Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How limited is TS4, really?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited January 2017
    @Orchid13 I see what you mean. But that really boils down to IF they'll do it. Even if the engine can do it, doesn't mean they'll add it, and in that case, it really doesn't matter how limited the engine might be =/

If you just want to have an idea if something MIGHT be possible as a way of hoping for something. Then I am afraid I can't tell you, like I said. Without knowing what engine it is and how its customised then yeah.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »
    @Orchid13 I see what you mean. But that really boils down to IF they'll do it. Even if the engine can do it, doesn't mean they'll add it, and in that case, it really doesn't matter how limited the engine might be =/

If you just want to have an idea if something MIGHT be possible as a way of hoping for something. Then I am afraid I can't tell you, like I said. Without knowing what engine it is and how its customised then yeah.

It would be a first if we don't get a beach :/
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    1. Babies could easily be separated from cribs now that toddlers are in the game. They already have holding animations so it just a matter of using modifying it to fit the babies size/frame. Also certain interactions need to be modified if they can be performed outside the crib as well. Since there is high demand, this will probably b done
    2. Horses and cars could come. The cars could be like ts2 where they animate getting in and out, have a few interactions inside. If they made it like a couch, sims could even do the couch interactions. Then if you go out, sims would drive off the lot. You could even add unique destinations only reachable by car. Horses would be similar, just harder to animate.
    3. Not sure how easy this would be. Have to open up new parts of the world/make them routable. Making sims swim in an ocean or in rivers in a new world should be easier however and will probably happen (at least ocean swimming).
    4. CAST will probably not happen because it requires redoing all the clothes, + a way to make the game load the textures without adding lagging
    5. Since they already have cuddling animations in the files, it is simply finishing them or adding transition animations from standing to laying. They could also be taking their time to make laying on beds more complex involving talking while laying
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    -Can babies work like actual sims and not objects
    (To be honest with you I dont really care about babys and yes I know there are people out there that like family play and everything but meh. I don't remember them doing anything special in the sims 3. Yeah you can carry them around but you could also put them in the snow if you wanted to :D)

-Are horses, cars or any transportation methods possible in this game
    (I think it is possible. I mean people said toddlers wern't possible at all and what do we have today? lol. If we did get cars and other transporations like that i feel like they would work like they did in the sims 2. I personally wouldn't have any problems with this.)

- Could sims eventually swim in rivers, lagoons or in the ocean
    (Im sure they will make a world where this possible. It might even be multiple worlds for all we know but we shall see.)

- A color wheel
    (I would love to have this back in game. They might update it in a free patch we never really know.)

- Cuddling and relaxing in bed
    ( new files have been found of cuddling in bed! It might be a valentines update.)
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Hmm,

Colour wheel - i'd like this back but maybe a simple version of it, would mean a lot to us builders
    Swimming in rivers - So the world feels more open because of the lot loading we have to go trough everytime
    Memory system - So my sims actually remember someones birth or death..

Those things seem that add a lot without too much of an issue I hope.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    BoomChikaBoomPowBoomChikaBoomPow Posts: 79 Member
    There are a lot of restrictions in the Sims 4. Most of the time I have to wonder what the heck they were thinking, but other times it's understandable. The babies not being able to move around is probably because it can be really annoying when Sims just drop them on the floor and leave them there. It was especially irritating when you would watch babysitters do that and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it because your Sims are at work. In a way, I find it a relief because it is less of a hassle and I think toddlers make up for it.

Horses will probably be added with a Pets pack, which is being rumored. Getting rid of carpool was stupid. That's been around since The Sims. Since we see cars in the Sims 4, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible for your Sims to be able to have carpool or even drive to work even in the semi-open world.

I was a big fan of the concept of Island Paradise, so being able to swim in the ocean would be nice. It makes no sense that we have beaches, but we can't swim. I think this may be because pools were not added in the first version of the base game, so there was no option to swim at all. I assume they just haven't got around to patching this in. Maybe this will be implemented in a Seasons pack.

There is no reason why we shouldn't have a color wheel. Again, I don't know what the Sims Team was thinking.

Maybe they will patch in cuddling and relaxing in bed later. To be honest, I'm not all that bothered by the fact that we can't do this. I only needed those interactions in the Sims 3 because it would be a pain in the neck for your Sims to woohoo otherwise. The Sims in the Sims 4 don't waste time with woohooing like they did in the Sims 3 and they don't give up after a couple of minutes either. I think we are better off without those options to be honest.

