Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You're Supposed to Hate Him!

(I apologize if this isn't in the right place.)

So, I recently got into TS4 again, and, to my surprise, I was actually really enjoying it! However, I decided to spice up my household with some drama: the father Ajay is constantly yelling at Brandon (his son) because his grades aren't great, and Brandon is always very rude to his father. I wanted it to be this dramatic thing when the mother (Elan) found out about this, because she doesn't condone violence or yelling at all. When she saw her husband berating her kid, she started yelling at her husband, and they got into a huge argument.

This would've all been great and super fun-if they weren't constantly friendly with one another in the middle of an argument. They'll stop yelling to have a friendly chat, and right after a fight, they'll want to say nice things to each other, even when their relationship bar is red. This totally breaks he immersion of the fight, and I feel like I can't have any drama in this game, because none of the sims actually want to be mean! How am I supposed to have interesting stories if everyone just wants to sit and have a plum tea party all the time?

Comments

• Options
    maddy122802maddy122802 Posts: 46 Member
    do they have good or outgoing traits?
    tumblr_nadby8g6p81thyt8so1_500.gif
  • Options
    SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this (starts drama/creates stories).

But yes-- I know how you feel. I've had that happen to me more times than none; I try to start some drama or make an enemy and if I don't keep micromanaging them to be mean to each other. It's so frustratinggg
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member

Nope. One of them actually has the evil trait, and he still wants to be nice to his wife!
  • Options
    Summerjase wrote: »
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this (starts drama/creates stories).

But yes-- I know how you feel. I've had that happen to me more times than none; I try to start some drama or make an enemy and if I don't keep micromanaging them to be mean to each other. It's so frustratinggg

Ugh yeah. And since Ajay is evil, I've had him get in fights with people... and then he'll just go back to talking with them nicely. Gah. It's so annoying
  • Options
    SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    Kandy wrote: »

Ugh yeah. And since Ajay is evil, I've had him get in fights with people... and then he'll just go back to talking with them nicely. Gah. It's so annoying

I actually had a similar situation the other day... Like you, I felt like starting some drama in the household. I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I decided I wanted my sims to get a divorce. Of course, first, I wanted them to do some mean interactions because it felt weird just having them divorce out of nowhere... Except after they were done doing the mean interactions to each other, they'd go right back to being friendly with each other! I'm pretty sure the wife even had the "evil" or "mean" trait...
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    MistyDove wrote: »
    This a problem with the Sims 4, everything seems to be happy-happy all the time. I want drama! I want sims to be mean and rude to each other depending on their traits. Frankly, I want their traits to have more of an impact on how they act.

This exactly. I wish story-telling weren't so hard to do because of this or that the immersion wasn't broken so easily.
  • Options

I actually had a similar situation the other day... Like you, I felt like starting some drama in the household. I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I decided I wanted my sims to get a divorce. Of course, first, I wanted them to do some mean interactions because it felt weird just having them divorce out of nowhere... Except after they were done doing the mean interactions to each other, they'd go right back to being friendly with each other! I'm pretty sure the wife even had the "evil" or "mean" trait...

There's just no continuity in this game. Honestly, I'm thinking of just tearing the family apart and then acting like there was a huge fight...
  • Options
    This a problem with the Sims 4, everything seems to be happy-happy all the time. I want drama! I want sims to be mean and rude to each other depending on their traits. Frankly, I want their traits to have more of an impact on how they act.

Yup! I want my evil sim to be mean. But nope-one mean interaction and then everything is happy-go-lucky again.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member

Exactly! I totally agree. I don't like how they can switch emotions so easily. If two Sims are angry at one another or just had a fight....you shouldn't be able to have a friendly chat 2 seconds later. Since this game is based on 'emotions' I find it highly annoying that their emotions aren't more granular. Not to bring up old games, but even in TS2...if a Sim was angry & furious with your Sim...don't even think about trying to have a happy conversation. That angry Sim wasn't having it. There was a period of time before you could have a good convo with that Sim again. I think this game is missing this. TS2 was back in what....2004. 12 years ago, Sims had emotions that actually worked. I think that's what's so frustrating about this game, with using emotions as a selling point. As you mentioned...everything is so happy-happy.
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    Maybe you can put an object in their house that will give them angry moodlets all the time. Then take the object out when you don't need it any more. I don't know what this object would be, though. I know some house objects can give out an emotional aura, but I don't know what does what.
  • Options
    Penelope wrote: »
    Maybe you can put an object in their house that will give them angry moodlets all the time. Then take the object out when you don't need it any more. I don't know what this object would be, though. I know some house objects can give out an emotional aura, but I don't know what does what.

I could, true. I just... I guess I wish the emotions would be more genuine? Like not caused by an object, but actually caused by the sims them self-their wants, wishes, friends, enemies. I wish that those things would influence their emotions, not a statue or a sink.
  • Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    relatable. my sim has the public enemy aspiration and everytime she makes an enemy they will friendly talk with each other, come on EA! where are my rude sims at?
    i remember that in ts3 sims with the rude trait would yell at me for no reason, that was also kinda awkward but definitely better than this.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2016
    I definitely get frustrated by this, but I've found ways to work around it with a bit of effort. If you have your sim paint some "angry" paintings and hang them up in the room, they do the nicey nicey stuff a lot less. Plus you can then serve "Angry Flaming Spaghetti" to all your guests. LOL Unfortunately, this affects all sims, so that's kind of a bummer. It's not totally immersion breaking, because as anyone who is in the room with an jerk knows, it does sap your own emotional happiness, but I really do wish the sims were a little more sensitive to their relationship bars. Enemies should be... well enemies. No friendly options except perhaps a "bury the hatchet" option (or just the apologize one we already have) that would maybe open up friendly interactions for those peeps who want to mend fences.

