Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuruGrant confirms The Sims 4's future; "We're not going Anywhere"

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited April 2018
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    mcorral wrote: »
    I really don't need more packs, EPs or SPs. This game has been a mess since the beginning due to the change from an online game to an offline one in a rush.

This game is boring, not very well designed, childish, lacking humour and sarcasm. This is the fourth iteration of the game and should be much better. Instead we get a 2.5 iteration. They should already know what people want and what we don't. It's been quite a numer of years with The Sims for them to know.

I'm still playing S3 waiting for The Sims 5.

Sorry, it is my humble opinion.

Then you're going to be waiting some time, my hopeful friend. I've given my opinion on a Sims 5 and it is that there probably won't be one, partly because of all the consoles Sims 4 is being ported to. Now THAT is how you get more customers. And the X-box is yet to finish getting up to date on DLC, during which more DLC is being made for the PC version...

What we want or need is irrellevant - to EA, anyway. They're making more money from Packs than they would if they set up a whole new team for Sims 5. It's true that graphics are more realistic than ever, but those same graphics are expensive and incredibly rough on your system requirements. The graphics of Sims 4 are simple, but ageless.

LOL. Porting this game over to consoles has nothing to do with if there will be a Sims 5 or not. They have been doing that to the best of my knowledge and memory since TS2. Every one of these games have been ported to console. And with $75 Million upfront when the game was in it's first year, I think they can 'afford' a TS5 by now. Graphics are more realistic? Is that some sort of joke? Do you mean they sort of look pixar..yeah, it's not a new thing, either. VR is the new avenue for games, since they already have Sims on the mobile (again). They keep trying that. The Sims Social, The Sims Mobile...and that other one I have forgotten what they called that one (Before The Sims Social).

But EA sometimes lags behind with what is coming for the future, such as VR, they were way behind the curve when it came to social media/mobile games and trying to play catch up. It's not working out all that much (again). Everyone else is moving on to VR. EA is over here screaming look we have a new mobile game! lol

They don't know what people want because they keep hiring developers who don't have any experience with sandbox and The Sims title. So, they develop (TS4) which is chalked full of 'achievements' instead of simulations and sandbox with consequences. I doubt anyone loads TS4 ten years from now and says 'oh wow, these graphics are timeless'. lol Flat paint is not the wave of the future.

Example of stepping backwards: TS2 Sims in my game can easily walk over uneven terrain, it doesn't even have to be slopped. That was something they patched into TS2 years ago. TS3 and TS4 can not.

Only the base game and Pets were. The rest weren’t.

The Sims 4 is porting EVERYTHING over. Like everything. Lol.

And if this comes to the Nintendo Switch, then that’s it. EA will probably gain another several million on the Switch and EA will demand more DLC for the new audience.

Also the Sims Mobile made several million before it was even released officially. It’s doing super well.

VR isn’t as big as what you think it is. VR was a thing back in 2010 and it’s taken 8 years and it’s still not really kicking off at all.

It’s getting known, but there hasn’t been any good selling VR games.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »
    To7m wrote: »
    If you’re happy with 10 game packs, 8 EP’s and TWENTY FOUR stuff packs, you’re nuts.

I hope it ends ASAP and somebody, ANYBODY, makes a real sims game. I’m quite happy to forget TS4 entirely.

—T

After Seasons and a Tropial Vacation Destination I think I'll be ready for TS5. Hopefully no lifestates are left out of the base game.
    TS5 must be realistic, if it's released in 2020 or 2021 as predicted then it'll be ridiculous if it's cartoony style, by that time technology will much more advanced and they don't have to keep coping with people with older PCs, they can still play older Sims..
    TS5 must be like TS3 but with better graphics and much better animation (TS3 animations were very robotics and horrible even with smoother animation on)

There is a difference between Art Style and Graphics. The sims was always meant to be cartoony and whimsical, the more realistic graphics we get the creepier it gets. If sims 5 suddenly got GTA styled graphics or something then that's the day I quit the sims series.
    I on the other hand might pick it up again :mrgreen: Though I agree a more stylized art style suits the game better (and I get the same vibes from those examples as you) but for me, I rather have it leaning towards realism than towards cartoon.

