Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I the only one who's starting to get the feeling...

CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
...that the focus of Cats & Dogs is mostly going to be about CAS?

It's no secret that I don't have much faith in TS4. However, I'm really starting to get concerned about this new EP. I'm worried that, like the base game, too much energy is being put into the mechanics of CAS (and build mode) and not enough on game play. Most everything that I saw in the trailer was about the animals sitting around. There were so few interactions on display.

In all the other versions, the pets and seasons expansions have always been my favorite. So, I've got a lot of hope riding on this EP. Yet, I'd like to know that there's more to this game than futzing around in CAS. The EP is only a month out. Shouldn't there be more information by now?

On a slighted related note:
I miss the days when we knew what the next EP was going to be as soon as we opened the packaging for the current one. I truly dislike the veil of secrecy around Sims expansions these days.

I3Ml5Om.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    No, they're just stingy with information in general. They haven't said much anything about vet career either. For that matter, the only stuff we've gotten about CAS is mostly a few bits about options in creations and some carefully let-out-of-the-bag screenshots from sims camp.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    I don't really feel the same way, but I think the reason that's the impression may have something to do with the fact that what information we have seen coming out of Sims Camp has basically been just CAP content. I would personally wait to see what the livestreams hold before making any judgements on the balance of CAP vs gameplay.
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I'm worried that, like the base game, too much energy is being put into the mechanics of CAS (and build mode) and not enough on game play.

I don't see anything for build mode in this EP. Sure, we get objects but there are no building highlights anywhere for this pack.
    But aside from build mode, I definitely think you are right. It seems all about the shiny and there isn't a lot of focus on the gameplay.
    However, maybe that's just because there hasn't been a lot made public in general about this EP? And I think it's easier to begin with CAS for EA, because it will probably get the most hype since it does look very good. And gameplay is hard to review in the very few minutes that Simmers get with the EP at Sims Camp.
    So the gameplay could be really good or really bad. We'll see I guess.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I'm pretty sure they are just releasing CAP info now and then other aspects are going to be released later in the next few weeks.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I have no doubt that they are very excited for this EP and are egger to showoff their hard work. But they do have a plan for revealing info. While I an very anxious to see all the C&D info, especially the town itself, I am trying very hard to be patient and let them have their fun with the info rollout.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2017
    I got that feeling from the first trailer. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Watch the promos, watch the livestreams, pay attention to all the vids and info links and constantly ask yourself questions like "are they showing any new gameplay? Are the pets doing anything new they couldn't do in previous versions...?"

We are 35 days away from release and up until this point we've seen a dog jump through a hoop. That's it. All other interactions have been done before in previous version. The hoop jump is the only new interaction, and even that animation looked very similar to a fall dogs would do when playing with the dog ball in Sims 3.

The whole pattern is suspiciously similar to Sims 4's release too: they proudly parade CAS (or CAP) and tell us about how detailed these pets are, ("Smarter Sims!") but it's apparently a crime to actually show us how these pets are supposedly better.

As I said: wait for those livestreams and then scrutinize, scrutinize, scrutinize. These Pets may be completely devoid of any gameplay upgrades, and unless people scrutinize, then they'll be forced to settle for paying $40 just for a new grilled cheese hat for a cat.

Scrutinize.

Yep, that's what I've been doing. I've been trying to get a feel for this new EP and what makes it special, if anything. So far, just like the base game, it's basically CAS (CAP). The thing is: (also like the base game) eventually, players will need to click on that check button and leave CAP. What then? There's been next to nothing about that and it concerns me. I see a repetition of exactly what happened with the base game. That is, CAS and build mode were revolutionary. The marketing guys practically put all of their eggs into that one basket. However, the rest of the game? Not so much.

The gist of it is: I don't want a repeat of the asymmetry of the base game. I would prefer that most of the energy be put into game play, rather than the aesthetics of CAS/CAP.

NickSims wrote: »
    I'm worried that, like the base game, too much energy is being put into the mechanics of CAS (and build mode) and not enough on game play.

I don't see anything for build mode in this EP. Sure, we get objects but there are no building highlights anywhere for this pack.
    But aside from build mode, I definitely think you are right. It seems all about the shiny and there isn't a lot of focus on the gameplay.
    However, maybe that's just because there hasn't been a lot made public in general about this EP? And I think it's easier to begin with CAS for EA, because it will probably get the most hype since it does look very good. And gameplay is hard to review in the very few minutes that Simmers get with the EP at Sims Camp.