My sims do not switch emotions frequently, but that's because my house is rigged with decor that keeps the emotions active that I want them to be in. I stack the deck in my favor. ;)

I do like the emotions, but they definitely need some fine tuning and a lot of improvement in certain areas. I would really like to see them give traits more power over a sim's emotional states and actions/behavior too.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    I definitely get frustrated by this, but I've found ways to work around it with a bit of effort. If you have your sim paint some "angry" paintings and hang them up in the room, they do the nicey nicey stuff a lot less. Plus you can then serve "Angry Flaming Spaghetti" to all your guests. LOL Unfortunately, this affects all sims, so that's kind of a bummer. It's not totally immersion breaking, because as anyone who is in the room with an jerk knows, it does sap your own emotional happiness, but I really do wish the sims were a little more sensitive to their relationship bars. Enemies should be... well enemies. No friendly options except perhaps a "bury the hatchet" option (or just the apologize one we already have) that would maybe open up friendly interactions for those peeps who want to mend fences.

Oh gosh... can a sim catch on fire from Angry Flamming Spaghetti? :lol: and yeah, someone suggested objects to put around the house and cause an angry mood. But I do wish that the emotions were authentic, and came from the sims themselves, and not an object.

Like-I just had those two sims divorce, and while the two of them are very sad, the children couldn't care less? Should they care at least a little bit? So even if I put up sad paintings, it still wouldn't seem like the kids care about the divorce, just that they're sad for no reason.
  • Options
    MistyDoveMistyDove Posts: 695 Member
    Now that I think about it, I think I remember MC Command center has something that says "allow mean and mischievous interactions autonomously" so maybe the sims really can't be rude or mean because a majority of those interactions are locked off so they can't use them anyway. So if the sim wants to increase their social need in some way they can only do a select few rude interactions and they have such an overwhelming amount of nice interactions they can do, they just seem to act kind all the time
  • Options
    Now that I think about it, I think I remember MC Command center has something that says "allow mean and mischievous interactions autonomously" so maybe the sims really can't be rude or mean because a majority of those interactions are locked off so they can't use them anyway. So if the sim wants to increase their social need in some way they can only do a select few rude interactions and they have such an overwhelming amount of nice interactions they can do, they just seem to act kind all the time

They really should have more mean interactions, at least for mean or evil sims. It's kind of the same "insult" stuff over and over again. I wish CC actions was possible to create, because I'd love some more mean interactions! I've only had one sim autonomously be mean to someone once, and then the two went right back to their conversation...
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2016
    LOL The possibility of fire from the spaghetti never actually occurred to me. LOL! I don't know... I have never had them catch on fire, though. (Now that you mention it, I really hope it's a possibility because that would be so AWESOME!!!).

I totally agree, though, the relationship bars need to have more influence over how the sims interact with one another outside of a club setting. (If two sims are in a club together that totally changes all the social interaction rules, but I'm assuming your couple aren't in the same club).
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    They tend to pick the more meaner options when they're in a foul mood... At least mine do? A lot of my sims are autonomously mean regardless 'cause a lot of them have Mean as a trait. It's kinda sad when I wanna make friends lmao.
    I also have an override to take out the "pleasant surroundings" buff since that ruined emotions a lot for me. :/ With it gone, a lot of my sims stay angry when they're angry, uncomfortable, etc.

Nope. One of them actually has the evil trait, and he still wants to be nice to his wife!

One of my evil sims woke up with whims like this for her late husband :joy: She yelled at him when she woke up, too xD
    cfea2c667baa15efddf69376ae0d2ed2.png
  • Options
    butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    I don't mind the emotions sometimes. Like when the kids come home from school sad or angry, but that feeling will only last like an hour and then they'll be happy again. I wish they would just last a little longer because I feel like it would make the story more interesting.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yes!

If I have spent the time to make two sims enemies I would hope that their actions toward each other would reflect that. I spend a lot of time building different relationships between my sims, having them being angry/mean-toward someone who they have a major red bar with is not easy to come by.

This mod by Shimrod101 made it much better at least.
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=579603
  • Options
    Cement wrote: »
    They tend to pick the more meaner options when they're in a foul mood... At least mine do? A lot of my sims are autonomously mean regardless 'cause a lot of them have Mean as a trait. It's kinda sad when I wanna make friends lmao.
    I also have an override to take out the "pleasant surroundings" buff since that ruined emotions a lot for me. :/ With it gone, a lot of my sims stay angry when they're angry, uncomfortable, etc.

One of my evil sims woke up with whims like this for her late husband :joy: She yelled at him when she woke up, too xD
    cfea2c667baa15efddf69376ae0d2ed2.png

:lol: once they started fighting my mean sim did get a few whims to yell @ his (now) ex-wife, which was funny. I did have one couple that would yell and then passionately make out, and that was just how their relationship worked (it was honestly hilarious, as the characters I based them after act just like that), so the short-term emotions thing does work sometimes. I guess I just wished that they wouldn't be so friendly while they're hurling insults lol
  • Options
    @SilentKitty thank you! I'll check it out
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I really hate how Evil and mean, Isn't really all that mean. I really want that unapologetic delicious evil. Where sims revel in another sims pain and misery.

I truthfully hate it when my sims who are suppose actually want to kill each other, are getting along autominously.

and the amount of happy sunshine in this game, makes me sick.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

It doesn't matter.I had a wife catch her husband right in the middle of cheating on her......got about a 3 second angry mood. After that it was all rainbows again.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright