Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To all the world builders, are you as unhappy as family players?

Comments

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Did you use SimCity to build the Sims 2 worlds? How did that work out? Sometimes I wonder if the Sims 4 worlds are the way they are because SimCity failed. Like it was cool having the two series tie to each other, but with the PC version failing, that isn't even an option anymore.

I would love to see samples of your slums sometime even if privately. Cool seeing how other Simmers create worlds.

I did use SimCity. I never played in the premade neighbourhoods. Found it quite fun and easy.

What I'm about to show you is all in one save. Every element is designed to go together and to compliment the other. Some are rather plain.

I built them all after FFVII. Only 2 of them are from PlasticBox, the rest are mine.

My main hood:
    Midgar. Made to look like a small city
    01Midgar.jpg

My subhoods:
    The farmlands: PlasticBox made this one and I revamped it to my own. He did such a great job on the 'farm' look for it.
    02Farmlands.jpg
    Gongaga. The homes are all designed with 'huts' in mind.
    03Gongaga.jpg
    Kalm. Meant to have that 'old town feel'
    04Kalm.jpg
    Lower Junon. Another one made by Plasticbox. I also revamped this one, but felt he did a great job intregrating that 'fisherman' feel I was after.
    05LowerJunon.jpg
    Nibelheim. A more desolate location
    06Nibelheim.jpg
    North Corel. Tried to make all the homes look as best like tents as I could
    07NorthCorel.jpg
    Rocket Town. Kind of a backwoods location
    08RocketTown.jpg
    Sector 2. One of my slums.
    09Sector2.jpg
    Sector 5. Another of my slums
    10Sector5.jpg
    Sector 7. Another slum
    11Sector7.jpg

My downtowns:
    Cosmo Canyon. My desert getaway. Most of the shops are like old local tribes
    21CosmoCanyon.jpg
    Gold Saucer: Meant to be like a large town based on an amusement park
    22GoldSaucer.jpg
    Wall Market. A slum-based, back alley type location
    23WallMarket.jpg

My Universities:
    Bone Village. A University local for gardeners, musicians, crafters, artists, and readers.
    31BoneVillage.jpg
    Fort Condor. A University for the mechanically inclined, fitness, and sports.
    32Gongaga.jpg
    Junon. A military base/university for the strategic gamers, chefs for the barracks, and the scientifically inclined.
    33Junon.jpg

My Vacation spots:
    Costa Del Sol. Always sunny on the beach :)
    40CostaDelSol.jpg
    The forgotten Capital. Based on a hidden world of magic and romance with an almost mushroom-organic-fantasy look. Spring is always in the air.
    41ForgottenCapital.jpg
    Icicle Inn. That wonderful winter getaway for the family
    42IcicleInn.jpg
    Mideel. An island away from the rest of the world.
    43Mideel.jpg
    Temple of the Ancients. A great place to visit the ruins
    44TempleOfTheAncients.jpg
    Wutai. After all, who doesn't love the wonders of the far East?
    45Wutai.jpg

Omg! This is TS2? I thought I was looking at 3!

Wow, great photos! I'm actually blown away. I mean, I play TS2 more than any other sims game. I didn't know it could look THIS good.

--T
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting thread.

There is one difference between CAW and Toddlers.

Toddlers are part of game play and could possibly come.

CAW is a 'build your own environment' tool that probably wont ever come in TS4 so mot builders just simply accept it.

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @kremesch73 - That settles it, I'm getting TS2 on the App store!

Mac players have always gotten the short end of the stick with world editing, so I've been feeling the pain of no CAW since TS3. But at least there were world editing tools, and the ability to nuke all the buildings and replace them with our own lots wherever we wanted. Though I have to admit that TS3 took so long to bulldoze and place new lots on my computer that I never had the patience to do that anyway. However, we got so many amazing worlds available on the Store, and each EP came with a great new world, so I never felt the same need to completely design a new world. I thought it was an incredible system in TS3 with having new worlds available on the Store - that way we could really pick and choose which worlds we wanted and which ones we weren't bothered with. (Lunar Lakes is still my all-time favourite.)

But TS4 has neither CAW nor the Store, so we are stuck with the precious few worlds there are. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that there aren't even blank world templates like in TS2, and no ability to place lots, so players are stuck with the lot sizes and numbers we have already designed for us. In TS2 I loved designing run-down Downtowns. I loved giving the houses addresses and making street plans and everything. My sister had one Sim who was notorious for getting married, having kids, then jumping ship to a brand new town where she could start the whole thing over again. It was always fun designing new worlds to match those themes. And don't even get me STARTED on our ability in TS2 (and TS3 with the Store worlds) to have multicultural worlds. It is so strange to me that there is NO Asian world or clothing in TS4 since that has been a staple since TS2. (Never played TS1 so can't speak for that.) Urban and rural play have also long been staples of the Sims games for handheld and console, with Bustin' Out and the Urbz, so it's a real shame that TS4 doesn't let us recreate these settings.