P.s. Sims 3 is as stylized as Sims 4 by the way, just not cartoony.

Sims 3 has beautiful lansacapes, especially for 2009 graphics. I dislike the sims appearance, particularly the males, but that is a personal taste thing.

Sims 3 also isnt border line super realistic, there is a lot of cartoony ness still there, I just feel a lot of the base game animations are robotic since they were mostly copy pasted from sims 2.

They really stepped up their animation game later in development though.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    If you’re happy with 10 game packs, 8 EP’s and TWENTY FOUR stuff packs, you’re nuts.

I hope it ends ASAP and somebody, ANYBODY, makes a real sims game. I’m quite happy to forget TS4 entirely.

—T

After Seasons and a Tropial Vacation Destination I think I'll be ready for TS5. Hopefully no lifestates are left out of the base game.
    TS5 must be realistic, if it's released in 2020 or 2021 as predicted then it'll be ridiculous if it's cartoony style, by that time technology will much more advanced and they don't have to keep coping with people with older PCs, they can still play older Sims..
    TS5 must be like TS3 but with better graphics and much better animation (TS3 animations were very robotics and horrible even with smoother animation on)

There is a difference between Art Style and Graphics. The sims was always meant to be cartoony and whimsical, the more realistic graphics we get the creepier it gets. If sims 5 suddenly got GTA styled graphics or something then that's the day I quit the sims series.
    I on the other hand might pick it up again :mrgreen: Though I agree a more stylized art style suits the game better (and I get the same vibes from those examples as you) but for me, I rather have it leaning towards realism than towards cartoon.

Sims 3 has beautiful lansacapes, especially for 2009 graphics. I dislike the sims appearance, particularly the males, but that is a personal taste thing.

Sims 3 also isnt border line super realistic, there is a lot of cartoony ness still there, I just feel a lot of the base game animations are robotic since they were mostly copy pasted from sims 2.

Animation is my least favorite part of sims 3 so I try not to focus on that when I'm playing. I'm specifically talking about how sims don't fluently switch from one to another. In sims 2 and I think the animations tend to flow smoothly into each other. Sims 3 they return to the starting position and then do the next one. Was awful to see that after playing sims 2 again and going back to 3.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I really don't need more packs, EPs or SPs. This game has been a mess since the beginning due to the change from an online game to an offline one in a rush.

This game is boring, not very well designed, childish, lacking humour and sarcasm. This is the fourth iteration of the game and should be much better. Instead we get a 2.5 iteration. They should already know what people want and what we don't. It's been quite a numer of years with The Sims for them to know.

Then you're going to be waiting some time, my hopeful friend. I've given my opinion on a Sims 5 and it is that there probably won't be one, partly because of all the consoles Sims 4 is being ported to. Now THAT is how you get more customers. And the X-box is yet to finish getting up to date on DLC, during which more DLC is being made for the PC version...

What we want or need is irrellevant - to EA, anyway. They're making more money from Packs than they would if they set up a whole new team for Sims 5. It's true that graphics are more realistic than ever, but those same graphics are expensive and incredibly rough on your system requirements. The graphics of Sims 4 are simple, but ageless.

LOL. Porting this game over to consoles has nothing to do with if there will be a Sims 5 or not. They have been doing that to the best of my knowledge and memory since TS2. Every one of these games have been ported to console. And with $75 Million upfront when the game was in it's first year, I think they can 'afford' a TS5 by now. Graphics are more realistic? Is that some sort of joke? Do you mean they sort of look pixar..yeah, it's not a new thing, either. VR is the new avenue for games, since they already have Sims on the mobile (again). They keep trying that. The Sims Social, The Sims Mobile...and that other one I have forgotten what they called that one (Before The Sims Social).

