Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does sims 4 get better with expansions and game packs

I want to give sims 4 another shot. I'm still not struck on the idea of no open world as I'm so used to sims 3 and the freedom it gives you. I only have the Base game of sims 4 so looking for advice whether to invest in the expansion packs of sims 4 and the game packs. Just looking for thoughts not turning it to a vs war. I have all the sims 3 exps and stuff packs
Thanking you in advance
Julie :)

Comments

• Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    I found the two expansions pretty lackluster. The game packs and stuff packs add some charm to the game, but wears thin pretty quickly.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I think with get together clubs yes. I like to play rotationally and it's a great thing to be able to set up groups, decide where they hang out and what they do. I don't know if that's something for you, but the windenburg neighbourhoods are also bigger than in base game. I still get lost easily when I play at the countryside
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    In my case, yes, adding content (I include stuff packs as well) does help improve the game. But it all depends how you use the content. Get To Work is pretty limited (the best part for me is the ability to upgrade the rocket to go to Sixam for new collectibles), but Get Together has added a lot of value to my game. I have two couples that are close friends, so I put them in a club (their kids will join the club when they hit young adult) so it makes it easier to do activities together like going out to eat (Dine Out), play games, or watch movies (Movie Hangout). You might want to hold off for a few months because there's a new EP close to completion, and it might add features that you'll find interesting or that will combine well with existing content (for example, new activities that your GT clubs and groups can participate in).

If you want recommendations, I'd go as follows:
    1. Spa Day (game pack)
    2. Dine Out (game pack)
    3. Get Together (expansion)
    4. Outdoor Retreat (game pack)
    5. Get To Work (expansion)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    edited September 2016
    Going from a fully expanded Sims 3 to just the Sims 4 base game is a huge leap downward, so to be fair you do need some packs to make it more enjoyable. Go ahead and watch some Let's Plays for the EPs, and check out the past livestreams for Dine Out and the most recent SPs. That will give you a pretty good idea for what's in those packs.

@stilljustme2 's list is good, and I'd recommend the Movie Hangout and Kids Room SPs as well if you're interested in SPs. I personally love the style of Movie Hangout and use the hairstyles, clothing, and movies very often. Kids Room has some really adorable items and clothing if you like to play children.

Lastly I'd recommend buying what you can on sale. That lessens the blow if the pack turns out to be unenjoyable for you. I've bought only 3 DLC for full-price and those were SPs. I bought everything else on sale and I have all the DLC except for 3 of the SPs.

Edit: Actually 4 SPs that I haven't purchased. I can't seem to do strike-through on mobile.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    More is always better.
  • Options
    ReveryRevery Posts: 166 Member
    This is a personal opinion:

I'd recommend you take a close look at the base game to figure out if it has any feautures/problems you have a hard time getting over. Without mods, some of these - like the culling for example - could be game breaking for you depending on how you play. If you come to the conclusion that you'd still like to give it a try:

The game does get better with add ons. Get Together in particular introduces the club feature which I think offers new ways to play the game. Dine Out & Spa Day are also worth getting. Since you already own the base game, you might as well try to make it work for you. I'd recommend to get them while they're on sale if you can; that's what I did and I don't have any regrets. :)

I used to struggle with the idea of no open world, too. I played the demo when TS4 came out and didn't touch it again until recently after re-watching LGR's reviews (which are very helpful if you're trying to form an opinion) about the ep's and gp's. Ultimately, I don't miss the open world nearly as much as I thought I would. What I think needs to be added are more options to costumize the worlds - you're really kind of stuck with what you're given here. :(

I should mention something that heavily alters how the game behaves for me in its current state: My game is full of mods and cc. I don't enjoy playing any of the sims games without. After all, no matter how much the open world doesn't bother me, things like culling turn the game into a hostile environment for my play style.

Additionally, I would recommend to wait for an announcement of the upcoming expansion pack. This could help determine the direction the game takes and may be another factor in your decision.

Hope this was helpful! :*
  • Options
    tonicmoletonicmole Posts: 121 Member
    edited September 2016
    For me it did, but only for a short amount of time. It's still the same game and I found that I burned through all the content pretty fast. Like the base game it just doesn't have any legs, and none of the new content addresses much of the missing features. So, for the price I cannot recommend any of the additional DLC. You'll spend hundreds of dollars and Sims 4 will still feel empty within a rather short time. I actually have returned to Sims 3. Still fun.
    What's the deal with the creepy Sim in the yellow shirt, and glasses? The one right up there! I'm guessing what ever he is it starts with "serial".
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Yes, of course. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Going from a fully expanded Sims 3 to just the Sims 4 base game is a huge leap downward, so to be fair you do need some packs to make it more enjoyable. Go ahead and watch some Let's Plays for the EPs, and check out the past livestreams for Dine Out and the most recent SPs. That will give you a pretty good idea for what's in those packs.

