to fix the bug, Skyrim being one of them, there are dozens of bugs and only few of them have been fixed by bethesda, Mod got plenty of those bug fixed namely the Unnoficial Skyrim Patches, I think this is what happen to The Sims 4 now.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I make games for a living. Bug-free games don't exist. Especially newer, more complex games on the scale of the Sims. Just cause you haven't encountered any major bug in some game you play doesn't make it bug-free.
    I didn't say they were releasing them without knowing there are bugs - of course they know. I said it's not like they intentionally want to release them full of bugs.

Good to know where your defense mechanism is coming from, and the insistence regarding bugs. I suspected, because of the insistence ... and now we know. It is a demanding job, of course, a lot of jobs are. Sometimes, though, as hard as it is, people need to recognize their abilities and limits, and step back so that others- who have been producing better products - can do the level of tech that is needed. That is not a slam. It is just about recognizing one's limits... In this case, it would be the lack of ability of some members of the team being unable to meet normal game standards. That may also be a management failure; hyping a product before they can even ensure that they have a team who can accomplish the task- and have the time to do so (which makes it appear that it is dev & engineer incompetence, rather than a failure of management).
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

Good to know where your defense mechanism is coming from, and the insistence regarding bugs. I suspected, because of the insistence ... and now we know. It is a demanding job, of course, a lot of jobs are. Sometimes, though, as hard as it is, people need to recognize their abilities and limits, and step back so that others- who have been producing better products - can do the level of tech that is needed. That is not a slam. It is just about recognizing one's limits... In this case, it would be the lack of ability of some members of the team being unable to meet normal game standards. That may also be a management failure; hyping a product before they can even ensure that they have a team who can accomplish the task- and have the time to do so (which makes it appear that it is dev & engineer incompetence, rather than a failure of management).

Can I ask what your own technical experience is in game development?
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »

You can, but I prefer to keep my private information private :)
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited June 2019
    Not sure what you mean with your comment.
    For years I’ve seen comments slating and bashing Sims 3 for having so many bugs (and rightly so). And now all of a sudden it’s:
    I don't expect anything to get released "bug-free" as the OP puts it

Since you wanna quote me directly, do you also want to quote me bashing TS3 for its bugs..? Cause I don't believe I ever have.

It's important to keep in mind that the community isn't a hivemind. We don't all speak for each other or think the same way. When I say something, it's not meant to be consistent with what everyone else has ever said in the past.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    edited June 2019

I don't need to ask you what your experience is with game dev is cause I know the answer ;) so I understand where you're coming from... nothing more I can say, really.
  • Options
    I don't need to ask you what your experience is with game dev is cause I know the answer ;) so I understand where you're coming from... nothing more I can say, really.

You don't, but we can see that you think a lot of things, and assume. That's all that's needed. Please stop being childish.
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    would include "Hey Simmers! We really listened to you guys, and have decided that you do not have to pay UnSimly amounts of money to 'rent' the game (and small packs)... You guys (simmers) actually own your games (because it's a normal thing). We also are releasing a completely bug-free game/ packs from now on!... We also listened to your huge disappointment in releasing a DLC for a DLC (the embarrassing "My first pets stuff" incident).... And one last HUGE surprise.. the "motherlode" (*crowd laughs)... We have been making these tiny TS4 games/packs in order to work on fixing alllll the issues in TS3 (and TS4 for those who prefer it), and you are all getting a (free) update!"

Anyone else??.... Just me? :D:*

Only you and me or is that you and I. lol

It's "you and I" ... except not I, lol, as I did not have the audacity for such hope. :D
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I don't think it does do much good complaining via this Forum but I had results from complaining to the online Helpers that some games like SimCitySocieties/Destinations that I bought on Sale from them a year ago wouldn't play on Windows 10.

They now all are, so I think I eventually convinced them using UK Trading Standards etc..... You have to know how to complain without abusing - it get better results.

SimCity5 hasn't got servers anymore but is still playable too and very cheap these days as a single player game and I regard myself as owning it.

Complaining does no good with Maxis in general. They are too busy nitpicking the way you must provide feedback to actually pay attention to any of it. They ignore the fact that this game is not free, and consumers absolutely have rights to voice their dissatisfaction with any product they sell.

Good example of this is with SimCity actually where they openly ignored all of the complaints they were getting, told players they were wrong, and then lied directly to players when the game flopped on day 1. The Maxis brand (ever since it resurfaced in 2012) is NOT the same Maxis that built these amazing franchises up. It’s a greedy subsidiary who has no respect for players or their wants.
  • Options

You don't, but we can see that you think a lot of things, and assume. That's all that's needed. Please stop being childish.

After the mountain of assumptions you made about me, that's pretty funny. :) Stick to to talking about stuff you know about, otherwise people who do know will call you out on it.
  • Options
    After the mountain of assumptions you made about me, that's pretty funny. :) Stick to to talking about stuff you know about, otherwise people who do know will call you out on it.

Err.. actually... I never made assumptions- let alone a "mountain" of them. I said I recognized where your bias came from, since you were the one who said that you "make games for a living". Anyway... I do stick to stuff that I know about, and you are not calling me on anything. What you are doing is being childish, please stop.
  • Options
    Nothing childish about anything I said, but I guess it's your go-to response for something you disagree with. Anyhow, I will stop because there's nothing to gain from talking to you. Like I said - nothing more to say.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

This is so true though. I've sometimes encountered these uber random bugs in extremely polished AAA titles and thought "man if I'd never gotten into this particular cave and done this exact sequence of actions, I would've never even known this game had bugs". But it's easier to find and fix them in largely linear games. The sims is unfortunately anything but linear and bugs are caused by a huge amount of if's (and can be connected to anything from traits to actions to pack combinations, and so on). People sometimes forget how hard it is to find and eliminate bugs from that - even more so without causing any new ones.
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    This is so true though. I've sometimes encountered these uber random bugs in extremely polished AAA titles and thought "man if I'd never gotten into this particular cave and done this exact sequence of actions, I would've never even known this game had bugs". But it's easier to find and fix them in largely linear games. The sims is unfortunately anything but linear and bugs are caused by a huge amount of if's (and can be connected to anything from traits to actions to pack combinations, and so on). People sometimes forget how hard it is to find and eliminate bugs from that - even more so without causing any new ones.

Yep. There's a lot of ways to break a game that on the surface seems to go smoothly. I used to do bug testing work as well and there's almost always a sequence of actions you can do to make something break XD with the Sims franchise it's even more complicated since the combinations of things you can do are endless, an internal test team wouldn't have that kind of time.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2019

I don’t hope anyone will ask me what my medical experience is when I’ll need surgery one day and assume the doctors will do a proper job. Or what my mechanical experience is when I’ll need a plumber.
    “Hi, I apologize for disturbing you, but after you paid us a visit my bathroom is flooded?”
    “Ah, yes lady, that can happen, is that a problem? May I ask you what your own experience is with plumbing..? ... Ya, thought as much. Buy a mop. Bye bye.”
    5JZ57S6.png