Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy Simlish in your game?

Comments

• Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited April 2019
    No, we don't want them to speak real-world languages. Absolutely not. Even one phrase completely in English would ruin the immersion.

And if they used text-to-speech for our sims' names, chances are also high for them to get butchered, especially if they're not English names. Which is.. super common in non-English games!!
    I play in Norwegian. I absolutely wouldn't trust an American-based text-to-speech engine to pronounce my sim names correctly. And it will most likely sound very robotic too.

Overall I just see a ton of extra work for the devs, with a mediocre result. No thanks.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    No, we don't want them to speak real-world languages. Absolutely not.

If they used text-to-speech for our sims' names, chances are also high for them to get butchered, especially if they're not English names.

Overall I just see a ton of extra work for the devs, with a mediocre result. No thanks.

NOA radio is entirely done by computer-generated speech, and I can't count how many towns - towns with traditional, English names like 'Sterling' - get so badly mispronounced that I can't even recognise them. It would also be a bit jarring to suddenly hear something in English in the middle of all the Simlish.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    No, we don't want them to speak real-world languages. Absolutely not.

If they used text-to-speech for our sims' names, chances are also high for them to get butchered, especially if they're not English names.

NOA radio is entirely done by computer-generated speech, and I can't count how many towns - towns with traditional, English names like 'Sterling' - get so badly mispronounced that I can't even recognise them. It would also be a bit jarring to suddenly hear something in English in the middle of all the Simlish.

I mean the local radio station is humans, and they always get my last name wrong (I have an athlete cousin), so it’s not just text to speech.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Weirdly enough, I don’t like when there’s English used in the game for anything other than dialogue boxes and the important stuff you need to be able to read.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    No, we don't want them to speak real-world languages. Absolutely not. Even one phrase completely in English would ruin the immersion.

And if they used text-to-speech for our sims' names, chances are also high for them to get butchered, especially if they're not English names. Which is.. super common in non-English games!!
    I play in Norwegian. I absolutely wouldn't trust an American-based text-to-speech engine to pronounce my sim names correctly. And it will most likely sound very robotic too.

This is off subject, I never said anything about using voice, nor did I say anything about text to speech engine. My point was only text as it is now in the game.

Sorry if you misunderstood. Sometimes it gets mixed up when you comment on comments that are off subject.

Sure if you want to change it to a different subject it's fine with me just please make a new discussion.
    Most of the comments are on the subject. Thanks to all of you that stayed on the subject, I enjoyed your comments.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited April 2019
    Stormsview wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    @Stormsview names are so different though. The english alphabet doesn't even have the letters a lot of other languages have. For instance the name Jenny you said isn't pronounced the english way in a lot languages. You're thinking people use english names only. It's not very romantic or cute when you have a proposing sim and they completely butcher the name cause the name isn't english or isn't pronounced the english way or has letters/sounds the english language doesn't have.

We do name our own Sims right? So they would know the correct name to use right? A Sims name is not an issue, for all else, they would use their translators.

The Sims games are already translated to sell games all over the World in each language, so they are already translating. If they personalize English games they would personalize all of their games throughout the world.

Okay you must have missed the point of the thread. It was about spoken language not written. So basically everything you said we already have. And there is no way to have voice actors read out every name and sound in the world or at least the languages the game is translated into now.
    edit: if you go back to the first post you can see yourself you've written "speaking" in the first sentence. And FYI the names ARE an issue. I can guarantee you'd have no idea how to pronounce the names from my homecountry. Even if the letters are the same, they can still be pronounced differently.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    MissTeteMissTete Posts: 22 Member
    I don't think the game would be the same without the Simlish. I do enjoy written text and voice-overs for Machinima, but for game play, keep it Simlish.
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    I personally prefer them speaking simlish. I hate the shirt and jumper with English on it, feels like some made quick cc with real world t-shirt art instead of making an asset. I also think the songs sound lovely in simlish
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    Having them speak English/your native language would become so repetitive so quickly. I hate that idea. I work with animals and I suppose the sims are somewhat animalistic in that they have vocalisations in context and communicate like birds or dogs, animals that are also easily understood and communicated with without their vocalisations becoming irritating.

I think it’s a great balance as it is, of them using Simlish so that we follow the gist of what they’re saying, without having to hear the same 20 sentences for eternity.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

Why I never said to remove Simlish, Simlish is a good background language that is comfortable in the game. They have also added picture language, example: sleepy Sims would show a bed, hungry Sims points to mouth. They added more picture language with our Pets. This also worked in caveman days. Keep the pictures, yes+, this could also be an area to add English.

Adding a friends name in conversation or romantic moments. To tell a toddler stop do not throw your food on the floor using the toddlers' name, or asking what they would like to eat. Like I said before the birthday cake question On your child's birthday You can just have a bubble overhead asking what type cake would they like, and in turn, the child could maybe say strawberry, so they get the pink cake.

All the while they are talking Simlish. all done in overhead printed bubbles overhead just like the pictures. To me, they would find a lot of cute ways to personalize the game this way.

A child could go to a parent and say Dad I do not feel well, then the father would give medicine. maybe adding that the child should go rest in bed.

All the while keeping Simlish as the language in the game.
    have these English bubbles (any language of the player) overhead while talking Simlish would personalize the game I feel.
    It's not a big issue to add this. Maybe the creators would even Enjoy adding these bubbles in our language.

I hope this makes what I am speaking about more understandable. Keeping Simlish adding personalization in English, in short, phrases or sentences in overhead bubbles done to personalize the game and bring it more to life for the players.

we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    Why I never said to remove Simlish, Simlish is a good background language that is comfortable in the game. They have also added picture language, example: sleepy Sims would show a bed, hungry Sims points to mouth. They added more picture language with our Pets. This also worked in caveman days. Keep the pictures, yes+, this could also be an area to add English.

