Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Banana Drama - A Reading Circle

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Firande wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I just wanted to say that I put up two new chapters of Remi's Pariah:

16. Love Of My Life / https://donaeis.home.blog/2019/05/09/16-love-of-my-life/
    B8JUu6Ms.pngpYK9lkvs.png9rRBayxs.png
    17. Lavender's Blue, Lavender's Green / https://donaeis.home.blog/2019/05/10/17-lavenders-blue-lavenders-green/
    9KWUf9ns.pngEtxxi8Gs.pngSMgBIcSs.png

Yayyy
  • Options
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    Hi everyone, here's the next chapter of Friends of Foes.

Chapter sixty four: Sweaty Shivers
    sweaty-shivers-1_orig.png

Wooo, I'm getting closer and closer to catching up. <3

---

Here's also my two chapters for the week:

18. Fiery Gems For You
    https://donaeis.home.blog/2019/05/14/18-fiery-gems-for-you/
    kmfKuqFs.pnglAbLyO5s.pngpbkxLshs.png

19. Rivers
    https://donaeis.home.blog/2019/05/19/19-rivers/
    03mXtjBs.pngdSrz5vRs.png0zaTFDRs.png
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Hello everyone, sorry I've been a bit MIA here. I've been pulled into other interests and I'm busy with work. Now the holiday weekend is here, so I hope to do some more reading.

Also, I wanted to add I've got 2 LASL chapters this week (and a few more coming). A few of this circle's members have submitted Simselves for the story so I thought I'd mention here.

10-11-18_9-35-47-pm.png?w=740&h=416
    This little cutie conked out on the floor after a day of...
    ...Episode 3.9 Triplet Trials

10-11-18_9-15-09-pm.png?w=740&h=416
    @simscognito, 2 of your adopted kiddos are featured, Hamilton and Oliver.
    Episode 3.10, Run, Parker, Run

I know it's not my "featured" story in this circle, but I thought I'd drop a notice here. :) Hope that's okay.

I've continued to update KCLKF, my featured story, also. You can catch up on the latest chapters here.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    @simscognito yesss! Can't wait to catch up with yours. :blush:

Hey everyone, I'm sorry for my absence.... life been kicking me in the plum, hahahaha. But the good news is, as of tomorrow, I SHOULD be finally done with my thesis and have 4 months of freedom to get started with all of your stories!

I only managed to publish one chapter for the last week, the link of which is here: https://donaeis.home.blog/2019/05/26/20-its-not-over/

I really can't wait to read and catch up with all of you guys' stories!! I promise that as of tomorrow, I will get started with that again. :blush:
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Hi everyone, next week we're going to spotlight @CathyTea's story, Spectrum.

Thank you @Bugsie2016 and @Firande for letting us spotlight your stories. I really enjoyed reading about your thought processes behind creating some of my favourite simLits. <3

Very excited to jump into Spectrum. It's a very thought provoking and insightful simLit.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    What do you guys think about Remi? In the whole hero/anti-hero/anti-villain/villain or the lawful/chaotic good/evil/neutral (depending on which of the two you guys prefer), where would you place Remi and why?
    I actually find Remi a sympathetic character. He has his flaws but the way you have written him makes us understand where he's coming from and actually get to like him. In terms of hero/anti hero/anti-villain/villain I'd say he's an anti-hero because he is likeable but lacks heroic values.

I'm late, I'm late! I've been terrifically absent. It's.... well, it's due to my special interest! Do you ever get like this, where you have one interest that seeps in and takes up every space of your brain that isn't being used for managing daily life?

I think I have always been like this (something that will become relevant as we talk about Spectrum, I'm sure! XD ) . For me, having an interest like this is actually crucial for my ability to handle daily life and all the demands of keeping a household, a home, and a career together. I just seem to need to have some interest that I can focus on so I don't become too bored to do the executive functioning things of living! LOL! For about four years, Sims4 and my SimLit filled that niche. Now, it's ESO. During my time when I'm not working and doing chores or playing cello, it's pretty much what I want to do!

Anyway...

Remi! I am very fond of him.

I can really imagine Remi as being a character in Friends of Foes, which is why I thought that Fig and Cog would enjoy each other's writing!

There's this endearingness that Alex and Remi both share--they're both very sweet. And they both commit horrible deeds sometimes! LOL! The moral ambiguity is what I love about both of these series.

I think that "chaotic good" is a great way to describe both. Personally, I am "neutral good," and my main ESO character, Cat Littlebird, is "lawful good." But there's something about chaotic good that really appeals to me!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    What do you guys think about Remi? In the whole hero/anti-hero/anti-villain/villain or the lawful/chaotic good/evil/neutral (depending on which of the two you guys prefer), where would you place Remi and why?
    I actually find Remi a sympathetic character. He has his flaws but the way you have written him makes us understand where he's coming from and actually get to like him. In terms of hero/anti hero/anti-villain/villain I'd say he's an anti-hero because he is likeable but lacks heroic values.

