Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy Simlish in your game?

Would you enjoy English speaking Sims Maybe step it up to Sims speaking English 50% of the time? Signs in English, Like Bakery, Restaurant, Coffee House, Mall?
we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor

Do you enjoy Simlish in your game? 214 votes

No, I rather keep Simlish I like not knowing what my Sims are saying.
35% 75 votes
I have been playing Sims for years and I still can not say a full sentence in Simlish.
2% 6 votes
I can understand our pets better then I can understand the Sims.
0% 2 votes
I think Simlish is played out
0% 1 vote
Simlish is just part of the Game so I want to keep it.
44% 96 votes
I feel Our Sims 4 would be a lot more fun if it was in my language
2% 5 votes
Maybe more English in Sims 5, To Expensive to change to English in Sims 4.
0% 2 votes
If they removed Simlish from the game I would not play it.
11% 24 votes
I want to talk to my Sims typing using their names like good morning little Bobby.
0% 2 votes
Please no more pop up boxes, How many time do I have to say do not eat dirt.
0% 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    simslover1145simslover1145 Posts: 304 Member
    I feel like hearing sims speaking English would just be weird? And sentences would probably become too repetitive as there could only be so many recorderd as opposed to now when we hear them speaking gibberish so it always sounds different. I also prefer inscriptions/signs in simlish, but don't mind pop-ups being in English because that makes sense.
    Starry-Night-Over-The-Rhone.jpg?ts=1459229076
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I like simlish and from the facial expressions, context and thought bubbles it is usually pretty clear what is being said even if not the exact words. I feel English (or whatever language you play in) breaks the immersion in the sims environment. I think @Simpkin makes some very good points about expense and translations.
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    When Will Wright got the idea for The Sims he created a gibberish language for Sims to speak, because hearing Sims speak English would have been weird. It would have also been very expensive to translate the speech into other languages too and create multiple different sentences for Sims to speak. The sentences would start to be very repetitive quickly too.

If they decided to make Sims speak English and use English text on eg restaurant signs I would stop playing. Removing Simlish would be like blasphemy to me.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I agree that aside from the expense of having to record Sims speaking in dozens of languages, there'd be a limited number of responses. After a while, they'd drive you mad. (I mean, your Sims are talking about the weather - would you rather hear some gibberish with thought bubbles that give you a clue to the topic, or -I like hot weather -Me too over and over?)

I prefer to have things written on objects and clothing in Simlish, but I don't get too ruffled if a branding name is used. I can just imagine that it's an import from another world, or something. (Actually, I don't even give it that much thought. The Moschino sweatshirt is kind of cute and suited my teen Sim, and it's something new, so I used it.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited May 2019
    The idea of Sims regularly speaking languages other than Simlish makes my eyes roll. It's like swearing in a church.

But of course, there are exceptions if justified by context, such as the Strangerville Investigation trailer, for example.
    Post edited by MMX on
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    Simlish forever. It is game! No Real life! Simlish is So great! English, or in my situation Czech, Will be weird! I Dont buy Sims5 if simlish do not existuje in this game!
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    There was a specific reason the game has done the made up Simlish language from day 1. Besides cost, the repetitive nature of phrases in anyone's native language would make the game boring. With Simlish and the sims' facial expressions, you can imagine they are saying really anything. I even prefer simlish written instead as a way to be immersive in game on items and clothing. As for the pop up boxes, those are different and are an attempt to help give chance card like choices.
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    It's part of the game. Been there since the beginning. I don't think that should or needs to be changed.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Absolutely not. I like imagining what my sims are saying based on the action they’re doing and their speech bubbles.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The Simlish is what makes the game unique. They live in their own world(s), so they have their own language. Besides, development would take much longer if they had to record dialogue for every language that the game is available in. Seeing real world languages in the game from CC clothes and designer brands, just looks weird and out of place to me.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    If English were to be incorporated, so would every other language. This not only would be very time-consuming, but probably also extremely expensive.
    Also, it would just be completely out of the ordinary of what The Sims is. Simlish is their language, not English or any others. It makes sense for it to be “gibberish”; can you imagine listening to your Sims saying the same phrases over and over again? It would get repetitive and grow old very fast. At least for me it would.