But EA sometimes lags behind with what is coming for the future, such as VR, they were way behind the curve when it came to social media/mobile games and trying to play catch up. It's not working out all that much (again). Everyone else is moving on to VR. EA is over here screaming look we have a new mobile game! lol

They don't know what people want because they keep hiring developers who don't have any experience with sandbox and The Sims title. So, they develop (TS4) which is chalked full of 'achievements' instead of simulations and sandbox with consequences. I doubt anyone loads TS4 ten years from now and says 'oh wow, these graphics are timeless'. lol Flat paint is not the wave of the future.

Example of stepping backwards: TS2 Sims in my game can easily walk over uneven terrain, it doesn't even have to be slopped. That was something they patched into TS2 years ago. TS3 and TS4 can not.

And if this comes to the Nintendo Switch, then that’s it. EA will probably gain another several million on the Switch and EA will demand more DLC for the new audience.

Also the Sims Mobile made several million before it was even released officially. It’s doing super well.

VR isn’t as big as what you think it is. VR was a thing back in 2010 and it’s taken 8 years and it’s still not really kicking off at all.

I don't think many people realize Twitter and phone texting were around in 2000. Same with VR, it's coming and no one will ever look back. There are like five avenues games can go AR, VR and Cloud are three of them, I can't remember the other two avenues, so will see which way EA decides to move on.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    WinthorpeWinthorpe Posts: 119 Member
    Well, upon reading the title, does "not going anywhere" means the revenue plummets or the developers are tired from develop new contents?
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member

—T

I think the Sims 3 art style in general was all over the place, some things looked stylised, other things looked like they were on the verge of realism, and some things just looked completely rough, outdated and out of place. It's not a bad looking game by any means, but comparing the games appearance to The Sims 4, or even The Sims 2 with how consistent the art styles of those games are, The Sims 3 isn't going to age as well as Sims 4 will.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Winthorpe wrote: »
    Well, upon reading the title, does "not going anywhere" means the revenue plummets or the developers are tired from develop new contents?

It means the Sims 4 is getting packs for probably at least 1-2 more years. The game sales are really good on consoles and PC so they will keep making packs
  • Options

I don't think many people realize Twitter and phone texting were around in 2000. Same with VR, it's coming and no one will ever look back. There are like five avenues games can go AR, VR and Cloud are three of them, I can't remember the other two avenues, so will see which way EA decides to move on.

Texting took off immediately though. VR never has. They had VR sets in TS1 base game, because they were trialing it back then.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member

Texting took off immediately though. VR never has. They had VR sets in TS1 base game, because they were trialing it back then.

Vr is $450.. texting and twitter is not. The sims is a game you put hours and hours into vr is not recommended to play hours and hours on.
  • Options

Vr is $450.. texting and twitter is not. The sims is a game you put hours and hours into vr is not recommended to play hours and hours on.

Don't tell me, tell @Cinebar

VR and The Sims won't work. Not every game works with VR.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Haha sorry @jackjack_k but I do agree with you. Vr is a experience like you mentioned not every game works with the vr.

@Cinebar you can already use the vr for non vr games so unless they add some crazy new feature worth the sims 4 price tag in vr, I wouldn’t see the benefit.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Winthorpe wrote: »

It means the Sims 4 is getting packs for probably at least 1-2 more years. The game sales are really good on consoles and PC so they will keep making packs
    He is only talking about “next year” and the interview is from 2017. He also seems to be impressed by the fact that “next year the game will be 4 years old and we are still here!” So yes, - they will “still be here” in 2018. But the way he says it still just indicate that in 2019 the Sims 5 could likely be released and the Sims 4 teams therefore will have to switch to the new game.
  • Options
    ShaeShae Posts: 303 Member
    edited April 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

Twitter was invented in 2006.

Just a visually impaired gamer who enjoys taking ordinary Sims and making them extraordinary.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WbRQP-PXDpA
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Shae wrote: »

And Facebook was launched in 2004 :)
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    Shae wrote: »

And Facebook was launched in 2004 :)

Well, at least we know it wasn't around in 2000. :p
    Just a visually impaired gamer who enjoys taking ordinary Sims and making them extraordinary.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

—T

That indeed is personal taste, because Sims 3 males are my favourites in the franchise.

mrOUPkb.png

The Silas in the middle for me any time ;) Wouldn't mind him in real life either. Which doesn't mean they couldn't do better, but for me rather along the TS3 line (and 2, the art style between those two games actually is quite similar) than Sims 4.

