Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unfurnished Builds in the Gallery

Okay, so I suggested to a Youtuber, who isn't interested in interior designing as much as the exterior designing, that he maybe he could sometimes upload unfurnished builds to the gallery. Someone complained that it messes with the price ratings and he definitely shouldn't, with strong words. She doesn't like unfurnished builds.

Should there be an option to label builds as unfurnished/funished so users can further narrow down their search bar, without needing to depend on the creator to put (unfurnished) in the title and/or description?

I don't think it would be hard to implement an option like that in the gallery and further search options sounds neat. There's not really a downside to it either (unfurnished is also a decently long word). However, I also don't find it as huge as an issue as this person seem to be going on about. However, I also don't browse the gallery too often as I rather build my own stuff.

Would you say that most people label their unfurnished builds as unfurnished consistently, especially in the title? What is the ratio you believe for unfurnished/furnished builds? Would you say the search function in the gallery is adequate to your needs? For people that hate unfurnished builds, does this problem come up often?

Game gallery navigation example:
hashexcomsim.png

Sims 4's site example (ignore the German words):
simsiteexsearch.png

The issue here is that some creators aren't putting unfurnished in their titles to reduce time clicking on them (even if it doesn't take that long, its still considerate). The person navigating will only depend on hashtags and the screenshots, which is only seen after clicking on the build. I simply told her to yell at the creator for not putting unfurnished in the title, but perhaps this is an issue shared by a lot of people? What are your thoughts on this topic?

Comments

• Options
    WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    I think it would be nice of EA to put more search options in the gallery. It's kinda hard to find what you are looking for right now. I usually just go to the popular stuff and start scanning.

But about the youtuber, and the post you described... that person has no right to tell anyone what they can and cannot upload. I use the gallery to upload stuff I don't want to lose sometimes (including unfinished builds!), and it was a lifesaver when my computer died a little bit ago. Go, everyone, upload to your hearts desire! :D
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • Options
    EgomouseEgomouse Posts: 69 Member
    Wyrren wrote: »
    I think it would be nice of EA to put more search options in the gallery. It's kinda hard to find what you are looking for right now. I usually just go to the popular stuff and start scanning.

But about the youtuber, and the post you described... that person has no right to tell anyone what they can and cannot upload. I use the gallery to upload stuff I don't want to lose sometimes (including unfinished builds!), and it was a lifesaver when my computer died a little bit ago. Go, everyone, upload to your hearts desire! :D

I agree for more search options. I also do upload things that I want saved. It makes it easier to manage multiple saves as well. Just upload it to the gallery and plop it to another save. It makes it convenient for a build save and a main game save.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    When I download from the gallery I want houses that are pretty much ready to go and furnished. Unfurnished houses pop up in my searches from time to time, but they are a minority. I like it when the name of the build says unfurnished, the hastag doesn't really help if you're trying to avoid them. New search option could be interesting since the game already offers an option to buy a house unfurnished, I'm not certain how that would transfer to the gallery.

The problem you described isn't that big that it would have annoyed me much personally. Still when I click a nice house and find it unfurnished my heart sinks a little, because I have to go back searching. I wouldn't mind if the house wasn't fully decorated (I like simple furnishing), but would like at least the essentials to be there. These are just my preferences and can't tell anyone what to upload and what not.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,346 Member
    Such a button would be nice, though I'm saying so for exactly the opposite reason of that angry you-tube commentor: I prefer unfurnished builds and often also demolish the interior room structure to suit my playstyle. All I need are nice-looking shells. It's easy for me to just "buy unfurnished", the other way around (finding only shells when looking for inhabitable houses) must be extremely annoying.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,623 Member
    It will be good if they have the option. I usually upload furnished ones but if I don't, then I would tag it or write it in the description. And it's also the players'/downloaders' 'responsibility' to check the preview images of the lot before downloading it. Of course, it's a bit of a chore to do that and a filter will be nice. But it's not like it's such a big deal either.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I like to download both unfurnished and furnished houses, so it doesn't make a difference to me.
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    edited December 2016
    The more options the better. I don't enjoy building at all, so it's irritating when I find a good looking house on the outside that's completely empty on the inside.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Find a house you like on the Gallery and click download. A window should pop up asking if you want to buy it furnished or unfurnished. Click unfurnished and the house will be empty waiting for your sim to decorate it. This also happens when you move to another house. Choose unfurnished and for a touch of realism, do not sell your existing furniture. Once you have moved, the old furniture should be in your household inventory (the open box in the corner in build/buy mode) and place the old furniture in your new house. Just like in real life.
  • Options
    DyrewitchDyrewitch Posts: 465 Member
    @Egomouse I too like to download unfurnished homes most time I not too good at building but I love to decorate myself. I am sorry that the mentioned Youtuber had to suffer such treatment and yes by all means he should post his builds
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Well the gallery could some work on searching and what not. I don't use the gallery much because I make y own builds, as well as my own townies.

Now as for your YouTuber friend, she can do whatever she wants. No one has the right to tell another person what they can and can't do. She can do whatever she wants, if people don't like it oh well. The person who went on about unfinished builds wants things to suit them and isn't caring about another person. Far too any people in this world are about themselves and couldn't give an ounce about another person. As long as they get what they want, the heck with everyone else. So tell your friend to do what works best for her and don't worry about pleasing everyone.

