Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else going crazy with roofs?

You can probably tell what I'm trying (and failing) to do here, but...

roof7mdbo.jpg

This is a science in itself. Even after two years of playing with all the options the game offers, I can never get a decent-looking roof on top of my houses. Unless the area that requires a roof is a perfect square, whether or not my ideas are going to work is completely hit or miss.

Is there an option (or a mod) for automatic roofing like in TS1 that I somehow haven't discovered yet? Because that would be a godsend!

Comments

• Options
    KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member
    Can you not just use one roof?
    Or pulling the bigger roof back (making it longer) should connect them.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited October 2018
    I can't, because those roofs are on two different floors. And it's not the length that is the problem, it's the height.
    I've decided to go with this for the time being:

roof2q7eye.jpg

Now this wannabe comfy old-fashioned home looks even more like a factory than it did before, but... oh well. :/
  • Options
    KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member
    Is the house on the gallery? Your roof issue seems like a fun puzzle to try solve.
  • Options
    Voldarian_EmpireVoldarian_Empire Posts: 134 Member
    O...M...G...I feel your pain...I spend sometimes a couple hours toiling away trying to solve this exact (as well as a few other) roofing problems...drives me crazy

Sadly i know of no way to help fix this or I'd gladly share
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I wish you could pull roofs to half a square, but you can't.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    story of my life.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Keffers wrote: »
    Is the house on the gallery? Your roof issue seems like a fun puzzle to try solve.

Nope, I'm only just building it, and I'll have to wait for the terrain tools patch to finish it. (There's supposed to be a cave behind a waterfall originating from a lake on higher ground behind the house.) But oh well, I guess I can live with what it looks like now, and recreating the problem shouldn't be too difficult, I keep running into it with my builds... :/
    O...M...G...I feel your pain...I spend sometimes a couple hours toiling away trying to solve this exact (as well as a few other) roofing problems...drives me crazy

Sadly i know of no way to help fix this or I'd gladly share

Remember back in the good old TS1 days where your only concern was that the house looked pretty on the inside? :D Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that we can now create our own roofs in a variety of ways, I just wish we still had automatic roofing as an option. Because it's not only the roofs I completely suck at, it's the entire exterior, including gardens, those always take me forever, and in the end, half of it is a waste of time anyway because you rarely actually see the exterior facade and the roof while playing.
  • Options
    BabewireBabewire Posts: 9 New Member
    The roofing always will be a challenge :D Most of the time they dont wanna do what i got in mind hehe
  • Options
    hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    that roof especially makes my soul enraged lol
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Yeah, I tried to build a house with a fancy roof, but because of the way it was against a wall the walls inside couldn’t be painted. Also octagons are really annoying to use since they’re either a little off or the trim is broken up.
  • Options
    BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    If you hold alt you can change the roof pitch in very small increments. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2018
    It's a bit tricky to do, but it is possible. I connected a first floor roof with a second floor roof for my last Build-N-Share challenge entry on my old laptop with this house:

Gqnt9fO.png

OYwVe3J.png

GRGrptH.png

lyAw2bf.png

As @BridgetKV mentioned, the alt key is your friend. The shift key is also useful since it allows you to extend or retract just one side of the roof. I don't remember exactly how I managed to do it in this build, I'd have to load up the save file and take a look. It's on the gallery too if you want to download it here to take a look yourself.

But, I'm positive though it had to involve using the shift key to extend the first floor roof on the top as far as it would go, then use shift again to extend the second floor roof piece on just the one side to meet up with it.

I then most likely used the alt key to tweak them together. I probably had to adjust the height on each roof as well. It can take a lot of fiddling around and frustration, but it is possible to do and very rewarding once everything finally melds together. I'm surprised I have any hair left to be honest. lol Rooves can be quite the puzzle to figure out sometimes. Especially on more complicated builds. I sometimes take more time with the roof then anything else when building. Anyway, I hope this helps as well!

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    edited October 2018
    Roofing regularly drives me nuts. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to give up partway through a build because the roofing is impossible! The biggest culprit is fences not being able to close a room properly so the roof clips in, thankfully the separate eaves adjustments help. My pet hate is building in a roof space. I have to use the half gable bits down the bottom and a normal gale on the next level. I like to play walls up, so if the roof is all the same level it gets in the way with the walls up.
  • Options
    EmCross96EmCross96 Posts: 35 Member
    I have the hardest time with roofing. They always come out looking super odd and weird. I tried to experiment earlier and was told it looked like a Victorian, ranch and Colonel mated and that was the outcome.