Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How far apart do you imagine each world within Sims 4 to be from each other?

LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
First of all, I know Sims 4 is just a game and the location of each world doesn't actually matter, but I think it's interesting to at least think about...

Personally, I like to view Willow Creek and Magnolia Promenade as part of the same world (since Magnolia Promenade looks very similar to the area across from the neighborhood with the steamboat). So I consider them to be within minutes from each other. And then I also imagine Newcrest being the next town over (which would probably be like 15-30 mins away). And I like to think the city that can be seen from the distance in certain areas of Newcrest is actually San Myshuno, which basically acts as the "central" area of the overall game. As for Brindleton, I imagine it being either the next town over from Newcrest OR simply the next town over from Willow Creek in the opposite direction of Newcrest. And I kinda like to think that Granite Falls is an area found up the mountains from Brindleton Bay.

Also, considering the obvious difference of climate found in Oasis Springs, along with the completely different theme of Windenburg (compared to other worlds), I imagine these two being the furthest areas away from everywhere else... and Selvadorada's obviously a completely different area of the Sims world... given the overall rain forest theme, it's probably much further away than Oasis Springs or Windenburg.

And I haven't put much thought into Forgotten Hollow, so I really don't know where I'd put it on a map... lol

Overall, I don't really imagine most of the worlds in Sims 4 being too far away from each other. I could imagine Sims taking somewhere between 15 mins to possibly an hour to actually visit another "world"... so they're basically more like cities or towns that make up an entire world.

That's my perspective... what do you all think?
Favorite Packs
Sims 1: Hot Date
Sims 2: Seasons
Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
Sims 3: Seasons
Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
Sims 4: Seasons
Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Great thread! I've been thinking about this as well, and I would have started to draw a map of the sim world if I was a little more adept at drawing.
    And I haven't put much thought into Forgotten Hollow, so I really don't know where I'd put it on a map... lol

In my head canon, Forgotten Hollow is somewhere behind the mountains you see in Windenburg. It's a "lost valley" kind of world, so the architecture doesn't have to match that of any nearby places. I also like to think of Windenburg as being close to Brindleton Bay, only separated by a lake that both of them border on. Oasis Springs is definitely the southernmost of the inhabitable worlds, whereas Windenburg or Forgotten Hollow might be the northernmost.

As for the worlds that are the farthest away from each other, those have to be the vacation worlds. Selvadorada is obviously based on South America, so that's where I'd put it, while Granite Falls gives me a Scandinavian vibe (although I've never been to Scandinavia myself, so I could be totally wrong about that).
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Basically I am imagining it all to be close, except the vacation worlds. But I also imagine that they're connected with some sort of portals or time warps, not aeroplanes.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I roleplay Willow Creek and Newcrest as being suburbs of San Myshuno (and Windenburg is the "historic district", while Magnolia Promenade is sort of between Newcrest and downtown San Myshuno). Brindleton Bay and Forgotten Hollow are small towns upstate, close to Granite Falls, but only a few hours drive from Willow Creek.

Oasis Springs is also within driving distance of Willow Creek (like how when you get a little inland from LA, suddenly everything turns from lush and green into desert).

The whole area I call "Creek County"

Selvadorada is overseas, of course, but I like to imagine it's just south of the border.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    This may sound a little silly, but in my head, I see something similar to that island where that train, Thomas, runs. Every place on that island is a little different but close enough to travel to in a day.

Layout-wise, I think of it similar to a small America. Brindleton Bay is up in New England. San Myshuno is where New York would be. Willow Creek is in the south along with Magnolia Promenade and the police station and hospital. Oasis Springs is out west like Palm Springs with the science lab. Newcrest is between San Myshuno and Willow Creek and sort of ties them together. Granite Falls and Forgotten Hollow are both in the Rocky Mountains but on different sides of the mountain range. Selvadorada is farther south than Willow Creek like Brazil, only not nearly as far. Windenburg is North West like Seattle due to the rain and drizzle.

That's how I see it anyway. Laid out that way but all in a smaller area, close enough to get from one to the other by train.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I like to think of it as a smaller size world in general than ours.. so yes everything is close basically no farther than across the lake or over those mountains in the distance. I was smiling today when I noticed the mailman running up from a dock area on the island in Windenburg. I guess they go by invisible boat?.. maybe that plane that flies around and lands on the water out there?
    I don't really think about the time it takes to travel though at all though. I want to get on with my game so I like the basically instant access.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I think of Newcrest, Oasis Springs, Willow Creek, all on one island. Magnolia Promenade is a small tourist destination on the outskirts of everything. I think of Forgotten Hollow outside of Willow Creek, deep in the woods. The kind of creepy town you end up in when you take a wrong turn in a horror movie. Except for Forgotten Hollow everything else is connected by a series of buses, taxis, and trains. Which one you take depends on how far you want to go.

