Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I the only one who's starting to get the feeling...

Comments

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

Yet here we are with a system that many people won't utilize because quite frankly, the amount of realistic customizations you can do with this thing is likely limited.

But is The Sims 4 even about realism? Isn't it meant to lean more towards cartoony and silliness?
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited October 2017
    Double post
  • Options
    romanticsimmer02romanticsimmer02 Posts: 7 New Member
    > @JimG72 said:
    > Cynna wrote: »
    >
    > Most everything that I saw in the trailer was about the animals sitting around. There were so few interactions on display.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I must have watched a different trailer because I saw a lot of different interactions between sims and their pets....and even some interactions between the animals.

--- This . Im confused what all of the hooplah is about. The trailer show a lot of really close, sweet interactions between toddlers and pets, kids and pets and of course adults and pets . The game is not released yet. They are always really tight lipped about what features and gameplay is included . Thats nothing new. I mean, how much inside information did we get on toddlers before they were released? smh lol...
  • Options
    romanticsimmer02romanticsimmer02 Posts: 7 New Member
    > @jackjack_k said:
    > @DeservedCriticism wrote: »
    >
    > I got that feeling from the first trailer. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Watch the promos, watch the livestreams, pay attention to all the vids and info links and constantly ask yourself questions like "are they showing any new gameplay? Are the pets doing anything new they couldn't do in previous versions...?"
    >
    > We are 35 days away from release and up until this point we've seen a dog jump through a hoop. That's it. All other interactions have been done before in previous version. The hoop jump is the only new interaction, and even that animation looked very similar to a fall dogs would do when playing with the dog ball in Sims 3.
    >
    > The whole pattern is suspiciously similar to Sims 4's release too: they proudly parade CAS (or CAP) and tell us about how detailed these pets are, ("Smarter Sims!") but it's apparently a crime to actually show us how these pets are supposedly better.
    >
    > As I said: wait for those livestreams and then scrutinize, scrutinize, scrutinize. These Pets may be completely devoid of any gameplay upgrades, and unless people scrutinize, then they'll be forced to settle for paying $40 just for a new grilled cheese hat for a cat.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So basically because you can't trash CAP because of how good it is, you have to trash things you don't know yet instead :|
    > I actually legitimately think you don't play games to enjoy them, you play games so you can complain about everything, because that's where you get your kicks.
    >
    > It's like you struggle to admit "yes, okay, this is good" because anyone with a decent understanding of animation alone, can tell you the animations for both Cats & Dogs is vastly superior to TS2/TS3. The interactions are also less robotic and more natural, and we've had plenty of news about things we haven't had before, not just a dog jumping through a hoop.
    >
    > Like, did the whole veterinary career leave your trail of thought when writing this? Serious question.
    >
    > Sorry, but you gloss over anything The Sims team do better, and only acknowledge things that you feel need improvement.
    > Which begs the question, why you bother.
    >
    > You say every time The Sims announce a new pack "I'm done with this game" and yet...

----thank you! i swear people like this confuse me . i don't get it. lol.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    > @JimG72 said:
    > Cynna wrote: »
    >
    > Most everything that I saw in the trailer was about the animals sitting around. There were so few interactions on display.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I must have watched a different trailer because I saw a lot of different interactions between sims and their pets....and even some interactions between the animals.

--- This . Im confused what all of the hooplah is about. The trailer show a lot of really close, sweet interactions between toddlers and pets, kids and pets and of course adults and pets . The game is not released yet. They are always really tight lipped about what features and gameplay is included . Thats nothing new. I mean, how much inside information did we get on toddlers before they were released? smh lol...

Toddlers were a free patch everyone is discussing a expansion the two have nothing in common. At this point we know Cats and Dogs limited features...