Well, I could fume about this for another hour but I'd better get to work... :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2016
    @Terra you'll love it. Aspyr updated the graphics for modern machines for Mac too ;)

It looks great.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @Terra you'll love it. Aspyr updated the graphics for modern machines for Mac too ;)

It looks great.

Ooooh excellent. :) I'm excited - I think I'll get it for myself as a reward when my summer internship is over. :smiley:
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    I'm mostly a family player but i totally want CAW back, even if i'm bad at it. Because so many simmers create so many beautiful things, and i totally lack of place for my family that i just hope they bring it back, like that i'll can download world (maybe in the gallery ) for my game.
  • Options
    noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    edited August 2016
    Create a World was, in my opinion the single greatest innovation in the Sims franchise, and maybe in all of "gaming".

To create that world filled with beaches ( & ocean swimming), the farmland, the mountains, complete with cabins, and the city. Lakes, and streams, and waterfalls, and the absolute joy of watching those worlds come alive with Sims.
    Almost as incredible were the worlds created by others. There were a few people who were incredibly talented & I loved their work.
    There was nothing ever in "gaming" that I enjoyed more than CAW. When it was combined with seasons, it blew me away.
    In fact I'm one of those dinosaurs who STILL use CAW, and STILL downloads worlds.

Which is why I just can't embrace TS4. Sad, I loved TS1, TS2, and TS3 with CAW was the ultimate.
    Do I think that EA/Maxis, or whoever is calling the shots will make a CAW for this game? Not a chance. Nor do I believe for a moment that toddlers will return either.

Post edited by noodlesandme on
  • Options
    @noodlesandme Well said! :smiley:

I agree, The Sims was great for years but CAW was pretty much the cherry on the top! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Boy, I sure do miss the fixed camera angles and isometric views in TS1! The lack of basements, only two story tall buildings, and roofs with no flat siding sure were a plus! Who needs half walls, curved decks, a build/buy mode search feature and filters anyway, am I right? :D

Oh! And don't even get me started on that stupid gallery they got these days. I mean, who didn't love having to recreate your favorite kitchen by scratch every single time back in the day. Being able to load in rooms, or delete them in a single key stroke, is so passe! Why, I cherish the hours I'd have to delete half the walls in a room, just to extend it a few spaces on the grid.

Gave you time to think, you know? ;) Gee whiz, those sure were the days.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Boy, I sure do miss the fixed camera angles and isometric views in TS1! The lack of basements, only two story tall buildings, and roofs with no flat siding sure were a plus! Who needs half walls, curved decks, a build/buy mode search feature and filters anyway, am I right? :D

Oh! And don't even get me started on that plum gallery they got these days. I mean, who didn't love having to recreate your favorite kitchen by scratch every single time back in the day. Being able to load in rooms, or delete them in a single key stroke, is so passe! Why, I cherish the hours I'd have to delete half the walls in a room, just to extend it a few spaces on the grid.

Yes and it is great that babies are no longer objects tied to a crib... ;)

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    I miss the building tools in TS4. Not CAW so much as just average landscaping tools and the simple ability to lay down lots !
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

Oh! And don't even get me started on that plum gallery they got these days. I mean, who didn't love having to recreate your favorite kitchen by scratch every single time back in the day. Being able to load in rooms, or delete them in a single key stroke, is so passe! Why, I cherish the hours I'd have to delete half the walls in a room, just to extend it a few spaces on the grid.

Which has nothing to do with build mode.
  • Options
    Arletta wrote: »

Which has nothing to do with build mode.

The baby crib could be moved in build and buy mode, so it is semi related ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member

One difference being that the isometric, fixed camera, basement and floor level lacking Sims 1 was just that: The first. This game is the fourth and lacks in areas that the first game did. It has no excuse.

Maybe you should take your own advice and think before you type these..."witty" posts.
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

One difference being that the isometric, fixed camera, basement and floor level lacking Sims 1 was just that: The first. This game is the fourth and lacks in areas that the first game did. It has no excuse.

Maybe you should take your own advice and think before you type these..."witty" posts.

I'd take being able to pick up and move whole rooms up and down any 6 levels and placing them anywhere over making little hills on the ground that messed with Sims pathing and couldn't be built on anyway. *shrugs* I'd take being able to make a 'hidden' home underground with a cleverly hidden staircase and otherwise open lot over ponds that couldn't connect to anything. And beyond hills (or the opposite, valleys), and that pond tool, there was literally nothing else in Sims 1 build mode that Sims 4 did have and lots that it didn't.

