Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not enough animal objects

I just finished watching SpringSim's review on the build/buy catalog and one thing that I noticed is that there are not enough pet objects.
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely adore the furnishing that we're getting. I love the style and the rural feel that it has. And there's really a lot of furnishing and decor for sims. However, when it comes to pet objects, the pack falls short.
There are only 2 thin pet beds/mats, 4 litter boxes (Because EA prioritizes toilets over everything), a ball (for dogs), 1 feather thingy for cats (that takes up 2 slots, because WE NEED TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE MORE), 2 toy boxes, and about 7-8 obstacle course thingies. Everything else is intended for human sims.
Again, and I repeat myself, I like the furniture, I just feel like an expansion pack that had small animals cut out so that it could focus exclusively on cats and dogs could have more pet objects in it.
Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I just finished watching SpringSim's review on the build/buy catalog and one thing that I noticed is that there are not enough pet objects.
    Don't get me wrong. I absolutely adore the furnishing that we're getting. I love the style and the rural feel that it has. And there's really a lot of furnishing and decor for sims. However, when it comes to pet objects, the pack falls short.
    There are only 2 thin pet beds/mats, 4 litter boxes (Because EA prioritizes toilets over everything), a ball (for dogs), 1 feather thingy for cats (that takes up 2 slots, because WE NEED TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE MORE), 2 toy boxes, and about 7-8 obstacle course thingies. Everything else is intended for human sims.
    Again, and I repeat myself, I like the furniture, I just feel like an expansion pack that had small animals cut out so that it could focus exclusively on cats and dogs could have more pet objects in it.

Was this he only site you read? Did you cross check this info with other sites? This person may have missed things that others saw.
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Was this he only site you read? Did you cross check this info with other sites? This person may have missed things that others saw.

I have checked multiple articles and videos by now and it always shows these two rugs - One big square one and one small round one. Literally not a single one other pet bed. And the other amount of items is the same I counted too :|
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    yeah I'm hotly anticipating the game play live stream because I agree that concentrating solely on Cats and Dogs at the expense of horses and small animals should mean we're spoilt for choice for items relating to dogs and cats.
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    yeah I'm hotly anticipating the game play live stream because I agree that concentrating solely on Cats and Dogs at the expense of horses and small animals should mean we're spoilt for choice for items relating to dogs and cats.

From what I've seen in the influencer's game play reviews it's all pretty basic gameplay: fetch, cuddle, praise, reprimand, kiss, hug, feed, gave a bath, etc.
    Dogs can drink out of the toilet and roll in dirt.
    Dogs can swim in pools.
    Cats jump on stuff.
    The end.

Ah I didn't realise the embargo was lifted - I'll have a look now.

I think it is a disappointment that there's fewer items but I am not surprised really. The pack will still keep me busy for a little while and I really love the look and feel of the new world. I have a feeling that there will be a stuff pack or something related to Pets, but could argue we shouldn't need one if the expansion was done right.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

From what I've seen in the influencer's game play reviews it's all pretty basic gameplay: fetch, cuddle, praise, reprimand, kiss, hug, feed, gave a bath, etc.
    Dogs can swim in pools.
    Cats jump on stuff.
    The end.
    It's like... the exact same thing they did in previous games... Nothing seems new...
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    edited October 2017
    JimG72 wrote: »

Dogs can swim in pools.
    Cats jump on stuff.
    The end.

So....basically the things that dogs and cats do in real life...and the interactions that people have with dogs and cats in real life.

Yes. And it's fine. I just wish a pack that left out small animals in favor of focusing on only 2 animal types, had more interactions for the 2 animal types mentioned.
    We had most of these interactions in the previous Pets packs. And much more. We also had more animals.
    I guess I just don't understand how they can say that the reason for small pets being not included is that they wanted to focus more on cats and dogs, yet cats and dogs only have basic features that we've already had in previous games.
    I don't want to pay the same price for less features.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    What about the cat jungle things? There’s a variety of those as well, also a scratching post, a pet crate (not sure if it’s functional or not), in the toy boxes I’m almost certain that it comes with a variety of toys, but probably all function the same either way, the amount of items they have seem pretty standard for a pets EP in terms of unique items, sure some extra remodels of various items would’ve been nice. Honestly my biggest hope with this EP is the pets interactions and behaviour with normal everyday objects, I wanna see the variety in how pets interact with normal things around the house. I’ve watched a couple of videos already, dogs can drink out of the toilet, can play in trash, cats can jump on pretty much anything, I’m hoping to see some more interactions, like with dogs possibly trying to open up the fridge to eat out of it, or a cat knocking over a chair, dog trying to take a toddlers toy away, cat playing with a sink faucet, etc. They probably didn’t get this detailed with the pets in this EP, but as long as they have some basic household interactivity would go a long way.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    suffice it to say then by eliminating small pets that's how the vet clinic came to be? something had to give, i'm assuming. i am curious why they provided agility course however, no competitions. when you compare game play to game play from previous versions i can see where people are disappointed and rightly so. i didn't play TS1 so i don't have any experience with that pet EP. however, from TS3 i enjoyed training the horse and then entering competitions, which again you can't do with this version.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    filipomel wrote: »
    What about the cat jungle things? There’s a variety of those as well, also a scratching post, a pet crate (not sure if it’s functional or not), in the toy boxes I’m almost certain that it comes with a variety of toys, but probably all function the same either way, the amount of items they have seem pretty standard for a pets EP in terms of unique items, sure some extra remodels of various items would’ve been nice. Honestly my biggest hope with this EP is the pets interactions and behaviour with normal everyday objects, I wanna see the variety in how pets interact with normal things around the house. I’ve watched a couple of videos already, dogs can drink out of the toilet, can play in trash, cats can jump on pretty much anything, I’m hoping to see some more interactions, like with dogs possibly trying to open up the fridge to eat out of it, or a cat knocking over a chair, dog trying to take a toddlers toy away, cat playing with a sink faucet, etc. They probably didn’t get this detailed with the pets in this EP, but as long as they have some basic household interactivity would go a long way.