• CAP... we know everything about CAP at this point
    • Bond with Your Pets
    • Become a Vet and Run a Clinic
    • Explore Brindle ton Bay :|

There is not going to be another huge game changing feature at this point the only thing they have got to show is how deep is the pet bonding, how to work another boring active career and the world which is sadly a major feature. But hey the cat can ride a Roomba.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited October 2017
    What huge game changing features were people expecting for this EP? I see numerous complaints about the supposedly "limited" gameplay of the Cats & Dogs EP, but no one ever seems to have any suggestions or examples of these supposedly monumental gameplay possibilities that will be missing for for cats and dog? A pet grooming business? A dog training career? Nope....because any career (such as the upcoming vet career) is dismissed as being useless anyway. Did you want a dog racing track? I guess pet show has been suggested....but I'd hardly call that a game changing feature. I really question whether some people have ever owned a dog or cat. There's not a whole that they do. Eat...check. Sleep....check. Go the bathroom...check. Play with toys...check. Interact with their owners...check. Reproduce...check. Chase other animals/fight with each other...check. Both will sometimes bring "objects" back to their owners....check. Dogs can learn tricks...check. Cats chase mice and birds....check. You can take dogs for walks...check. Dogs will play fetch...check. There's the agility course for dogs. I mean what else is there for dog or cat "gameplay"?

I don't really get the agenda behind the constant attempts to run down every new pack before it even comes out...but hey, on the bright side, no one is forcing you to buy the pack so you're saving yourself $40! And, by the way, how many "when are we getting pets" and "we need more lots/space/a new world" posts have been made over the last year? So it seems like they are a lot of people looking forward to this EP notwithstanding the vocal minority.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    What huge game changing features were people expecting for this EP? I see numerous complaints about the supposedly "limited" gameplay of the Cats & Dogs EP, but no one ever seems to have any suggestions or examples of these supposedly monumental gameplay possibilities that will be missing for for cats and dog? A pet grooming business? A dog training career? Nope....because any career (such as the upcoming vet career) is dismissed as being useless anyway. Did you want a dog racing track? I guess pet show has been suggested....but I'd hardly call that a game changing feature. I really question whether some people have ever owned a dog or cat. There's not a whole that they do. Eat...check. Sleep....check. Go the bathroom...check. Play with toys...check. Interact with their owners...check. Reproduce...check. Chase other animals/fight with each other...check. Both will sometimes bring "objects" back to their owners....check. Dogs can learn tricks...check. Cats chase mice and birds....check. You can take dogs for walks...check. Dogs will play fetch...check. There's the agility course for dogs. I mean what else is there for dog or cat "gameplay"?

I don't really get the agenda behind the constant attempts to run down every new pack before it even comes out...but hey, on the bright side, no one is forcing you to buy the pack so you're saving yourself $40! And, by the way, how many "when are we getting pets" and "we need more lots/space/a new world" posts have been made over the last year? So it seems like they are a lot of people looking forward to this EP notwithstanding the vocal minority.

Here's a fourm about some stuff people wanted
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/921831/pets-ep-expectations-list/p1

Here are things I would have liked relating to Cats and Dogs specifically to make them better

Some way, to control pets if I choose to
    A way to sell animals if I need/choose to

Pet skills
    -hunting (both cats & dogs)
    Dock diving (dogs)
    Agility (for cats & dogs)
    Fishing for cats
    Racing (dogs)
    Tricks/obedience (for both cats and dogs)

Animal fairs
    Have a formal breed system that recognizes up to 5 traits for a breed then hold competitions on best looking pets
    Have trick shows
    Have competitions relating to pet skills
    Special activities for sims to do (merchandise to buy, watching animal shows)
    Be a sim that can judge in said fairs.

Animal careers
    - service animal
    - rescue animal
    - vermin control
    - companion pet (the ones they bring to hospitals & old age homes)
    - Animal actor
    - Police/Fire animal

Of course there are other things to like small animals and stuff for them to do but I will focus on the pets we have.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    What huge game changing features were people expecting for this EP? I see numerous complaints about the supposedly "limited" gameplay of the Cats & Dogs EP, but no one ever seems to have any suggestions or examples of these supposedly monumental gameplay possibilities that will be missing for for cats and dog? A pet grooming business? A dog training career? Nope....because any career (such as the upcoming vet career) is dismissed as being useless anyway. I guess pet show has been suggested....but I'd hardly call that a game changing feature. I really question whether some people have ever owned a dog or cat. There's not a whole that they do. Eat...check. Sleep....check. Go the bathroom...check. Play with toys...check. Interact with their owners...check. Reproduce...check. Chase other animals/fight with each other...check. Both will sometimes bring "objects" back to their owners....check. Dogs can learn tricks...check. Cats chase mice and birds....check. You can take dogs for walks...check. Dogs will play fetch...check. There's the agility course for dogs. I mean what else is there for dog or cat "gameplay"?
    So we should be happy with basics because you say check check check? If simple everyday activities for Cats and Dogs is all you're looking for that's fine for you but for me this is just bare bone. No longer do we even get Pets but now just cats and dogs if I'm losing horses birds and decent fish tanks not those basic non interactive ones we have now I want to be wowed by the content that should be there replacing them. Instead we don't even get a dog house no pet store seriously I would take dog racing at this point seeing as the majority of good ideas were cut from the Pets survey and I was really looking forward to horse racing but as usual everything that would be fun for me was cut.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    umbralshadowsumbralshadows Posts: 212 Member
    i hate when people say stuffs a waste just cuzz they dont want it just cuzz ya dont want it dosent mean lotsa other people dont an we deserve ta hav tha options [cuzz im one a tha plenty people who like tha allmost limitless possibilities an easy ta use features a stamps and stencils]

