Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How limited is TS4, really?

Comments

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    What about this?
    1zlelow.jpg
    ^ I want this.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    First of all, I know about 3 simmers that defend this game to death and always say the game has a lot of potential. Many times I've had problems with them, but it would actually be nice to discuss this with these people that actually have real arguments to defend it. So here are my questions... or what worries me about this game

-Can babies work like actual sims and not objects
    -Are horses, cars or any transportation methods possible in this game
    - Could sims eventually swim in rivers, lagoons or in the ocean
    - A color wheel
    - Cuddling and relaxing in bed

The developers proved me wrong about toddlers. So
    I won't say any of the stuff some of us used to say. I know that no one can tell me for sure if these features will be in the game or not. I just want to know if they are even possible. Some simmers have proven that they do in fact know a lot about how this game works and some real input would be great.

Some of what you bring up I think might truly be possible. I won't rule out babies as non-objects as I really don't understand coding to be honest with you, but it seems they've always been objects to a certain degree, or at least that's what I've been told, so I just don't see it ever truly happening.

It seems to me like I'd heard somewhere that they are working on transportation models for cars. Maybe that's just rumor though. It'd be nice to see implemented though.

I'd LOVE to see a beach getaway type pack release. That one I really don't see why they couldn't add. Again, I've no coding knowledge whatsoever though so take that for what you will :)

Color Wheels I thought I'd read somewhere that they said they aren't possible without completely reworking the way the game handles package files because of the parts that Sims 3 meshes, clothing, objcts, etc... are set up currently. This one I'm not holding my breath for. I don't think we'll ever see that as a Sims 4 release.

I think the game really does have a lot of potential, but it will always be limited by the original set up of the basegame I fear.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    I decided to just wait and see what happens next.
  • Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    First of all, I know about 3 simmers that defend this game to death and always say the game has a lot of potential. Many times I've had problems with them, but it would actually be nice to discuss this with these people that actually have real arguments to defend it. So here are my questions... or what worries me about this game

- A color wheel

I won't say any of the stuff some of us used to say. I know that no one can tell me for sure if these features will be in the game or not. I just want to know if they are even possible. Some simmers have proven that they do in fact know a lot about how this game works and some real input would be great.
    As one of the devs said... or words to this effect (I'm paraphrasing, or maybe not... I don't remember it well enough to know if I'm paraphrasing XD) "Anything is possible. It's just a matter of priorities."

People have said all kinds of things about the engine and its supposed limitations. Yet the devs did, in fact, figure out how to have one sim carry another (something that was seen as a brick wall in player discussions about the baby leaving the crib... or rather, it was related to some sort of claim like that... I have a Dazed moodlet right now from tiredness).

Let's go down the list:
    - Cuddling and relaxing in bed. Sounds easy peasy (compared to some of the others). Just a question of programming in the right interactions and making the right animations so that it's a smooth transition. The biggest obstacle is probably the transition from Woohoo to cuddling, if they were to program it that way. Cause right now, they kinda just fall asleep and then get out of bed. It's already not the smoothest end point for an interaction.
    - Babies: Why not? What's the reason to think they can't be like actual sims. See: Toddlers.
    - Transportation. If one sim can carry another, it's probably less work for them to move around in a vehicle. In particular, if it's an animal, as you're going to run into the same stuff somewhat... ex: horse wants to do things autonomously and so do you.
    - Swim in rivers and whatnot: Absolutely I don't see any major hurdle here. It's just a question of programming the environment in (and possibly an extra cost to performance, though I don't actually see why it would be). If sims can swim in pools, it should (in theory) be pretty straightforward to put areas into the environment that have the same base code for interactions as pools.
    - Color wheel: Again, don't see any major hurdle in the technical department. Just time-consuming, probably, like a lot of this stuff.