I didn't say that there was anything mentioned about build mode for C&D. What I was saying was that I saw a big similarity between how the focus in the campaign for the base game was about CAS and build mode. Likewise, the focus for C&D has been basically all about CAP. CAP looks fantastic. But once I create a furry little friend for my Sims, what else is on offer as far as honest to goodness game play?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I don't get that feeling, like other say we are weeks away from release, if the marketing for this pack started to rise up this week, I expect it will be about the CAP, then next week it will be different, such us in Get to Work, they had a week where they focus on the Doctor, then another for Detective, etc. I am pretty sure we will have different weeks between Cats, Dogs, and the Vet Career. Then another for the World. The last week would be the launch.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Besides create a pet there is:
    Vet career
    New world
    Agility course (maybe a skill?)

That's basically all we have seen. I mean the jogging with your pet is pretty cool too. But I think I need a bit more for $40. Hopefully more will be revealed in the trailer tomorrow (is it just me or has there been a constant string of cats and Dogs trailers in the past week? )
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I agree, I think they are really focused on CAS. But considering this EP is about pets I get it. The customization is awesome, nice amount of traits , outfits and all the breeds are really something. I don’t mind it, but I understand if some people are worried about it, especially if they are not crazy about pets.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited October 2017
    On a slighted related note:
    I miss the days when we knew what the next EP was going to be as soon as we opened the packaging for the current one. I truly dislike the veil of secrecy around Sims expansions these days.

This. Remember when University was released, and someone posted a flyer for Nightlife that came with his game? It was just a teaser, but that was more info than we got for several months for Sims 4 packs.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Most everything that I saw in the trailer was about the animals sitting around. There were so few interactions on display.

I must have watched a different trailer because I saw a lot of different interactions between sims and their pets....and even some interactions between the animals.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Hmmm

They have said in a tweet that we will have a few streams to look at, that would be a suitable way to show off gameplay so perhaps that is when we get that bit. They are releasing the info one chapter at the time so CAP was one of the early ones. I seem to remember having read a thread about "If they were more confident in their EP they would have released info by now" a few days ago. After that we have seen a CAP that I believe looks very robust.

So if the world is next, perhaps we will have discussions about their apparent lack of gameplay. If the vet-career is next how the new world will be on the smaller side with only copypasta decor. Meanwhile marketing will let us have a new bite of info every now and then until release. We won't get all the info at once.
  • Options
    estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    edited October 2017
    I appreciate the youtubers who released the CAP portion of TS4: Cats and Dogs. It does look like CAP was done pretty well. I feel you can immerse yourself into really customizing your pets if you really wanted too. Personally, I am someone who will choose a breed with the appropriate coat (maybe change a few things here and there), and that's it. I am just not someone who will have a robot-cat/dog. But I am glad the option to make crazy pets is there.

As for being hyped on the EP as a whole, well... let's just say, I am hyped for maybe a few moments, but I always try to take a step back, and not allow myself to get caught in the moment. OP is right, if you think about it, we still do not know anything about this EP, other than the CAP. I don't know, I think it is suspect that the people who are given early access to new content are youtubers. Especially youtubers who are just over-hyped. Maybe it's because I come from MMO-RPG/MOBA games, and when there is new content there is a Public Test Server available for everyone, or if it was to be for a select few, most of the time it is given to random players as well, and the information is not to be given to everyone until the patch notes for that content is released (they have a separate and private forum to discuss any bugs, glitches and things to change for that patch). I have nothing against youtubers given this privilege, from an advertising stand point, it makes sense. These are the people who are giving The Sims free advertisement. It's cool. But one can always wonder how objective their reviews are. I am still waiting for LGR's (and maybe The Sim Supply's) review. The others I can hardly take seriously.

I do hope most of the Sim's fans are more critical of new content. I do think it is natural for one to be hyped of new content. But in the end you have to think, is this expansion pack or game pack or stuff pack something I will want to play for more than just a week? a month? a year? Or will it be something that I will forget about after 5 days? Because while I will admit I am still enjoying the sims right now, it is due to the fact that I stopped playing The Sims for 2 years, because when I got the base game at launched, I did not find I can do anything roughly about 2 weeks after. Right now I am still catching up. And I can already tell you, I am bored to death with Get to Work, and the festivals in City Living is honestly, not something that excites me. I have yet still to try clubs and becoming a vampire so there is still something for me to do. The Sims in general is a great game. I remember in The Sims 2 that the game was addictive from the base game all the way to The Sims 3. I was hooked. Goodness, I missed a class or two just to play the game. I just don't have that same feeling now. So here's to hoping that this new EP is not a waste of content. Because that would be very disappointing.
    Post edited by estella_dee on
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    I got that feeling from the first trailer. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Watch the promos, watch the livestreams, pay attention to all the vids and info links and constantly ask yourself questions like "are they showing any new gameplay? Are the pets doing anything new they couldn't do in previous versions...?"

We are 35 days away from release and up until this point we've seen a dog jump through a hoop. That's it. All other interactions have been done before in previous version. The hoop jump is the only new interaction, and even that animation looked very similar to a fall dogs would do when playing with the dog ball in Sims 3.