Sorry, I did forget to mention a scratching post and the pet jungle thingy. But still, these are all basic things that we had in the previous iterations that also included more animals. How can a pack that only focuses on cats and dogs have less objects for cats and dogs than previous Pet packs that also included horses, hamsters, birds and a Unicorn?
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

Oh yeah, that's true. Seeing how well pets are integrated into everyday things is part of the experience. Come to think of it, it would be kind of cool if cats could climb onto trees, but I doubt we'll have that since it seems kind of difficult to program especially with the varying tree sizes. It would at least justify having firefighters in the game, though. :D

I still do agree with the OP that we could use more items, though. I'm not so disappointed that it would be a dealbreaker for me, but I'd appreciate having 4 pet beds and 4 dog houses for variety. Or maybe even three. Our sims have different tastes after all. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options

And that's the thing, they didn't. They didn't go into detail, just as usual. We have basic interactions, but not much beyond that.

• Options

Dogs can swim in pools.
    Cats jump on stuff.
    The end.

So....basically the things that dogs and cats do in real life...and the interactions that people have with dogs and cats in real life.
    It's the same things they did in previous Pets EP. But they promised us that pets would be so much better and more unique and the best thing we'll ever see. It's simply not how they described it. All these things have been in TS3. I can admit that cats didn't jump on fridges, but they did jump on counters which comes pretty close in my book.
    The only difference I see so far is that pets bring their food bowls to you and wait at the door when they want to pee, and the training skill. But that's not enough to justify the things they cut out and it's not that much of a difference to previous pets.

Don't forget the roomba. Cats can also ride the roomba thingy.
    PLEASE EA TAKE MY MONEY

• Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

And that's the thing, they didn't. They didn't go into detail, just as usual. We have basic interactions, but not much beyond that.

i'm curious as to how much of the details you highlighted are even possible. i mean for instance now, sims don't recognize furniture to even knock a piece over. Instead they walk through it like it isn't there. so how much of the interactions that people desire, are even doable? i'm not saying they aren't good ideas, i'm just curious as to whether they can be done. One thing i dislike tremendously is that fish tanks are deco only for lack of a better term. no interaction. it would be nice if it was functional for the cat to attempt to take the fish from the tank, therefore you've got to be vigilant monitoring the cat so they don't eat the fish.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017

Did dogs not get any squeaky toys? Really? Or they didn't get any plush toys? And did they not get any tug toys? My dogs love their toys. Can these dogs even play with another dog and play tug with a twisted rope or anything? Did puppies get any teething chew toys?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I saw all build and buy mode with urbansims sims on YouTube. We are only getting what we already knew. It’s already official
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Did dogs not get any squeaky toys? Really? Or they didn't get any plush toys? And did they not get any tug toys? My dogs love their toys. Can these dogs even play with another dog and play tug with a twisted rope or anything? Did puppies get any teething chew toys?

There are some toys in the toy box, but they are not their own separate object. They come with the box. I actually don't know what they are. if anyone does, please tell me.
    However, I imagine they're all just regular chew-able toys. I don't think there are twisted ropes.

• Options
    PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member

Dogs can swim in pools.
    Cats jump on stuff.
    The end.

It's the same things they did in previous Pets EP. But they promised us that pets would be so much better and more unique and the best thing we'll ever see. It's simply not how they described it. All these things have been in TS3. I can admit that cats didn't jump on fridges, but they did jump on counters which comes pretty close in my book.
    The only difference I see so far is that pets bring their food bowls to you and wait at the door when they want to pee, and the training skill. But that's not enough to justify the things they cut out and it's not that much of a difference to previous pets.

Don't forget the roomba. Cats can also ride the roomba thingy.
    PLEASE EA TAKE MY MONEY

Deepest and most meaningful game play to ever grace the Sims games! :D