It's not gameplay though, it's a gimmick.

To me a gimmick is any sort of game design that, through a number of means, only manages to be entertaining once or twice before it wears off. Cats riding roombas will cease to be entertaining after you've seen it once or twice, laser-guided litterboxes will cease to be entertaining after once or twice, the talking toilet ceases to be entertaining after once or twice, and the pet colors will not be entertaining after once or twice. Best case usage I can see is give your vampire an undead cat while your scientist gets a robocat, but beyond that...?

Let me phrase it this way...

What's more important: a person's physical appearance or a person's personality?
    I would hope most of us answer personality, and it's the exact same concept here. No matter what color your cat, no matter what stencils or designs, it will act precisely the same as all other cats. If you've played one multicolored kitty, you've played them all. It's not entertaining to think to yourself "ok this time he'll be blue tye-dye instead of red" and then make that cat, then load up the actual gameplay and see him act identically to the others you've made. The personality traits are irrelevant here: the point is the aesthetics themselves add nothing to gameplay and depth.

Yet here we are with a system that many people won't utilize because quite frankly, the amount of realistic customizations you can do with this thing is likely limited.

Anyone who likes realism won't use the full extent of CAP.
    Anyone who simulates their real selves won't use the full extent of CAP.
    Anyone who just finds bright colors on a cat ridiculous will not use the full extent of CAP.
    Anyone who finds such bright colors obnoxious and unpleasing for the eyes will not use the full extent of CAP.

Yet thusfar, that feature has been pushed centerstage harder than any other feature. Despite all the people who won't get much use out of it, it's currently advertised as though it were the #1 strong suit of the pack.

It's simple: the overwhelming majority of us won't get much use out of that system, and even those that do take the time to make a super colorful chihuahua on their first playthrough might find they can't find the effort and dedication to do it again, knowing it has no effect on gameplay and, quite frankly, looks ridiculous.

i dont get what how what yer sayin has ta do with tha fact that havin stencils and stamps is a waste? ? i still want them no matter what tha cats an dogs act like [so far i like what ive seen] more depth is allways good an id want that but i allso want those paintin options. .. whats stoppin me from wantin both? ??
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    lookin for lets players an reviewers for tha short/demo version a my game
    download here
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited October 2017
    @aricarai wrote: »

But is The Sims 4 even about realism? Isn't it meant to lean more towards cartoony and silliness?

Well that's how The Sims 1 & 2 were as well, The Sims 3 is the odd one out in that case.
    The first two games are arguably more silly than 4 too.

And I still think The Sims 4 can benefit with more Living Large/TS2 base game craziness with things like the Social Bunny, Therapist, and all the random NPCs that game had :love:

So I'm glad they're providing tools regarding that don't fit the mould, and I would welcome more of that in CAS rather than just CAP.

Simply because, The Sims 1 & 2 CAS had some questionable items, yet The Sims 4 plays it safe while aiming for the same demographic.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2017
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Here's a fourm about some stuff people wanted
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/921831/pets-ep-expectations-list/p1

Here are things I would have liked relating to Cats and Dogs specifically to make them better

Some way, to control pets if I choose to
    A way to sell animals if I need/choose to

Pet skills
    -hunting (both cats & dogs)
    Dock diving (dogs)
    Agility (for cats & dogs)
    Fishing for cats
    Racing (dogs)
    Tricks/obedience (for both cats and dogs)

Animal fairs
    Have a formal breed system that recognizes up to 5 traits for a breed then hold competitions on best looking pets
    Have trick shows
    Have competitions relating to pet skills
    Special activities for sims to do (merchandise to buy, watching animal shows)
    Be a sim that can judge in said fairs.

