Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get To Work should be removed from Origin until it's Playable

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Hmmm, what's wrong with using debug codes? I think some people get icky about them because they're called "cheat codes" but they're not cheating. It's just a toggle for more advanced tools that many people don't want to use. I use them in all sims games that I play. Before Sims 3 gave L shaped stairs, I used "placefriezes on" or whatever it was to allow me to stack foundation pieces indoors and create L and U shaped stairs, for instance. I wasn't cheating at the sims when I did that; I was using tools. Now, with testing cheats on of course you can use actual cheats like filling needs and teleporting sims and I'm sure tons of other things. But the advanced build tools? Nah.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2017
    @EA_Lanna @EA_Mage Wouldn't this thread be more appropriate in the bug section since it is discussing bugs and probably would be easier for the QA Gurus to address those said bugs being there? I linked the bugs that some of the EPs that Simmers have been experiencing. I think the most important thing is to get those bugs addressed since it seems to be causing some distress being in this section of these boards. I know I want these bugs fixed.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited November 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Basically you admit The Sims 2 system was slap dash, but “it’s fine” because the Sims 4 also reuses it’s own systems. That’s basically what you’re saying.

“That’s the way Maxis made it”

Joke of the century right there. That’s the way Maxis made it because Maxis couldn’t be bothered finishing it or making it available as a proper feature, so Maxis made is available via cheats where only hardcore fans would be able to access it and then say “oh, if it breaks your game, that’s what will happen using cheats!”

I mean, think about it. You’re buying a pack called Apartment Life, and the main selling point isn’t allowing people to build their own apartments.

You have to use debug cheats, rather than EA actually making a quality build mode system that would allow players to build their own with no issues.

And you also failed to bring up anything that suggests Apartment Life brought anything meaningful to the table, that wasnt recycled from University.

Just because The Sims 4 is guilty of something, doesn’t mean The Sims 2 gets a free pass.

That doesn’t make any sense.

The Sims 2 was an amazing game, but Free Time, Apartment Life and The Sims 2 store was exactly when The Sims became The Sims that it is today.

The Sims 2 was the first game to even attempt bringing apartments to the series, hence why we expect the features to be less evolved than in the future sequels (which is why I suggested that if The Sims 4 is this limited, they should try stuff never seen before in the series, at least then we can call it original). You know what's sad here? The Sims 2 offered the most robust best apartment system available in the series. You had to use a debug cheat to build them yes, but you had to do that in The Sims 3 too (and have only one family in an apartment at a time that you can control), but hey, at least those apartments still were not stationary world pieces like the ones in City Living are, meaning that apartments are only available in one very small piece of the game.

I have used the witches in The Sims 2 a lot and it's a pretty well done supernatural stage. I can not say that City Living has even given us a supernatural stage.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Basically you admit The Sims 2 system was slap dash, but “it’s fine” because the Sims 4 also reuses it’s own systems. That’s basically what you’re saying.

Joke of the century right there. That’s the way Maxis made it because Maxis couldn’t be bothered finishing it or making it available as a proper feature, so Maxis made is available via cheats where only hardcore fans would be able to access it and then say “oh, if it breaks your game, that’s what will happen using cheats!”

I mean, think about it. You’re buying a pack called Apartment Life, and the main selling point isn’t allowing people to build their own apartments.

You have to use debug cheats, rather than EA actually making a quality build mode system that would allow players to build their own with no issues.

And you also failed to bring up anything that suggests Apartment Life brought anything meaningful to the table, that wasnt recycled from University.

Just because The Sims 4 is guilty of something, doesn’t mean The Sims 2 gets a free pass.

The Sims 2 was an amazing game, but Free Time, Apartment Life and The Sims 2 store was exactly when The Sims became The Sims that it is today.

The Sims 2 was the first game to even attempt bringing apartments to the series, hence why we expect the features to be less evolved than in the future sequels (which is why I suggested that if The Sims 4 is this limited, they should try stuff never seen before in the series, at least then we can call it original). You know what's sad here? The Sims 2 offered the most robust best apartment system available in the series. You had to use a debug cheat to build them yes, but you had to do that in The Sims 3 too (and have only one family in an apartment at a time that you can control), but hey, at least those apartments still were not stationary world pieces like the ones in City Living are, meaning that apartments are only available in one very small piece of the game.

