Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Explain CityLiving

Ok I just got it. I'm poking around but..what do we do? I have an apartment. It shows different districts but what do you do after that? Am I missing something? How is this an expansion pack? There isn't anything to DO. Explain it to me. Enlighten me. Pretty please?
let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
*Team Seasons*
XtR6m6.png

Comments

• Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    You experience the definition of buyer's remorse.

Have fun!
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'll leave the explaining to the Asian dudes.
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    City Living I found is an odd expansion. There are quite a few things though. There are three new careers you can try which actually have work from home options such as the political career, where you get to go on smaller live tasks such as giving speeches and protests. There are also the festivals that happen once in a while that can be checked out such as the romance festival and flea market. Speaking of, you can buy the selling tables and portable art selling wall as well. So if you wanted to host an impromptu bake sale (so long as you have baked goods) you can do so, placing it anywhere in the world, much like the camping gear from Outdoor retreat. Your sims can also sing now so if you want to put something around that you can, as there are now karaoke bars that they can try out. And they can also sing while playing instruments when good enough.

Like any expansion/DLC, it is what you make of it so you might find other ways to use what the pack provides.

Happy Simming!
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Here are two links that will explain the new features and it's gameplay!

https://simsvip.com/sims-4-city-living-guide/

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_4:_City_Living
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    hellojewby wrote: »
    Ok I just got it. I'm poking around but..what do we do? I have an apartment. It shows different districts but what do you do after that? Am I missing something? How is this an expansion pack? There isn't anything to DO. Explain it to me. Enlighten me. Pretty please?

Get out of the building and go explore the city. You should go to the small karaoke place with all the karaoke machines. Try to get your Sim the new singing skill, and then head over there and get in a contest with other Sims. The singing is so horrible it will make you roll on floor, at least it did me.

Wait for the festival announcements and visit those. You can get some new stuff not in buy mode. Such as swag. And win some free fireworks, good for starting fires, too. >:) Decide if you want your Sim to level up eating spicy food. That didn't interest me, but at least try some.

Check out the new careers, you can work from home. That's a plus on those. And they aren't easily accomplished. Especially if you have toddlers in an apartment good luck with that.

The neighbor experience depends on if you have several in a building. If there is no neighbors the experience will be boring. It's when they complain that makes it fun. :D

If you like the flea market you should make your Sim visit one. And if you really want to play a poor Sim then have them collect stuff, and buy a flea market table and set it in the world close to home. Fill it and go run it everyday. It will stay safe and your Sim can have a yard sale as long as you have stuff for the table anywhere in any world.

Try your had at being a politician, speeches aren't easy, and who is going to listen? lol

Or be a food critic, that's an interesting one, too.

Looking for romance? Hop over to the romance festival where everyone is flirty.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Here's another guide that should get you started.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/cityliving/
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think some people try to do everything in a festival in one visit. Personally, I don't do that. The festivals are just another option for my sims or a backdrop for whatever is going on among my sims. Someone might go on a date or looking for a date there. Someone else might just want to get out of the house. Another sim might browse the flea market or sell paintings or gather free herbs at the spice festival. Because my sims all differ in terms of what they do at a festival, I don't get bored or feel like I've done everything at them.

My sims move to San Myshuno if they want to live in an urban apartment. They visit San Myshuno if they want to hang out in more of a city or eat at a food stall or if they want to party with karaoke. There could be more community venues. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll release an extension like Magnolia Springs. For now, as others have pointed out in another thread, you can customize certain lots with other content that you have to give the city more of the feel that you are wanting if you aren't happy with the venues that are there. I'm cool with them but I also have a bunch of other venues in the various worlds that any of my sims can visit.

If you are looking for some sort of directed gameplay, the setting lends itself to a rags-to-riches story. Start in a dingy apartment and work your way to a posh penthouse. Also, others have mentioned the work-from-home option for careers which does add flexibility.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    Move to the Spice District. Either take the apartment with the TLC trait, or add it to your apartment. For even more excitement, add the Gremlins trait.
    Now, cook a dinner, and, before you eat, practice singing or playing an instrument. Before the next morning your Sim will have found all sorts of things to do.
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    1. Live in an apartment themed house that you can redecorate (no custom apartments, nor can they be used outside of the city world)
    2. Visit the festivals when they pop up, they don't change so once you've done it once you've done it all you realistically need to.
    3. Experience heavily Americanized foreign 'culture'
    4. Look at the fake bustling city (holds zero gameplay value whatsoever, but the developers made sure to use this as a marketing tool)

City Living is not a good EP in my opinion. There's barely anything in it, but what is there heavily borrows from the base game. Every feature was inflated far beyond their usefulness, and pretty much none of the big new features can be utilized by the player outside of the way Maxis wants them to be used. The city world itself, which was essentially Maxis top priority for the entire pack, is super small and IMO looks super ugly. My general rule of thumb with Sims 4 is if they advertise the world as a feature the pack is going to be a major disappointment. It started with Get Together which shipped with an abysmally small amount of new stuff, and continued with this pack although they put a lot of effort into reusing what was already there. Not exactly what I am looking for in a $40 DLC.
  • Options
    Cathound01Cathound01 Posts: 69 Member
    1. Live in an apartment themed house that you can redecorate (no custom apartments, nor can they be used outside of the city world)
    2. Visit the festivals when they pop up, they don't change so once you've done it once you've done it all you realistically need to.
    4. Look at the fake bustling city (holds zero gameplay value whatsoever, but the developers made sure to use this as a marketing tool)

City Living is not a good EP in my opinion. There's barely anything in it, but what is there heavily borrows from the base game. Every feature was inflated far beyond their usefulness, and pretty much none of the big new features can be utilized by the player outside of the way Maxis wants them to be used. The city world itself, which was essentially Maxis top priority for the entire pack, is super small and IMO looks super ugly. My general rule of thumb with Sims 4 is if they advertise the world as a feature the pack is going to be a major disappointment. It started with Get Together which shipped with an abysmally small amount of new stuff, and continued with this pack although they put a lot of effort into reusing what was already there. Not exactly what I am looking for in a $40 DLC.

And how does this differ from any other feature in any other pack? In any other version of the game?

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited March 2017
    Cathound01 wrote: »

And how does this differ from any other feature in any other pack? In any other version of the game?

What do you mean?

Festivals in Sims 3 were fully customizable, and could be created and placed in any world EA or custom. For every world EA released (even store worlds) they released a separate festival lot for free for players with Seasons installed. Sims 2 didn't have festivals so there's no comparison that can be made.

There is such a thing as replay value. Something the festivals definitely do not have IMO. If we could create them ourselves it would be a different story, but as is the festivals are primarily repurposed base game stuff that will not change no matter how many times you visit them.

ETA: Building on festivals, I used to add all kinds of things in Sims 3. The seasonal lot market was phenomenal and allowed me to have dynamic changing festivals, that I could change even further if I felt bored with the selections. Sims 4 does not do this, and will not do this in the foreseeable future. Once you have visited the festivals you have done all you need to do, because you as the player have no option for any kind of different experience.
  • Options
    PoKiTauru5PoKiTauru5 Posts: 105 Member
    City Living is arguably the weakest EP. At least GTW had Aliens to mess around with, and retail.

Besides apartments, festivals and that new singing skill, there really isn't much going on. The whole city is just a backdrop. It's still the same game.

Get Together is the only EP that really impacts the gameplay.