Animal careers
    - service animal
    - rescue animal
    - vermin control
    - companion pet (the ones they bring to hospitals & old age homes)
    - Animal actor
    - Police/Fire animal

Of course there are other things to like small animals and stuff for them to do but I will focus on the pets we have.

@BeJaWa, thank you for this post. :)

I begged for my first pup for my fourteenth birthday. My parents took me to the local shelter and that's where I met the first love of my life, Fawn. She was a black shepherd mutt and I adored her. I'm in my fifties now and since that first pup, I've never been without a dog companion. For the last twenty-five years or so, I usually have a pair.

There is so much that pet-lovers could have gotten with this pack. For me, I would have loved to see a pet store, a la TS2, where pets could be adopted out (since 'buying' a pet has negative connotations). I would have like to run a shelter, for example. I could have gone around town, befriending the strays, fostering them and adopting them out.

I would have loved something like the Canine good citizenship, agility training, or dog shows/competitions, even a doggy day care for the other Sim parents in the 'hood. A dog trainer career would have been awesome. When I first got a dog, we paid a trainer to come to our home to show us how it's properly done. Or Sims, along with their pets, could enroll in group training classed. Fun and mayhem would be bound to ensue.

There are so many things that could have been done. I'm still holding out some hope, because we obviously haven't seen everything. Yet, that hope is tempered because I don't want to be disappointed. I would love pets to be an integral part of the game for those of us who ultimately choose to purchase it. Dog (and cats, of course) are not merely animated objects that lend atmosphere to a Sim home. They are family members, they're our responsibility. They have their own wants and desires and they need stimulation and challenges to be happy and healthy. I would love to see that reflected in the game.

It's cool that cats, for example, can climb up on things. Yet, take it a step further. Can they be taught/encouraged not to do it? Once they're up there, what do they do? Do they steal the dinner if it's left unguarded on a table? Will they push another cat off, just for giggles? Will they interact with their owner from up there -- lording it over their personal fiefdom? :)

Will dogs run out to greet their human when the human comes home? Will they scratch at the door when they feel the need to relieve themselves? Will they fuss over a bowl of food and who gets at it first? Tug over a toy? Share a bed and curl up in it together? Come to their owner with a toy and encourage play time? Recognize when their human is under the weather and show concern? Can Sims get down on the floor and rough house with their bigger dogs?

At this point in the series, I guess that I just need to see more. I simply hope that the attention to detail that was given to CAP would also translate to the pets and the activities within the game. I don't want these pets to become nuisances that merely block the Sims for utilizing the furniture and doors. I want them to add something that pets add in real life as well.

@JimG72, please see above for the answers to your question.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @Cynna, I wouldn't worry about any Sim or pet blocking another, TS4 does't suffer that problem, they just walk right through them. lol You know MMOs do that so you can get on with it and win the game. People don't mind it that much when characters may clip through each other when fighting etc. because the point of those games is hurry up and 'win'. TS2 seems to be the smarter Sims who may wave their arms at you but if it's not totally blocking them, they will figure out how to go around something. TS3 and TS1 are the toe tapping games who just stand there waiting forever.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Cynna, I wouldn't worry about any Sim or pet blocking another, TS4 does't suffer that problem, they just walk right through them. lol You know MMOs do that so you can get on with it and win the game. People don't mind it that much when characters may clip through each other when fighting etc. because the point of those games is hurry up and 'win'. TS2 seems to be the smarter Sims who may wave their arms at you but if it's not totally blocking them, they will figure out how to go around something. TS3 and TS1 are the toe tapping games who just stand there waiting forever.