I'm late, I'm late! I've been terrifically absent. It's.... well, it's due to my special interest! Do you ever get like this, where you have one interest that seeps in and takes up every space of your brain that isn't being used for managing daily life?

I think I have always been like this (something that will become relevant as we talk about Spectrum, I'm sure! XD ) . For me, having an interest like this is actually crucial for my ability to handle daily life and all the demands of keeping a household, a home, and a career together. I just seem to need to have some interest that I can focus on so I don't become too bored to do the executive functioning things of living! LOL! For about four years, Sims4 and my SimLit filled that niche. Now, it's ESO. During my time when I'm not working and doing chores or playing cello, it's pretty much what I want to do!

Anyway...

Remi! I am very fond of him.

I can really imagine Remi as being a character in Friends of Foes, which is why I thought that Fig and Cog would enjoy each other's writing!

There's this endearingness that Alex and Remi both share--they're both very sweet. And they both commit horrible deeds sometimes! LOL! The moral ambiguity is what I love about both of these series.

I think that "chaotic good" is a great way to describe both. Personally, I am "neutral good," and my main ESO character, Cat Littlebird, is "lawful good." But there's something about chaotic good that really appeals to me!

when your a girl its called fasionablly ate and considered accceptable. :)
  • Options

Thank you @Bugsie2016 and @Firande for letting us spotlight your stories. I really enjoyed reading about your thought processes behind creating some of my favourite simLits. <3

Very excited to jump into Spectrum. It's a very thought provoking and insightful simLit.

I've been thinking about @Bugsie2016 's responses to my questions about thought processes ever since she posted them about... what, six weeks ago? I'm fascinated by what she wrote. I think that as we talk about Spectrum, we might touch back upon this conversation. (Well, I guess it's not a conversation yet, if I've been keeping all of my thoughts to myself... but in my mind, we've been conversing about it!)

Spectrum is a work of non-fiction. It's really just a series of essays as I consider that I might be autistic and what this means for my understanding of myself through time, from childhood to now. I'll be 60 years in July, so that's a long life to reflect on! :open_mouth:

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

I've been thinking about @Bugsie2016 's responses to my questions about thought processes ever since she posted them about... what, six weeks ago? I'm fascinated by what she wrote. I think that as we talk about Spectrum, we might touch back upon this conversation. (Well, I guess it's not a conversation yet, if I've been keeping all of my thoughts to myself... but in my mind, we've been conversing about it!)

Spectrum is a work of non-fiction. It's really just a series of essays as I consider that I might be autistic and what this means for my understanding of myself through time, from childhood to now. I'll be 60 years in July, so that's a long life to reflect on! :open_mouth:

first question when did you start a new story? (i didn't know about this one so i have to read it)
  • Options

first question when did you start a new story? (i didn't know about this one so i have to read it)

HI, hi! This one isn't new. I started it in November and have been writing one or two posts per month (I think... I might have taken a few months off.)

• Options
    Yeah... I took a five month break! LOL! But I was thinking about it during the break! That counts!

• Options

HI, hi! This one isn't new. I started it in November and have been writing one or two posts per month (I think... I might have taken a few months off.)

its new to me :)
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I've been absent too. I'm trying to strike a good work-life pendulum. It's been an emotionally chaotic, physically painful, mentally draining and spiritually exhausting year. I'm also fighting a head cold. I've had a hard year. But I'm celebrating the fact that I'm still here, alive, breathing. One day at a time.

Congratulations on the conclusion of your thesis, @Firande. How exciting!

I do miss summer vacations. It seems like a natural rhythm of life to experience summer breaks, but I'm heading into a busy season at work (so I'm trying to plan for relaxing weekends). This upcoming weekend I'm attending a jazz festival. Jazz. Picnic blanket in the grass. Sunshine. Mountain air. Should be peaceful.

@simscognito thanks for letting us (namely me) know where to pick up. It seems like a natural time in my life we'll be reading Spectrum. I'm in the process of figuring out my mental health journey to finding peace, balance, and managing my anxiety. I'm looking forward to reading @CathyTea's story and her experiences as I believe it's brave and important to share your life's journey.

@friendsfan367 it is always good to see you here. I'm looking forward to your Simselfie showing up in LASL. She's making an appearance soon. So is @Bugsie2016's character except her Simself's story isn't so happy. (Sorry Bugs).

Hope you're all doing well. Lots of <3 Bananas!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    I haven't been in here for a bit so let's see what I missed.

@Firande 's Story - Not caught up yet but it's on my endless list of things to read. Honestly haven't been in a reading mood lately so that's why I'm behind on everyone's stories. :)

@CathyTea 's Story - I made a start on it because there's probably not that many parts (and they're all short enough). I think I last finished part 3 (I had to take a break because it was a lot of things to think about at once so I'll probably finish catching up tomorrow)

Life's Lessons (new chapter?) - I'm working on the next chapter but it's taking a while finding the motivation. I'm a night owl and so I tend to do things at night but I also tend to get more screenshotting done in the day so it's finding that balance. I do have some things to say about LL though. I'll put them in a spoiler.
    We're getting close to the end of part 1 of LL soon. I've planned 3 parts. The first part, which is this part. The second part which is the ending of the first part. The third part which is exploring the lives of Rory and Connor & Dani's future kids. The end of the first part and the beginning of the second is going to be a tough one to write and I already know it. Bring tissues because a lot is gonna happen in a short space of time.