Sincerely,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Armchair Developer

I would like to see the colour wheel return for those who want it, as well as the preset colour options, because I am terrible at using the wheels. :D
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2017

- A color wheel

Frankly yes, I think all those things are technically possible, though that doesn't mean they'll ever be implemented. With the exception of swimming in current non-pool water spots (I think they've said that won't happen - although that doesn't really mean it can't just that it won't). The more important question is whether they want to devote time to those features. I'd rather have fleshed out vampires than cuddling for example, and although I like the idea of swimming I don't use that possibility a lot in TS3 since they can't really do much else while they're swimming. Horses I think can definitely work but it won't be like in TS3 because the structure of the game is different. But there's no reason why they can't do it, although there might of course be reasons why they won't (though I honestly think it's too early to tell). In the end it's not just about whether these features are possible but how well they fit into the overall structure of the game. If people can't ride horses along long, sandy beaches, will they use them? Would horses require a world with much larger neighborhoods so people can ride through fields? Do they stay at the ranch? At home? Etc. Like was said recently in another thread: the engine is probably not as limited as many people fear, but the lack of open world means that some TS3 features need a different thought process preceding them if they're to be implemented logically.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited January 2017
    A dishwasher can be a 'non-object'. A bowl of cereal can be a 'non-object'.

A dishwasher could have needs just like a Sim - both are meshes. Animation is irrelevant.

You could have an oven that loves to be used - prefers being used by a Sim that is skilled at cooking, etc, etc.

You can make a bookshelf bark like a dog.

A toddler can fire lasers beams out of its eyes.

All is possible.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Clarkie100 wrote: »

- A color wheel

As one of the devs said... or words to this effect (I'm paraphrasing, or maybe not... I don't remember it well enough to know if I'm paraphrasing XD) "Anything is possible. It's just a matter of priorities."

People have said all kinds of things about the engine and its supposed limitations. Yet the devs did, in fact, figure out how to have one sim carry another (something that was seen as a brick wall in player discussions about the baby leaving the crib... or rather, it was related to some sort of claim like that... I have a Dazed moodlet right now from tiredness).

Let's go down the list:
    - Cuddling and relaxing in bed. Sounds easy peasy (compared to some of the others). Just a question of programming in the right interactions and making the right animations so that it's a smooth transition. The biggest obstacle is probably the transition from Woohoo to cuddling, if they were to program it that way. Cause right now, they kinda just fall asleep and then get out of bed. It's already not the smoothest end point for an interaction.
    - Babies: Why not? What's the reason to think they can't be like actual sims. See: Toddlers.
    - Transportation. If one sim can carry another, it's probably less work for them to move around in a vehicle. In particular, if it's an animal, as you're going to run into the same stuff somewhat... ex: horse wants to do things autonomously and so do you.
    - Swim in rivers and whatnot: Absolutely I don't see any major hurdle here. It's just a question of programming the environment in (and possibly an extra cost to performance, though I don't actually see why it would be). If sims can swim in pools, it should (in theory) be pretty straightforward to put areas into the environment that have the same base code for interactions as pools.
    - Color wheel: Again, don't see any major hurdle in the technical department. Just time-consuming, probably, like a lot of this stuff.

Sincerely,

I would like to see the colour wheel return for those who want it, as well as the preset colour options, because I am terrible at using the wheels. :D
    Lol, I never played sims 3, so I haven't tried it, but it does sound like creativity heaven. It with this game's CAS system... I'd probably be in love.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    I bet this one is on your wish list. :tongue:
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited January 2017
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    That needs to be a thing.

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    - A color wheel

Other than babies and cars, none of those other things bother me at all. And I can even live without cars and changing babies, so...
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    if I remember right, someone was talking about finding cuddling, or something similar hidden in game files? So I think that is very likely.
    Swimming will probably come true too, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was limited to only a specific world.

Everything else in my opinion unlikely, but only the devs really know for sure

My own ifs and evers are:

- memory system. Something that makes the things that I do in sim world matter. If my sims die, I want their children to REMEMBER them. If their sister had children, I want them to REMEMBER that. I absolutely hate going trough this world without any impact on anything whatsoever.
    - better AI when it comes to calling your sims. Young children should not be invited to go on dates with adults, sims should not call each other while already being together either.
    - teens that look like teens. I'm going to post a picture. Does she look teen to you?

uMTAci3.jpg

Out of 4 women at the table 3 are teens. They look 30 to me. It's just so immersion breaking! And I tried to make them look young too!

Maybe I'm biased, but I think my Sims look like teens.

28075214062_d5e92d7c69_o.png

27823217954_5b822e1072_o.png
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2017
    This is a question about an opinion so if you are looking for straight answers I think this is the wrong question for it. In my opinion this is the most limitless version of the game we have had. I can play a ton of sims and have vastly different experiences with all of them because there is more and more to do with every pack that comes out. I am having a blast especially with the latest update.