Adding a friends name in conversation or romantic moments. To tell a toddler stop do not throw your food on the floor using the toddlers' name, or asking what they would like to eat. Like I said before the birthday cake question On your child's birthday You can just have a bubble overhead asking what type cake would they like, and in turn, the child could maybe say strawberry, so they get the pink cake.

All the while they are talking Simlish. all done in overhead printed bubbles overhead just like the pictures. To me, they would find a lot of cute ways to personalize the game this way.

A child could go to a parent and say Dad I do not feel well, then the father would give medicine. maybe adding that the child should go rest in bed.

All the while keeping Simlish as the language in the game.
    have these English bubbles (any language of the player) overhead while talking Simlish would personalize the game I feel.
    It's not a big issue to add this. Maybe the creators would even Enjoy adding these bubbles in our language.

I hope this makes what I am speaking about more understandable. Keeping Simlish adding personalization in English, in short, phrases or sentences in overhead bubbles done to personalize the game and bring it more to life for the players.

I see what you're saying - a translation rather than a thought bubble. I do find the thought bubbles a bit mystifying sometimes (and they're small, so even if they would make sense, it's hard to tell what they're supposed to be). The 'hunger' bubble looks like a monster, but it's actually a plate of food, and the bubbles seem to be somewhat random in comparison to previous Sims games. Nonetheless, I really prefer the thought bubbles to actual words.

Sometimes, I'm not sure what's happened - my Sims are talking, and suddenly, one of them has an embarrassed or angry moodlet, and I haven't a clue why. The memories feature in S3 was sometimes useful for this, but it did cause some lag as the memories filled up. I think that just needs better thought bubbles, however.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I voted to keep it the way it was since the beginning of the SIms series as it would be weird to hear them actually speak english. It is like hearing adults speak english or whatever language in the Charlie Brown series as an example.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I like the ambiguity of simlish - especially when building, say my sim owns a restaurant - there are a few signs that came with dine out right? Well, that signature sign? that's going to be the title of my sims restaurant - Laurie's, fine dining at its best, but say a couple generations down the road my Laurie's grandson Mike owns a bakery, that same sign I used for Laurie's now means mikes bakery, if we put some signs in English then it loses the flexibility of meaning anything we want it to mean. I really like having that creativity at my fingertips.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I feel like names are out of the question, if I name my Sim John, how does the game know if it's pronounced jon or yon . That would depend on my pronunciation of it, where I live, the culture Etc. Some places would pronounce it either.

And when Sims wave at each other etcetera oh, how does the game know if I would have wanted these two sims to greet each other with a hey! Or more formal hello, it's a pleasure to see you. I think adding any English to the game which just destroy the creativity.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Nobody is going to vote for English speaking sims. It's well known that fans prefer simlish. There has never been a debate otherwise.
  • Options
    papertonguepapertongue Posts: 130 Member
    edited May 2019
    The Sims looks so bizarre when in-game objects have English on them. I actually got a mod to change that one shirt into Simlish because it bugged me so much!
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    I think Simlish suits the game better. Hearing them talk in my native language would be weird and probably annoying tbh
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    godzilla166godzilla166 Posts: 68 Member
    For me, the Simlish really gives the games immersion, plus it's sometimes fun imagining what your sims are saying haha. I even like the Simlish music and would convert my custom music if possible!
  • Options
    Babygirl2328PBabygirl2328P Posts: 20 Member
    I like my sims speaking simlish. There are times when they say something and it sounds like English and it's really funny to me because their thought bubble never matches.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2019
    I like being able to interpret what I think they're saying and doing. I voted that to keep it Simlish. To have them speak in English (or any other real language) would take the fun out of it.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    None of the poll options really seemed to capture my feeling about Simlish. I love it and think it's fun. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Topher8907Topher8907 Posts: 10 New Member
    Yeah I think that the game should always be in similar and never in any particular language. This makes it inclusive for everyone no matter where they live.
  • Options
    coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited May 2019
    I've played TS4 for so many hours (thousands) that I know which phrase (the sounds, not really understanding the words) they'll say if they're making a joke for example. Simlish has gotten repetitive for me because of the number of hours I've played. So, I'd like to be able to understand what my characters are saying --- although, I do know some key Simlish phrases. I love this game, anyway --- playing it and building in it B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

• Options
    NurseKneesNurseKnees Posts: 19 Member
    I like not knowing what they are saying and then guessing from the thought bubbles. If they spoke English or anything else it would be too weird and I’d probably play with the sound off.
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'm just not sure how it would work. Sure simlish gets repetitive but I think real language would be more so. Especially since you can't adjust it to suit your own story.

For me getting rid of simlish or even adding real language would distract me from the visual enjoyment I get from social animations and interactions. I would much rather have resources spent on quality fleshed out interactions. I'm not even sure how you could have a mix without it feeling disjointed and unnatural. It would feel like a outgoing voicemail message; the ones that have the prerecorded "please leave a message for XX... and your voice stating your name tacked on to the end".

Simlish (and the picture thought bubbles) fits perfectly with the sandbox aspects of the game which is it's greatest appeal for me. When I was younger I'd create more internal dialog to go with my game but now I just take everything in as a whole... just enjoy the general vibe/mood of what's going on. But either way simlish helps provide a basis for that. Also, I like to watch Let's Plays and the Youtubers commentary and dialog are a big part of that for me so I think real language would interfere with that.

I prefer to personalize my game myself rather than have the game attempt to do it satisfactorily. I feel it would be an epic failure simply because the game does not know me. It might even take a part of the game away for me.
    Post edited by N0NoTToN0N on
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr