Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

At EA Play, they may have hinted that a new Sims game is coming.

At one point, the presenter said that their new studio which focuses on innovation is working on a new game that lets you, instead of playing one character like usual in games, create thousands of unique characters to play with and the way they described this was just like the sims, which is the only ea franchise or game type that does that. And since this is a new studio focused in pushing innovation, I'd even dare say it's a Sims game for VR.

There is no video of the presentation yet, but what do you think, and did you watch this part of the presentation?

Comments

• Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    sims mobile probably
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    sims mobile probably

It was new unannounced game from a new studio, can't be that.
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    hmm..sounds interesting. thousands of characters at a time? wow.
  • Options
    CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    I wonder if it's perhaps an RTS where you create your own units.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Probably not Sims related. The powers that be did state that there was going to be nothing regarding the franchise at the EA presser.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2017
    I was checking a little while ago on some of the old SimGurus not seen around anymore and I saw that one who had worked on all of the games was working on something unannounced. It could have been Mobile - though that seems a step back for that person.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Thousands of unique characters eh?

I wonder if it's maybe a combination of SimCity and The Sims, and instead of playing a single household you play as an entire city and sort of hop between stories (kind of like Sims Medieval)...
  • Options
    Here's an article that sums up what was said: https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/10/15776266/e3-2017-ea-seed-announcement

“We want to blur the line between reality and the virtual world,” Söderlund said. “What if instead of giving millions of players control of a single virtual character, we had games with millions of characters shaped by you, our players?”
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Sigh well let's hope they're not gonna make the mistake YET AGAIN. Why can't they just make an awesome AA Sims game like TS2?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Simanite wrote: »
    Sigh well let's hope they're not gonna make the mistake YET AGAIN. Why can't they just make an awesome AA Sims game like TS2?

IMO it doesn't sound like a traditional Sims game, more like an MMO or something along those lines.. "millions of characters shaped by you, our players?"

So don't be expecting TS5, I guess. :lol:

ETA: It's probably got nothing to do with The Sims anyway, the more I think about it, the more it sounds like some sort of online game with characters that have been made by other players, like how in Spore your game is stuffed with other player's creations from the online gallery.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    It's not even a game. It's just a new team that's working on some new tech, which could be used for their future games. The team itself is not making a game.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    It's not even a game. It's just a new team that's working on some new tech, which could be used for their future games. The team itself is not making a game.

Sounds like a VR-based Second Life type scenario, being more space for interaction than game, but a space in which play could be an activity. (Everyone I know who's used Second Life has used it for non-game activity, mostly meetings of various kinds.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I would be... beyond disappointed if the next Sims type game were virtual reality. I just have no interest in VR games right now. It's not for me.

But who knows what the new project is. Maybe it's not The Sims but a spin off series of some type?
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Sims Online! Where you create a Sim that is your avatar and go on an online world and try to create a legacy of your own! Its like Club Penguin (rip) cross every Sims 4 Legacy challenge!!!! (Just me spit balling an idea here)
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Here's an article that sums up what was said: https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/10/15776266/e3-2017-ea-seed-announcement

“We want to blur the line between reality and the virtual world,” Söderlund said. “What if instead of giving millions of players control of a single virtual character, we had games with millions of characters shaped by you, our players?”

Yeah, the quote is not exactly what I said. Tough to remember. But it sounds like a vr mmo of sorts! And it kind of sounds like it's in the sense of you, the player, will be able to control these multiple characters rather than a world where everyone does their characters and only interact with the others.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I wouldn't normally comment in here, but I don't see any reason to let a misunderstanding lead to rumor mongering within the community.

Patrick Söderlund's comments were not related to a new Sims game. While the SEED studio's explorations into new technology may provide learnings that benefit studio's across EA someday, there is no announcement at EA Play of any new Sims game or project. We are only at EA Play to show The Sims 4 and The Sims Mobile.

I think you may have single handedly saved this Simming community at least 100 manhours of useless typing.
    Good looking out. B)
  • Options
    emyprice95emyprice95 Posts: 344 Member
    I wouldn't normally comment in here, but I don't see any reason to let a misunderstanding lead to rumor mongering within the community.

Patrick Söderlund's comments were not related to a new Sims game. While the SEED studio's explorations into new technology may provide learnings that benefit studio's across EA someday, there is no announcement at EA Play of any new Sims game or project. We are only at EA Play to show The Sims 4 and The Sims Mobile.

I know that the Simgurus specifically stay away from this section so that we can speculate to our hearts' content, but I always really appreciate it when a Simguru steps in to a thread in the Speculation and Rumour section to steer the speculation in the right direction. :smile: Thanks SimGuru Graham! :smiley:
    I'm a CC Creator and family player that is super hyped that toddlers are back! :smiley:

My simblr is Emy the Gamer
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

Sounds like a VR-based Second Life type scenario, being more space for interaction than game, but a space in which play could be an activity. (Everyone I know who's used Second Life has used it for non-game activity, mostly meetings of various kinds.)

I have a friend who's part of a community that's really vibrant in Second Life -- they have online concerts (that often expand into real life music events) and the like.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

Nipped in the bud fast!

All we want is some of the technology and expertise seen in the Fifa 17/18 podcast used on our game. We are left drifting in the backwaters behind them.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Sounds like Multi Player, Virtual Reality game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    sims mobile probably

It was new unannounced game from a new studio, can't be that.

no i am pretty sure its like they released the trailer. but not everyone may have seen the trailer so they are offically 100% anocuing the sims moblie now for people who are at ea play and only the people watch ea play or to go ea play to get any annocucments about any products about ea :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Seed is a division of EA -

EA updated with a video in what Seed is doing -you can see it here:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-10-electronic-arts-teases-new-seed-division-biowares-next-ip-anthem

See the video with the young girls face - that is it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-10-electronic-arts-teases-new-seed-division-biowares-next-ip-anthem

Looks cool. But still vague as plum.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Looks cool. But still vague as plum.

Well yes - they seem to be testing and using innovative work to help expand EA's games - as they say in the video to find ways to blurr the lines between reality and games. Both from the video and what Patrick said indicates to me this is not a particular game but these people are looking into ways to expand all EA's big games through all this reseach and trials and things.

Granted the Sims may or may not benefit - it all depends probably if Maxis finally moves our next game onto EA famed Frostbyte game engine that all their big game use. I also think it may have a great deal to do with VR too - as to me that is one way to blurr the lines between reality and games for sure.

Unfortunately for me I will be left in the dark as I do not do well with VR. I get serious vertigo - like the worse case of motion sickness ever when ever I tried testing any thing in relation to VR. But it does sound promising for tons of gamers of tomorrow and any other technology this group of people work with. They sound like an amazing research team.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....