I also love Sims 3's animations because they are a bit more realistic and not over the top. I just prefer that (which is why I think the game would suit me best with a more realistic approach). I can see how others may find them robotic though, but I think that problem rather lies in between animations really. When we're talking about a future game I'm certain they'll make animations more fluent because technology has improved in that respect.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    filipomel wrote: »

—T

I think the Sims 3 art style in general was all over the place, some things looked stylised, other things looked like they were on the verge of realism, and some things just looked completely rough, outdated and out of place. It's not a bad looking game by any means, but comparing the games appearance to The Sims 4, or even The Sims 2 with how consistent the art styles of those games are, The Sims 3 isn't going to age as well as Sims 4 will.
    I'd like to see some picture examples here, because I've been playing the game for 8 years now and I have no idea what you're referring to. Maybe I got used to it, but I'm really curious to see what you mean. The art style looks quite consistent to me. As far as I'm concerned Sims 3 ages pretty well by the way (considering it's almost ten years old now). Wouldn't know in what way I'd like it different art style wise. Sims 4 graphics are sharper but in other areas it looks horrible. When we're talking about 'all over the place', Sims 4 rather is in that respect.

ballpit.png

rbsyY1l.png
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2018

—T

I'd like to see some picture examples here, because I've been playing the game for 8 years now and I have no idea what you're referring to. Maybe I got used to it, but I'm really curious to see what you mean. The art style looks quite consistent to me. As far as I'm concerned Sims 3 ages pretty well by the way (considering it's almost ten years old now). Wouldn't know in what way I'd like it different art style wise. Sims 4 graphics are sharper but in other areas it looks horrible. When we're talking about 'all over the place', Sims 4 rather is in that respect.

ballpit.png

rbsyY1l.png

I agree with you. These pics make me think of someone trying to enlarge a pic from an old game and it turns out horrible because it just doesn't have enough pixels. I'm sure we've all done that before like take a screen shot and then enlarge an old game. That ball pit and bowl in TS4 look like it was built for a much smaller screen, where we wouldn't notice so much the lack of pixels. And we probably wouldn't on a tiny phone screen (less than phone screen sizes today) lol.

To the person who said Twitter invented in 2006, I knew someone would have to say that, I knew that but was too lazy to say 2000 and 2006 for VR and then Twitter. The point was no one was on Twitter in 2006 and it took over ten years for 'suddenly' everyone to be on Twitter (if they are) and wasn't even a 'thing' in 2006 and not enough for people to know it even exsisted. It took years, just like it will take years for VR.

FB in 2004 yeah, but EA wasn't. And EA wasn't on Twitter in 2006, and EA hasn't developed any VR games yet either that I know about, so that was the point, EA is always behind the curve. It took them years to use FB and Twitter and though VR is the wave of the future EA is convinced it's Cloud gaming foreva.

ETA: But my personal opinion, anyone can build a game these days like an app and all these big companies may be wishing average Joe didn't have that ability because I predict everyday people will over take the gaming industry by storm and in the next few years you see all sorts of games pop up for phone and tablet built by one or two people and big companies wind up competing with average Joe.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

To the person who said Twitter invented in 2006, I knew someone would have to say that, I knew that but was too lazy to say 2000 and 2006 for VR and then Twitter. The point was no one was on Twitter in 2006 and it took over ten years for 'suddenly' everyone to be on Twitter (if they are) and wasn't even a 'thing' in 2006 and not enough for people to know it even exsisted. It took years, just like it will take years for VR.

That would be me.

By 2007 Twitter had over 400,000 tweets posted per quarter and was the 3rd highest ranking social-networking site on the web by 2009. So someone was using it and it didn't take 10 years to "take off', but I get your point.

Whereas VR has been around in some capacity since the late 50's early 60's and is still struggling to get off the ground. At the moment, virtual reality is mostly seen as a novelty (an expensive one at that), but I'm sure at some point it will catch on - it's just a question of when.

