Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IDK, Barbara? (We are bad at naming things) -- A United Reading Heptagon

Comments

• Options
    SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Hello there, peeps! :blush: passing by to say..hi! As I have some free-time, I will now awnser the questions!

What does everyone struggle with in terms of plot?
    I struggle with...hum...I think what's useful info, and what's not, as who knows how much info I wrote down in the story that was never used for the ''main plot'', like Gregory's mother that appeard really fast in only one chapter, and was never talked about again. sorry Georgia... And how to get the story from one point to another. I still struggle with keeping things fast ( I don't update a lot, so each chapter has to have something to with the story. :D ) without looking...unnatural, in a way, I also need to be more organized! :DAs you all can see now....

Who is/are the main protagonist(s) in your story?
    Robin, Gabrielle, and James! :)

At least for now, we had Lucia and Esmeralda, but I'm planning on not using more '' evil masterminds'' in the story. :DEven though making a comic book story dosen't seem like a bad idea...

For Wordpress, how do you make it ya know so organized and pretty?
    Personally, I don't think mine is pretty at all. :s I made the site one day, and even thought about changing the layout and stuff later, but I just didn't know how to make the picture on the top look better, or how to set up things in a better way than before...Thinking about it now, I could go see videos on youtube about that. :sweat_smile: Gonna think about re-modeling after this ( another) hiatus! ;)

Okay, I'm going to try to update myself on everyone's story's this weekand, and I'm sorry if I can't do it. :s Bye for now! :)

xoxoxoxoxox
  • Options
    ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    Hey guys! I need to go back through and catch up with everything going on here but I wanted to let you know I am alive. :D

I was out of power for a week from the storm since it passed right. over. my. county. ;_; Anyways, there was no damage besides my fence (RIP fence). My computer is officially in a shop now but idk how long it'll take them to fix it. They said my motherboard was toast so they're going through the warranty process for me. Hopefully soon though!

How is everyone here doing?
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Arrowleaf !!!! We have missed you :heart: I'm glad you're okay!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Heya @Arrowleaf! I'm glad you're alive and well! :D

Who is/are the main protagonist(s) in your story? Your antagonists?
    I'm going to merge those two questions into one because I don't really know how to not talk about one without the other :joy:
    Alrighty... Let's see... I originally had it simply as Lyle/Peter as my protagonist and Joseph as my antagonist, since they're definitely at the top as my main characters. It only makes sense that the two that the story focuses on has the top roles, right? Unfortunately it isn't really a hero-villain kind of relationship as much as I'd like. There's too much thinking involved. :sob:
    If I had to categorize everyone into a Good Guy/Bad Guy list, that's also pretty hard since it sort of depends on who's looking at who and how. That's my fault I guess, since I don't want to have a truly good or truly bad guy. Everyone's pretty bad in their own ways I guess, or maybe I'm thinking a bit too much about this question LOL
    I guess everyone's a hero and a villain in my story.

Probably except Royce. He's just boring and I don't like him ;)
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    Hi all! I got home last night and leave again in the morning. :cry: I have been trying to stay caught up with stories.

@Arrowleaf - happy to hear it was only your fence! Hope you are able to get your PC back up and running with minimal expenses.

As far as my protagonists go, there were some characters for sure, Reid, Angie, Miranda....and of course the biggest one was Newt, but as we are seeing, a lot of it is also the characters themselves and how they learning to love and trust again and adjust to their new reality. Or not...in Ben's case... :)
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 Thank you! I missed you guys so much. :blush:

Okay, I read all the pages! :D I loved reading everyone's answers and seeing that a lot people have a similar but different process to me with writing.

@AudreyFld Some of your TS4 characters look like CLONES of their TS3 counterparts. You did such a good job with all of them! They're all beautiful (especially Newt).

What is your process for coming up with these varied plot lines?

Usually, for generation one, there is a story brewing in my mind that I want to tell. In Chasing Rainbows I really wanted to do a rainbowcy and every single rainbowcy had segregation in it during the first generation but the founder and their spouse never ran into any issues despite marrying a different color berry. Then in future generations the segregation just… stops. I thought it would be really cool to take a fantasy world and explore slavery, racism, segregation ect and that’s where Chasing Rainbows came from. The Landon’s was a story I had in my head for a very very long time and is based on the life of some people I know. Future generations of the Landon’s will also be loosely based off of people I know.

As for the heir’s story lines: while I am going through a generation I always think about how that generation (as eventual parents) would influence their children. When I get around to rolling the heir’s traits on the random roller, I then start to think how that child will interact with their parent’s lifestyle, their parents, their siblings (if they have any), school, ect. It helps me develop them and then, based on that information, I can try to figure out what kind of trouble they might run into in life. I already have all the way to generation 3 figured out for the Landon’s so, yeah (yes, I rolled traits THAT far ahead). xD

Two things that are kind of similar: Pacing and detailing out my outlines into actual chapters. My issue with both is I am constantly worrying if the pace is too slow or too fast. Sometimes I feel like get overly flowerly in my writing but then sometimes I will read a chapter and think I didn’t put nearly enough details into it. Both issues boil down to not wanting to bore the readers.

