Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Massive Speculation: We might get RAIN in TS4 Cats & Dogs!

Comments

• Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited August 2017
    I was thinking though;

Noticed all the fall colored trees in the Cats and Dogs trailer?

It also seems some of the trees only have the tops of the trees in a fall color. I still think adding in rain only wouldn't really make sense, because it can also rain during spring and summer, and trees aren't going to changing into fall colors during Summer anyway.

So why would they give trees fall-like colors if they are only adding rain now? They could have just left the trees untouched.

Unless the different fall colored trees are just for the show, like Appaloosa Plains also had similar fall-like trees in the world.

So here is still hoping we will get a full weather/seasons EP/GP right after Pets. I am pretty sure they will never patch in all full Seasons for free, considering how much of a big seller that EP was in the past.
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    I bet Seasons is the next EP. CL had hints for Pets. Plus, seasons is a huge money maker for EA, there is no way they won't put it in. The sooner for them, the better.
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    I bet Seasons is the next EP. CL had hints for Pets. Plus, seasons is a huge money maker for EA, there is no way they won't put it in. The sooner for them, the better.

Surely hoping for it to be a full EP. And hoping it won't take another year for it to appear again. :/
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    If weather, fully fleshed out, was patched in, maybe Seasons could be a GP. I dunno. Then it would come sooner I would think
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I was thinking though;

It also seems some of the trees only have the tops of the trees in a fall color. I still think adding in rain only wouldn't really make sense, because it can also rain during spring and summer, and trees aren't going to changing into fall colors during Summer anyway.

So why would they give trees fall-like colors if they are only adding rain now? They could have just left the trees untouched.

Unless the different fall colored trees are just for the show, like Appaloosa Plains also had similar fall-like trees in the world.

So here is still hoping we will get a full weather/seasons EP/GP right after Pets. I am pretty sure they will never patch in all full Seasons for free, considering how much of a big seller that EP was in the past.

Except in pets, we had a country world that looks like fall leaves. I don't think we should expect any weather?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I was thinking though;

Except in pets, we had a country world that looks like fall leaves. I don't think we should expect any weather?

Yup, that's why I said it.

Appaloosa Plains (TS3 Pets) also had a world with Fall colors.)
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited August 2017
    If weather, fully fleshed out, was patched in, maybe Seasons could be a GP. I dunno. Then it would come sooner I would think
    This is what I want to see as a large portion of expansion "content" we get now is the worlds. I'd much rather weather be a patch and a game pack come along and add seasonal activities to it. It would be great for weather to be in the core of the game so that all future content works with it and it not be a one and done.

Post edited by ChadSims2 on
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    RamblingNymphRamblingNymph Posts: 13 New Member
    @ChadSims2 I think it's possible that they will add in small amounts of weather by patching it through as a way to test the engine. A big problem with the Sims3 seasons is the lag it created, so they probably will try to add it in 'stages' to produce optimization on this platform.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    There are four major weather states: Rain, Wind, Clouds and Sun.

If these are PATCHED in, then they'll actually affect Seasons itself, making seasons deeper than ever. So snow would be on the ground in Winter... but if it's sunny, you might see slush and thin ice, if it's raining you might see hail, and if it's windy and rainy at once you might get a blizzard.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Hmm, sun already exists. I think clouds should be the easiest to work on, since you just have to change the skybox based on cloudiness. Windiness requires a bit of work to make sure that all effects are taken into account (such as the wind chimes in Backyard stuff, as well as all plants).

Any form of precipitation would be the hardest to do, because they require lots of effects (appearance on windows, effects on pools and roofs, puddles/snow, sims getting soaked in the case of rain, etc.) And we'll also have to consider how the world view will be affected when it's snowy, if they even choose to bother to do so.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    While I'm very skeptical of this possibility, the reason I closely follow this part of the forums is because speculation here usually turns out to be true.

Exactly. I've only been able to guess accurately because of paying attention to this particular forum and not ignoring hints just because they claim they're not hints lol. Sometimes it can be hard to weed through what is likely versus unlikely. But this seems realistic to me. I just wish we didn't have to wait until NOVEMBER to find out for sure
  • Options
    Yes, Sun exists but that's just perpetual sunlight, not something that has an effect on your day.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

I think you might be on to something, after all CL added a keyboard which could play cat and dog noises.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    This is a very exciting theory and honestly, I'm at bit shocked to say it but, it kinda seems plausible to me.... Why not patch in rain? It would most certainly be unexpected, and it's not like they haven't patched in bigger things before.. plus, they can still make a full-fledged seasons EP later where we'll get the actual seasons (there are already other areas that got a bit autumny-looking trees so I'm not sure that's a hint - also they can't really patch in only one season and I somehow don't see them giving away snow for free) & everything else that comes with it, like a world ... Ahh I don't know. I don't want to get my hopes up, but ... this would be awesome wouldn't it. So I'll pretend not to be a little intrigued, because somehow this all seems less far-fetched than it may sound to some. But hey, we won't know til we know I guess.
  • Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    A part of me want's to be excited about this and wants to think that rain is coming but then another part of me is telling me not to get my hopes up. With the puddles I feel like they were just put there for the trailer. Ah I am just so torn right now because I wana hop on that hype train lol.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Also, the last patch notes were pretty weird lol ok I have to stop looking into this now *forces herself off the hype train*
  • Options
    Beena0721Beena0721 Posts: 82 Member
    edited August 2017
    Also did anyone else notice (edit) Friday's tweet? All this talk of weather is getting mighty suspicious...