I'm not sure if anyone here uses SL, but they released the VR based platform Sansar a while back, which to date has been a critical flop. Whereas on the flipside of that - VRchat has done quite well.

EA may very well come out with some popular (mass produced) VR based games in the future. How or IF that technology is somehow implemented into the Sims series remains to be seen.

Post edited by Shae on

• Options

—T

ballpit.png

rbsyY1l.png

The Sims 3 is aging quite well, all I said is Sims 4 will probably age better, personal opinion of course, by that I mean when you look at the game 20 years from its original release which will look better in its respective time? I'd say the Sims 4 but everyone has personal taste. As for the Sims 3 art style I got a few examples.

Example 1: In this picture you can see the sim sporting a braided/dreadlock hairstyle and a shirt with an iPod and headphones. The hair in some areas looks rather flat and kind of muddy textured, the iPod and headphones are just flat textures on the shirt. Of course those details shouldn't really matter too much since during gameplay you won't really notice the details.
    2n9glty.jpg

Example 2: Now the sim is wearing a curly hairstyle of sorts and a necklace. The hairstyle looks jagged and sharp around the edges while the necklace is just a painted flat texture on her neck, you also got a better look at the flat iPod and headphones. Again, maybe it shouldn't really matter since in gameplay you won't really notice the details zoomed out.
    15eag6s.jpg

Example 3: Another curly hairstyle, very clearly jagged and sharp around the edges.
    28gy04j.jpg

Example 4: Here is where the art style inconsistencies come in. Here you can see the sim wearing a very nice, smooth looking hairstyle, a chocker that's actually modelled in 3D, and a jacket with a tie, the tie which is also modelled in 3D. So while in examples 1 and 2 the accessories are just flat textures (iPod/Headphones, necklace) here they are modelled in 3D, not just the chocker but the shirt accessories as well. And while the hairstyles in the first 3 examples look kind of bad, here it looks good.
    209sfg0.jpg

Example 5: Here is where parts of the game look like they're on the verge of realism, but didn't quite pull it off due to the visuals of the game, and I guess maybe the visual limitations? You can see the sim standing here, a sim who looks quite stylised, standing next to grass textures that look muddy and not really fitting the games aesthetic. Compare the visuals of the sim, to the visuals of the textures on the house, and then the grass, the grass looks out of place.
    2ql8q5d.jpg

Example 6: Last example. Here you can see the sim inside the house with some furniture and plants, the furniture and wall textures look very nice and smooth and fit the games aesthetic quite well, while the plants stand out quite a bit since they don't match the rest of the visuals, again because they look like they're on the verge of realism, but instead look quite muddy.
    xc9hfn.jpg

ALL of this is of course subjective. Maybe I just see things a different way. I just don't understand why some items are fully modelled 3D items, while others are just flat textures, and for some reason these flat textures all look fuzzy around the edges. Again, Sims 3 isn't a bad looking game in my eyes, but the visual inconsistencies, at least for me, are quite noticeable. And I agree, whenever there are items that clearly look out of place in Sims 4 it bothers me, that's why I don't really use CC in 4, even looking at early content the Sims 4 released, specifically hairstyles, some of the items and assets just look gross. To Sims 4's credit, they did update the ball pit model to look less muddy.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    @filipomel Thanks :)
    I absolutely agree concerning the necklace and things like that, in terms of that it looks flat, but I don't quite see how that adresses art style inconsistency. That's comparable to that ball pit or the fruit bowl in Sims 4, or the awfully designed small animals. And most recently the flat hamster habitat tubes that appear to be painted on the wall, totally flat as well. As for the hairstyles, nothing wrong with the first one imo, but the second and the third one are just really poorly done.

Your 'on the verge of realism' isn't on the verge of realism at all.