Windenburg is it's own island. In my mind it is a rough around the edges town that got it's start because the fishing was so good. It's generally cold, rainy or foggy. It's a commuter plane or boat ride away from everything else. They travel bus or taxi to get around the island.

Brindleton Bay is a tiny island that is accessed from either the Promenade or Newcrest by ferry. A little farming community that boasts a great place to raise a family.

Granite Falls is a river town that is accessed by driving down long windy mountain roads. They make their money in the tourist industry. Walking, hiking, and biking and the occasional for wheeler get tourist and locals around once there.

Selvadora is a good 24 hour trip from the main island. Far less tourists go there because of the time and money it takes to get there. Most of the locals walk but there are a few buses that take people in and out of the main town.
  • Options
    PRSJMSPRSJMS Posts: 66 Member
    For me, Willow Creek and Magnolia prominade are in the same place. Newcrest sometimes is as well, but I'm so desperate for an England world that I often use it to build houses I'd see here at home. Then Windenburg is in another country, since it is Europe. Oasis Springs I imagine to be a hotter climate in the same country as Willow Creek (I think of it as California) OR somewhere like Spain, Portugal. Depends on the save.

I do wish sims from other towns wouldn't randomly walk through other worlds because it breaks this immersion for me. It's hard to make myself believe Windenburg is not just another part of America when Bella Goth and Eliza Pancake walk down the street.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I think the two basegame neighborhoods are like Florida and Arizona in the US. I think of Windenburg as being Europe and San Myshuno as an Asian metropolis. I feel Brindleton Bay might be British, because GB is known to be especially fond of animals :)

So to answer the OP's question: Within driving and/or flight distance.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I imagine the Sims' world to be much smaller than our own, with its own compacted environments. Not trying to imagine it as "Earth" makes it a lot easier to accept that Sims can go from a desert to a mountain community and back just to pick up a few things at the shops. I do, though, consider Newcrest to be just outside Willow Creek, as its suburbs, and Magnolia Promenade to be a nearby community. And I consider San Myshuno to be closer to Windenburg than it is to Oasis Springs or Willow Creek. I think of Forgotten Hollow as tucked in between Windenburg and San Myshuno somehow. Brindleton Bay is closer to Oasis Springs and Willow Creek than to others. It probably wouldn't work out on a globe at all :D
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I try not to think about it because it would be pretty hard to make sense of.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited June 2018
    In my mind they exist in within a 28 x 28 km area excluding vacation worlds, since my headcanon is that my Sims neighborhoods are just outlying suburbs of my main save file in my SimCity 4 game.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    tapphaustapphaus Posts: 4 New Member
    I hope they come up with an expansion of all the old neighbourhoods from all The Sims games. I thought the Sims 3 with the classic characters as children was the best idea ever. Another thing I miss is the ability to buy cottage or summer houses.
  • Options
    RevolverOcelotsRevolverOcelots Posts: 438 Member
    To me it's like they are states really like Willow Creek , Newcrest and Magnolia are pretty close and then of course San Myshuno is the city so everyone mostly takes the train to get there and those brave sims that drive and search for parking in the city xD Windenberg would maybe be a plane ride away with Brindleton Bay not far from it and Forgotten Hollow would be the furthest off just in some dark inland type of place. This is an interesting thing to think about though
    8c1695baf85e527a0357f825b6539ff2cd9de1a7.gif Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I think very similar like op, but with a few differences. I think Willow Creek and Magnolia Promenade are the same place, with MP located in Willow Creek's downtown area. Newcrest wouldn't be much far away, I imagine it being a neighboring town of Willow Creek. San Myshuno isn't far away from these two either. Think about that San Myshuno is located at the sea while Newcrest isn't. Brindleton Bay could be a small town located on the same coast as San Myshuno. Oasis Springs and Windenburg seem to be located in completely different areas, that's why I let sims living in these worlds rarely travel to other worlds (only on special days like weekends and holidays).
    For some odd reason, I imagine Forgotten Hollow being located in the mountains you can see from San Myshuno. Maybe that's because the sims with who I tested the Vampires GP back then lived in San Myshuno, so it just developed into a headcanon for me :D .
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    From a story standpoint, not game-driven, Willow Creek is a Simmified version of New Orleans (in my mind anyway.) WC has a downtown, business (for professional buildings such as the local publishing house) and residential districts. Magnolia Promenade is WC's mall area/shopping district. Newcrest, the next town over, is about twenty to twenty-five minutes away depending on traffic. Newcrest boasts the Rouge Basque, a French Baroque coffee shop, The Fallen Angel goth club, Club Slate, residential districts, etc. San Myshuno is the big city, while Oasis Springs is a desert community. Brindleton Bay is a New Englandesque coastal town that's well known for its seafood, famous clam chowder and beaches. Windenburg and Forgotten Hollow are about 45 minutes to an hour away from each other.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited August 2018
    It depends on which game save I'm playing. For instance, in my ancestral game save, Willow Creek is the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. Newcrest is the Holston/Watauga Settlements about three hundred miles southwest. Brindleton Bay becomes Old Frederick County in VA and Windenburg Dunmore County. My sixth great-grandparents moved around a lot before they took that very long trek to the Southwest, which ultimately became Tennessee.