I have used the witches in The Sims 2 a lot and it's a pretty well done supernatural stage. I can not say that City Living has even given us a supernatural stage.

I agree with post and in Sims 2 one was able to build Apts anywhere in the game but in CL forget it. and CL supposed to be the better EP? Still scratching my head and what makes it worse this is 2017 and not early 2000. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited December 2017
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Considering I only use the Scientist Career in the pack how is it 75% broken and unplayable? I never really liked this pack because I felt they could have done the retail part in another EP and focused more on it.

Detective career completely broken with the clues, to a point where it's pointless to use it.
    You can not make money using retail, as stores will be used as gossip centers rather than stores.
    Pregnant women do not come in for certain promotions for the doctors career. Patients get reset while getting tested, making it impossible to progress.
    Alien facial features warp upon aging up.
    I never liked GTW so I am not going to say that I don't believe you all I have ever used is the scientist career in it and I don't like any of those careers because I rather not go with them and do the same things everyday to be promoted thats boring to me. Also you don't make any money selling stuff you would constantly have to be there and that doesn't work when you have more then one sim.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @mirta000 wrote: »

Not true, The Urbz provided Apartments and Penthouses with Ease.

EA just didn’t finish Apartment Life which is why they are blocked behind debug cheats.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited December 2017

EA just didn’t finish Apartment Life which is why they are blocked behind debug cheats.

The Urbz had no build mode. What you saw was what you got, and there was just one residence to every apartment. They were just like Sims 4’s apartments (terrible) with even fewer options. Do you even know what Sims 2 apartments were like? Because they are entirely different from Sims 4 or Urbz or Sims 3.

I don’t know where you got the idea that EA didn’t finish AL. Certainly you wouldn’t make something like that up would you?............. Regardless it’s not true, the setup to build apartments is exactly the same for any other specialty zone so frankly I don’t see what isn’t finished about it. Because they didn’t make building an apartment an advertised part of the pack? Times were different back then, the company didn’t have such a small field of view when building the packs they made; unlike now where options simply don’t exist because they are outside the scope of Maxis ‘vision’.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    It. does. not. work.
    Talk about it being "Get to work".... *snickers*

The New Slogan: The Sims 4 Get to Work-- (but) It doesn't work.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited December 2017

The Urbz had no build mode. What you saw was what you got, and there was just one residence to every apartment. They were just like Sims 4’s apartments (terrible) with even fewer options. Do you even know what Sims 2 apartments were like? Because they are entirely different from Sims 4 or Urbz or Sims 3.

I don’t know where you got the idea that EA didn’t finish AL. Certainly you wouldn’t make something like that up would you?............. Regardless it’s not true, the setup to build apartments is exactly the same for any other specialty zone so frankly I don’t see what isn’t finished about it. Because they didn’t make building an apartment an advertised part of the pack? Times were different back then, the company didn’t have such a small field of view when building the packs they made; unlike now where options simply don’t exist because they are outside the scope of Maxis ‘vision’.

It’s true, they didn’t have a build mode. But you could completely redecorate. But considering the tech involved, it made sense that players couldn’t rebuild Apartments. They were literally proper Apartments, attached to buildings (like City Living/Late Night) which for 2004 was quite incredible and it’s obvious they didn’t make them like a traditional Sims house with in-game tools.

Lmao, there’s nothing terrible about Sims 4 Apartments. Missteps? Sure.
    But had we got City Living Apartments in The Sims 2, people would have defended them like crazy.

The Sims 2 Apartments are basically glorified Units. Not Apartment blocks anyway.
    All the pre-built ones are Units/Townhouses.

The Sims 3 offered Apartments with no Neighbours. Oh so realistic, right?

So far it’s the only Sims game that lets you rebuild them without entering some form of messy debug code, and actually giving you an Apartment. Not a unit. Not an empty building besides your family.

I got the idea they didn’t finish it because that’s truth.

Build Mode is one of three key features of The Sims. Them not making “special lots” buildable with no reason as to why (because they’re is clearly nothing they do that we can’t) is just pure laziness. They didn’t want to do the extra work to make sure the features weren’t buggy, so they cut them off. There is NO other reason why we can’t build our own venues as part of the game.

