Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I agree. Small pets would have been better as a game pack. Also would have allowed the rodents themselves to be more detailed and have like say rats behave differently to hamsters etc.

GPs are destination or supernaturals. For animals in a gp they use FX and sims cannot react to fx programming.... so not possible to be a gp unless they change the formats of gps (is my understanding).

Spa Day, Dine Out, and Parenthood are neither destination nor supernatural. In my understanding, the game packs are not limited to themes, but rather how vast content they will cover.

Say what you want about Parenthood, but going to a spa or out to eat can totally be a destination for some Sims. ;)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I agree. Small pets would have been better as a game pack. Also would have allowed the rodents themselves to be more detailed and have like say rats behave differently to hamsters etc.

GPs are destination or supernaturals. For animals in a gp they use FX and sims cannot react to fx programming.... so not possible to be a gp unless they change the formats of gps (is my understanding).

Spa Day, Dine Out, and Parenthood are neither destination nor supernatural. In my understanding, the game packs are not limited to themes, but rather how vast content they will cover.

According to the Guru's Dine out and Spa Day were specific destinations. Parenthood was specific indepth character behaviors - just as Vampire were specific indepth character behaviors. And yes GPs has a single theme.

But the fact remains for animals - in gps they are fx with which thus far Sims do not see or react to - any more than any other fx.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited March 2018
    Couldn't pet stores be considered a destination? Those were proposed as potential game packs.

Sure animals have been fx in GPs so far, but why would that mean they can only be fx in the future?

Further, I don't really understand the reasoning behind small pets not being doable in a GP because they are restricted to destinations or supernaturals. Spa Day and Dine Out could be considered destinations in the general sense, but because they're venues, the experience they offer is quite different to the likes Granite Falls or Selvadorada.

I think GPs can be whatever the developers want them to be. As long as the theme is concise and it fits in budget.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Couldn't pet stores be considered a destination? Those were proposed as potential game packs.

Sure animals have been fx in GPs so far, but why would that mean they can only be fx in the future?

Further, I don't really understand the reasoning behind small pets not being doable in a GP because they are restricted to destinations or supernaturals. Spa Day and Dine Out could be considered destinations in the general sense, but because they're venues, the experience they offer is quite different to the likes Granite Falls or Selvadorada.

I think GPs can be whatever the developers want them to be. As long as the theme is concise and it fits in budget.

Pet stores can't have pets apparently - just pet stuff - so that is not going to add pets to the game. That is why the Guru's said we could already make pet stores in retail seeing they just sell pet stuff now.

If you notice anywhere the laws are changing in real life - the Sims game reflect that -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    sundaysimmersundaysimmer Posts: 201 Member
    edited March 2018
    I think what the title of this stuff pack means, is it's a Sims' first pet. Most of us start out with caged pets, after all. Parents don't necessarily want to shell out the funds for a dog or a cat, both of which take far more care than a caged pet, with the exception of having to clean said cage. I'm a tad disappointed they didn't include a bird(s) or actual fish to care for. I still haven't decided if I want to purchase this pack, however.
    I think what the title of this stuff pack means, is it's a Sims' first pet. Most of us start out with caged pets, after all. Parents don't necessarily want to shell out the funds for a dog or a cat, both of which take far more care than a caged pet, with the exception of having to clean said cage. I'm a tad disappointed they didn't include a bird(s) or actual fish to care for. I still haven't decided if I want to purchase this pack, however.

Because it's a stuff pack - it can only have a very limited amount of animation - and why it needed to be like creatures that could use the same kind of environment. A snake, a lizard, a Bird, a turtle, or even fish that can be cared for all would need different animations, cages, and environments. So Graham did what he could within his limits and guidelines.

Well, maybe they shouldn't have done it as a stuff pack then. Quite a lot people has said already that small pets feel more like game pack material, and I agree with them. It doesn't really make a good impresion when they choose something that needs more depth (animations etc.), and turn it to a stuff pack, just to have the limited-budget explanation for doing it poorly. There are many less complex themes that could be done well as stuff packs.

Doesn't matter what WE think a pack should be - the ep and gp teams pick what packs they want to make - and Graham generally make his packs from things people request that the ep and gp team do not plan to revisit. So you can think that all you want - but seeing Graham is the one who made the pack - that means neither the gp or ep teams was messing with any other pets. Perhaps Graham might have considered making other small animals in more packs seeing he has limits - and probably won't because of this fuss.

