Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do to spice up your game when it becomes stale and repetitive?

I've been playing TS4 a lot lately. I stopped for several months due to too many bugs, but with recent patches and/or work-arounds, I've found myself back at it again. I've played so much lately, though, that I'm bored of the same things over and over again. Wondering what features and stories you tell when looking for a new experience?

I've also got a lot of teens who are ready to become young adults, but no university to send them to yet. As excited as I am for Cats and Dogs, I really can't wait for a university EP someday.
Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
Sims 4 Blog
Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.

Comments

• Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I haven't played for a while now, I've been so busy that it's been completely off my mind. To be quite honest, when my game becomes stale, I forget about it for ages and find a new obsession. If I really want to play The Sims 4 though, I'll do a fun challenge or play around in CAS with townies.
  • Options
    Kittie885Kittie885 Posts: 94 Member
    I encounter this problem quite often. When my game becomes stale there are a few things I can do. One of the most common solutions I use is to create some drama in my neighborhood by creating or making one of my sims a murderer or evil. This sim has to kill a lot of other sims. Some mods and cheats help with this. It also gives me an opportunity to experiment with torturing sims!

Another thing is to create stories. Think of an interesting story you would like to play out and just play pretend, like you would with dolls as a kid.

I download more mods and CC and sometimes that helps a lot. With them you can create super attractive sims! Sometimes I come across a sim or make one that I think is simply gorgeous and then when I play them I don't care how boring the game play is because I just have fun staring at that sim all day and being in love with him.

You could try challenges. My favorite has always been the apocalypse challenge. You can look them up online or on the message boards. You can also try your hand at creating your own.

My most recent method of making the game fun again was to download pose player and have fun posing my sims in beautiful ways. I'm an artist so this is one of the ways for me to express my artistic skills and challenge myself with it.

Sometimes you just have to take breaks! <3
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    With a mod like MC Command Center, my game rarely becomes stale -- it's interesting to see who the game matches up. And it can add a lot of extra drama if I allow it. Example: one of my Sims, Cassidy Purdue, met Gunther Munch at the Romance Festival and they started a relationship. Well, at the time Gunther was married to Summer (nee Holiday) and stepdad to her twin boys (Emory and Cameron) from Gavin Richards. Eventually, Cassidy got pregnant with Gunther's son, Jaxon. I wanted Gunther and Cassidy together so I had Summer and Gunther fight and Summer divorced Gunther. She sent Cameron to live with Gavin and his new wife Ulrike, and was going to pack off Emory to Child Services (aka delete him from the game) but Gunther took Emory to live with Cassidy and Jaxon. Gunther and Cassidy had a daughter, Michaela, before they finally had a private elopement.

I also use some other mods that help spice up the game a bit. Someone over at MTS has been making mods to add the City Living "work from home" features to the base game "rabbit hole" careers; currently there are mods for Writing, Painting, Athletic and Business, and Tech Guru has recently been added. I think that sort of function will add some more interest to the base game careers and give a lot more flexibility; I can take turns with my Sims in those careers sending them to work or letting them stay home to do their tasks then have the rest of the day free.

If I feel like a game's being a bit of a drag, I'll go off and do something else -- play a different game, work on writing (I've got a book in my head I'm trying to get out), or do something away from the computer like reading (have a new tablet with a lot of ebooks to catch up on) or crochet. Eventually I'll have an idea for something I want to explore in the Simiverse.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I've been playing TS4 a lot lately. I stopped for several months due to too many bugs, but with recent patches and/or work-arounds, I've found myself back at it again. I've played so much lately, though, that I'm bored of the same things over and over again. Wondering what features and stories you tell when looking for a new experience?

I've also got a lot of teens who are ready to become young adults, but no university to send them to yet. As excited as I am for Cats and Dogs, I really can't wait for a university EP someday.

Me too. How I am playing now is setting me up for University.
    I may be in for a wait, assuming that we are getting it.

What I am currently doing is taking advantage of Toddlers and Parenthood. These are just some of my sims I have had around since the beginning of the game.
    08-22-16_6-10-03nbspPM.png

I thought I would just simply have them all get married and start having children.
    But the problem is I want them to experience University. I really like these sims and want them to experience a more complete game.
    That's why they have been around so long.

So I am aging them down to toddlers and I am going to play them through to Uni.
    MORE:
    This way my sims that were originally born in CAS with no backstory will now have one as I play them.
    Meadow.jpg

Zane.jpg

Bloom2.jpg

On top of this, I have created an orphanage for my supernatural sims.
    Basically playing out my own version of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
    05-24-17_4-47-48nbspPM.png

Meadow Thayer is there as a child abandoned because she attracts ghosts.
    (Sixth Sense--I see dead people)
    05-30-17_6-52-35nbspPM.png

Zane is a vampire.
    05-30-17_9-13-00nbspPM.png

I also have 3 cat sims that were created from illegal genetic experiments.
    18.pngI am not playing all these toddlers at the same time. I am aging them up as others are introduced. The Cat Sims were a problem since they came as a set. They were a handful. I still have a couple of more sims to add. I have an alien girl and a boy genius. It would be nice if we got another supernatural before my scenario is played out.

I plan to stop playing them once Meadow is ready to become a Young Adult.
    I will then set this save aside and start up later when we get University.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    One of the things I like to do is to see how many children one sim can have. Once, one of my sims had about 35 children. Seriously.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I never get bored. Cause I take breaks I guess. And the breaks are in cause I need to update my sims blog regularily. Can't leave til too long to upload pics and update cause I can forget what exactly happened. It can take me weeks before I can be bothered to edit/upload the pics and update the blog.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I just start a new game.
  • Options
    fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    For me, I tend to take LONG breaks if I'm out of my Sims mood. Then suddenly it returns and I play for weeks! I guess it's different for everyone. Sometimes, however, checking out forum posts help me with more ideas I wanna mess around with in Sims4. Posts like this can be very helpful for some.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I just crank out a bunch of new sims with backstories and work on building up a world for them. By the time I'm finished I'm usually ready to see how everything plays out.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I have the MC Command Center mod, have strategically placed mood objects on various community lots and use my sims whims often. My game never gets stale or receptive.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    I'm currently working on a massive challenge-type thing. I don't know if you're interested in Lovecraft-inspired storylines, building, or filling the town with your favorite sim's children, but if you are, here it is: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/924631/the-shadow-over-newcrest-the-challenge-and-the-blog#latest

/shameless self promotion
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I had reached a boring stage, no sims ready to age up or unmarried or ready to have a baby, etc. In my main family. So I just started playing some other households in the game, Travis Scot2t, wife Summer Holiday have 2 teens in my game, so i went in to that household. Was really just planning to work on skills and maybe job levelling. But then the oldest, Savanna, got one of those pop up texts to go to the disco so I sent both teens off with other teens they knew.

Then the next day to the park where Savanna got a teen Boyfriend before the night was over, while her brother entered a mean phase.

So my advise is to play another household, play a close friend or relative or neighbor and/or let the game interject activities and do them to see what happens.

In the same game save earlier on, I played Katrina Calente, had her start an affair with Dominick Fryes, get pregnant by him and have him leave his wife Moria, who then took up with Marcus Flex. Oh yeah, she already had a romantic relationship with him do i just exploited that.

It can be fun to just have a little mini or sideline story to give some variety to your current play.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    15aewar wrote: »
    One of the things I like to do is to see how many children one sim can have. Once, one of my sims had about 35 children. Seriously.

That's intense.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.