There were a lot of things they got rid of in the Sims 4 that I thought caused the game to take a step back, but to be honest, there are a lot of features in the game that have made the game a lot better than in previous games. Sims don't complain about things being in their way as often, which is a relief; multitasking can be very useful; the mess around option for the teens is very entertaining; and the diversity they have added is just what the Sims series needed. I'm sure things will get better over time and the Sims Team will probably try their best on the things that are high in demand, like they usually do.
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    What I don't understand is why the worlds are so much smaller when in sims 3 you could walk nearly every inch of them. Also, I feel we got new worlds much more frequently than we have. In city living I thought there would be more to explore but nope, just a few lots to visit. I hope that changes.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

@Mstybl95 well when I think of freeing babies I don't expect them to be in CAS even though it would be nice if we had more than just two outfits for them just to see if they are male or female. I miss TS2 babies and I remember that before the game came out there was a render that had nothing to do with the reality of babies. I mean it really bothers me that I can't even change my babies crib color or that I can't change their diaper like a normal human being. I mean let's say they add strollers at some point, babies will probably not be able to use them, they are just like TS from year 2000. That was a huge downgrade.

The resources I'm talking about with freeing babies is based on animations and coding. Yes, it can be done, but is it really worth it overall? At this point, I think they are seeing the value in family play and would consider it. However, there are more pertinent things regarding families. For starters, kids and teens still don't act like either. And there is a huge gap between being a child at the younger end and a teen at the borderline adult end. I have to say, my hopes are renewed for the game, but until I see a generations type pack, I still don't know what their I tentions are.

Also, they could make the babies spawn into different objects. It's not unheard of and I think it would be a simple solution to the problem. The reason I don't think they will bother, though...They haven't even added extra types of cribs or nursery decor before toddlers. It's just not a priority.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2017
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

@Mstybl95 well when I think of freeing babies I don't expect them to be in CAS even though it would be nice if we had more than just two outfits for them just to see if they are male or female. I miss TS2 babies and I remember that before the game came out there was a render that had nothing to do with the reality of babies. I mean it really bothers me that I can't even change my babies crib color or that I can't change their diaper like a normal human being. I mean let's say they add strollers at some point, babies will probably not be able to use them, they are just like TS from year 2000. That was a huge downgrade.

The resources I'm talking about with freeing babies is based on animations and coding. Yes, it can be done, but is it really worth it overall? At this point, I think they are seeing the value in family play and would consider it. However, there are more pertinent things regarding families. For starters, kids and teens still don't act like either. And there is a huge gap between being a child at the younger end and a teen at the borderline adult end. I have to say, my hopes are renewed for the game, but until I see a generations type pack, I still don't know what their I tentions are.

Also, they could make the babies spawn into different objects. It's not unheard of and I think it would be a simple solution to the problem. The reason I don't think they will bother, though...They haven't even added extra types of cribs or nursery decor before toddlers. It's just not a priority.

Yeah agreed, I'd much rather have fleshed out teens than freed babies. Not that I mind babies or whatever but I didn't really like them that much in 3 either, and my sim mom once took her baby for a walk in the stroller around the neighborhood, then stopped at one of the neighbors' houses, dropped the baby in the snow & went to a party ... it was weird :D Fun, but weird. Anyway, wouldn't say they added much to the game then, and I don't think they'll add anything substantial now. I'd be very happy if they freed them, but I'd be even happier to get other life stages fine-tuned first.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    @duhboy2u2 It does bother me that swimming would be restricted to certain areas. I mean I guess it's better than nothing, but I hate the fact that maybe we'll end up having a beach world and sims won't really be able to use it. I don't want them to add an "artificial ocean" like they did with the natural pools, even though they did turn out pretty.

Oh I completely agree. That would be very disappointing indeed. With any luck, by the time they work on something like that they'll have added terrain tools to the game and such a thing as ponds, lakes, oceans, etc... will be more than a possibility. I haven't given up hope yet on that, but I do tend to agree with you that it could be a tough one that might not ever happen.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    First of all, I know about 3 simmers that defend this game to death and always say the game has a lot of potential. Many times I've had problems with them, but it would actually be nice to discuss this with these people that actually have real arguments to defend it. So here are my questions... or what worries me about this game

- A color wheel

The developers proved me wrong about toddlers. So
    I won't say any of the stuff some of us used to say. I know that no one can tell me for sure if these features will be in the game or not. I just want to know if they are even possible. Some simmers have proven that they do in fact know a lot about how this game works and some real input would be great.