@stilljustme2 's list is good, and I'd recommend the Movie Hangout and Kids Room SPs as well if you're interested in SPs. I personally love the style of Movie Hangout and use the hairstyles, clothing, and movies very often. Kids Room has some really adorable items and clothing if you like to play children.

Lastly I'd recommend buying what you can on sale. That lessens the blow if the pack turns out to be unenjoyable for you. I've bought only 3 DLC for full-price and those were SPs. I bought everything else on sale and I have all the DLC except for 3 of the SPs.

Edit: Actually 4 SPs that I haven't purchased. I can't seem to do strike-through on mobile.

It's a bit too late for me to try and rank SPs (it's after 1am here and I should be in bed), plus the OP was asking about EPs and GPs. I find that both Spa Day and Dine Out work the best with Get Together in terms of adding activities for groups (I send my current family out to breakfast every Sunday because my family used to do that, and I'm considering having my teen Sim start a Wellness Group once she gets a couple of points in the skill) so that's why I rated them a bit ahead of GT, plus I think that Spa Day is the most beautiful pack of the entire Sims series, with both game play and Build mode content.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'd make sure that you can at least enjoy playing TS4 without getting too hung up on whatever you feel the short falls are, before exploring the idea of buying out packs for it. If you can't get past whatever hang up's then you don't want to waste your money. You shouldn't even consider buying packs unless and until you know you can get some enjoyment from the base because I sincerely doubt that the core of the game will change much from how it is now.
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2016
    OP. The question you need to ask yourself is, how much am I willing to spend to before I can consider and game enjoyable? For me, if the base game or standard game can't stand on it's own and/or feels like it's missing something then I simply don't buy it and move on. What they add to it later or make available to purchase is irrelevant.
  • Options
    cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    it depends on your game play style going to be
  • Options
    parbopostcardsparbopostcards Posts: 78 Member
    For me it certainly does, but I always like all the new items, that's why I buy the add-ons. I pretty much don't use CC since it used to mess up my previous games in TS3. Right now I am busy with a super sim challenge (Master all skills and aspirations) and I do have to admit I love all the extra things I have unlocked.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    Yes, I have all the packs, and it makes it more fun to play the more that is added....
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I've always thought, regardless of which version, that the sims is boring without at least one EP. I've been playing TS3 lately though, because I miss EPs like Pets and Seasons (which I'm quite sure will be added). Just the base game is boring, in my opinion, packs give something to it (like travelling in TS3's WA or the new carreers in TS4's GTW)
  • Options
    blugar44blugar44 Posts: 229 Member
    To be honest I think TS4 is a good base game. If I hadn't played fully expanded past iterations and this was my intro to the series I'd be totally content without any packs.

Only problem is I have played past iterations haha. So it feels a little bare at first-- I'm sure at the end of its lifecycle TS4 will be fantastic though, imo I think it's got a lot of potential. If you've played past games then I'd recommend expanding but once you start you can't stop.

So far there isn't really a lot to buy though. The expansion packs are exactly what they claim to be; they'll expand your gameplay haha. So I'd recommend grabbing them and all 3 gamepacks as well if you have the moolah and the need. Once you have them, sure, they eventually feel as if they were part of the base game all along so you don't appreciate them as much, that could be interpreted as 'stale', but just imagine playing without them with the bare base.

Stuff packs this time around are great imo. My faves are Movie Hangout, Kids Room, Backyard Stuff, Romantic Garden.... basically the most recent ones. Quality and detail is ever-increasing. Gameplay objects make all the difference to make these packs worth it + some great themes and atmospheres.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I like the cas/build/buy content that the two EPs and the one SP I own come with. Of the SPs I only have Luxury Party Stuff.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I want to give sims 4 another shot. I'm still not struck on the idea of no open world as I'm so used to sims 3 and the freedom it gives you. I only have the Base game of sims 4 so looking for advice whether to invest in the expansion packs of sims 4 and the game packs. Just looking for thoughts not turning it to a vs war. I have all the sims 3 exps and stuff packs

It really depends on your game play. The base game has had a number of updates since launch, so you might want to try it again and see if you can get past the no-open-world part. Try having your Sims spend time in the surrounding neighbourhood areas and head out to parks and other community lots to get a sense of whether the loading screens are too much for you. (I'm fine with them, personally - for some reason watching furniture render in 3 bothered me more - but we're all different that way, and what breaks my immersion won't necessarily be the same thing that breaks yours.)