Yes, I realize that, in this version, Sims will just walk through the cat or dog as if it wasn't there. I just brought that up to illustrate how in the other versions, after a while, the pets sometimes became a hindrance to game play, rather than an enhancement. Especially now that we will have zero control over pets, I need them to be meaningful additions, not frustrating (strays, puddles of urine, and holes everywhere) or worse, easily ignored because they have no impact. I guess what I mean to say is that there's a fine balance and I hope that the developers have tried their level best to walk that line.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    I Admit, I am not really excited for those animals.
    I also never had any Fun with pets expansions in 2 or 3, and I'm only getting cats and dogs because my wife wants them. (I share my origin password with her)
    There are a few hairstyles for Sims I will probably use. No Clue about furniture or new Interactions.
    I will try out Cats and see how it plays to be a cat owner.
    Anything that I say against those Pets, as well as anything I say in their defence, is pointless since I have no experience with other pets EPs whatsoever and therefore no real comparison. Yes, I do own both packs, but with S3 Pets activated, I get CTDs no matter what I do (And believe me, I tried everything. Don't even start.) and the only reason I got them for S2 was Werewolves, but the leader of the pack never showed up. Don't know why, never found out, just as if he wasn't in the game in the first place, and I actually never got into the pet gameplay there.
    I simply stopped trying.
    Even if the game is still playable for more than 5 minutes without crashing after I buy it, and actually adds something to enjoy, even if its just 3 Hairstyles and a few new lots to build my stuff on, I have gotten more out of it than out of S3 Pets and S2 Pets combined.

With that out of the way, let me tell you a few things:
    As I read discussions in the modding community on sites like Mod the Sims or S4Studio, I know that in one of the previous patches, objects like counters, tables, chairs and bars, among others, have been updated to allow "Something" to walk on them.
    With that in Mind, watching the Trailer, one can clearly see that a cat jumped on a crate.
    In the CAP lifestream, the Gurus said that Cats will climb on the fridge.

Cats walking on Tables, Bars, Counters, Fridges and other furniture, as far as I've read, cant confirm it personally, is entirely new to the sims.
    Imagine your Sim is playing Videogames on his Computer when suddenly the Cat jumps on the Desk, throws itself on the keyboard and demands attention.
    No, this wasn't in the trailer, but from what I heard and read, it sounds like something that could happen. Or something along those lines.
    It might not be a big thing, but it's not nothing.

As far as I am reading this thread, and I admit that I might be wrong, there seem to be two groups:
    The One that expects the Devs to show something they have never seen before. Something awesome, that isn't revealed yet.
    And the One that expects the live mode versions of the cats and dogs to... IDK... do nothing other than eating, sleeping, barking/meowing, walking around, pooping and repeat the cycle, and nothing else.

Personally, I don't want to be seen as part of either group.
    If you cant have fun with a Sim doing one thing if you did it once or twice before with other Sims (Be it raising children, becoming a vampire and climb in those ranks, be it getting to work and become a doctor, be it maxing out 15 Skills, be it impregnating the entire town, I don't judge) I don't think you will have fun having more than one Pet in your entire game.
    I own outdoor retreat and the restaurant GP, but I never owned a store or a restaurant, and I was never on Vacation.
    First I was too busy in the Scientist career, then I was too busy experimenting with my Get Together Woohooing Club, now I am too busy with my Vampire. (He just got married to Lilith Vatore, the one who turned him, and they are expecting their first child. Caleb doesn't like him)

Who knows, maybe next thing I know my Vampire will also be a cat owner and that stops me from trying out mermaids...
  • Options
    sundaysimmersundaysimmer Posts: 201 Member
    I really hope that pets will amaze me the same way toddlers did. I always found toddlers a bit annoying in TS2 and TS3 (in TS3, I would just leave them in the mood-enhancing playpen forever) but I've enjoyed them so much in TS4! I feel similar about pets; they were such a pain to take care of and train in the older versions of the game so you'd have to make them the focus of your gameplay (which I don't always want to do). So hopefully the pets in TS4 won't just be incredibly customizable thanks to CAP but also really, really fleshed out and more fun to play with!

By the way, I don't mean to compare toddlers and pets in general! :lol: I'm just drawing this comparison in terms of their need of being taken care of by other Sims.
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    NickSims wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    I'm worried that, like the base game, too much energy is being put into the mechanics of CAS (and build mode) and not enough on game play.

I don't see anything for build mode in this EP. Sure, we get objects but there are no building highlights anywhere for this pack.
    But aside from build mode, I definitely think you are right. It seems all about the shiny and there isn't a lot of focus on the gameplay.
    However, maybe that's just because there hasn't been a lot made public in general about this EP? And I think it's easier to begin with CAS for EA, because it will probably get the most hype since it does look very good. And gameplay is hard to review in the very few minutes that Simmers get with the EP at Sims Camp.
    So the gameplay could be really good or really bad. We'll see I guess.