That said...

I would like to see more depth in the sims themselves. Though I am having very different gameplay with different sims it is mostly self driven. The sims are different yes, but not enough so to make that huge of a difference. I mean heck, anyone will hook up with anyone else if nudged enough. We need a code of ethics or morals to set or something. Anyone will be friends with almost anyone else and they all woohoo like it's their last day on the planet.

I would like more personality conflict and rumors from gossip and real consequences for actions. If you cheat your significant other really needs to do more than boo hoo under the covers (if they even do that). Maybe they decide to dump you?

Things like that.

That is my opinion on the game.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited January 2017
    This is just as possible as in the Sims 3. After all, in both cases, babies are objects tied to a real sim. To anyone who wants material evidence of this, babies in the Sims 4 have a sim ID. If they weren't actual sims, they wouldn't have a sim ID.
    In the Sims 3, babies can't be edited in CAS because they're objects too.
    So, in the end, they're the same. It's just that babies in TS4 are currently tied to their crib, just like, say, ghosts are sims tied to an object, their grave. There are always ways to delete, edit or replace the object in question, for a talented developer.
  • Options
    jus1nickiejus1nickie Posts: 360 Member
    I also wondered why they limited apartments and why we can't make our own that was a huge disappointment I think for most simmers. Also why they didn't implement at home businesses?
    I feel like the game could do these things.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited January 2017
    No one but the developers can tell you how limited it is. Guessing or assuming what it can based on things we already have, like babies can get out of the crib because we have toddlers or we can have cars because we found a horse code in the game, won't do. The reason for that is because we do not know what kind of engine it is Sims 4 is using and without that we can't really know, and to make things more complicated the engine is custom made for Sims 4, which makes it even harder to know. The only thing I know is that they said that the engine cannot do open world, it is not built for that, which had been confirmed by a Guru, sadly I can't link to it, but I believe it was said in the Simulation Tech Talk post. But again, the only way to know is if a dev tells us how the engine is built or directly tells us what is and isn't possible.
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member

Technically, yes. They made toddlers appear aftee two years so technically babies could be done right as well.

Cars should be possible in the same way as the Sims 2 I think. Horses are probably possible, but what's the fun of it? The lots are too small and the world not open so for horsebackriding you'd need to go to a special lot all the time. Seems meh to me.

They've said it's impossible because of the way they created water I believe. So as mentioned before maybe in a new world, but probably not in all of them.

- A color wheel

It is possible but it would be quite the job I imagine! I don't see it happening, sadly.

Technically possible again, up to the team if they really do something with it.
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    if I remember right, someone was talking about finding cuddling, or something similar hidden in game files? So I think that is very likely.
    Swimming will probably come true too, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was limited to only a specific world.

- memory system. Something that makes the things that I do in sim world matter. If my sims die, I want their children to REMEMBER them. If their sister had children, I want them to REMEMBER that. I absolutely hate going trough this world without any impact on anything whatsoever.
    - better AI when it comes to calling your sims. Young children should not be invited to go on dates with adults, sims should not call each other while already being together either.
    - teens that look like teens. I'm going to post a picture. Does she look teen to you?

uMTAci3.jpg

Out of 4 women at the table 3 are teens. They look 30 to me. It's just so immersion breaking! And I tried to make them look young too!

I know I wasn't that filled out as a teen and really not that tall ;) I think these teens will also look young when they grow up to adults.

Not to bash your Sims, they look nice :)
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited January 2017
    Simanite wrote: »

uMTAci3.jpg

I agree with you! They do look like teens. I have no problem about what the teens look like and I even notice a difference when I see them. I have seen so many tall teens in real life so it actually doesn't bug me.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    @3KNPen I agree that to me horses do seem possible in certain areas. Windenburg being one of them. I remember a poll in the one they did mention transportation but to me that poll always seemed over the top, I mean they said a lot but then they release EPs and there is a bunch missing or big features missing like a home bussiness or the possibility of making an apartment. I think get together was the only one that didn't dissapoint, or that had more positive feedback than the other two EPs.