For a sense of larger world space, consider Outdoor Retreat (GP) and Get Together (EP). Outdoor Retreat's vacation world includes a National Park that's quite a big neighbourhood. The Windenburg world in GT has large neighbourhoods; the island and the rural area in particular can feel very explorable in the neighbourhood space. If you play rotationally or enjoy setting up your own worlds, the GT club system could be a game changer, as it has been for many of us. (See the EP forum area for lots of topics on how people are using it.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited September 2016
    The game can't help but be better with additional content.

If you really love TS3 and TS4 isn't doing it for you because it's not like The Sims 3, the extra content might entertain you for a short duration until you get over the newness. Get Together has been the best addition to the game for me, but I'd still rather play TS3 because of the Open World, Create-A-Style, and age stages. I stopped buying additional content, so I don't have Dining Out, Kids Room Stuff or Backyard stuff. I am waiting to see if we get Toddlers and Pre-teens and a Generations EP.

One reason I keep coming back to TS4 is because of my Sims. I really like them and want to play them.
    I really need Generations, University, and Seasons to hook me into this game, but it looks like I am in for a long wait. EA's absolute silence on Toddlers and the description of weather in expansion packs from their surveys have me very concerned.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member

Honestly, I have tried to go back and play The Sims 3 after 4 but I can't get into it and invest as much time as The Sims 4. #TS4 runs smoother and I like the graphics more; however with that being said...there's definitely more to do in The Sims 3. The Sims 4 EPs seem like an overlay of content already in the game; nothing's really drastically different. Outdoor Retreat's pretty neat if you want to make an Outdoor Sim nd constantly explore Granite Falls. Dine Out's pretty neat if you want to own a restaurant. I think Get Together should have been a GP; all you really do is group Sims together which does give you better control of the Sims. Ultimately it would be up to you. I have them all because with this version everything you can possibly get adds to it that much more. : - /
    71rbpi.png
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I really think that the base game should have had enough content to make it playable for more than a short time. I felt like it needed an EP the day after I installed it. To be completely honest I have found very,very little content with any kind of replay value. If you look around the forums you'll see a lot of people saying things like they played with new content for a few days and then got bored again.

My biggest complaint is that new content isn't fixing the bugs and glitches that make me not want to play.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Not in any big way, no. All the pack so far has been alot of new set dressing IMO. The Game packs have been the best ones in adding new gameplay, but that's only compared to EP's and SP's. For me, the game hasn't changed that much since release, and I don't hope for it do change in the future either. We'll continue to get new 'stuff' and different set dressings to do the same socials and animations and all sims will appear the same (to me). If you like new 'stuff' then sure, it's better because there's new content, but if you're actually looking for in depth gameplay changes - not so much better, no.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    I did like GT. Clubs are pretty neat. You may not understand them at first, so the best way is to ask people for ideas or watch LP youtube videos to see how clubs work for other people and to get some cool ideas, because they really are a cool thing once you actually use them thoroughly.

GTW is cool for a bit, but the shoddy retail system kind of makes it undesirable.

The GP's are the best, IMO ... I've used them the most. Dining Out is insane, and I really love everything about it. You may not be able to work in the restaurant as a chef, but you can run it and create your own restaurant, which is super amazing and cool. OR is okay ... gets kinda old, but it was a really good first introduction to the GP's. Spa Day is pretty good. That one blew me away with how in depth they went with it. Going to one of the spa's is really fulfilling, because they did a great job with it.

Most of the SP's are decent ... surprisingly, Spooky Stuff is one of my favourites ... I love building with SS, because I love the versatility of being able to create a beautiful lot with a creepy looking hideaway or attic. I like to also create lots that look run down and deserted. Spooky Stuff also has pumpkin carving, which is really cool!

Romantic Garden is nice ... a lot of the items in that pack fit the aesthetic that I like in my game.

Patio Stuff is also a good one. I like the outdoor furniture and the hot tubs.

It's really about what you are interested in. One SP/GP/EP may 'do it' for you, but they could also do nothing for you.

Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    It didn't get better for me like I thought it would and I have Spa Day, Get Together, Outdoor Retreat and Get to Work. Those packs were just temporary fixes for being bored with the game then the newness wore off and there was no point in playing it. I don't plan on buying anything else
  • Options
    juleseast3003juleseast3003 Posts: 318 Member
    Well thank you for all your comments I'm having another go. If I can get past the open world bit I'll buy some packs
    Thanking you in advance
    Julie :)