Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Octagon House

I have been playing around making octagon homes. It makes for a weird layout, but it is also kind of cool. My lastest build. I'm not entirely happy with the roof. And I haven't done much with the second floor at this point.

Here is the Gallery Link.

2gvjxxc.png

2zr44lh.png

14judyq.png

2pzwn69.png

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Octagon House looks very nice! :) Very nice octagonal shape of the building! The roofing looks very nice! The windows look very nice how they are placed in the home. Very nice layout of the interior of the home! The wall pattern in the kitchen areas looks nice. Very nice sunken sitting room!
    It is a very nice home! :)
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Thank you, @rosemow <3
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    I have not yet try to built an octagon house, basically I would have trouble with the interior furniture layout but it seem to me you have did an amazing job, indeed a very nice octagon house. :)

The Sims Game
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I've tried a few, I like to make the entire outside windows. But I run into the same problem as you, the roof options are just terrible. I end up leaving them flat, sometimes with a way up to a patio, but I'm never really happy with them.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    AntoniaBaybeeAntoniaBaybee Posts: 160 Member
    Such a beautiful home. Very inspiring and creative. I'm putting this on my to do list once I expand my skills.
    Antonia Louise <3
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Your house looks very nice. I've made a few houses and businesses using the octagon shape. I find it better to use a flat roof. There's a black gravel floor that I love for flat roofs. Also, it allows for a skylight here and there. Plus, it gives a good place for roof AC units.
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    Oh Wow that's lovely. As for the roof it annoys me no end there's no easy roof option. I don't know it the conical roof tutorial here (another thread on here) would help. I've done a gazebo roof of both sizes used in the tutorial without an issue (except that it's ridiculous we're having to slot together so many different roof pieces) but no idea if it will scale up (I'm assuming the middle point will be far too high) but maybe it'll give you some ideas. To be honest though the roof looks pretty good as you've done it.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I like your layout!
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Did you use moveobjects on?
  • Options
    Yes, I always do us move objects.
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Reminds me of a yurt! Yurts are awesome! Once my internet is running again I'm gonna download it! A smaller version would make a great tiny house! I built one, but deleted because I was unsure of the roof, but your idea is really smart!
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Also, how did you get the sunken sitting area? (Sorry, I can't edit posts yet)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Great job!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Meow_its_DanforthMeow_its_Danforth Posts: 86 Member

Wow thats amazing! Great job. Love the set up!
  • Options
    Also, how did you get the sunken sitting area? (Sorry, I can't edit posts yet)

You have to have it as a separate room, then remove the walls and floor.
  • Options
    Reminds me of a yurt! Yurts are awesome! Once my internet is running again I'm gonna download it! A smaller version would make a great tiny house! I built one, but deleted because I was unsure of the roof, but your idea is really smart!

I made a smaller one but it had really weird walls and wasted space. I think if you did it as one room it could work as a tiny house.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Octagon builds definitely provide a challenge. I made a lighthouse awhile back with that type of room.
    69Da7n9.jpg
    PPfL78Z.jpg
    6Y4vOEO.jpg
    AS8GodU.jpg
    akrfB66.jpg
    zDqrDQc.jpg
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Octagon builds definitely provide a challenge. I made a lighthouse awhile back with that type of room.
    69Da7n9.jpg
    PPfL78Z.jpg
    6Y4vOEO.jpg
    AS8GodU.jpg
    akrfB66.jpg
    zDqrDQc.jpg

It looks like it needs spiral stairs, (sadly they don't exist in the game), but nice.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    looks great , it reminds me of all those different type dome houses they built in the 70's
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    A working elevator would be fab too.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Very chic! I love the sunken living room and the alcove design of the kitchen! You worked this home out!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Johnny Zest is getting an upgrade.

My current build in progress.

2rcv9c1.png

2hp614i.png

2qv5vr7.png

2wovr42.png

I also has a basement, but I may leave it unfinished. I haven't decided.
  • Options
    I built a sauna in the basement. Did we know you can place items on the sauna? I discovered it accidently.

5x77t0.png
  • Options
    https://www.thesims.com/gallery/CEB3304A09FC11E784C0C842D0CEE8B2

I finished Johnny's house. It is available on the gallery

opqruc.jpg

One of my favorite rooms is the second floor patio.

1zb5gdl.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2017
    That's very nice builds. I was awed by The Sims first octangle house and thought back then it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in the game. When I revisit that house now, lol, it is so dated and not even close to what we can do now. But it inspired me then and still does. Have fun with building! it's fun to think outside the box.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.