Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with your elders?

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited March 2018
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @Maniac4u Thank for voting :) A simmer after my own heart! :)
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    Other (please specify below)
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    Poor Beathan got hit by a fire trap and it was all my fault because I wanted to rush ahead :(
    40000841945_9a77f977d8_o.jpg
    26022138717_d221880121_o.jpg
    LOL, looks like the same trap tricked my sim.

jFK2ekB.png

I blame her for it though B)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @JoAnne65 Another simmer posted her sim getting burnt in the same trap just the other day! I guess it gets a lot of simmers because the room looks rather innocuous and your eye goes straight to the movable statue.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 Another simmer posted her sim getting burnt in the same trap just the other day! I guess it gets a lot of simmers because the room looks rather innocuous and your eye goes straight to the movable statue.
    Oh haha, missed that :D Yes, as experienced as we they may be, sometimes those tombs still manage to catch us off guard :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    wen15wen15 Posts: 149 Member
    Let them pursue their interests (e.g. painting, music, writing, bar-hopping, etc.)
    I usually play with big families (like 5 kids +) and the grandparents stick around for a while until they die and I make them pursue their hobbies + if they have the cooking skill high, they are the ones who cook every meal. I do not use them as baby sitters because usually there are teenagers in the house or the kids are old enough.

It's funny now because I just married a guy who come from a family 10 (+2 grandkids) to a girl with a single dad (had her when he was a teen) and made them move out so for a first time in a while I'll play without any elders in the household.
    Manila_and_Jason_Wedding_sig.jpg
  • Options
    @wen15 Thank for voting :) I also like big families but can't do it in my current save because I have am playing a shortish lifespan and I forgot to alter pregnancy length. Teens do come in handy as babysitters.
    I hope you don't miss elders too much with your new couple! Of course, depending on your lifespan, you will have elders again one day ;)
  • Options
    Let them pursue their interests (e.g. painting, music, writing, bar-hopping, etc.)
    @Mikezumi haha John and Jordan have such a beautiful extended family, it's too bad they aren't around anymore, but it's nice to see a new addition to the tree. :)
    and yes, it will take some time but soon enough Manila and Jason will be the elders of their household!
  • Options
    @wen15 John and Jordan aren't really gone as their ghosts visit often :) Thanks :)
  • Options
    @Mikezumi oooh that's right! :) (I don't play with ghosts so I hadn't thought about that)
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well...there was just too many elders in the household. >:):D

Screenshot-56.jpg
    Bye-bye Dougal. >:)

Screenshot-56.jpg
    No more jellybeans for you... Molly >:)

Screenshot-127.jpg
    Screenshot-135.jpg
    You just had to taunt the Reaper, eh, Satoshi? >:)

It seems as though the only two that are destined to die of old age...with regards to the Pre-Founder generation is Yasunobu and Fiona.

WillemDafoe_Grin_VirgilCole.jpg
    I'm a mean...one...eh? :D
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer How do you live with yourself? ;)
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Use them as live-in help - babysitting, cooking, gardening, etc.
    Live-in help sounds so... exploitative. :D

But I like to keep my elders around to help with child-raising in particular, as well as just being part of the household. Grandmas and great-grandmas have been really helpful with my toddlers, children and teens, and usually form especially close bonds.

In one case, I chose traits to be particularly useful to a household (I remember Natural Cook, for sure, but forget the others). Now I feel bad for having created a live-in drudge - and an elder at that! Perhaps I'll send Maggie O'Bedlam to University to get something new out of her sunset years. That's a fine idea!
  • Options
    @Sindocat Oops ... it does sound exploitative and I guess I meant it to sound that way but only because I had read so many people over the years saying that the only good thing about grandparents was that they were good for cooking and looking after the kids. It was just a knee-jerk reaction from an old woman who worries that her only worth is her ability to whip up an edible meal and to be available to baby sit when the time comes (my son is a bit young to be a parent yet) ;)

Don't get me wrong - my elders do a lot of cooking, cleaning etc. but, in my case, it's only when they wish it as I would prefer for them to do fun things after they have raised their own families.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Use them as live-in help - babysitting, cooking, gardening, etc.
    Well, on the up-side, I don't make mine get jobs. Mostly they practice their hobbies and work toward lifetime wishes. But seeing the poll, I thought about it, and I did make Maggie O'Bedlam with the idea that she'd be the domestic while her son was off being a musician and pursuing romance... and I try to answer these polls honestly. It makes me think about how I play, and why. Maggie's been a great Sim, and does get plenty of fun. But I am thinking it might be nice to give her an adventure all her own. :)
  • Options
    I must say that in my current save my elders have been doing way more away from the family than ever before. I had seen a suggestion from igazor a while back about sending elders to university and I thought it was a wonderful idea so extended that idea to include travel. Because I am playing on a short lifespan it also gives me more time to enjoy my sims before they die. You should definitely give Maggie a treat!
  • Options
    Beathan's time ran out :'(
    39281965660_3621b03bd8_o.jpg
    39281957770_1f854f4152_o.jpg
    Sam has lost the love of his life :heartbreak:
    39281944040_f3c3c18a74_o.jpg
    41090949441_45dbaae2f4_o.jpg
  • Options
    GemSixxGemSixx Posts: 144 Member
    In all my years of playing, I've never made it past adult.

Completely done with EA

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    My other elders: :)

Screenshot-134.jpg

Screenshot-138.jpg

Nope, they don't stop with their working and inventing - it's because they want to.

Screenshot-110.jpg

Screenshot-80.jpg

Me: I'm just the fickle hand of fate. >:)

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    @GemSixx We all play in our own way. Thanks for voting :)

@Nikkei_Simmer Your elders look happy enough while waiting for your fickle hand of fate ;)
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Move them out (on their own, with other elders or other family members)
    In my current family, the dad ended up being much older than the mom (because who bothers looking at age bars, not me apparently!) and has been an Elder for most of his 2 boys lives. I actually really enjoyed it, the boys and mom all got up at the same time each morning for work and school, while he got to sleep in and meander around doing things he liked. He's 1 day away from his age bar being totally full, and 5 days away from his youngest boy turning into a Young Adult. I'm hoping he at least gets that far!
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    @Goulsquash I hope your sim lives to see his youngest boy grown up!
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Move them out (on their own, with other elders or other family members)
    Another play session down annnnnnd.... WE MADE IT! Now it's a race to the weddings :s
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    @Goulsquash Yay! I just came out of game and was holding my breath as the day went on because Sam is 4 days over the full life bar. I breathed a sigh of relief when midnight came around and I knew he had made it through another day.
  • Options
    Sam is still going strong and is 6 or more days over the full life bar :) Being family oriented, he is a wonderful grandpa when he's not tormenting the kids with cheek pinches ;)
    41086111072_644ce7c651_o.jpg
    39320714850_49f4e26606_o.jpg
    39320713160_eb77ba947e_o.jpg
  • Options
    Sam's time finally ran out :'( He was 7 days over a full life bar.
    26346395947_3de39f9354_o.jpg
    41219547631_8479d71dbf_o.jpg
    41174918232_bffe603fce_o.jpg
    40322616435_728cf704fd_o.jpg