For my other save, the neighborhoods are much closer to each other. My teens go about all of the time.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    edited August 2018
    Interesting thread, I gave this a little thought while preparing for sleep last night -but nothing as detailed as this.
    (I think part of my problem might be imagining the bigger distances to travel and how the climates fit in because I was born and raised in New Zealand which is much smaller than say Australia, the US or Canada).

Anyway, about as far as I got was that my current Sims live in Willow Creek and use San Myshuno quite a bit. Windenberg (for the clubs) is a little more problematic.
    I haven’t built Newcrest (yet), imagined the Chez Llama I placed in Magnolia Promenade to just be somewhere in the area/city (forgot it was technically it’s own neighbourhood). I don’t own Outdoor Retreat, Jungle Adventures, Vampires or Cats and Dogs.

I did think that if any of my future generations move to Oasis Springs, I would consider that to be moving much further away. I will try to make them less/not dependant on San Myshuno and try to make sure any family back in Willow Creek only pop by on the very occasional special event.
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I haven’t thought about it, but I wish that someone who has would draw a map.

I remember seeing a map every world from every sims game on it. It's on these forums somewhere although I can't remember what section.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    I roleplay Willow Creek and Newcrest as being suburbs of San Myshuno (and Windenburg is the "historic district", while Magnolia Promenade is sort of between Newcrest and downtown San Myshuno). Brindleton Bay and Forgotten Hollow are small towns upstate, close to Granite Falls, but only a few hours drive from Willow Creek.

Yes, I pretty much imagine it the same way. Or, I did before Seasons came out. They often have wildly different weather so it is hard to imagine such dramatic swings in weather/temperature within the same county.

• Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    I think of it as zones in an MMO or biomes in Minecraft. You can walk a few minutes in any direction and end up crossing a border into a new zone with drastically different climate and geography.

That way it explains how you can travel to every world and back again in 1 day.

It helps my mind make sense of something like waking up in Arizona , grabbing lunch in New York, taking my pet to the vet in Maine, and going to a club in London all in one day like it’s no big deal.
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I love the map that has all the sims games on it! Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since Sept. 2016 so a few recent towns are not on it yet. The creator of the map has recently stated a few more towns need to be added to the game before updating it again (it's a big job!).
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/885521/my-map-of-all-the-towns-from-every-sims-game-updated-14-09
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I refer to the real world map and place the sims worlds wherever they fit best. Selvadorada may be Central or South America in my head, Windenberg in Europe, the base worlds in North America, etc.
    I like to think sims travel Star Trek style by using a transporter. I've been out of the game for a couple of weeks now because of my broken laptop. Once I have my desktop up and running, maybe I'll create little transporter pads in some of the community lots. I've taken breaks from sims before, but haven't yet experienced not being able to play when I do want to play....... It's a very frustrating experience.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited August 2018
    Not far enough with seasons for me, it seems. I can't wrap my head around opening the map and travelling instantly (from the sim's point of view, anyway) from say, Willow Creek where it's snowing, to Oasis Springs where it's sunny and warm. Not saying they should have made the weather the same everywhere (that would be dumb). But I'm too used to popping over to a nightclub for the evening here or a day in the park here for it to feel like there's any more distance than an adjoining suburb. Which in my current gameplay has made me put ALL my sims and lots I visit in Willow Creek (my world of choice, because it has changing weather and doesn't have some of the problems that Brindleton has).
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • Options
    AcidJaneAcidJane Posts: 33 Member
    I noticed the other day that the buildings in the background of Oasis Springs are the same buildings in the background of Newcrest. (I was somewhere in the Bedrock Strait neighborhood when I saw this.) Before that, I always thought of Newcrest as a suburb of San Myshuno, too.