2ql8q5d.jpg

This is on the verge of realism:

deeca4149d4272e104c16ac6c1545fd8.jpg

Sims 3 is just more detailed than this:

09_12_14_4_48_PM.png

(for me there's inconsistency between that grass and those 3D flowers by the way)
    And Sims 2's grass has in fact the same quality as Sims 3 grass if not more (as do rocks for that matter). The statement "some items are fully modelled 3D items, while others are just flat textures, and for some reason these flat textures all look fuzzy around the edges" actually can be said for Sims 4 as well. The lighting looks realistic, the graphics often are quite sharp, but then there's that ball pit, or the squirrel, or those flat tubes, or the fruit bowl.

TA5CdxM.png

Some clothes are done well, where other clothes suddenly look rushed and poor quality. Sims 4's art style is consistent where it comes to appearance (it all looks like everything's made of rubber and I think that's a deliberate choice). I prefer a stylized look that makes wood look like wood however, rock like rock, skin like skin, fabric like fabric myself but always loyal to the art style. I honestly think that's what you might be confusing here. But again: that's no different for Sims 2. Sims 2's and 3's art styles are very similar, I often confuse them even seeing pictures.

ETA: I think the sim in your example looks more 'stylized' (in terms of low realism) than necessary in the game by the way.

Qvd9SZF.png

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I absolutely agree concerning the necklace and things like that, in terms of that it looks flat, but I don't quite see how that adresses art style inconsistency. That's comparable to that ball pit or the fruit bowl in Sims 4, or the awfully designed small animals. And most recently the flat hamster habitat tubes that appear to be painted on the wall, totally flat as well. As for the hairstyles, nothing wrong with the first one imo, but the second and the third one are just really poorly done.

2ql8q5d.jpg

The statement "some items are fully modelled 3D items, while others are just flat textures, and for some reason these flat textures all look fuzzy around the edges" actually can be said for Sims 4 as well. The lighting looks realistic, the graphics often are quite sharp, but then there's that ball pit, or the squirrel, or those flat tubes, or the fruit bowl.

TA5CdxM.png

Some clothes are done well, where other clothes suddenly look rushed and poor quality. Sims 4's art style is consistent where it comes to appearance (it all looks like everything's made of rubber and I think that's a deliberate choice). I prefer a stylized look that makes wood look like wood however, rock like rock, skin like skin, fabric like fabric myself but always loyal to the art style. I honestly think that's what you might be confusing here. But again: that's no different for Sims 2. Sims 2's and 3's art styles are very similar, I often confuse them even seeing pictures.

Perhaps it's not so much art style inconsistencies, but more so just inconsistencies with the quality of assets we get, I just feel like a lot of the stuff in 3 is a mixed bag of good quality assets and questionable assets. I don't think the small animals in 4 are that bad in my honest opinion, but those flat hamster habitat tubes are just wall decals, I don't think they are or were supposed to be 3D models or anything, although that would have been pretty cool.

I may be wrong when I say "verge on realism," but by that I mean instead of the grass looking like a grass texture that fits the Sims overall aesthetic, it kind of just looks like a picture of grass that was taken with a camera.

As for fuzzy Sims 4 objects, I agree, some objects look like they could've been done better, the fruit bowl I don't mind as it's a pretty small object just for décor, but something like the ball pit on its release was absolutely ugly, and for such a big object too, in terms of its actual size but also the fact that it was one of the main features of the pack, thank goodness they updated it.

Personally I just think Sims 4 delivers much better quality assets and items overall than 3 and even 2, especially considering how much I adore the Sims 4 overall aesthetic. I still do like the Sims 3 visuals, it's an iconic look that really can't be replicated in other games, it also holds a lot of nostalgia for me as Sims 3 was my first Sims game back in the day.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    For me, The Sims 3 really lets itself down in its world and it’s Sims.

The Sims don’t match the artsyle at all, and always stand out as Cartoon dolls in a realistic world.

And then you have realistic looking assests throughout the world mixed with unrealistic buildings (Rabbit Holes mostly) and unrealistic terrain. The terraforming in the Sims 3 looks like play doh and it’s super distracting with all the realistic flora and trees.

While TS4 has some occasional poor assets, it’s the first time on PC since the original where the Sims actually look like they belong inside the world they live in.

The Sims 3 mixed realism with cartoon looking Rabbit Holes, Sims and terrain and it never worked for me.