On points 2, 3, and 5, those seem possible. On point 4, the color wheel will probably require a total overhaul of how clothing is handled in TS4 in terms of palate swaps if they decide to implement it (which could probably wreak some serious havoc on a lot of pre-existing CC recolors), but it might be doable.

As for point 1...actually, to me, TS2 babies are pretty object-like as well. Unpopular opinion, I know *raises her riot shield pre-emptively*. However, you can't see their needs or have them perform actions like normal sims and your sims will leave them on the floor like a book with no shelf or table to place it on if they decide to go do something else while they're holding a baby. I guess it's a stationary object versus movable object issue, ultimately. When they're moveable people are more likely to feel like they're sims and not objects, but when they're stationary people are more likely to feel like they're just objects. If they detach them from the crib, they're going to have to get rid of that tendency to drop the baby on the floor like a discarded sweater to really make them feel like sims instead of objects. Otherwise, they're object-like either way to me.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    First of all, I know about 3 simmers that defend this game to death and always say the game has a lot of potential. Many times I've had problems with them, but it would actually be nice to discuss this with these people that actually have real arguments to defend it. So here are my questions... or what worries me about this game

- A color wheel

I won't say any of the stuff some of us used to say. I know that no one can tell me for sure if these features will be in the game or not. I just want to know if they are even possible. Some simmers have proven that they do in fact know a lot about how this game works and some real input would be great.

On points 2, 3, and 5, those seem possible. On point 4, the color wheel will probably require a total overhaul of how clothing is handled in TS4 in terms of palate swaps if they decide to implement it (which could probably wreak some serious havoc on a lot of pre-existing CC recolors), but it might be doable.

As for point 1...actually, to me, TS2 babies are pretty object-like as well. Unpopular opinion, I know *raises her riot shield pre-emptively*. However, you can't see their needs or have them perform actions like normal sims and your sims will leave them on the floor like a book with no shelf or table to place it on if they decide to go do something else while they're holding a baby. I guess it's a stationary object versus movable object issue, ultimately. When they're moveable people are more likely to feel like they're sims and not objects, but when they're stationary people are more likely to feel like they're just objects. If they detach them from the crib, they're going to have to get rid of that tendency to drop the baby on the floor like a discarded sweater to really make them feel like sims instead of objects. Otherwise, they're object-like either way to me.

The reason they can't be selected is because TS2 was a game first and storytelling game second. The point of the babies was that you couldn't see their needs so you had to figure out what they wanted. That was what made them fun.

And all sims are objects. What makes them differ is coding and animations. The TS4 team didn't supply the amount of resources to create the babies with a full experience. They took the shortcut and made them like TS1, which was unacceptable for the 4th game in the series.

I mean, yes, sims put babies on the ground, but they can bathe them, rock them, take them anywhere, put them in a stroller, hand them to someone else, carry them while doing something else, etc. They were more interactive and felt like members of the family. There was bonding involved for the parents and the player. In TS4...I had a baby and forgot about it until a pop-up said that baby was hungry and feed it before the social worker takes it. I was like...Oh yeah...Forgot about you.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

- A color wheel

The whole bit about Sims leaving baby bundles on the floor to go off and do something "fun" bugged me to no end.

This doesn't mean that a changing table, washing them in a sink or playpens wouldn't be a welcome addition, but if that's not part of the plan, then pinning them to the bassinet is a far better option than leaving them lying on the floor.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

- A color wheel

The reason they can't be selected is because TS2 was a game first and storytelling game second. The point of the babies was that you couldn't see their needs so you had to figure out what they wanted. That was what made them fun.

And all sims are objects. What makes them differ is coding and animations. The TS4 team didn't supply the amount of resources to create the babies with a full experience. They took the shortcut and made them like TS1, which was unacceptable for the 4th game in the series.