Do you have any facts, or small details that you thought about, but that where never said in the story?

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. And sometimes when people say something I’m like ‘How can you not like ____! They did all this stuff… oh wait, you don’t know about that. Nevermind.’ >_>

Founder and heirs!

Who/what is/are the main antagonist(s) in your story?

I would say there are usually external forces at work in the Chasing Rainbows series. In the Landon’s it is more ‘I am my own worst enemy’.

What are you having issues with? I can try to help you out. :]
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    Arrowleaf wrote: »

Okay, I read all the pages! :D I loved reading everyone's answers and seeing that a lot people have a similar but different process to me with writing.

@AudreyFld Some of your TS4 characters look like CLONES of their TS3 counterparts. You did such a good job with all of them! They're all beautiful (especially Newt).

Usually, for generation one, there is a story brewing in my mind that I want to tell. In Chasing Rainbows I really wanted to do a rainbowcy and every single rainbowcy had segregation in it during the first generation but the founder and their spouse never ran into any issues despite marrying a different color berry. Then in future generations the segregation just… stops. I thought it would be really cool to take a fantasy world and explore slavery, racism, segregation ect and that’s where Chasing Rainbows came from. The Landon’s was a story I had in my head for a very very long time and is based on the life of some people I know. Future generations of the Landon’s will also be loosely based off of people I know.

As for the heir’s story lines: while I am going through a generation I always think about how that generation (as eventual parents) would influence their children. When I get around to rolling the heir’s traits on the random roller, I then start to think how that child will interact with their parent’s lifestyle, their parents, their siblings (if they have any), school, ect. It helps me develop them and then, based on that information, I can try to figure out what kind of trouble they might run into in life. I already have all the way to generation 3 figured out for the Landon’s so, yeah (yes, I rolled traits THAT far ahead). xD

Two things that are kind of similar: Pacing and detailing out my outlines into actual chapters. My issue with both is I am constantly worrying if the pace is too slow or too fast. Sometimes I feel like get overly flowerly in my writing but then sometimes I will read a chapter and think I didn’t put nearly enough details into it. Both issues boil down to not wanting to bore the readers.

Do you have any facts, or small details that you thought about, but that where never said in the story?

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. And sometimes when people say something I’m like ‘How can you not like ____! They did all this stuff… oh wait, you don’t know about that. Nevermind.’ >_>

Founder and heirs!

I would say there are usually external forces at work in the Chasing Rainbows series. In the Landon’s it is more ‘I am my own worst enemy’.

@Arrowleaf *hugs* It's so good to have you back! I laughed when you said Newt was close! He's one of the ones I worried about the most not looking close enough! :joy:

And Wordpress....Trying to decide if it's worth switching for my new story...which is essentially a continuation of Starting Over.. :)
  • Options
    @AudreyFld I am going to say "yes" to Wordpress, for partially selfish reasons (*cough* being able to comment without issue *cough* :joy:) and partially not-selfish :tongue: This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt! Here are the non-selfish reasons I think it would be good to make the switch:

1. Most Simlit people these days use Wordpress, so it's a format most of your readers would be familiar with/comfortable with
    2. With Wordpress, when people follow your blog, it will show up on their WP reader when you post new updates. This will make it easier for people to see your updates.
    3. There are lots of simlit folks out there who use WP but are not active on the forums. I am not sure EXACTLY how, but I have many Wordpress readers who did not come from the forums. They somehow just happened to find my story. And they are able to like and comment on chapters because they have WP accounts :)

Those are the biggest reasons I can think of right now. Just some food for thought! The biggest con to switching would be that you would have to learn how to use WP. But it's not so bad :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 - thanks for the input on WP. I have an account but have never tried to use it. :p

You are right, a ton of folks do seem to prefer it over Blogger. I guess I'll have to give it a try. I can't believe how long it's taking me to get the epilogue finished. I am so done with this travel. :rage:
  • Options
    LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    Arrowleaf wrote: »

Founder and heirs!

@Arrowleaf I feel like everything is so confusing really lol I'm not good at setting it up.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    Hey all! I am working hard on my next story doing a lot of writing and not enough going in game! :joy: Of course that is because I am in Chicago this week and my PC lives in Texas! I won't be home until Friday. :(

As I have been writing I realized I am in a similar situation as others have found themselves. In need of extra sims!

I don't want to play with the usual suspects in TS4 - you know - the Goths, the Pancakes, Don Lothario etc....I plan to delete them and add new blood. But that will take me forever. So I need sims! But not just to populate the town but for supporting roles. I am not sure I have enough readers to get any via casting calls on my story thread.