The whole pattern is suspiciously similar to Sims 4's release too: they proudly parade CAS (or CAP) and tell us about how detailed these pets are, ("Smarter Sims!") but it's apparently a crime to actually show us how these pets are supposedly better.

As I said: wait for those livestreams and then scrutinize, scrutinize, scrutinize. These Pets may be completely devoid of any gameplay upgrades, and unless people scrutinize, then they'll be forced to settle for paying $40 just for a new grilled cheese hat for a cat.

Scrutinize.

Yep, that's what I've been doing. I've been trying to get a feel for this new EP and what makes it special, if anything. So far, just like the base game, it's basically CAS (CAP). The thing is: (also like the base game) eventually, players will need to click on that check button and leave CAP. What then? There's been next to nothing about that and it concerns me. I see a repetition of exactly what happened with the base game. That is, CAS and build mode were revolutionary. The marketing guys practically put all of their eggs into that one basket. However, the rest of the game? Not so much.

The gist of it is: I don't want a repeat of the asymmetry of the base game. I would prefer that most of the energy be put into game play, rather than the aesthetics of CAS/CAP.

NickSims wrote: »

I didn't say that there was anything mentioned about build mode for C&D. What I was saying was that I saw a big similarity between how the focus in the campaign for the base game was about CAS and build mode. Likewise, the focus for C&D has been basically all about CAP. CAP looks fantastic. But once I create a furry little friend for my Sims, what else is on offer as far as honest to goodness game play?

Ah, okay. I misunderstood you. Thank you for clarifying.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I don't get that feeling. To me I feel like they are just spreading out information to keep us excited during the long wait.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    This is the way EPs are done. They release info in clumps based on a theme each week, starting a month before release. Showing off different features of aspects each week. Why do people seem to forget how things are done every time? Like they have never been here during an EP release before?
  • Options
    NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    EA always find a way to ruin a EP, so let's see how they will do it this time. I don't have my hopes too high. We need gameplay in this game, if they focus on CAP and less in gameplay, they should investigate who is smoking hard thinks in EA, because that person is out of their mind. I guess someone is trying to kill this franshise, don't know why but for what a read not only here on the forum, but in other places too, people is starting to become tired of the way they do stuff.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited October 2017
    While I completely understand the negativity (I myself am guilty of always finding flaws first and being extremely critical) I think there is a reason for them to show off CAP first. TS4 is notorious for the lack of customization options and I see their move as a way to tell us that they listened and learned, and since they can't go back and give us a color wheel for everything (even though we know it's possible - they just won't do that, lol) they want us to at least have more creative control in the new aspect of the game they're introducing. It's like their way of saying "sorry you can't be 100% content with how your sims look but from now on we'll make sure the rest of your creations in game will be satisfying so here's our new CAP". I can see why that's the best thing to show off since the very beginning.

I wouldn't say it's because that's all they really have to offer. They tend to be secretive about everything,whether it makes sense or not, I'm used to it by now. I'm pretty sure they just decided to reveal one aspect fully and hide another so there's still some hype and people have something to experience from scratch, aka pet gameplay. Somehow the big number of pet traits tells me they can't be dull and plain. If they won't be a drastic improvement I have a feeling they'll at least be satisfying. Maybe it's my optimistic side speaking but everything I've seen so far leads me to believe they prepared for it, they prepared for our scrutiny because this time it'll be merciless. People won't forgive them destroying the community's favored EP and you can be dang sure they know it. It's a whole new situation - the first time an EP is "coming back" to TS4 and while EA made some questionable decisions in the past... Would they really be brave enough to deliver a bad pets EP? Would they be brave enough to risk it? I want to believe they wouldn't, and that the past 3 years have taught them something.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited October 2017
    I saw an 18 minute gameplay video that someone uploaded yesterday. It showed several pieces of pet training equipment and the pet owner was trying to teach his dog to maneuver through the equipment. Not just the hoop. Also footage of a day in the life of a vet at the pet clinic. There's much more in the pack than CAS.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Whilst I do think CAP is a large chunk of the EP, I do think as has been said there is more information to come.

We know for example about the vet career, people are biting at the bit to know about that, there's also sims personalities to show off. There is also the world! One thing at a time.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    This is the way EPs are done. They release info in clumps based on a theme each week, starting a month before release. Showing off different features of aspects each week. Why do people seem to forget how things are done every time? Like they have never been here during an EP release before?
    I actually haven't, personally. I think I was here when speculation about CL was running rampant, but not during the actual info release stages.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I saw an 18 minute gameplay video that someone uploaded yesterday. It showed several pieces of pet training equipment and the pet owner was trying to teach his dog to maneuver through the equipment. Not just the hoop. Also footage of a day in the life of a vet at the pet clinic. There's much more in the pack than CAS.

Source? To my knowledge there's still a ban on such footage, so I find it hard to believe you've seen any since NONE of the Sims news outlets are discussing such things.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"