Quite frankly I would be surprised if we get any more of any kind of additional pets now.

I do know the ep team took a choice of either small pets or the vets career and content - and because simmers have repeatedly asked for pets career since Sims 2 - they decided to go with that - which meant small pets were out.

GP packs are destinations or supernatural - so they would not make pets of any kind but fx - which means sims would have no interactions at all with any of those creatures.

So that did only leave Graham and he has limits he has to go through all sorts of approvals to raise them - like he did for our laundry day pack to make it bigger than the rest because it was considered a "special edition pack" - but I would assume in order to cover all kinds of small pets - he would have never gotten that permission for a 10 dollar pack. Of course I can only assume that and it is my opinion - but the fact remains gps and eps were out and the only option was sps or no small pets at all - nor additional C&D stuff either.

I guess I just look at the whole issues as a positive experience - Graham is providing me an option for two things I wanted - small pets and more C & D content for just 10 bucks - in my eyes it is a good thing and something I wanted - so naturally I have a good opinion on getting and wanting this pack.

It is obviously not everyones opinion any more than us choosing what stuff should be in what packs made by what team.

The fact that there are separate teams doesn't mean that they don't communicate with each other and coordinate their content.
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

You are right about the fx. (Which makes me wonder how seasons will work)

But spas and restaurants and parenthood were all game packs so I don't follow the idea that a small pet pack would not be possible.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Because it's a stuff pack - it can only have a very limited amount of animation - and why it needed to be like creatures that could use the same kind of environment. A snake, a lizard, a Bird, a turtle, or even fish that can be cared for all would need different animations, cages, and environments. So Graham did what he could within his limits and guidelines.

Well, maybe they shouldn't have done it as a stuff pack then. Quite a lot people has said already that small pets feel more like game pack material, and I agree with them. It doesn't really make a good impresion when they choose something that needs more depth (animations etc.), and turn it to a stuff pack, just to have the limited-budget explanation for doing it poorly. There are many less complex themes that could be done well as stuff packs.

Doesn't matter what WE think a pack should be - the ep and gp teams pick what packs they want to make - and Graham generally make his packs from things people request that the ep and gp team do not plan to revisit. So you can think that all you want - but seeing Graham is the one who made the pack - that means neither the gp or ep teams was messing with any other pets. Perhaps Graham might have considered making other small animals in more packs seeing he has limits - and probably won't because of this fuss.

Quite frankly I would be surprised if we get any more of any kind of additional pets now.

I do know the ep team took a choice of either small pets or the vets career and content - and because simmers have repeatedly asked for pets career since Sims 2 - they decided to go with that - which meant small pets were out.

GP packs are destinations or supernatural - so they would not make pets of any kind but fx - which means sims would have no interactions at all with any of those creatures.

So that did only leave Graham and he has limits he has to go through all sorts of approvals to raise them - like he did for our laundry day pack to make it bigger than the rest because it was considered a "special edition pack" - but I would assume in order to cover all kinds of small pets - he would have never gotten that permission for a 10 dollar pack. Of course I can only assume that and it is my opinion - but the fact remains gps and eps were out and the only option was sps or no small pets at all - nor additional C&D stuff either.

I guess I just look at the whole issues as a positive experience - Graham is providing me an option for two things I wanted - small pets and more C & D content for just 10 bucks - in my eyes it is a good thing and something I wanted - so naturally I have a good opinion on getting and wanting this pack.

It is obviously not everyones opinion any more than us choosing what stuff should be in what packs made by what team.

The fact that there are separate teams doesn't mean that they don't communicate with each other and coordinate their content.

That I can't answer - but I would assume they have department head managers and cordinators that handle those kinds of things. (Lyndsay over sees a lot of things for one, and there are others that do as well. Plus people that watch the forums to see what lots of people are asking for.) I know when people ask Graham questions about non-sp packs he refers them to producers from those packs and reminds us constantly he only works on the stuff packs in Sims 4. Big companies like EA have personnel for everything and every position - unlike small companies or Indie type studios.