I need young adult sims of both genders and any families that I can use to populate the towns. I know I can go to the gallery, but don't really want to. Should I start a separate thread to try and get sims that way? :grey_question:

@CitizenErased14 and @cecerose0208 - you guys have done casting calls. How did you do it?
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Heya guys, I feel like it's been forever since I looked at the green background of the forums :sob: I've been pretty low these days because of school being exhausting and my only outlet being playing The Godfather: The Game on my old ps2 and blowing up trucks for petty cash when I get back from the hospital LOL. :sob:

On that topic of Wordpress, I think it's easy to get used to if you stay on the very basic of things. Just fool around a little on the site to orient yourself to it! But if you need any help, we're all here for you guys :)

@AudreyFld Ayee Chicago, we're breathing the same air!! :joy:
    If you need any weird little families, I have several in my gallery :) Not many toddlers though, since I haven't gotten any ideas for ones with toddlers. ...Aside from one, but I've been trying to figure out how to cut their little bio backstory into something short enough to fit in the box... :joy:
    I'm a little trash at making single sims I think, but I'll chuck one in for your story if you don't have enough!
  • Options
    @AudreyFld I think making a separate thread to ask for sims is a fine idea! I know there are tons of people around who love making sims and I'm sure they'd be happy to help out! (Plus, from another perspective, this could be a way to "advertise" your story a little bit ahead of time ;) People who submit sims might end up as readers when your story releases because they want to see if their sims make an appearance ;) )
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @cement - cool! So close yet so far! :) Haha! But the weather has been good so far.

@CitizenErased14 - Thanks. Great idea about a way to advertise! I think I will do that. I will post on my story thread and start a new post as well in the forums. I supose it should go in the stories section. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @AudreyFld I know someone who would love to do it! Also, you could choose two sims from the gallery and give them offspring then delete the gallery sims.

We're getting CLOSER to the release of cats and dogs! I'm so excited!
    Post edited by LillyDoves on
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    How do you put a next chapter button in Wordpress?

Also, for plot, how do you choose the spouse for your characters?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    @LillyDoves Not sure which WP theme you've chosen, but a lot of them have the next chapter button built in automatically :) Otherwise, I believe you have to manually put the button at the end of your chapter? (I might be wrong!)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 Which theme would you recommend?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    @AudreyFld I second the wordpress vote. Wordpress is better imo. Blogger just tends to be more of a pain than WP in so many ways and is often more convenient for readers. I think starting a thread just for roll calls is fine. Most people do this (I did, Pam does, Maladi does, ect ect). If my computer gets done before you start your story/have enough rolls I will make sims for you. I love making sims in the Sims 4.

@LillyDoves I'm pretty sure all themes do the next post thing. The theme will just change where the next post link is located (at the top of the chapter, bottom or below comments). I greatly prefer themes that do it below the chapter but above the comments, and you can rummage through all the free themes in order to find one that works best for what you want.

As for the the plot question, most of the time my spouses are determined by the story and not by the game. Sometimes, if there are multiple characters I like for the role and I cannot chose, I'll let the characters 'choose' their own spouse by leaving them on free will and letting them sort of decide who they click best with. I've only ever done this once, though.
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Awesome! I just finished planning out Junipers story line and realized that everything she did and will do is because of one event that happened before the story started. Has anyone else had that happen?

I'm also thinking of doing another story with the Orphan Challenge.

The Protagonist in The Bays: Serene, Isobel, Seth, Rylan, Tabitha
    The Antagonist in the Bays: Caroline and Juniper but more so Caroline

Valentine and Hayden are both more like side characters used to move the plot along and connect events together.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    I am home! :) I will be here for a week before I have to go again. At least it's just an overnight trip instead of several days. I got a thread posted for a casting call! It can be found here. Hop over and take a look. :)
  • Options
    SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Hey hey hey, it's me! :D Passing by to say hey, everyone! Hope you all had a Nice week. :)
    Heya, @Arrowleaf ! Bad thing with the fence...Good you are alive and well! :)
    @AudreyFld Ohhh, a casting call! Depending in how much time it stays open I might do some sims! :)
    @LillyDoves Kinda of did that to some characters in my story...buuuut that's another sotry. ;) this was so bad I'm cringing
    Just two more weeks to come! :triumph: Hope you all continue to be well. :)

Bye-Onara! :D
  • Options
    Hi @Sourocha - have fun for the next couple of weeks! Hope you have some sims for me!
  • Options
    @AudreyFld I can't help but ask haha what kind of job do you have where you have to travel THIS much? It seems kind of annoying! But I'm glad you at least have a week off, then just a day trip :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @AudreyFld I can't help but ask haha what kind of job do you have where you have to travel THIS much? It seems kind of annoying! But I'm glad you at least have a week off, then just a day trip :)

Ha - you are going to be sorry you asked! I am a Corporate/Client Trainer for a VERY large bank...We demo our software products for VERY large prospective clients and train them once we onboard them. They use our products to manage their payables. There are six of us that cover the US and Canada and we all sit in different areas of the US. We do a lot of onsite training for huge clients - think names we all know and love - I apologize for being vague. We aren't allowed to go into detail on social media.

Anyway, I also do educational presentations where we bring in a small number of clients and serve them lunch and explain how the products work to help them manage their cash flow. Last week we hosted a user conference for 175 clients over 3 days and this week I was in Chicago for a team meeting all week. Ugh... When I am not traveling, we are doing the same thing via webex presentations. And I get to work from home when I am not on the road.

Boring. :/ Now you see why I am having so much fun with this! :joy: