Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nectar yes or no? Did you persevere?

How many of you, once you discovered that growing perfect fruit and having a level 10 skill in nectar making didn't mean your sim could actually make decent nectar, bothered to persevere?

Kudos to all the very helpful people who researched and recorded the best recipes to produce good nectar - but really? So much effort? Keep werewolves, teach them to hunt, sit back and get rich. No effort involved if all you want is lots of simoleans.

There are a number of careers and wishes I've avoided because they were too much effort and I was too lazy or plain stupid to bother. Nectar making is now one of them. If you have to use other people's work to succeed it just doesn't feel the same as doing it by your own efforts. I still have a huge cellar full of wine as a result of industrious tomb raiding with my weres.

Comments

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I've done the nectar making, the painting, the sculpting and the inventing. After a while I just got bored.

I did find, for myself, the more nectar you made the better your result was but some results were hilarious, depending on which fruits you combined.
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I've never made nectar. I'll have to try it sometime.
  • Options
    Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    edited March 2019
    I keep saying I'm going to make nectar but then I never get around to doing it. I really would like to make one on this list. The one that gives all the moodlets in one bottle. But that's because it gives moodlets, not because I want to make money. Every sim of mine makes money the same way. Obtain valuable ores and gems, then buy real estate.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I've had a sim make nectar and get all the skill challenges. One thing I discovered in the process is that when your sim checks the recipe, whatever result comes back doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the nectar. She would get the answer that it wasn't a good combination, but the resulting nectar was still high quality. In general, the less common the produce you use is, the higher quality and price the nectar will be. The best nectar is all flame fruit. And if you keep the nectar in the expensive nectar racks long enough, it will all eventually be perfect quality.
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Kudos to all the very helpful people who researched and recorded the best recipes to produce good nectar - but really? So much effort? Keep werewolves, teach them to hunt, sit back and get rich. No effort involved if all you want is lots of simoleans.

There are a number of careers and wishes I've avoided because they were too much effort and I was too lazy or plain stupid to bother. Nectar making is now one of them. If you have to use other people's work to succeed it just doesn't feel the same as doing it by your own efforts. I still have a huge cellar full of wine as a result of industrious tomb raiding with my weres.

I've played with making nectar and enjoyed it. I didn't use other people's work in order to succeed at all - I let my nectar-making sim try out different fruit combinations, and when a good recipe turned out to be good, I would repeat it. My sim's skill level did help with the quality of the nectar, as did the sort and quality of the fruit, having a handy sim upgrade the machines, and having a cellar with the expensive nectar shelves. I had fun with all this precisely because it was so complex, with so many factors involved. But in that save I wasn't looking for a fast way to make money - I agree there are better ways to do that!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Perhaps this mod helps, for those so inclined?
    http://modthesims.info/d/415474/nectar-combinatorics.html
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    My sims often make nectar but only because I think the animations are fun. I am a lazy player so I can't see myself trying to find good combinations on my own when there are literally hundreds of amazing recipes, including those using fruits from new EPs, worlds and Store sets, out there.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2019
    How many of you, once you discovered that growing perfect fruit and having a level 10 skill in nectar making didn't mean your sim could actually make decent nectar, bothered to persevere?

I didn't find that to be true in my game. With some nectar recipes I researched online my sims make valuable nectar. I try to store it as long as possible, but sometimes I just consign right away. The last household who invested in nectar making consigned their entire cellar for ~1.4 million simoleons. The nectar was perfect quality when it was first bottled, and started around ~300-400 simoleons a bottle. I don't remember how much it was when I sold it, but over 1000 for sure. IIRC even poor quality nectar will eventually age to perfect quality given enough time, or at least that was my impression. Still, if you are trying to make money it's best to focus on amazing quality recipes.
  • Options
    Since all nectar does eventually become perfect quality I only focus on amazing recipes. On occasion, when my sims don't have the right ingredients, I will settle for a great recipe but that doesn't happen often since all my sims garden.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    But where does all this money that the buyers have come from? The sims world economic conditions are such that...okay, never mind I'm not going down that road again here.