I enjoy Simlish and personally think it should stay the way it is. Never will I ever have the desire to hear real-life languages in the game. Simlish fits with the Sim life and the Sim world.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited April 2019
    No English. The Simlish is what makes the game unique. This isn't real life, we don't need English in the games. I don't even like seeing English lettering in them because it ruins the immersion for me.

Edit: And not to mention, it would take FOREVER to have to translate the game into, what, over 100 different languages for the worldwide audience?
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Do you know how annoying it would get if I had to hear sentences repeat over and over again. My sim asking the same person they are talking to, "What color do you like?" eight times?

At least with Simlish, I can imagine in my head that she's asking and/or saying anything I want it to be. If it was English, my imagination is out the window, cause I am actually hearing the words.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I want to make up the dialogs of my stories in my head, not have the game do it for me. I like to play with sound on because the background sounds help with immersion, and simlish allows me to decide in my own imagination what my Sims are saying in any given scene. It also is what makes the game international. I cannot imagine how expensive it would be for them to have to have the game voice acted in as many languages as the game is played in.
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    If I knew what my sims were exactly talking about, I couldn't pretend, the stories in my mind would be killed. So I wanna keep it, I don't want english in my game.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    I think that it makes it more playable and free to not know what they're saying. You can make up what they're saying yourself, and it would get boring if their conversations were the same all the time. Having simlish gives a creative freedom to the player.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I want to talk to my Sims typing using their names like good morning little Bobby.
    What?

Anyway I don’t really mind some in-game text being in English because it could be imported or something.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It would be weird to hear them speak anything else.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    OP would you want English speech in your sims game? :*

Don't mind seeing the occasional English on shirts, decor, but sims actually talking English in game at this point would list be odd. In trailers for promotions is fine but it would make most story telling useless as well as speech bubbles.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I like simslish for several reasons:

- it makes the sims feel more international, my sims talk the same as sims all over the globe
    - I can imagine what they are speaking about. They are discussing what I imagine they are discussing. Fixed dialogues would ruin this effect.
    - Making a pack would take longer and the pack could become more expensive. All the dialogue has to be written and recorded in multiple languagues.
    - I would never get it the same language as spoken in my country. All my sims would end up as foreigners from a neighboring country. It's the same language officially but the pronunciation and dialect is different, you could compare it to the difference between UK and US english and being stuck with the language version that is not yours. I already have this situation with every GPS I ever used in real life, I don't need it with the sims. One of the reasons why I can't be bothered to try out the new tutorial.
    - The strangerville trailer: the moment the sim in this trailer started speaking English, the trailer was ruined. This didn't feel like a sim anymore, but just a random 3D-animation.
    - nostalgia: after all these years simslish grew on me, even if I can't understand a word, I like the sound of it.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Simlish is institutional at this point. It should simply be there.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Def simlish. For one, not all the players speak English as the worldwide game and secondly and more importantly to me because I do speak English, I don't want to know what they're saying. I'd like to make up stories and stuff with my Sims and I'm sure whatever they are saying would not match. It would kind of ruin the control part of the game.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I enjoy the sound of the Simlish. I like trying to understand what they're saying and other times, I make up the dialogue in my head. Specifically when one Sim needs to say something important to another. If a friend or parent calls to invite my Sim (who happens to be in labor) out, I think in my head, "Sorry (So and So) I can't go out now, I'm kinda busy."

"Hey, Honey, how was your day? I lost my job."
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I prefer Simlish over any human language. If they were saying stuff that I understood, there would no longer be room for our fantasy. With Simlish we can make up the weaning of their wording, we might not be sure but together with their setting, expressions, and talking bubbles if visual, we can make our story. I'd hate it if EA should play my story for me, then I'd just do something else than playing sims.

Btw, when I make videos (machinima), I prefer letting them speak Simlish with subtitles, rather than voice over, guess that says it all, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg