Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• OddzballOddzball Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2018
    But you can't fully use this pack and almost half its items, without having Cats and Dogs.
    That's been confirmed.

Buying it without Cats and Dogs leaves those items unavailable, or useless.
    That's what a lot of people are saying.

and what's left, a lot of people do not think is worth the 10 dollars.
    and to use them you have to go buy Cats and Dogs.

I don't understand why people are digging so hard to make this pack "worthy or unworthy."

Its more like *EDIT:1/4* the items, but I agree, without C&D's its not as great a value. But to say its "Not useable" is hyperbole a bit isnt it? It still has *EDIT:46*(I went and counted) items(Which is actually roughly the same as other smaller SPs, more if you consider that the Cats and Dog items, while serving no function, still serve as decoration, which is still technically useful) you can use, and you can still use the main gameplay features.
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    Oddzball wrote: »
    But you can't fully use this pack and almost half its items, without having Cats and Dogs.
    That's been confirmed.

Buying it without Cats and Dogs leaves those items unavailable, or useless.
    That's what a lot of people are saying.

and what's left, a lot of people do not think is worth the 10 dollars.
    and to use them you have to go buy Cats and Dogs.

I don't understand why people are digging so hard to make this pack "worthy or unworthy."

Its more like 1/3 the items, but I agree, without C&D's its not as great a value. But to say its "Not useable" is hyperbole a bit isnt it? It still has 44 items(Which is actually roughly the same as other smaller SPs, more if you consider that the Cats and Dog items, while serving no function, still serve as decoration, which is still technically useful) you can use, and you can still use the main gameplay features.

That would all be a personal opinion, if you think the items that don't function can serve as decoration.
    And I think people are entitled to their opinion without being downplayed. Again, I don't know why this is trying to be deemed "worthy" or not.

It is obvious that those who don't mind that, bought it.
    Those that don't, didn't, and they are expressing their reasons and opinions on why.

You saying its not so bad, doesn't make it "not so bad" for another person.
    If the gameplay features make this worth it to you, that great, once again.

My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

Arent the vast majority of items in SPs non functional decoration?
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Oddzball wrote: »
    Arent the vast majority of items in SPs non functional decoration?

Or furniture.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    I guess in this question -- there are two types of people in the world.

There's the type that see a non functioning bathtub, for example, and make it a functioning sofa.
    Then there are those that take that non functioning bathtub and put it on the curb for that previous person to find.

and I guess that applies here with this stuff pack.
    Once again, most people know these things are functional items, and knowing that, don't want to buy it under the idea that "hey, I can make it functional somehow."

and again, its a personal opinion and option that is fine either way, and doesn't require you to downplay those that don't think its worth it.
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I guess in this question -- there are two types of people in the world.

There's the type that see a non functioning bathtub, for example, and make it a functioning sofa.
    Then there are those that take that non functioning bathtub and put it on the curb for that previous person to find.

and I guess that applies here with this stuff pack.
    Once again, most people know these things are functional items, and knowing that, don't want to buy it under the idea that "hey, I can make it functional somehow."

and again, its a personal opinion and option that is fine either way, and doesn't require you to downplay those that don't think its worth it.

This!

Sad part is always having to break it down for people... There have been a lot of posts like yours where it's like you have to explain in by breaking it down and to be honest it should just be common sense. (Just saying and not trying to insult anyone here)
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    I agreed it wasnt a great value if you didnt own C&D. But that doesnt make it useless. But honestly, who doesnt own C&D anyway? ( I kid)

I was simply saying the hyperbole is a little ridiculous. Its not half the items, its not 85% of the items(As one simmer said) its not You *cant use it at all* as others keep frustratingly saying. And from a value perspective, even without the items you miss from not having C&D? Still about the same amount of items as a bunch of the other SPs.

Now, the recolors? Yeah, I agree. Low effort IMO. Definitely a fair gripe. (Though Ive noticed a lot more recolors than this)
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Tbh at this point I just want to pretend that this pack never happened and move on. But I won't forget, and will be very mindful of future content that is released for sims 4. If they do the same thing with another expansion that they did with cats & dogs, it's not gonna get pretty in here.