And yes, I have played Apartment Life. The Sims 2 is my favourite game. But there are a lot of lazy aspects about it which I know of because I was on The Sims 2 forums, which trust me, weren’t the rainbows and butterflies people claim the Sims 2 to be. Even then people complained the content seemed to be cut short in a lot of ways.

The amount of times I’ve build an Apartment that became corrupted is just too many.

Your whole game can be corrupted if you use terrain tools of any kind on Apartment block or choose a lot that isn’t flat. Do you know how hard it is to find an area of a Sims 2 map that’s flat and never not been flat?

That’s why EA didn’t make them build able. Not because of any “scope” or whatever excuse that was

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Building_an_Apartment

And you contradict yourself majorly. You say they didn’t advertise building your own Apartment in The Sims 2 because they didn’t have such a “narrow field of view” despite the fact that a Pack called “Apartment Life” in The Sims doesn’t officially support building an Apartment.

How does that even make sense? :joy:

I can at least admit City Living Apartments aren’t perfect, but it seems like people will sheepily defend The Sims 2 & 3, and not realise how stupid they sound defending something that would be called Lazy today.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

It’s true, they didn’t have a build mode. But you could completely redecorate. But considering the tech involved, it made sense that players couldn’t rebuild Apartments. They were literally proper Apartments, attached to buildings (like City Living/Late Night) which for 2004 was quite incredible and it’s obvious they didn’t make them like a traditional Sims house with in-game tools.

Lmao, there’s nothing terrible about Sims 4 Apartments. Missteps? Sure.
    But had we got City Living Apartments in The Sims 2, people would have defended them like crazy.

The Sims 2 Apartments are basically glorified Units. Not Apartment blocks anyway.
    All the pre-built ones are Units/Townhouses.

The Sims 3 offered Apartments with no Neighbours. Oh so realistic, right?

So far it’s the only Sims game that lets you rebuild them without entering some form of messy debug code, and actually giving you an Apartment. Not a unit. Not an empty building besides your family.

I got the idea they didn’t finish it because that’s truth.

Build Mode is one of three key features of The Sims. Them not making “special lots” buildable with no reason as to why (because they’re is clearly nothing they do that we can’t) is just pure laziness. They didn’t want to do the extra work to make sure the features weren’t buggy, so they cut them off. There is NO other reason why we can’t build our own venues as part of the game.

And yes, I have played Apartment Life. The Sims 2 is my favourite game. But there are a lot of lazy aspects about it which I know of because I was on The Sims 2 forums, which trust me, weren’t the rainbows and butterflies people claim the Sims 2 to be. Even then people complained the content seemed to be cut short in a lot of ways.

And you contradict yourself majorly. You say they didn’t advertise building your own Apartment in The Sims 2 because they didn’t have such a “narrow field of view” despite the fact that a Pack called “Apartment Life” in The Sims doesn’t officially support building an Apartment.

How does that even make sense? :joy:

I can at least admit City Living Apartments aren’t perfect, but it seems like people will sheepily defend The Sims 2 & 3, and not realise how stupid they sound defending something that would be called Lazy today.

1. Please stop making stuff up. The ‘apartments’ in Urbz aren’t “proper apartments”. One floor, minimal redecorating (not even wall/floor coverings), SMALL, and the ‘buildings’ you mention they are connected to are the equivalent of the decoration in SM. There’s nothing incredible about it, literally (just like SM in Sims 4) it’s all decorations. Props. Set dressing. Not even interactive either! I think you are selectively remembering The Urbz. Was it a good game? Sure, was it a technologically revolutionary game? No, it wasn’t. Moving on... Yes, Sims 2 apartments were units. Up to 4 inhabitable one’s on a single lot. So what’s glorified? Sims 4s version is a glorified unit, the unit is the entire lot. Any other unit in the decorative building is a completely different lot. The hallway? Not even part of a lot, it’s a prop.
    2. Don’t know why you’re bringing up Sims 3.
    3. You can’t build apartments in Sims 4. You can decorate the interiors of existing ones and that is all. I’d argue that Sims 4 apartments are less than believable, I mean there is no lobby. What kind of mega apartment complex has no lobby? Heck, the nicer ones have built in amenities like fitness centers, spas, and business lounges. All of that is possible in Sims 2 and 3, but not in 4! Lol
    4. Not sure what you’re saying with the build mode section. Are you acknowledging that it’s laziness that resulted in our inability to build apartments? There are plenty of lots in Sims 4 that aren’t available for the player to place.
    5. I don’t see how anything I said contradicts anything else I said? The Sims 2 AL was about living in apartments, not about building them but that was still a function that could be accomplished in game. Sims 4 CL created this narriative - remember when they said they made apartments decoration because the pack was called city Living? Well take that ignorant logic and apply it to other packs and you will see how ridiculous and nonsensical of an excuse it was.
    6. And you say you will admit they aren’t perfect, and then then proceed to call others sheep. First of all you are such a hypocrite. You mention some very minor greviences with 4 and then go on the assault with 2 and 3. You can’t seriously sit there and say you admit Sims 4 has flaws, because you don’t. You only mention them as a doorway to trashing previous games to try and make yourself feel better about 4.
  • Options
    MellonuialMellonuial Posts: 47 Member
    :confounded: Okay, what say we stop bashing each other and the game and get back to the original topic of this thread.