@plopppo2 Thank you for the mod update, I had no idea. Could you link it to me please? I'm not sure if it's allowed on here, but maybe send me a message later. I would appreciate it :)

@Pixelsimmer thank you for remaindind me about the patch, I think it was released before world adventures, right? It's just they seem to go out there way to allow sims to swim. I mean the "natural pool"' in Windenburg, made me lose complete hope on this feature. Some people may think it's pretty useless, but I think Winderburg had great areas to use the water. I mean like for them to jump into the river or lagoon that is across the whole world, or even adding a canoe ride like in Venice. I do think they totally missed their chance to add some pretty cool features that would have been beautiful in a world like Windenburg.

@Mstybl95 well when I think of freeing babies I don't expect them to be in CAS even though it would be nice if we had more than just two outfits for them just to see if they are male or female. I miss TS2 babies and I remember that before the game came out there was a render that had nothing to do with the reality of babies. I mean it really bothers me that I can't even change my babies crib color or that I can't change their diaper like a normal human being. I mean let's say they add strollers at some point, babies will probably not be able to use them, they are just like TS from year 2000. That was a huge downgrade.

@Triplis I agree cuddling seems more likely to happen out of everything I said. I know there is coding for it. I don't understand why it's taking so long though. I also saw the animations it seems more like they are trying to add relaxing back and not really cuddling when they sleep. Also they could add more animations. Sims used to actually move in their sleep before, now they just make creepy noises. I mean how creepy is it to wake up and see the person next to you laughing in the dark and with their eyes closed...

21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Clarkie100 wrote: »

- A color wheel

Let's go down the list:

Sincerely,

Lol, I never played sims 3, so I haven't tried it, but it does sound like creativity heaven. It with this game's CAS system... I'd probably be in love.

I believe it was, and is, extremely popular in 3. Would be nice to see it return. :)
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    edited January 2017
    I don't need a colour wheel. More options is enough (yes, I know how to recolour them but I don't want to upload that to the gallery). As for horses, I just can't imagine them in a closed world.
    Of course, there are a lot of things that I can't imagine in this game but seems perfect in TS3 (except for a wild horse that walked into a bar last week)
  • Options
    @duhboy2u2 It does bother me that swimming would be restricted to certain areas. I mean I guess it's better than nothing, but I hate the fact that maybe we'll end up having a beach world and sims won't really be able to use it. I don't want them to add an "artificial ocean" like they did with the natural pools, even though they did turn out pretty.

@SimTrippy I had no idea they had confirmed the swimming in natural water bodies. So does that mean we'll never get an ocean? So we can kiss goodbye a vacation EP or a beach GP? Or did they just mean for the current worlds? Or did they not get into specifics?

@Yoko2112 I honestly would be ok with cars fading away when we get to the neighborhood limits. But I can't stand NPCs appearing on my front door out of nowhere. Or that my kid disappears when she goes to school, i miss the school bus even though it wasn't really something we could use as players. It's just for the sake of immersion really. Also I see no issues to use bicycles and horses around the nighrbourhood. Some of them have gotten pretty wide as opposed to the ones in the base game.

@Simanite your sims are very pretty, but I honestly couldn't tell they are teens if you hadn't said so. In game sometimes I can notice some, cause they are extremely skinny and idk just made differently, but it's very subtle. I have a lot of young adults and one of them is childish and she honestly looks like a big child, but that's because of how I dressed her and cause she has traits that make her seem younger than my other young adults, but anatomically teens, young adults and adults have no difference. I mean my adults are dressed like adults so I can tell the difference plus I've had the same save for two years now so in my mind I know very well what age they are suppose to represent, but that's just because I really picked the right clothes for them. You can notice adults cause of some facial features but you have to really zoom in. Teens should have acne, look shorter cause in a game like the sims it's not as easy to tell as it is in real life when a teen is teen and a young adult is a young adult.

@shellbeme I completely agree with you. I should have asked that in the first post. I miss the memory and attraction systems. It's a life simulator and many times I feel like my sims have no consequences. I mean this game should have some sort of butterfly effect. Also memories gives sims life their meaning. Ts2 did an amazing job with it and even without the emotion system you could tell some sims were damaged. I mean they had heartaches , memory of loss, they retained important life events. When I read the stories from each world. I really did feel like they were true. A lot of people were even looking for Bella... I still don't know if she was actually possible to find or if she had really disappeared for good.