Looks like it's going to be best to wait for big sales on bundles. That way you get everything you should have gotten in an ep for a cheaper price than the original ep sold for.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    This is the first SP I have waited to buy of the Sims 4 stuff packs. The rest I bought on release day. This one, I'm waiting until it goes on sale, both because it gives me a bad feeling like they deliberately held back content so they could sell it back later, and also because of medical bills that are more urgent to pay than games. By the time they put it on sale, and they surely will with so much negative sentiment in the community, hopefully those bills will be paid off.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Zephyr73Zephyr73 Posts: 23 Member
    > @Oddzball said:
    > I agreed it wasnt a great value if you didnt own C&D. But that doesnt make it useless. But honestly, who doesnt own C&D anyway? ( I kid)
    >
    > I was simply saying the hyperbole is a little ridiculous. Its not half the items, its not 85% of the items(As one simmer said) its not You *cant use it at all* as others keep frustratingly saying. And from a value perspective, even without the items you miss from not having C&D? Still about the same amount of items as a bunch of the other SPs.
    >
    > Now, the recolors? Yeah, I agree. Low effort IMO. Definitely a fair gripe. (Though Ive noticed a lot more recolors than this)

I can't speak for anyone else, but while I don't think this SP is "useless" I still don't think it's useful enough for me to entice me to part with approximately $15 CAD after taxes. I'm not interested in a bunch of recoloured cloths for human and animal alike, and don't really count any of that as "quality content" for the price. I understand that other people don't see it that way, but this isn't about being right or wrong. It's about the fact everyone is allowed to make that determination for themselves. And while we can't definitively say who is in the majority since not everyone airs their concerns within a public forum, the consensus so far appears to be on the side of those who feel jilted.

I don't know if it was originally planned to have been a straight up "pets" EP and they simply ran into time and/or budget constraints, but with the hodge podge nature of this SP that's what it feels like to me. I feel like the Cats & Dogs dependant content and the leftover desk and chair should have been a free download for those that purchased Cat's & Dogs. Having said that, if I were making the decisions I would have this be a stand alone small animal SP with other small animals like turtles, snakes, birds etc. That with a few more less kiddie type items I think on the whole the community would have been much happier and EA and Maxis still could have made some nice bank without a ton more effort.

Well, that was a bit long winded, for me anyway. But that's my reasoning of why I personally will not be buying this SP.
    I really feel bad about you guys and the currency exchange being that rough.
  • SimsVetSimsVet Posts: 7 New Member
    Should I get it or not
  • SimsVetSimsVet Posts: 7 New Member
    My game won’t let me buy anything
  • strangestfruitstrangestfruit Posts: 53 Member
    Pretty sure if I get this one, I'll be waiting til it's on sale. I don't use pet outfits so a huge chunk of this pack, I won't use. Since it's $14.99aud for me, yeah. There's not that much content included that I'm even gonna use since I barely play with younger sims in my household anyway. Only that round coffee table. That's all I want and it's not worth $15.

And I totally get that EA wants to make money since they're a business and all but... yeah. This pack kinda rubs me the wrong way in most of the same reasons as everyone else. It reeks of the C&D pack being split up to make two separate packs.

Really EA, gimme more holiday destinations and seasons plz!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    I think what the title of this stuff pack means, is it's a Sims' first pet. Most of us start out with caged pets, after all. Parents don't necessarily want to shell out the funds for a dog or a cat, both of which take far more care than a caged pet, with the exception of having to clean said cage. I'm a tad disappointed they didn't include a bird(s) or actual fish to care for. I still haven't decided if I want to purchase this pack, however.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    Out of curiosity, do we know how this pack is selling?
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Haids5987 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, do we know how this pack is selling?