Yes, GTW is bugged, and many players are disappointed by the quality of its content. However, that does not give us the right to demand that a company to remove a product from its store, whether it be online or storefront. My experience with GTW has been mixed, but I have not had to deal with the extreme bugs described above. And demand for Aliens is still apparently still there. So write an online review. Contact Origin directly and share your concerns. Unhappy customers are not good for them either.

As for the individual bugs, there is a forum for that. And separate threads for CL and GT as well. Not to mention an entire section devoted to legacy Sims games. I've never played TS2 and am guessing many others haven't either.

If you purchased an EP without waiting to see what kinds of issues came along for the ride, chalk it up to a life lesson. I had a bad feeling about Cats&Dogs given the complexity of the AI involved in making the animals autonomous, so I did not pre-order it. I waited to see what would happen and am glad I did so. All the patching before it dropped has caused a never ending string of bugs for Vampires and disrupted vanilla game play enough already. I don't need an infested EP on top of it.

So please calm down. Write in your journal. Wind down with some classical music. Take a relaxing bath or shower. Purchase a moodlet modifier. But give the programmers time. Or better yet, get a degree in coding and create your own game. There is an old joke among programmers: 90% of computer problems can be found between the chair and the screen >:)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2017
    @EA_Mage @EA_Lanna @EA_Spectre @EA_Leeloo I get that Sims 4 players don't like being called sheep and we have been told multiple times by mods not to do so, but I don't think it is right for them to call other people sheep or stupid either. It gets tiring when threads are made just to rile and bash Simmers in instead of actually talking about fixing bugs or even about the game itself. I think anytime "hater" or "sheep" or "stupid" or "fangirl" for example gets used just ends up causing fights and it keeps being allowed which I don't think it is right. Please handle this and honestly I would be fine with rules being stricter about this.

@SimQARobo @SimGuruNick @SimGuruArvin please address the bugs mentioned in this thread.

Makes me wonder with all the insults said on forums with those that do celebrate the holidays, are they really trying to get on the naughty list this year:grey_question:
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited December 2017
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Get to Work is just an all around disgrace.

The gameplay itself needs to be redesigned. It offers THE most confining, boring, and uninspired gameplay out of all of The Sims' packs yet.

I feel like both The Sims 2 and 3 delivered worse packs. Apartment Life is still the poorest excuse for an Expansion ever.

It literally repurposed Uni dorms and added the most basic Witches ever. That’s it. There’s no new purposeful gameplay at all.

Yet people, since TS3, have been begging EA to re-implement the apartment system as it was in TS2, and EA has failed to deliver these functional apartments not once, but twice. We still have yet to get apartments which allow us to build them on any lot we chose, visit Sims in other apartments without loading screens, and have actual roommates we cannot control but bring income, like TS2's apartments.

I do certainly agree apartments could have fit well in Nightlife, though. However, whether you like the fact that apartments were their own pack or not, AL is just another example of TS2's developers having a well-thought out theme in mind, and delivering it as promised.

No doubt behind that, but to their credit, the Sims 2 has a very basic world system, which will have it's advatages.
    It's probably not possible in a semi-open or open enviroment, or they would have done it.

Considering they programmed multiple lots within multiple lots with City Living, sounds like much harder work than having one lot sectioned up. They literally had to rework Sims 4 worlds to allow Apartments to happen.