@Candyd that's what bothers me. Features tied to things. It really limits the game. That's why I would hate to have a destination world with a beach and just for it to be possible to be swimable for sims, and let alone the possibility of going underwater... I don't see that possible at all in TS4. I mean maybe as a hidden spot if sims have some sort of skills so they don't die, but it seems unlikely, so mermaids are like out of the question for me.

@Zafireria I mean I know some people in these forums know a lot about the engine. Also just like I said to someone else I hope this whole water thing won't mean we won't ever get a sandy beach that we can actually use. I mean it seems like it would be a TS recreation.

@SjappielovePaul I don't think horses would be completely useless. I think we could use them in worlds like Windenburg or the forest in Granite Falls. Plus we could use big lots for sims to do horse riding.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @duhboy2u2 It does bother me that swimming would be restricted to certain areas. I mean I guess it's better than nothing, but I hate the fact that maybe we'll end up having a beach world and sims won't really be able to use it. I don't want them to add an "artificial ocean" like they did with the natural pools, even though they did turn out pretty.

@SimTrippy I had no idea they had confirmed the swimming in natural water bodies. So does that mean we'll never get an ocean? So we can kiss goodbye a vacation EP or a beach GP? Or did they just mean for the current worlds? Or did they not get into specifics?

@Yoko2112 I honestly would be ok with cars fading away when we get to the neighborhood limits. But I can't stand NPCs appearing on my front door out of nowhere. Or that my kid disappears when she goes to school, i miss the school bus even though it wasn't really something we could use as players. It's just for the sake of immersion really. Also I see no issues to use bicycles and horses around the nighrbourhood. Some of them have gotten pretty wide as opposed to the ones in the base game.

@Simanite your sims are very pretty, but I honestly couldn't tell they are teens if you hadn't said so. In game sometimes I can notice some, cause they are extremely skinny and idk just made differently, but it's very subtle. I have a lot of young adults and one of them is childish and she honestly looks like a big child, but that's because of how I dressed her and cause she has traits that make her seem younger than my other young adults, but anatomically teens, young adults and adults have no difference. I mean my adults are dressed like adults so I can tell the difference plus I've had the same save for two years now so in my mind I know very well what age they are suppose to represent, but that's just because I really picked the right clothes for them. You can notice adults cause of some facial features but you have to really zoom in. Teens should have acne, look shorter cause in a game like the sims it's not as easy to tell as it is in real life when a teen is teen and a young adult is a young adult.

@shellbeme I completely agree with you. I should have asked that in the first post. I miss the memory and attraction systems. It's a life simulator and many times I feel like my sims have no consequences. I mean this game should have some sort of butterfly effect. Also memories gives sims life their meaning. Ts2 did an amazing job with it and even without the emotion system you could tell some sims were damaged. I mean they had heartaches , memory of loss, they retained important life events. When I read the stories from each world. I really did feel like they were true. A lot of people were even looking for Bella... I still don't know if she was actually possible to find or if she had really disappeared for good.

@Candyd that's what bothers me. Features tied to things. It really limits the game. That's why I would hate to have a destination world with a beach and just for it to be possible to be swimable for sims, and let alone the possibility of going underwater... I don't see that possible at all in TS4. I mean maybe as a hidden spot if sims have some sort of skills so they don't die, but it seems unlikely, so mermaids are like out of the question for me.

@Zafireria I mean I know some people in these forums know a lot about the engine. Also just like I said to someone else I hope this whole water thing won't mean we won't ever get a sandy beach that we can actually use. I mean it seems like it would be a TS recreation.

@SjappielovePaul I don't think horses would be completely useless. I think we could use them in worlds like Windenburg or the forest in Granite Falls. Plus we could use big lots for sims to do horse riding.

No they only kind of confirmed they wouldn't add that option to the current worlds because they were not designed with that feature in mind. Not that they would never add it to other world so oceans are still totally possible :)
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

No they only kind of confirmed they wouldn't add that option to the current worlds because they were not designed with that feature in mind. Not that they would never add it to other world so oceans are still totally possible :)

Oh ok thanks :) I hope that won't mean sims can just walk by the ocean and not get into the ocean. Wasn't TS2 bon vayage like that? Or is my memory really failing?
    21mbz47.jpg