No and we probably never will. A recently closed thread showed that yesterday the stuff pack was the 3rd most popular game on Origin. It currently holds the #5 position with the base game at #4.
  • geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    edited March 2018
    I dont think that's right seance EA holds there numbers closer than there undies.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    SimsVet wrote: »
    Should I get it or not

Yes.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I think what the title of this stuff pack means, is it's a Sims' first pet. Most of us start out with caged pets, after all. Parents don't necessarily want to shell out the funds for a dog or a cat, both of which take far more care than a caged pet, with the exception of having to clean said cage. I'm a tad disappointed they didn't include a bird(s) or actual fish to care for. I still haven't decided if I want to purchase this pack, however.

Because it's a stuff pack - it can only have a very limited amount of animation - and why it needed to be like creatures that could use the same kind of environment. A snake, a lizard, a Bird, a turtle, or even fish that can be cared for all would need different animations, cages, and environments. So Graham did what he could within his limits and guidelines.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Because it's a stuff pack - it can only have a very limited amount of animation - and why it needed to be like creatures that could use the same kind of environment. A snake, a lizard, a Bird, a turtle, or even fish that can be cared for all would need different animations, cages, and environments. So Graham did what he could within his limits and guidelines.

Well, maybe they shouldn't have done it as a stuff pack then. Quite a lot people has said already that small pets feel more like game pack material, and I agree with them. It doesn't really make a good impresion when they choose something that needs more depth (animations etc.), and turn it to a stuff pack, just to have the limited-budget explanation for doing it poorly. There are many less complex themes that could be done well as stuff packs.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree. Small pets would have been better as a game pack. Also would have allowed the rodents themselves to be more detailed and have like say rats behave differently to hamsters etc.
    edited March 2018

Well, maybe they shouldn't have done it as a stuff pack then. Quite a lot people has said already that small pets feel more like game pack material, and I agree with them. It doesn't really make a good impresion when they choose something that needs more depth (animations etc.), and turn it to a stuff pack, just to have the limited-budget explanation for doing it poorly. There are many less complex themes that could be done well as stuff packs.

Doesn't matter what WE think a pack should be - the ep and gp teams pick what packs they want to make - and Graham generally make his packs from things people request that the ep and gp team do not plan to revisit. So you can think that all you want - but seeing Graham is the one who made the pack - that means neither the gp or ep teams was messing with any other pets. Perhaps Graham might have considered making other small animals in more packs seeing he has limits - and probably won't because of this fuss.

Quite frankly I would be surprised if we get any more of any kind of additional pets now.

I do know the ep team took a choice of either small pets or the vets career and content - and because simmers have repeatedly asked for pets career since Sims 2 - they decided to go with that - which meant small pets were out.

GP packs are destinations or supernatural - so they would not make pets of any kind but fx - which means sims would have no interactions at all with any of those creatures.

So that did only leave Graham and he has limits he has to go through all sorts of approvals to raise them - like he did for our laundry day pack to make it bigger than the rest because it was considered a "special edition pack" - but I would assume in order to cover all kinds of small pets - he would have never gotten that permission for a 10 dollar pack. Of course I can only assume that and it is my opinion - but the fact remains gps and eps were out and the only option was sps or no small pets at all - nor additional C&D stuff either.

I guess I just look at the whole issues as a positive experience - Graham is providing me an option for two things I wanted - small pets and more C & D content for just 10 bucks - in my eyes it is a good thing and something I wanted - so naturally I have a good opinion on getting and wanting this pack.

It is obviously not everyones opinion any more than us choosing what stuff should be in what packs made by what team.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited March 2018
    I agree. Small pets would have been better as a game pack. Also would have allowed the rodents themselves to be more detailed and have like say rats behave differently to hamsters etc.

GPs are destination or supernaturals. For animals in a gp they use FX and sims cannot react to fx programming.... so not possible to be a gp unless they change the formats of gps (is my understanding).

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member

GPs are destination or supernaturals. For animals in a gp they use FX and sims cannot react to fx programming.... so not possible to be a gp unless they change the formats of gps (is my understanding).

Spa Day, Dine Out, and Parenthood are neither destination nor supernatural. In my understanding, the game packs are not limited to themes, but rather how vast content they will cover.