Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you buy a “Shopping Mall” GamePack?

So I’ve been thinking, I really want a shopping mall in the Sims. There’s so many ways they could incorporate it. I just feel like it’s something missing from Sims 2 - 4, and it always feels unrealistic not to have one in a game as way to get out of the day.

So as a Game Pack, I would imagine we’d need maybe a single neighbor hood (eg like Forgotten Grotto) with one huge lot (maybe 64x64, but I would encourage them to go one better and maybe go 90x90).

Obviously have one prebuilt Mall (with empty room for players to build their own Shops) and the ability to build your own from scratch.

I would imagine that they could repurpose the food stalls and give us indoor versions that look like the front of Fast Food shops.

New Gameplay items:

Clothes Racks (Either like Hot Date where it’s shop exclusives outfits, or like Sims 2 ( you could change how the game works in Settings to have Full Acces to CAS or buy purchase only).

Grocery items: Things like shelves, freezers, fridges, fresh produce stations etc). Either buy from the store or have someone deliver groceries to your door. Or disable it in settings.

Hairdresser stations, new Workstations etc.

I’m not sure how it would work overall, but I’m sure they could think of something to incorporate what I’m saying.

Other packs could obviously work in favour of this.

I imagine they would have to make the lot a “Special” lot type with custom coding so that Sims wouldn’t just shop and eat, but they could also do thinks like use a gym or visit a spa for a massage inside the shopping centre.

Would you guys buy a Shopping Mall GP and if so, what would you want to see in it?

Comments

• Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Very unlikely to happen in TS4 as large lots filled with tons of objects are bad for performance. The simulation lag would be awful as autonomy calculation would need to take everything in every shop into account at once. The current 20 Sims per zone limit is also way low for a mall. I mean, 20 probably isn’t even enough for the number of employees a decent sized mall needs. Spas in Spa Day aleady have like 6 employees at once.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @elelunicy wrote: »
    Very unlikely to happen in TS4 as large lots filled with tons of objects are bad for performance. The simulation lag would be awful as autonomy calculation would need to take everything in every shop into account at once. The current 20 Sims per zone limit is also way low for a mall. I mean, 20 probably isn’t even enough for the number of employees a decent sized mall needs. Spas in Spa Day aleady have like 6 employees at once.

True. But potentially they could find a way around it. I say as if it’s very unlikely to happen BUT;

Some areas like the Willow Creek Park have very simple backdrops and huge lots in this area seem to run really well whereas the rest of the game they run terribly. I also had a mod that increased the amount of Sims in my game and I didn’t have any issue in the base game park areas. But I did have issues elsewhere.

I also know to help reduce lag in the Science lab they made the backdrops really basic (it’s like it’s in the middle of nothing) as that lot gets really laggy with all the equipment and that object that makes other objects.

They could create custom rules for this large area world but yeah. I hear what you’re saying. Thing is they’re creative solutions to problems surely. Even doing what the Sims 2 did and completely limiting how NPC Sims Work and making them almost hollow with no programming, skills etc. so the game doesn’t have to do anything with them.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Idk somehow I am already enjoying the Get to Work aspect imo. They just need to improve it such as tweak the customers behaviors and create some new objects. Seems very unlikely tho.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited July 2018
    I’d love this, and it’s still possible it could happen, SGGrant was saying a few weeks ago that he’d love to expand retail.
    I think instead of one huge shopping mall that’s all open at once, it should be divided into ‘units’ much like the CL apartments, where each acts as its own store, that would make it much more stable.

• Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I think it would require too much overlap with the Get to work expansion, which already gives you shops and the ability to sell clothes. I'd love to see a few more commercial lot types though, things like hair salons, and maybe some kind of way to combine lot types. We might not be able to make a fully functioning mall (though I got pretty close with what we already have), but combining lot types could make one lot work as both retail and restaurant, for example.
  • Options
    TrixieLocaTrixieLoca Posts: 116 Member
    100% I'd love grocery shops back so much or ordering online! It's a small detail but it adds so much realism
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Nah..
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't think I'd be interested because I already have a shopping mall in my game. The only thing it doesn't have that you mentioned was hairdresser stations. And groceries, because I don't think I've ever seen groceries in a mall (but I could add some if I wanted.) They've already given us quite a bit of content to support this type of gameplay.
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I don’t think I would be interested in a mall, (malls are a little outdated anyway, right? All mine locally are shutting down!). I would like a “Town Life” pack? :D I’d love hairdressers, tattoo artists (because sims can have tattoos but not get them? :/ ), grocery stores...that kind of stuff. :) Just more reasons for my sims to actually leave the house (lol).
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I would be interested only if they gave us a building tool to divide lots into smaller ownable pieces. So one 64x64 could divide into several smaller shops that sims could own and change the individual zoning to whatever, including residential for "apartments". (To make up for not giving us real apartment tools in CL.) So if they made a mall pack that could do all that, yes, I'd buy it.
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I love the idea of a building tool to divide lots. I do not know if it is possible but I think it would be nice for retail spaces and multi family homes. I also think it would be interesting to have an additional neighborhood that was one large mall space with separate shops. I would not want loading screens between the shops. I would like for my sims to go from store to store or cafe without interrupting the story.
  • Options
    Dault3883Dault3883 Posts: 9 New Member
    Not likely due to the performance side of it with that many objects besides for the most part Malls are dying doesnt really make since
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited July 2018
    A lot like that is way too complex to ever make it into TS4. This game is about everything but complexity :p