We're getting the octagonal roofs which means we'll be able to build actual towers -- useful for Victorian style builds. If we get a Magic GP sometime in 2018 they'll also be useful for witches/wizards towers. Or even for faux silos for more rural builds or if we get the much desired Rural/Farming pack. Also the ability to do buildouts for bay windows with the half octagonal roofs to help with that, plus the new sofas that are designed to fit in bay windows.

The big thing for the pack is likely the CAP because players want to know they can either make unique animals for their worlds, or that they can created their own beloved pets (living or deceased) in the game. That's why so much emphasis is put on the CAP -- it was the same with Sims 3 Pets. Next set of trailers/livestream supposedly focuses on the Vet career, and that's gameplay, so we'll see plenty of that, while still keeping some things under wraps for players to discover after the pack releases.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Most everything that I saw in the trailer was about the animals sitting around. There were so few interactions on display.

I must have watched a different trailer because I saw a lot of different interactions between sims and their pets....and even some interactions between the animals.

What interactions did you see that added to game play? I'm genuinely curious.

The closest thing that I saw was the vet career. However, if it is anything like the medical career, the vet career is already in trouble.

Edited to add: I did see a lot of staging, by the marketing department, accompanied by rampant speculation.

The vet career is already better than the medical career because you can take your pet to the vet clinic, rather than having it filled with "faux" patients and your active Sim being unable to visit or request a house call.

It looks like you'll be able to jog with your dog:

which looks quite cool.

Let's just wait till we get more info before panicking.
  • Options
    Armilus616 wrote: »
    I Admit, I am not really excited for those animals.
    I also never had any Fun with pets expansions in 2 or 3, and I'm only getting cats and dogs because my wife wants them. (I share my origin password with her)
    There are a few hairstyles for Sims I will probably use. No Clue about furniture or new Interactions.
    I will try out Cats and see how it plays to be a cat owner.
    Anything that I say against those Pets, as well as anything I say in their defence, is pointless since I have no experience with other pets EPs whatsoever and therefore no real comparison. Yes, I do own both packs, but with S3 Pets activated, I get CTDs no matter what I do (And believe me, I tried everything. Don't even start.) and the only reason I got them for S2 was Werewolves, but the leader of the pack never showed up. Don't know why, never found out, just as if he wasn't in the game in the first place, and I actually never got into the pet gameplay there.
    I simply stopped trying.
    Even if the game is still playable for more than 5 minutes without crashing after I buy it, and actually adds something to enjoy, even if its just 3 Hairstyles and a few new lots to build my stuff on, I have gotten more out of it than out of S3 Pets and S2 Pets combined.

With that out of the way, let me tell you a few things:
    As I read discussions in the modding community on sites like Mod the Sims or S4Studio, I know that in one of the previous patches, objects like counters, tables, chairs and bars, among others, have been updated to allow "Something" to walk on them.
    With that in Mind, watching the Trailer, one can clearly see that a cat jumped on a crate.
    In the CAP lifestream, the Gurus said that Cats will climb on the fridge.

Cats walking on Tables, Bars, Counters, Fridges and other furniture, as far as I've read, cant confirm it personally, is entirely new to the sims.
    Imagine your Sim is playing Videogames on his Computer when suddenly the Cat jumps on the Desk, throws itself on the keyboard and demands attention.
    No, this wasn't in the trailer, but from what I heard and read, it sounds like something that could happen. Or something along those lines.
    It might not be a big thing, but it's not nothing.

As far as I am reading this thread, and I admit that I might be wrong, there seem to be two groups:
    The One that expects the Devs to show something they have never seen before. Something awesome, that isn't revealed yet.
    And the One that expects the live mode versions of the cats and dogs to... IDK... do nothing other than eating, sleeping, barking/meowing, walking around, pooping and repeat the cycle, and nothing else.