• Options
    Beena0721 wrote: »
    Also did anyone else notice (edit) Friday's tweet? All this talk of weather is getting mighty suspicious...

Yeah, indeed.

But it still can be warm when it rains, so this implies (if we take this as a hint) there is colder weather coming too. x)
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    I'm usually very skeptical when it comes to speculation, but this really sounds plausible! The only worry I have is that rain might change the specs needed for the game (I know that in TS2, my game would be noticeably slower when it rained), and it could therefore not be patched in. But with all these hints being dropped, I'm actually very hopeful. Only thing I fear is that my laptop will not be able to handle it. :#
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    I'm thinking eventual mixes of weather and seasons. Like, getting hot sunny weather in Spring is pleasant. Getting hot sunny weather in summer is.... painful. Oasis Springs wouldn't rationally have snow, but that wouldn't mean it doesn't have winter. If it's windy or sunny, regarding the Eco-Life pack, your clothes will dry quicker.

Oh, and did anybody else notice that we got old-fashioned radiators and more pipes in Vampires?
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    My teasing alarm has gone off.

Yes I actually have one.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    Here's the thing: EA knows most of us really want weather/seasons in our game, so why tease us and not deliver? Not only would it be cruel :'( , it wouldn't make good business sense! If they teased us with this and then pulled the rug out from under us, I think mobs of people would come after them with pitchforks or something! :# Why would they risk making their customers angry on purpose? :s While I don't think the angry mobs would actually happen (hope not! :o ) there would be incredible backlash here and on Twitter, YouTube, etc. and many people would give up on The Sims. Its one thing to leave something out, it is an entirely different thing to tease people on purpose if you have no plans to follow through. So, at this point, I would say they pretty much have to go through with it now! ;)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    > @PugLove888 said:
    > Here's the thing: EA knows most of us really want weather/seasons in our game, so why tease us and not deliver? Not only would it be cruel :'( , it wouldn't make good business sense! If they teased us with this and then pulled the rug out from under us, I think mobs of people would come after them with pitchforks or something! :# Why would they risk making their customers angry on purpose? :s While I don't think the angry mobs would actually happen (hope not! :o ) there would be incredible backlash here and on Twitter, YouTube, etc. and many people would give up on The Sims. Its one thing to leave something out, it is an entirely different thing to tease people on purpose if you have no plans to follow through. So, at this point, I would say they pretty much have to go through with it now! ;)

Maybe since they can't talk of any of their upcoming content, they decided to put this teases to say that they are working on seasons ;)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I suspect that SimGuruGnome is regretting have played with the phrase "raining cats and dogs" :( It makes zero sense from Maxis's perspective to throw weather - a hugely expensive development project they'd want to hype to the max - in as a side thing to another pack. It also makes zero sense to patch it in, which would kill off all your players on lower-end systems who wouldn't be able to play with a weather pack installed. Zero sense at all. Ain't gonna happen.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited August 2017
    I suspect that SimGuruGnome is regretting have played with the phrase "raining cats and dogs" :( It makes zero sense from Maxis's perspective to throw weather - a hugely expensive development project they'd want to hype to the max - in as a side thing to another pack. It also makes zero sense to patch it in, which would kill off all your players on lower-end systems who wouldn't be able to play with a weather pack installed. Zero sense at all. Ain't gonna happen.

What you write is not necessarily wrong - however: From an economical Point of view it's actually quite plausible (and a very modern Approach for today's Standards) since Live Service games usually provide somewhat bigger Content updates anyway.

You can tease a mechanic in a free update in order to sell the "full" package via dlc later on. We've seen something similar happen with Get Together (--> Group patch came for free, Clubs-functionality has to be bought).

---

Regarding the system requirements: It's very important to Point out that Publishers USUALLY (exceptions prove the rule --> World of Warcraft, League of Legends) won't raise the specs in the middle of the lifespan of a game. However, maybe adding rain (it's just fx effects anyway for the most part) won't have a major Impact on the Hardware in the end. You can compare it to Cities: Skylines --> The addon "Snowfall" which also introduced rain to the game has not raised the specs at all.

Basegame: http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/Cities_Skylines/
    Addon: http://store.steampowered.com/app/420610/Cities_Skylines__Snowfall/

There is still hope guys.

Edit: I was lying: Cities Skylines added rain FOR FREE (!) just before they released the addon "Snowfall".
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."