YET in Medievil, they changed all the flora and world to a more cartoony look, and I feel like that game has aged much better.

• Options
    edited April 2018

2ql8q5d.jpg

The statement "some items are fully modelled 3D items, while others are just flat textures, and for some reason these flat textures all look fuzzy around the edges" actually can be said for Sims 4 as well. The lighting looks realistic, the graphics often are quite sharp, but then there's that ball pit, or the squirrel, or those flat tubes, or the fruit bowl.

TA5CdxM.png

Perhaps it's not so much art style inconsistencies, but more so just inconsistencies with the quality of assets we get, I just feel like a lot of the stuff in 3 is a mixed bag of good quality assets and questionable assets. I don't think the small animals in 4 are that bad in my honest opinion, but those flat hamster habitat tubes are just wall decals, I don't think they are or were supposed to be 3D models or anything, although that would have been pretty cool.

I may be wrong when I say "verge on realism," but by that I mean instead of the grass looking like a grass texture that fits the Sims overall aesthetic, it kind of just looks like a picture of grass that was taken with a camera.

As for fuzzy Sims 4 objects, I agree, some objects look like they could've been done better, the fruit bowl I don't mind as it's a pretty small object just for décor, but something like the ball pit on its release was absolutely ugly, and for such a big object too, in terms of its actual size but also the fact that it was one of the main features of the pack, thank goodness they updated it.

Personally I just think Sims 4 delivers much better quality assets and items overall than 3 and even 2, especially considering how much I adore the Sims 4 overall aesthetic. I still do like the Sims 3 visuals, it's an iconic look that really can't be replicated in other games, it also holds a lot of nostalgia for me as Sims 3 was my first Sims game back in the day.
    I agree items in 3 can look surprisingly well and others surprisingly poor (like the shiny basegame clothes for instance), but my point is I just don’t see any difference in that respect with Sims 4, since the same happens in that game. The only difference is that one is a 2009 game and the other 2014, so in some respects graphics improved. But Sims 3’s landscaping isn’t aiming to be realistic, it’s all stylized. I remember showing an ingame picture of China once to my father who is an avid Tomb Raider player and he sort of giggled. Clearly used to a very realistic art style and not understanding stylized can have charm too.

The cartoon doll accusation, sorry, but that comes down to the time you are prepared to spend in CAS (JackJack), apart from the fact you’re highly exaggerating the ‘reality’ of landscape and items in the game there to make your point. I mean, it’s far from this.

Who-Framed-Roger-Rabbit-Netflix.jpg

In fact it’s often the other way around for me when people cover their sims in realistic CC. Then they quite often look out of place in their stylized environment (but the very same thing goes for Sims 4, I also see that when people have grass replacements but the trees still have their PlayMobil appearance). Sims 3’s art style (and Sims 2’s) is trying to approach reality more than than Sims 4’s, but in Sims 3’s case that includes the sims. They are not cartoony, they just have a tendency to look puffy when you don’t use the facial sliders, but that’s up to the creator.

Art style is a matter of taste, but for me - despite the banana skins that also hit Sims 4 - they did a more than fine job. I often pause and awe in the game and that can happen with both landscapes and my sims. And their houses for that matter.

As for the squirrels not being that bad...

the_sims_4___squirrel_by_bmts4photography-d8h5l9p.png

We all have out own standards then ;) To me they don’t exactly fit the art style to say the least.

(I’d like to see an example of a cartoon looking rabbithole by the way, I have no idea what rabbitholes you are referring to there)(and if anything the somewhat more realistic sims in Medieval in fact mismatch more with the more cartoony environment, not less, though I like the art style in that game as well; in fact I was hoping Sims 4 would bring us something like that)

ETA: found this picture of a typical Sims 3 landscape. Grass, plants, trees, the far away montains, the rocks, I can’t but find it all completely matching (and gorgeous but that’s me).

Raven_036_zps826dd180.png

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 oh when you said squirrels I thought you were talking about the rodents in MFPS, on that note I agree, those squirrels look rediculous, good thing they’re such a minor aesthetic piece in the environment.