Personally, I don't want to be seen as part of either group.
    If you cant have fun with a Sim doing one thing if you did it once or twice before with other Sims (Be it raising children, becoming a vampire and climb in those ranks, be it getting to work and become a doctor, be it maxing out 15 Skills, be it impregnating the entire town, I don't judge) I don't think you will have fun having more than one Pet in your entire game.
    I own outdoor retreat and the restaurant GP, but I never owned a store or a restaurant, and I was never on Vacation.
    First I was too busy in the Scientist career, then I was too busy experimenting with my Get Together Woohooing Club, now I am too busy with my Vampire. (He just got married to Lilith Vatore, the one who turned him, and they are expecting their first child. Caleb doesn't like him)

Who knows, maybe next thing I know my Vampire will also be a cat owner and that stops me from trying out mermaids...

It would be funny if your Sim was livestreaming for the Tech Guru career, and your cat jumped up and showed off his rear end to your viewers; that happens in real life on a lot of Twitch streams.
  • Options

The vet career is already better than the medical career because you can take your pet to the vet clinic, rather than having it filled with "faux" patients and your active Sim being unable to visit or request a house call.

which looks quite cool.

If we're allowed to bring our pets to the Vet and that just wasn't something staged by the creator of the video, I'd be grateful.

I do have to add, though: what is it with the condescension whenever someone is anything other than totally on board with this game? I'm not panicking and there has been nothing that I've posted on this or any other message board that even hints at that. Geez.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member

which looks quite cool.

If we're allowed to bring our pets to the Vet and that just wasn't something staged by the creator of the video, I'd be grateful.

I do have to add, though: what is it with the condescension whenever someone is anything other than totally on board with this game? I'm not panicking and there has been nothing that I've posted on this or any other message board that even hints at that. Geez.

We can definitely take our pets to the vet, they've confirmed we can take them there to get them neutered or if they get sick.
  • Options
    angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member
    Yet thusfar, that feature [CAP] has been pushed centerstage harder than any other feature. Despite all the people who won't get much use out of it, it's currently advertised as though it were the #1 strong suit of the pack.

I thought this was odd as well.
    Why are they using CAStPet to sell a Cats & Dogs pack?
    "Pets" is one of the most requested expansions and will basically sell on name alone.
    Seems like a lot of effort for something that, as you pointed out, has no effect on gameplay.
    Makes me wonder what else is missing...

As an aside, the pets just don't look that great this time around IMO. Cats are especially unappealing to me.
    Making Create A Style Pet while not having Create A Style for Sims kind of feels like a middle finger to the community.
    BTW, I'm not buying the expansion (and I never was) so feel free to ignore my post. I'm not attempting to talk anyone out of loving and buying this expansion.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    samlyt22 wrote: »

which looks quite cool.

We can definitely take our pets to the vet, they've confirmed we can take them there to get them neutered or if they get sick.

This is brilliant news. Im glad its not like the gtw hospital!
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Lot the stuff they said are new are things they can already do in the sims 3v .Like how dogs, and cats sing along when you play music ?Yesterday playing my game my sims dog bark at his owner to greet him?
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    NickSims wrote: »
    I'm worried that, like the base game, too much energy is being put into the mechanics of CAS (and build mode) and not enough on game play.

I don't see anything for build mode in this EP. Sure, we get objects but there are no building highlights anywhere for this pack.
    But aside from build mode, I definitely think you are right. It seems all about the shiny and there isn't a lot of focus on the gameplay.
    However, maybe that's just because there hasn't been a lot made public in general about this EP? And I think it's easier to begin with CAS for EA, because it will probably get the most hype since it does look very good. And gameplay is hard to review in the very few minutes that Simmers get with the EP at Sims Camp.
    So the gameplay could be really good or really bad. We'll see I guess.

We're getting the octagonal roofs which means we'll be able to build actual towers -- useful for Victorian style builds. If we get a Magic GP sometime in 2018 they'll also be useful for witches/wizards towers. Or even for faux silos for more rural builds or if we get the much desired Rural/Farming pack. Also the ability to do buildouts for bay windows with the half octagonal roofs to help with that, plus the new sofas that are designed to fit in bay windows.

The big thing for the pack is likely the CAP because players want to know they can either make unique animals for their worlds, or that they can created their own beloved pets (living or deceased) in the game. That's why so much emphasis is put on the CAP -- it was the same with Sims 3 Pets. Next set of trailers/livestream supposedly focuses on the Vet career, and that's gameplay, so we'll see plenty of that, while still keeping some things under wraps for players to discover after the pack releases.

Umm the octagonal roofs will come in the pre-patch for the EP.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    I won't judge it until I play it, so far I'm excited, it looks good to me.