Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Petty Issue I am having

Hi Simmers,

Firstly I love that with City Living we can create more ethnically diverse sims and all and City Living is a great Expansion but one thing really annoys me.

Every Single Townie name from when I bought City Living has been diverse sounding.

It's okay for a bit but after a while the only surnames anywhere are Akito Tanaka and Bassawe Gupta as well as Hakim Mansouri, I have yet to see a Townie with a common name,

This is Unrealistic as the majority of people in America (Where SimNation is based on) do not all have Names like this.

Are You receiving this Problem as well?

Comments

• Options
    simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    I have this too but I don't mind it
  • Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    I have this too. I just go to manage worlds and either delete the townies, or change their names
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,467 Member
    Yes, having the same issue. I don't mind the diversity, I actually like it, but not to the elimination of the base game surnames. Plus, my game seems to prefer about five specific family names that it repeats over and over again when generating townies. It's a little irritating. :/
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Yepp - same thing in my game. And same as @LiELF where my game seems to be repeating a few different family names over and over. Although I'm not really finding my townies to be diverse at all - they all seem to be of Asian ethnicity. Also, they all seem to have black hair and dark brown eyes.

To combat this (as I like to see how genetics play out in my families) - I now make or download townie households for the kid, teen and young adult stages.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited May 2018
    [deleted]
    Post edited by Simpkin on
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    I think they should have added funny names, like the kind Andrew Arcade uses, for example; The Papaya family being one. Or Sidney Snizzlepop.
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I think they should have added funny names, like the kind Andrew Arcade uses, for example; The Papaya family being one. Or Sidney Snizzlepop.

Haha - bring back Goopy GilsCarbo!
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

My BFF plays TS2 and she has sim named 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Snickerbottom.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    RexySimmer wrote: »
    Hi Simmers,

Firstly I love that with City Living we can create more ethnically diverse sims and all and City Living is a great Expansion but one thing really annoys me.

Every Single Townie name from when I bought City Living has been diverse sounding.

It's okay for a bit but after a while the only surnames anywhere are Akito Tanaka and Bassawe Gupta as well as Hakim Mansouri, I have yet to see a Townie with a common name,

This is Unrealistic as the majority of people in America (Where SimNation is based on) do not all have Names like this.

I just go in via Manage Households and change the names -- if you use the name randomizer in CAS you've got a good chance of getting a "normal" name. Sometimes I'll keep the name but I'll use cas.fulleditmode cheat to have the Sim more closely match the name (Asian names might get more angled eyes, Indian names darker skin and hair, etc.). Since I'm usually in there changing up the wardrobes for the townies it's not much extra effort to do the name changes.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Le0HeartLe0Heart Posts: 154 Member
    I noticed that as well and honestly I just deleted every homeless townie in my game. Every time they spawn up and I just delete them lol
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    RexySimmer wrote: »
    Hi Simmers,

Pretty sure it's not "based on" one nation. It's an amalgamation that primarily goes for American-ish styles and lifestyle because a big portion of its audience is American.

So... I disagree that it's unrealistic. Heck, I thought the whole point of customization was to be able to make/play the world you want, not a single mono type.

Is it confining in scope because of randomness filters that could use some tuning? Maybe. Unrealistic? No.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I take most of my townies into cas.fulleditmode for a good makeover so I usually rename them while I'm in there.
  • Options
    mistwolf7mistwolf7 Posts: 78 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Yes, having the same issue. I don't mind the diversity, I actually like it, but not to the elimination of the base game surnames. Plus, my game seems to prefer about five specific family names that it repeats over and over again when generating townies. It's a little irritating. :/

That's my issue too. I really like the diversity CL added, but sometimes I'll get like 10 game-generated households who are all unrelated but who all have the same last name. I've had the game generate 2 sims with the same first and last name too. It can get kind of confusing.
  • Options
    RexySimmerRexySimmer Posts: 171 Member
    Who keeps having the surname Srivistra?
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    My game has an even split I would say, which is pretty perfect :) i have read that this is an issue for a lot if simmers though since city living seems to have completely overridden the "common" American randomly generated townies in general
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited September 2017
    I am not from the US and I don't come from an anglophone country. It is always funny to me how Americans (mostly white Americans) refer to non-anglophone names as "exotic" or "ethnic" or "diverse".
    And yes, it happens in my game as well, but to me, those names are as "exotic", "ethnic", or "diverse", as anglophone names. So I pay it no mind, also I don't care about townies at all, I always populate my towns with sims I create.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    RDaanRDaan Posts: 88 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    the people on this site are super sensitive about this :D
    I hate mods but had to get a mod for this cause this is my game and I don't want those names in my game. Not at the level I'm getting them at.

@Simpkin Which mod are you using because every townie in my game seems to be called Abd Al Kahdar
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited September 2017
    I find it depends what type of game you are playing. If you are playing a single household in the city, then most new sims will spawn in the city and have more eastern/ethnically diverse names.

If you live elsewhere and don't visit the city, you will have more western names.

If you live outside of but visit the city, live in the city and visit other worlds a lot, or rotate to different households in different worlds, then you will get a good variety of western and ethnically diverse names.
  • Options
    KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I have the same thing happening in my game. While I like diversity, I feel these City Living names are actually preventing diversity, because every townie seems to get one of them. But to me, it is not really that big of a deal. I just delete all the townies at the end of every sim day. I would also have done that when they had more familiar looking names. Another solution would be to just rename them, but I think that would take a lot of time, because townies seem to generate faster than rabbits reproduce.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I find it depends what type of game you are playing. If you are playing a single household in the city, then most new sims will spawn in the city and have more eastern/ethnically diverse names.

If you live elsewhere and don't visit the city, you will have more western names.

If you live outside of but visit the city, live in the city and visit other worlds a lot, or rotate to different households in different worlds, then you will get a good variety of western and ethnically diverse names.

No, that doesn't work. A good Name Generator mod will be welcome the next time I play TS4. TS2 has dozens of Name Generator mods.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I've noticed this too!! While I don't mind townies having more diverse names, it just seems to dominate the game. @SimGuruNick
  • Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Nice necro...but I love the naming from City Living, more diversity is a great thing.
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Drakos wrote: »
    Nice necro...but I love the naming from City Living, more diversity is a great thing.

Let's please not call out folks for necroposting. :smile:

That said, I am going to be closing this thread. While I think conversation around the pool of names being shown is all well and good, this conversation is a bit older and framed in a way that may come across as dismissive to folks with certain names. If you're still looking to talk about the selection of names, feel free to start a new thread, but please be mindful of the framing you use when talking about the names chosen. Some people may like the diversity of names, and some people may have names like ones mentioned in this thread and feel hurt by folks saying there are too many names showing up like that and not "common names".
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top