They used to send people to teams as needed - but they no longer do that in Sims 4.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

That I can't answer - but I would assume they have department head managers and cordinators that handle those kinds of things. (Lyndsay over sees a lot of things for one, and there are others that do as well. Plus people that watch the forums to see what lots of people are asking for.) I know when people ask Graham questions about non-sp packs he refers them to producers from those packs and reminds us constantly he only works on the stuff packs in Sims 4. Big companies like EA have personnel for everything and every position - unlike small companies or Indie type studios.

They used to send people to teams as needed - but they no longer do that in Sims 4.

Well, yes, I'm aware of all of that. My point was that during earlier phases there must be more flexibility in terms of what goes into which pack (of course taking into account the restrictions that apply to certain types of packs).
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Well, yes, I'm aware of all of that. My point was that during earlier phases there must be more flexibility in terms of what goes into which pack (of course taking into account the restrictions that apply to certain types of packs).

All I know is they have lots of meetings at every step with the over seers etc - all through the production of the pack. Graham shared a lot of that info with us when we were making the Laundry Day pack - and how they have to have approval of every single thing. If it does not get accepted for what ever reason - it doesn't get made. They have meetings constantly through out the development of the packs period.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

All I know is they have lots of meetings at every step with the over seers etc - all through the production of the pack. Graham shared a lot of that info with us when we were making the Laundry Day pack - and how they have to have approval of every single thing. If it does not get accepted for what ever reason - it doesn't get made. They have meetings constantly through out the development of the packs period.

Again - I realize all of that. I've read his posts, too. But that doesn't mean that there is no cooperation between the teams.
  • Options
    Apparently not - that would require over-seer approval and paper requests and of course more meetings.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Apparently not - that would require over-seer approval and paper requests and of course more meetings.

That's usually how it works. Why would this not be possible?
  • Options
    SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    I just saw some Sims 4 My first Pet Stuff Celebrity Video Ads?
    I couldn't help but lol....where are these out at?

Who are these people?
    Didn't convince me to buy the pack still... but interesting. lol

https://youtu.be/s8YJg69eHCo
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• Options

Who are these people?

I think one of the girls my little niece adores I'm not sure who they are but still doesn't convince me to buy the pack (or my niece for that matter)

I'm not a fan of celeb endorsements. Seems a bit..desperate.
  • Options
    SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    edited March 2018

Who are these people?

I think one of the girls my little niece adores I'm not sure who they are but still doesn't convince me to buy the pack (or my niece for that matter)

I'm not a fan of celeb endorsements. Seems a bit..desperate.

Yah, I really didn't wanna say that... but that's what I felt.
    Like they are really trying to sell this thing, and they are reaching....

Edit: And again with showing the Cats and Dogs... what if people don't have Cats and Dogs?
    Once again that uneasy feeling.
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member

Who are these people?

I honestly don't think a celebrity is going to make any difference at all, lol.
  • Options
    OddzballOddzball Posts: 141 Member
    Its still a cute video. I kinda liked it.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I'm confused about what Jessica Williams and Maddie Ziegler are supposed to achieve there.

This is also the first time I've ever seen an ad for TS4 stuff packs so that doesn't help me feel less confused.

How about giving that ad budget to the devs EA ?
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Who are these people?

Maybe I'm just old but who are they? Since I don't know I'm assuming the sims 4 is targeting a different audience maybe younger to buy? Then again someone my age who follows new artists would be a good target too maybe?
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options

Who are these people?

Maybe I'm just old but who are they? Since I don't know I'm assuming the sims 4 is targeting a different audience maybe younger to buy? Then again someone my age who follows new artists would be a good target too maybe?

I think so. My niece is ten. She knows who the girl Maddie is (she had to tell me who she was)

They are advertising cats and dogs heavily because it’s a stuff pack that gives you additional items for that expansion. And without it, you are paying for content you can’t use. As Graham said they don’t recommend people but my first pet without it.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    The worst part about all of this, is that they have lost trust.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    edited March 2018
    I know that Maddie girl is just because I downloaded her Sim when I was browising on Maxis' gallery :D That's always one spot taken from a random generated Sim.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member

Who are these people?

Maddie has over 1 million Twitter followers and Jessica around 300,000. The video is posted on their Twitter accounts with a link to purchase.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I can proudly say I don't know who either of those "celebrities" are.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I can be proud to say I do not know those "celebrities" as well. Asked my teenager and she did not even know them.