Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Plum Tree Family Tree Tool: Developers Wanted

Comments

• Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @ThePlumbob Thanks :) I really like my avatar too.
    As for the volunteer translators, you can list me as a possible volunteer for the Dutch language version. I'd love to help out, but whether I'll be able to will depend on how much time I have or can make for it.

@MDianaSanders Fab, thank you very much! I'll let you know when we're ready to look into it! No worries in terms of time constraints, we don't set any exact timescales for future features since we just do this as a hobby ourselves too! It's completely understandable that you can only devote so much time to projects like this :)
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited August 2016
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    HillyBeth wrote: »
    I've got news for those of you who have been looking for an alternative family tree tool to track your sim families in - we've launched a public beta for our family tree app, The Plum Tree.

We made this web app specifically for TS4, so you can add your sims' traits, aspirations and bios as well. The Plum Tree can be accessed from most standard web browsers. You can learn more about what the tool does and how it works here.

The app is still in beta, but we have now opened this up, which means that if you'd like to use it, you can just head on over to theplumtreeapp.com and create your account.

Check out the post below for quick links and latest news. Remember this is still a beta so there might be some kinks - but we hope you enjoy!

PiDBHIU.jpg

One thing that bothers me is my kids' future wife's parents can't be added to her side of the family tree.

LINK: http://app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#57b0a7adf978430e000498e7

Hey @HillyBeth ! Partner's parents/siblings are a very highly requested feature, if you check out our FAQ and Roadmap you can learn a bit more about why this is not currently possible and how we plan to address that in the future :)
    ernesdo wrote: »
    Yeah, I had thought about the issues of gender coloration when I made my post, but figured I'd ask about having it as an option so those who don't like it don't have to use it. Thank you for the idea of uploading a placeholder image though! I'm going to go ahead and do that by having a purple image for girls and lime green for boys~ :)

@ernesdo That sounds really cool, I imagine the tree will look quite vibrant! :) I look forward to seeing it :)

Okay. Cool. The two kids who are "married" will be married as young adults. They're growing up in the same household.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2016
    Latest News: We've been getting a lot of feature requests, so to keep you in the loop on what's already planned and where we see the priorities, make sure to check out our brand new Roadmap section.

Awesome :)
    Happy to see something about linked trees on there! I think I'll set up my Legacy Lite save's genealogy on your server, and trust that eventually my current teen heiress's in-laws could someday end up on it :) (If she ends up with in-laws not a parentless townie, like her mom did.)

Oh! A thing I'd like would be to be able to have photos of a Sim at other life stages :) Say, Child, Teen, YA/Adult, Elder slots, and we could pick which one showed?
    Post edited by luthienrising on
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Latest News: We've been getting a lot of feature requests, so to keep you in the loop on what's already planned and where we see the priorities, make sure to check out our brand new Roadmap section.

Awesome :)
    Happy to see something about linked trees on there! I think I'll set up my Legacy Lite save's genealogy on your server, and trust that eventually my current teen heiress's in-laws could someday end up on it :) (If she ends up with in-laws not a parentless townie, like her mom did.)

Oh! A thing I'd like would be to be able to have photos of a Sim at other life stages :) Say, Child, Teen, YA/Adult, Elder slots, and we could pick which one showed?

@luthienrising Thank you! :) As for the multiple images to depict lifestages, the advanced avatars bit is intended to do exactly that, once we get to that part of the roadmap :)
  • Options
    Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    @crinrict & @Fonxi121994 The short answer is that it's something we would like to do in the future but is difficult due to the limitations of the technology we currently use. The long answer can be found in our FAQ :)

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to make this app btw, I'm loving it <3
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Options
    CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    edited August 2016
    I have a question how can you show a sim that is dead but looks alive in the picture?

made a few changes..

http://app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#57ae77b48db55b0e00e865c9
    Post edited by CrazyboutTheSims on
  • Options
    I have a question how can you show a sim that is dead but looks alive in the picture? and the son's wife why is her bubble so small here is my family tree so far
    http://app.theplumtreeapp.com/#tree/57ae77b48db55b0e00e865c9

why do I see all the tools in the pic?

@CrazyboutTheSims Looks like your tree's not published yet, if you publish it others will be able to view it and the tools will not be visible. In terms of showing a sim is deceased, I'd perhaps put it in the bio?
  • Options
    I have a question how can you show a sim that is dead but looks alive in the picture? and the son's wife why is her bubble so small here is my family tree so far

@CrazyboutTheSims Looks like your tree's not published yet, if you publish it others will be able to view it and the tools will not be visible. In terms of showing a sim is deceased, I'd perhaps put it in the bio?

lol ok thanks thought I was doing something wrong. This is so cool, I never made a family tree before so I'm really loving it. Thanks for making this.
  • Options

lol ok thanks thought I was doing something wrong. This is so cool, I never made a family tree before so I'm really loving it. Thanks for making this.