I also have a question for everyone: Is there any section of your story where you found it hard to write and push onto the next part?
  • Options
    Updates from The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright . I'm getting close to the end. Ish. I think. :D

screenshot-8-1.jpg?w=474&h=356
    Kas asks Jennifer why she would give up certain things for love.
    1.76, Pt. 3 Life and Love and Why

cover-2.jpg?w=474&h=356
    Davis and Kass have a nice date...
    1.77 Nice Day

screenshot-1335-1.jpg?w=474&h=356
    ...but their date is interrupted! By crazy news regarding Madison!
    1.78, Pt. 1 No Mistake

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    I also have a question for everyone: Is there any section of your story where you found it hard to write and push onto the next part?

@Bugsie2016 yes, I'm here right now. I changed the format and loosened up on my storytelling for LASL to break past my difficulty in motivation. However, I'm still a little stuck with KCLKF. It's funny because I have it outlined and partially written to the end of #1, but I've struggled to actually sit down and finish it.

Right now I'm torn with writing a chapter from another person's perspective or moving along with my main character's story line. I've also just finished some intense chapters so maybe it's good I'm taking a break.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @CathyTea I <3 Spectrum. It's beautifully written and powerfully thought provoking. While reading, onese thought that popped into my head was how others perceive us may not be how we perceive ourselves, and yet it can influence (for better or worse) how we perceive ourselves.

I'm a tactile individual and kinesthetic learner. It helps me to be doing something while I wait. Not even 2 weeks ago, I cut up fliers during a staff meeting to give myself something to do and I was asked (albeit teasingly) if I was even listening. At first, I was horrified. Of course, I was listening. Doing something with my hands helps me listen and process and cope with being in a large room with many people. Then I remembered I don't need to explain or justify myself to others, that I'm ok with this aspect of myself and this is how I process. So I simply nodded and smiled and said, "Yes." It didn't feel like I was lying because I'm confident enough in myself to know that they don't need to know why I'm cutting up paper while in a meeting. For me, this was growth. I didn't get defensive. I didn't shrug it off with a joke. I didn't need to justify. I simply needed to exist as me and be comfortable with myself.

Another thought I had was how we all have different coping mechanisms for stressful situations. I've been reading about Highly Sensitive People (HSPs) recently and I've come to believe I am a HSP. I tend to be easily overwhelmed by noise and bright lights, and strong smells (I have a weak stomach), and I feel exhausted more easily after being in public with people.

I have developed coping mechanisms for sensory processing at work and in social situations. Sometimes I use lotion for my hands when I'm sitting in a meeting. We live in a dry climate and the scent and act of rubbing lotion into my skin is soothing for me. Sometimes I shut my office door at work and turn off the overhead light and just use the desk lamp. Sometimes I listen to quiet soothing music while at my desk. Sometimes I excuse myself to the restroom and do a stretch or two and practice a breathing exercise in the stall.

I often take notes during a meeting, even if we have a PowerPoint or a hangout. It helps me stay mentally focused on what I need to know, and less focused on all the things in the room.

I also always try to take my lunch away from my desk outside the office, even if I'm just sitting in my car on a rainy or snowy day. I still drive to the park a few blocks away. It's the little things that help me get through my day and help me feel less overwhelmed.

@everyone if you feel comfortable sharing, what types of coping mechanisms do you use in life and why are these important for you?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    What types of coping mechanisms do you use in life and why are these important for you?

Not sure if any of these are coping mechanisms but they're all I can think of right now. (This has been my week off so haven't needed to use any actual ones since last week.)

Music is one of my biggest ones. Any spare time I have usually has music (even during playing sims 4). I don't think music needs explaining.

Second one is having time by myself, it at least has to be 4 hours (a day) so I can enjoy something alone (I prefer physically being alone too). Lately it's been a lot of Sims 4 CAS and YouTube in this time. I need this or I get really stressed. (It's why I never actually stopped playing the sims 4 during my exam season. I needed it as a distraction. I just stopped reading/writing.)

If I think of anymore, I'll add them.
  • Options
    Hi, I have a question for @CathyTea's simLit, Spectrum.

Spectrum is a very personal simLit and I applaud you for the bravery of writing something so punishingly intimate, which is one of the beauties of this series. Were there any chapters particularly hard to write because of this?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @CathyTea what inspires your chapters? How do you pick a subject?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    want to hear a funny story. i'm always well almost always lurking in cogs reading circle. but now that i have a chance and time to be in it my witch faints every time her werewolf husband transforms.