Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some EA lots are so empty indoors in Strangerville

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    I think they want to prevent lag with the mostly empty lots. The more packs get added, the harder to keep up for lower end computers.

Only one lot is loaded simultaneously, so that excuse doesn't make sense.
    It also doesn't make sense that they would want so desperately to cater to the lowest end computers because requirements were already increased with Cats and Dogs. They clearly have no problem increasing requirements if needed.
    So if they are able to tease us with red herrings, they could have done more with the lot, but just didn't want it. Or they are just cheapskates (Why pay an employee to furnish a lot if the same employee can work on a mobile app...).

Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2019
    Naus wrote: »
    I think they want to prevent lag with the mostly empty lots. The more packs get added, the harder to keep up for lower end computers.

Only one lot is loaded simultaneously, so that excuse doesn't make sense.

It actually does happen. Less furniture in a lot will give you better performance.

With that said, though, the game has taken so many cuts here and there to "ensure smoothness on lower-end devices," yet I've had more bugs in this game than I have in The Sims 3, and that says a lot. The world was returned to a closed setup and we lost all of our creative tools for the series' worst simulation lag and a massive list of nuisances.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Maybe it's because people keep whining about how they build things. I'd give up too if I was constantly put down by this community and told that the players are ~sooooo~ much better than I am.
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    It actually does happen. Less furniture in a lot will give you better performance.

For what I've seen/experienced Simulation Lag happens regardless of the number of objects you have on a lot. I experienced serious simulation lag in a fairly small and empty lot, but I've also played in mansions with lots of objects without much simulation lag. I noticed that the less I use ultra speed, the less likely simulation lag is to start happening. There's something weird going on with the engine. It started when City Living was released and it never got fixed. The Simulation Lag fix mode isn't doing much for me at the moment.

You can only place so many objects before the game starts breaking down (watch The Sim Supply's "fan" videos or even the hotel he built in The Sims 4). In that sense, TS4 is even worse than TS3. The Sims 3 was capable of handling a full town with millions of objects (rendered with low level of detail when the camera wasn't close) AND most objects had their own Create-A-Style dynamically generated texture. Yes there were performance issues, especially for low end systems, but the game was doing 100 times more work than The Sims 4.

So they got rid of the open world, Create-a-Style, story progression and many other features and they still have to barely furnish a house for performance reasons? I'm not buying. If that's true, then we're dealing with one of the worst engines in recent history.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2019

So they got rid of the open world, Create-a-Style, story progression and many other features and they still have to barely furnish a house for performance reasons? I'm not buying. If that's true, then we're dealing with one of the worst engines in recent history.

I agree.
    Post edited by marcel21 on
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    As for lag, I found that after Get Famous my computer has a harder time. Not sure why this pack strains my computer more than any other...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2019

For what I've seen/experienced Simulation Lag happens regardless of the number of objects you have on a lot. I experienced serious simulation lag in a fairly small and empty lot, but I've also played in mansions with lots of objects without much simulation lag. I noticed that the less I use ultra speed, the less likely simulation lag is to start happening. There's something weird going on with the engine. It started when City Living was released and it never got fixed. The Simulation Lag fix mode isn't doing much for me at the moment.

You can only place so many objects before the game starts breaking down (watch The Sim Supply's "fan" videos or even the hotel he built in The Sims 4). In that sense, TS4 is even worse than TS3. The Sims 3 was capable of handling a full town with millions of objects (rendered with low level of detail when the camera wasn't close) AND most objects had their own Create-A-Style dynamically generated texture. Yes there were performance issues, especially for low end systems, but the game was doing 100 times more work than The Sims 4.

Simulation lag, unfortunately, also has a lot to do with your CPU. On my desktop it basically never happens, on my laptop with the laptop equivalent of the same i7 (7th gen) it does very, very rarely (and only in San Myshuno). I experienced it on my desktop as well when running an older CPU two years ago, even though it was actually quite a good one still. So I'm thinking (even though I'm not 100% sure and it probably isn't the sole determining factor) that simulation lag is very often related to the processor not managing to keep up for some reason. Even if it isn't necessarily a bad CPU, but this game just knows how to max out its power.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Simulation lag, unfortunately, also has a lot to do with your CPU. On my desktop it basically never happens, on my laptop with the laptop equivalent of the same i7 (7th gen) it does very, very rarely (and only in San Myshuno). I experienced it on my desktop as well when running an older CPU two years ago, even though it was actually quite a good one still. So I'm thinking (even though I'm not 100% sure and it probably isn't the sole determining factor) that simulation lag is very often related to the processor not managing to keep up for some reason. Even if it isn't necessarily a bad CPU, but this game just knows how to max out its power.

I've an i5-4690K 3.5. I can play all modern games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider with no performance issues whatsoever.
    My niece has an i5-7500 3.4 Ghz, which is newer but slower than mine, and she also has Simulation Lag, especially on Ultra Speed.

It could be a situation similar to what happens with The Sims 3, in which a faster CPU doesn't necesarily mean better performance (because Sims 3 relies heavily on hard drive speed). I wish I knew why The Sims 4 requires so much CPU power, considering is a closed world game, with only up to 20 Sims per lot (by default).
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @Naus okay so I looked this up out of curiosity and from what I can tell the main difference between the i7-7700HQ - which is weaker than the CPUs you mention, in theory anyway - is that it outperforms both at multicore speeds. Also, both the i7-7700k in my desktop (being the fastest of the four in nearly all respects) and the i7 laptop CPU have 8 threads instead of only four. I would therefore presume that a hugely defining factor as to how well CPUs can handle this game is how many threads they have and how good their multicore speeds are, as that is largely what sets them apart from the ones you've mentioned, so that could explain why I still suffer less from simulation lag with my theoretically weaker i7HQ?
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I was surprised at the two beds in the artist household, but I like the fact that the guy wants to be everyone's friend (hint at sharing bedrooms... Maybe?) And Leslie doesn't need to sleep because of a certain trait, so...

Repoman in the Roswell house? Cooool. I hate too perfect houses. I'm always looking for hints of personality in homes...
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I was surprised at this, but my Sim was moving with a ton of junk from his old house. So it didn't bother me too much. If I'd been moving in with a brand new family with no inventory, I'd be pretty annoyed. I play mostly for making up stories, so I've used pre-made houses a lot before.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.