Apartment Life has a better system, but it's still a very small EP. The Sims 2 had built it's reputation by then, and so people let it slide. But if we had Apartment Life instead of City Living, it would have been dragged to the pits of hell even further.

Witches would have been considered half baked, and people would have complained about a lack of gameplay.

I'd go a few further, and say that Free Time & Generations would have had threads saying "it should have been a Game Pack".

Sims 4 has no programming for lots inside lots, if it did then maybe we wouldn’t have gotten the pathetic excuse for apartments that we got. Sims 2 AL was probably the best EP to end an iteration, period; I mean really the pack itself was not by any means light on content. It added a bunch of brand new venue types, an entire reputation system, witches (both good and bad), roommates (which did exactly what they were supposed to do! Unlike any NPC in Sims 4) AND they added what would layer be hailed as the best implementation of apartments The Sims has ever seen. You can place them in any world, and build them yourself with no limits other than a 4 household limit (the remainder are NPCs). To sit there and say ‘oh but it’s a small EP...’ like - what? It’s probably one of the most compelling expansions Sims 2 ever got, but clearly you refuse to acknowledge that because you’re dead set on painting Sims 4 as perfect while saying the first Sims 4 EP is trash. Make up your mind.

Yes it does. An apartment in The Sims 4 is a bunch of lots within one lot that’s within one hood.

And you’re explanation on Apartement Life proves how tiny the expansion was.

People will defend anything from The Sims 2 era.
    It added next to nothing.

What compelling gameplay did AL add?

The reputation system and social groups were basically illusions of gameplay that did nothing. We couldn’t even control them.
    Break dancing was there to fill space.

Apartments are literally just recoded University dorms.

And may I remind you, you actually can’t build Apartments in The Sims 2, unless you enter debug mode because they didn’t finish the EP to allow you to do it properly, and if it corrupted your Neighborhood, it was too bad, too sad.

Also, where did I say Get To Work is trash? It’s amazing, it’s just disgusting that it’s been unplayable for so long.

As someone who went back to Sims 2 recently I have to agree with you. A lot of Sims 2 expansions feel hollow to me after revisiting. While not horrible by any means Apartment Life would only be a game pack in Sims 4. The apartments in City Living are more interesting to me because of the city world and atmosphere you get. I definitely wish we could build apartments in every world but I enjoy apartments in Sims 4 a lot. Revisiting Sims 2 and 3 made me realize how much I enjoy so much about 4.

Edited to add : The Sims 2 Night Life is the best expansion in The Sims series! The amount of content it added was amazing.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited December 2017

I let's played the Urbz even. There was 1 apartment per level. Aka you press on the map to go to a place, they load you into an "apartment", in reality it was 5 rooms and barely any outside decor. It would be no different than loading into a house on the floor, except that you couldn't leave to the outside. There was no apartment building, no going outside the apartment, no going to a different apartment in the same building. They were apartments in the sense that they had a different backdrop, that is it, really at most they were elevated levels.

As for "completely redecorating" the game sold at most like 40 different objects if you scoured the shops well enough. It had no build/ buy mode. Urbz had less redecorating capability than The Sims 1 as it was not meant to simulate that area.
    alan650111 wrote: »

As someone who went back to Sims 2 recently I have to agree with you. A lot of Sims 2 expansions feel hollow to me after revisiting. While not horrible by any means Apartment Life would only be a game pack in Sims 4. The apartments in City Living are more interesting to me because of the city world and atmosphere you get. I definitely wish we could build apartments in every world but I enjoy apartments in Sims 4 a lot. Revisiting Sims 2 and 3 made me realize how much I enjoy so much about 4.

Edited to add : The Sims 2 Night Life is the best expansion in The Sims series! The amount of content it added was amazing.

Let's break down what TS2 apartments offered:

Witches - would be a GP on its own in TS4
    Apartments + a world - well according to CL that is its own EP worth of content
    Apartment building - impossible in TS4 entirely, so they will simply never introduce this feature
    Roomates - would probably be put into a SP considering how butlers got treated
    Reputation system - considering parenthood that would work as a GP on its own

compatibility with other EPs:

if you have Pets you will be able to own spectral cats for Witches. Considering that pets in TS have no reaction to vampires, we pretty much know that in TS4 that would never be the case.

So so far Apartment Life offered 1 EP, 2 GPs and 1SP worth of content in TS4 standards.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top