Happy that you like it! :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    This looks better.

Why is Olivia's bubble so small ?
  • Options
    This looks better.

Why is Olivia's bubble so small ?

@CrazyboutTheSims The way you've set it up it appears Parker has two partners, though I'm guessing the blank o e is accidental? If you click on edit node and remove the second partner, Olivia's avatar should then be the same size as the others.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    We've had the BETA open for 2 days and have reached 1,000 users and over 1,300 trees have been made!
    Your reaction doesn't cease to amaze us! Thank you!

52ozN51.jpg
  • Options
    eric_the_sims_maneric_the_sims_man Posts: 343 Member
    Has anyone been able to add it to their wordpress site? I've tried using iframe and embedding. Might just be my browser, too. It's not embedding any site I try to embed.
  • Options
    DebraF63DebraF63 Posts: 230 Member
    I have a question, an easy one but my brain isn't letting me think. Anyway - where do you get the pictures from? I am so drawing a blank.
  • Options
    Has anyone been able to add it to their wordpress site? I've tried using iframe and embedding. Might just be my browser, too. It's not embedding any site I try to embed.

I found my answer. Cannot embed/iframe on subdomained wordpress.com sites. Guess it'll work when I move it over to MY site. :)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    DebraF63 wrote: »
    I have a question, an easy one but my brain isn't letting me think. Anyway - where do you get the pictures from? I am so drawing a blank.

From the game..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

@eric_the_sims_man Yep you can embedd it in a page, like so:

<iframe src="yourpublishedtreeurl" width="100%" height="500"></iframe>

Obviously you might want to tweak the width and height to suit your page layout :)

We'll add this to the guides!
  • Options

Obviously you might want to tweak the width and height to suit your page layout :)

You can't if you're hosted on wordpress.com. Ex: yoursite.wordpress.com -- They don't allow embedding other sites into your wordpress sites. Self hosting sites from wordpress.org you can.
  • Options

You can't if you're hosted on wordpress.com. Ex: yoursite.wordpress.com -- They don't allow embedding other sites into your wordpress sites. Self hosting sites from wordpress.org you can.

Just read that, that's plummy. My blog is wordpress based but not hosted by them, so I didn't know that's how they worked. On our end embedding is not an issue though.

What I'd probably do is take a print screen of the tree and upload the image with a link to the tree. In fact that's more or less what I've done for my blog anyway :)
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member

The easiest is to download s4pe then delete the tumbnailcache file in your user folder. Start the game and navigate through your tree.

Then close the game and open the file in s4pe.

Click through the THUM and export them as PNG by rightclicking on them.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options

@DebraF63 You can always just take them direct from your Screenshots folder and crop them while uploading :)
  • Options
    fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    edited August 2016
    For those who do not like gender colour, I think it could be nice if we could chose the circle colour we want. White by default and those who want to change it have the option to do it when they customize the Sim. It could be used for other things than gender, for those who want to identifies deceased Sim, Ghost, etc. For those who would like to choose a colour depending the type of death (fire = red, electrocuted = yellow, drowned = blue, etc. The player could chose what he likes). It could have a lot of possibilities.

Personally it would be for gender because I find it really important in my play-style. For example, I would let it white for my sims who do not identifies themselves to any gender, yellow for female and green for male.

With having the choice of the color, it could create a lot of possibilities for everyone. Then, you could let white as the default colour so people could do what they want with it.
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member

I've had my sims use the dresser to plan their outfits to get them back into CAS and take screenshot. That way, all the pictures match. :)

• Options
    fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    Jase wrote: »

I've had my sims use the dresser to plan their outfits to get them back into CAS and take screenshot. That way, all the pictures match. :)

I do the same thing ! Its really easy with the option to crop the picture in the Plum Tree.
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    fabeme wrote: »
    For those who do not like gender colour, I think it could be nice if we could chose the circle colour we want. White by default and those who want to change it have the option to do it when they customize the Sim. It could be used for other things than gender, for those who want to identifies deceased Sim, Ghost, etc. For those who would like to choose a colour depending the type of death (fire = red, electrocuted = yellow, drowned = blue, etc. The player could chose what he likes). It could have a lot of possibilities.

Personally it would be for gender because I find it really important in my play-style. For example, I would let it white for my sims who do not identifies themselves to any gender, yellow for female and green for male.

With having the choice of the color, it could create a lot of possibilities for everyone. Then, you could let white as the default colour so people could do what they want with it.

@fabeme We will be greater colour customisation for sure - it's already in the Roadmap :)