I mean, yes, sims put babies on the ground, but they can bathe them, rock them, take them anywhere, put them in a stroller, hand them to someone else, carry them while doing something else, etc. They were more interactive and felt like members of the family. There was bonding involved for the parents and the player. In TS4...I had a baby and forgot about it until a pop-up said that baby was hungry and feed it before the social worker takes it. I was like...Oh yeah...Forgot about you.
    For me it's very important babies in 2 behave like real babies. They 'touch' something inside I'm also feeling with the TS4 toddlers now. That's more important to me than whether they are 'objects' or not. My biggest issue with TS4 babies is how they look so lifeless, unreal, not sweet, not like a baby. Babies in 3 look like a doll. Even though they do have need bars, they feel less real to me than babies in 2. Animations are everything.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    I want to see the limits tested.

I think a real test to see the testing of limits are seeing swimmable oceans/bodies of water and underwater dive lots, and having all Seasons, like in Sims 3.

If they can do that, then maybe I would see that this particular engine has some real power, after all.

If not, I feel a new engine for the next game needs to be made. Would something like Frostbyte or Unreal or whatever be possible, perhahps?

BTW, question: Have they made new engines in the past for the older Sims games? I thought I heard Sims 3 used Sims 2 engines and they built more on that, or something? Maybe they should go back to that one, and fix and optimize it properly for Sims 5?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

- A color wheel

For me it's very important babies in 2 behave like real babies. They 'touch' something inside I'm also feeling with the TS4 toddlers now. That's more important to me than whether they are 'objects' or not. My biggest issue with TS4 babies is how they look so lifeless, unreal, not sweet, not like a baby. Babies in 3 look like a doll. Even though they do have need bars, they feel less real to me than babies in 2. Animations are everything.

I absolutely agree. It's important that we, as players and storytellers, grow emotionally attached and invested in our sims. I know that I tend to "love" sims I have raised from birth more than the ones I make in CAS. That's because I go on a lifelong journey with them.

I can deal with the way babies look in TS4...there's always CC. What I can't stand, though, is that they are tethered to furniture. My sims can't even really take pictures with them because they will all look the same. I can't get emotionally attached to the infants when they are just a piece of furniture.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I also think it would be easier to get attached to babies of they had some kind of personality. Like, noisy, quiet, wants more or less attention, cuddles or play time, more or easily scared, friendly or afraid of strangers...
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Limited (as close) as The Sims Social.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited January 2017

That is exactly what I was talking about as far of the stationary object versus movable object thing is concerned. A movable Baby gives a better illusion of life and supports the player's suspension of disbelief better than a stationary one for most people. However, to me, the immersion-breaking thing has always been the fact that the sims would live the little one on the floor like an old sock. So, for me, a stationary Baby that is at least never dropped on the floor and left there like a discarded backpack is better at suspending my disbelief than a baby that can be carried around, bathed in the sink, changed at a table, passed off...but always ends up on the floor if you leave the parents unattended.

Now, if they could make the Baby sims movable, bathable, passable...but at least when they're put down they are placed on a chair or in the crib or on a bed, that would be most immersive to me because it would at least make sense. This is also why babies bound to the crib doesn't break my immersion or interfere with my ability to bond with those sims: because them being in the crib all the time still makes sense to me. Floor babies? They make as much sense to me as an episode of Axe Cop...only they're a hundred times less amusing.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2017

That is exactly what I was talking about as far of the stationary object versus movable object thing is concerned. A movable Baby gives a better illusion of life and supports the player's suspension of disbelief better than a stationary one for most people. However, to me, the immersion-breaking thing has always been the fact that the sims would live the little one on the floor like an old sock. So, for me, a stationary Baby that is at least never dropped on the floor and left there like a discarded backpack is better at suspending my disbelief than a baby that can be carried around, bathed in the sink, changed at a table, passed off...but always ends up on the floor if you leave the parents unattended.

Now, if they could make the Baby sims movable, bathable, passable...but at least when they're put down they are placed on a chair or in the crib or on a bed, that would be most immersive to me because it would at least make sense. This is also why babies bound to the crib doesn't break my immersion or interfere with my ability to bond with those sims: because them being in the crib all the time still makes sense to me. Floor babies? They make as much sense to me as an episode of Axe Cop...only they're a hundred times less amusing.
    They can do that, because that's the way it is in Sims 3. Sims 2 babies and Sims 3 mechanics would have been perfect.
    5JZ57S6.png