As for the unfinished builds, I do think there should be an option to click on but in the same light how many builders will tick it before they upload. Only the ones who care about the build, itself and not views or downloads. More then you think will leave it empty just to get a higher Dl count. Just look at how many CC items are hashtaged NOCC, plenty and loads do it just deliberately. The reason as to why I don't browse the gallery unless I am looking outfit ideas when clothing the Sims I make.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I think an additional search option for such a thing would be great. Sometimes I like the full house, exterior and interior to be complete, and other times I like to design my own interior.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,466 Member
    Yes. More filter options, please.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    There is no need for a filter to be added that shows furnished or unfurnished. No one would remember to click one or the other anyway, note how beds and baths are ignored. Besides, if you are thumbing through the gallery for a lot to fill or replace one in you game and you see one you like, when you click it's picture, you get that lot's profile with all the information on it. Just look at the pictures to determine if it is furnished or unfurnished. Let me give you a hint. If you see furniture, it's furnished, if you don't, it's not. Now, if you like a build but it is furnished and you want it unfurnished, then click the download arrow. A box will pop up and it asks FURNISHED or UNFURNISHED? Then you have three choices, furnished, unfurnished or cancel. Choose unfurnished and the house or building you like will download to your lot without any furniture.
    With all of this info and choices already in the game, why do we need a check box for furnished or unfurnished? I'm making the assumption that everyone who plays this game are intelligent enough to handle the above process I outlined without any problems. Maybe give it a try and see how simple the current process is, who knows, you might be able to handle it. If you can't, well, a check box isn't going to help you anyway.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    That is ridiculous-not your idea but that persons reaction. I really dislike unfurnished builds but I can SEE that a build is unfinished when I review it. I mean if you are just downloading at random then that's kinda on you.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I guess I am also a little confused. You have the option of choosing if it is furnished or not when you download it. You can also see from the pics if it is just a shell or not. Am I misunderstanding the question?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    EgomouseEgomouse Posts: 69 Member
    edited December 2016
    Piperbird wrote: »
    I guess I am also a little confused. You have the option of choosing if it is furnished or not when you download it. You can also see from the pics if it is just a shell or not. Am I misunderstanding the question?

It doesn't really have anything to do with having the option of downloading furnished builds as unfurnished. It's an option that I'm pretty sure is in previous Sims games. I definitely remember moving into houses in Sims 3 and getting an option of buying unfurnished.
    I told her that she can check the pictures, descriptions, hashtags, or titles of the build to figure out if its unfurnished.

I'm just asking if it's a huge deal for people who likes furnished builds and gets annoyed by the unfurnished builds, and if people want an option to help further prevent the issue.

Seems like most people would like the furnished/unfurnished option. It's not a necessary option, just a nice option to have.

If I would implement the option, I would go about as having maybe four options for it: semi-furnished (some people do actually just decorate like half the build, like if there's two town houses on the same lot. This would fall under this category), fully furnished, unfurnished, and the last one is just the "default option". I don't know what it should be called, but I think it would label every build uploaded to the gallery before the option was implemented to be labelled as that, and anyone who chooses not to use the drop-down menu.
    So, uploaders that are too lazy to scroll down for that menu will fall under the default option. People that don't care if its furnished or not can just use that option. The default option is basically a wildcard and as the option says, builds will be defaulted to it and searching would default to it, if you don't refine it.

The furnished/unfurnished search option suggestion wasn't really the purpose of the thread (or at least initially before I made this thread), just something I thought about to help solve that particular person's problem and maybe other people's problems as I wrote the thread. People are totally free to offer any other solutions.
  • Options
    Of the two actions, I would think building is a lot more difficult some most simmers than decorating. Placing a lamp or table is easier than wrestling with the roof problems that may arise. I have seen only a couple of builds that were unfurnished, however there may be a lot more out there. I have built what I call faux apartments (they look like S2 builds but do not function as apartments) and furnished one apartment to show what is possible. If I have six to twelve apartments in a building, I am not going to decorate all the apartments since some people like to decorate. It is always quite clear in the pictures that one is furnished and the others are not. If this is a problem, then don't download my apartment. Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Find a house you like on the Gallery and click download. A window should pop up asking if you want to buy it furnished or unfurnished. Click unfurnished and the house will be empty waiting for your sim to decorate it. This also happens when you move to another house. Choose unfurnished and for a touch of realism, do not sell your existing furniture. Once you have moved, the old furniture should be in your household inventory (the open box in the corner in build/buy mode) and place the old furniture in your new house. Just like in real life.

The issue is that there are builders who create beautiful houses, but they're completely empty inside (sometimes they still only have the cement floors and drywall, no floor or wall coverings). So if you're looking for a starter or medium price home (less than 20K or maybe 20K to 40K) you'll see a great house, but when you look at the thumbnails it's completely empty. So by the time you buy it and furnish it the house ends up way over budget.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    My cousin got married and they bought a cute little house that really was a little too expensive for their budget but they moved in and slept in sleeping bags and sat on boxes and added furniture as they could. That's real life and that's what players claim they want. I can't remember how may times in S2 I sold something in order to buy something else I needed at that moment. If it were easy, it would be boring. If push comes to shove, cheat money or pick a different house. There's tons of them in the gallery. Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I use both furnished and unfurnished houses. most times I pick furnished, but then completely refurnish it anyway. I like to take modern houses and put Victorian or old fashioned furnishings in it vice versa.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I usually make starters that are comepletely furnished. But sometimes if I am builder a midrange house I don't. I figure they are going to have furniture. Actually, I dont generally have them totally empty. I tend to put the bathrooms amd kitchens in, just like you would find in real life.
  • Options
    CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    I prefer to download furnished houses since I like them to be move in ready. I go by the price of the house to know if it is furnished or not, a cheaper price means it is unfurnished.