But my real follow-up question is, given all of the above, do any of your sims actually drink the stuff? o:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor It's very rare that I take out a bottle for my sims to drink. I often have sims with the mixology skill and trays of drinks are consumed on a daily basis. I am glad they don't take nectar from the racks autonomously because they already drink too much :D
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited March 2019
    igazor wrote: »
    But where does all this money that the buyers have come from? The sims world economic conditions are such that...okay, never mind I'm not going down that road again here.

But my real follow-up question is, given all of the above, do any of your sims actually drink the stuff? o:)

No, but if they're working on the photography skill, they take pictures for one of the collections.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Huh, well I guess a part of me has always been curious as to what §1.4 million worth of nectar actually tastes like. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I haven't had any nectar worth §1.4 million, although I have had bottles worth several thousand § after playing many generations, but it must taste good because they never stop at one glass :D
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Huh, well I guess a part of me has always been curious as to what §1.4 million worth of nectar actually tastes like. :p

Well, that was hundreds of bottles of nectar. I was purging items due to Error Code 12 popping up in that game (selling the nectar didn't help with that, unfortunately).

I do occasionally have my sims drink nectar for the moodlets. But unfortunately the maids clean up the glasses before I've had 4 sims drink the glasses. So, it's either drinking nectar or maids, but not both. Sometimes I choose one or the other; just depends on the game and how much I want to remember to have my sims drink regularly.
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited March 2019
    I had about 500 bottles of nectars in the basement last year. Since that time, I got 10 mins of loading time every time I started my saved game. Eventually, I just sold almost of the bottles and over 100 French grapes to the consignment store and left about 15-20 bottles at home lot, then my game loaded in 2 mins after that. I don't make nectars any more.. The highest quality was the plasma fruit nectar for me which cost bout 4.500 simoleons per 1 bottle.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    "Hi honey, glad you're finally back home. So where's the money from the nectar inventory sale?"

"Wellsh, a funny thing happened on the way to the Conshinement Shtore..." (hiccups)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    My sims only ever make nektar as a hobby. I never had the patience to try out all the recipes and stuff. The nectar is usually pretty good, because my sims garden a lot and have perfect fruits as well as life fruit and flame fruit. But actually nobody ever drinks it, because I usually stuff it in a chest and forget about it. Have to get it out sometime.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    One of my favorite and most relaxing games ever was playing as a farmer and nectar maker in Monte Vista. I had a ton of fun just throwing stuff together and coming up with joke names for some of my weirder creations. I made it less for money making (although I did make plenty of money) and more for experimentation.

Also this thread was super helpful.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I always avoid nectar making and keep telling myself I need to do it next game. Then one day I had a sim who had the appropriate lifetime wish and I got hooked. I am not good at keep track of the nectar mixtures I made but she had some funny ideas and it turned out to be a fun and relaxing way to achieve a lifetime wish. And it happened so quickly I felt as if I wanted it take a while longer for her to achieve her goal. I don't think I sold the nectar I can't remember now. She was filling the basement with stacks of it. I think I wanted to use it as decor for a wine cellar look. That didn't work so well but she got her LTW. I'd like to do it again one day - probably as part of one of my videos.
  • Options
    AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    I'm actually playing a Nectarian now in the family I'm playing and storing anything above great lol. I use a combination of recipes others have posted and my own (there aren't that many recipes with the bohemian fruits and nuts out there online.) I love coming up with the different combos and names. I'm using the bottles on my resort lots, at the bars and actually serving a bottle and leaving a bottle in the luxury suites. As far as drinking? I'm thinking that like reading books influences a writer's success, drinking nectar might produce better nectar, and even if it doesn't I like thinking that it does so my nectar maker tends to drink her own (authors can read their own books and it counts) as well as the random mixes that end up at the consignment store. When she has enough of her own she's going to open up a nectary with a upscale restaurant and a wedding venue ala Martha's Vineyards style and, using savier seller, stock bottles to sell from inventory.