It's possible they expand retail in the future but huge lots filled with sims are a nightmare for performance. Most people don't play or gaming rigs capable on handling that, hence the 20 sims per lot limit. And even with that limit people keep complaining about lags in public venues.

I personally see why we can't shop for clothes in TS3 and TS4. With a CAS like that it doesn't really make sense and shopping racks aren't much different than the mannequins we already have if we want to simulate buying clothes.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Players would hate malls made of shells with four or five units in them. What they could do is create lots that are wide but not deep, like 64x20. Then create a new register that has a NPC clerk attached to it and when you place a register, the clerk "works" that sales area ringing up customers. Then you could have four or five shops in a row, each with a clerk and different stuff to sell as if they were separate stores but really, they are just one big store.
  • Options
    AnnaLoo91AnnaLoo91 Posts: 63 Member
    Probably not, unless they made it worth going to, like maybe your sims can get new smartphone skins or something, and also going to the mall gives the ability to actually customize clothes the way it was done in sims 3. That may give me incentive to get the pack. I do like the grocery store idea someone said above though, that would be nice, just doing some shopping
    PromSig.png
    Zest Family Spawn: Promise Zest.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I'm working on a build that's on a corner lot so it has two usable sides. It will look like four or five different shops with different exteriors, but will actually be just one big store divided into sections, clothes, toys, books, restrooms, etc. So, outside it looks like a row of shops on a corner, but inside one department store. In the rear , there will be a plaza with a fountain and tables and food stalls.
  • Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    If they can tweek some of the issues with the stores that are in Get To Work and add enough different shops it might be interesting though the Mall in the traditional sense might be more of a fit in an 80's game pack.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    And groceries, because I don't think I've ever seen groceries in a mall
    Really?
    Every mall I've ever been to has at least one major supermarket in it.
    I live in a tiny city, and there's only one mall here, and it has two large supermarkets, one at each end.
    I thought the purpose of a mall was for one-stop shopping.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd love to see Get to Work retail system updated with clothing racks and new clothing that could only be purchased in the stores otherwise there is really no reason to go to them. But really they need to find a way to get something like this to work the worlds are way to small to have to create a specific lot for each business if I want to make a coffee shop and a clothing store on one lot there should be a option to select which room is what type of business and both work as they should.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    The main reason I used malls in TS2 was the length of the loading screens, which were so long at the end. With TS4 loading screens being so short, I doubt I would use malls much, so I'm not sure I'd buy a mall GP.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    If it introduces multipurpose venues again, I'd give it a chance, but if it's anything like the mess of the retail system, it's not worth anything.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    The idea of playing a mall pack bores me.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Idk somehow I am already enjoying the Get to Work aspect imo. They just need to improve it such as tweak the customers behaviors and create some new objects. Seems very unlikely tho.

yes i think that to i would love if they would more items to that and tweak some stuff like having sims pay at the register for more realism
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,975 Member
    edited July 2018
    I would love to see a shopping mall. I wish they had the old rack system, instead of having to put together whole outfits, but maybe they could make it where you could change one item of an outfit at a time, like a jewelry store, when you buy jewelry at a jewelry shop it could just change that one piece. As far as NPC’s go they could make it like many stores are going to these days, the self check out system. You wouldn’t need an NPC for that. Added to hair dressing, tattoo shop, and grocery store, we should be able to have things like a jewelry store, candy shop, ice cream shop, flower shop, perfume shop, makeup shop, and of course places to eat, again kiosk for check out would be good. I would also like to see a ticket booth for a movie theatre with a special bar that sells popcorn, candy, soda, and hot dogs, similar to the outdoor festival food booths, but it looks more like a bar.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, I already built a mall for my game when we got GTW. It worked great complete with NPC cashiers. It had pratically everything. I don't see a need for a mall in the game we can build our own if we are clever.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.