Saying Sims 1 build mode compared to Sims 4 is a 'mic drop' moment is laughable at best.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options

I'd take being able to pick up and move whole rooms up and down any 6 levels and placing them anywhere over making little hills on the ground that messed with Sims pathing and couldn't be built on anyway. *shrugs* I'd take being able to make a 'hidden' home underground with a cleverly hidden staircase and otherwise open lot over ponds that couldn't connect to anything. And beyond hills (or the opposite, valleys), and that pond tool, there was literally nothing else in Sims 1 build mode that Sims 4 did have and lots that it didn't.

Saying Sims 1 build mode compared to Sims 4 is a 'mic drop' moment is laughable at best.

Glad that's all that matters. Would you also take the empty shell of emotional gameplay over previous games too? If so, all the power to you. Have at her!
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    CAW was the icing on top!!! How did we go from having CAW, Terrain tool, All different types of stairs, floor platforms, Garages, Barns, Auto Roof, round roofs, variety with landscaping..... to the bare basics? I know all the sims games have started out a little generic... but come on!!! 2 years and nothing....seriously nothing. Oh sure, a couple of added floor and wall patterns. Even the windows and doors are basic.

My frustrations with this version of the game have made me go back to TS3. I don't know what the next EP for TS4 will bring... but I'm hoping they have put something in there for us builders...I'd hate to spend more money just to find out we are stuck with the same stuff.... again.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I absolutely miss creating my own original towns and being able to set the map type, terrain type, lot sizes, and neighborhood set pieces myself! I always make original towns when playing TS2 and have NEVER played any of the pre-made 'hoods. I like playing my own stories with my own cast, thanks.

It was really disheartening for me going into TS4 and having to play pre-built, pre-populated neighborhoods where most of the good-sized lots were either claimed by pre-made households or at least pre-made homes that starting sims couldn't even afford unfurnished (and, heck, even some of the puny lots have starter-unfriendly homes on them). And, of course, it's a pain in the butt evicting everyone and then having to go into build-mode and bulldoze each lot to create a blank template...which you must then devote a whole un-touched save to so you can spin off other blank starters using "Save As". Then, of course, there's the fact that playing the same dang towns in every single save starts to get slightly stale after a while, and building community lots gets kind of repetitive thanks to those checklists. I mean, does every club really need a garbage can? A can that our sims never even use?

So, yeah, as far as world building goes, this game is very lacking. TS2 is a better game in terms of that aspect because there's just so much more freedom and versatility. TS4 is kind of the Madlibs of world building...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    LaraNocturnalLaraNocturnal Posts: 74 Member
    I would even take octagonal roofs and be happy right now...

I'm a build-focused player, although I wasn't much of a CAW-er. I love that you can pick up rooms and move them around, or alter foundations after the fact.

But.

No terrain tools, no cfe cheat, inability to use attics (although you can sort of simulate them), only straight stairs, and just everything is so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 limited. There is no aspect of sims 4 that doesn't come with a stifling, limited feel to it, and building is no exception.

Never even mind that there is zero you can do with the world like add lots etc. And I don't see that changing.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2016

Actually if you choose to rework a kitchen over and over that is because you choose to do that - many of us were smart enough to use the blueprint and save the rooms to our save files. Can't help it you didn't think of that. That was in the Sims 3 and just something Maxis saw good enough to do again in Sims 4 - they just don't call it blue print - but it is the same thing. Here's a video from Sims 3 of an entire family home made with the blueprint system in SIMS 3 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rzQ269yeWQ

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Actually if you choose to rework a kitchen over and over that is because you choose to do that - many of us were smart enough to use the blueprint and save the rooms to our save files. Can't help it you didn't think of that. That was in the Sims 3 and just something Maxis saw good enough to do again in Sims 4 - they just don't call it blue print - but it is the same thing. Here's a video from Sims 3 of an entire family home made with the blueprint system in SIMS 3 -

Wow. That's cool. Never thought of using blueprints that way. I rarely re-use rooms or plans though. Prefer to always build as I go. I only ever used the room tool in S4 to save collections because collecting is tedious and boring, imo. Once I've completed a collection, I see no point to ever do it again. Think I might play around with that system though. looks useful.
  • Options

Wow. That's cool. Never thought of using blueprints that way. I rarely re-use rooms or plans though. Prefer to always build as I go. I only ever used the room tool in S4 to save collections because collecting is tedious and boring, imo. Once I've completed a collection, I see no point to ever do it again. Think I might play around with that system though. looks useful.

I use it a lot in Sims 3 as I am a bit of a lazy builder - lol and love to save tons of rooms when I do build something I like.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member

I use it a lot in Sims 3 as I am a bit of a lazy builder - lol and love to save tons of rooms when I do build something I like.

@Writin_Reg Doesn't that take a mod though? I mean there's no way to just do it in game is there? I would love it if there was and even without it the Sims 3 build engine is better than 4 due to CASt and being able to place lots where you want them in town.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

@Writin_Reg Doesn't that take a mod though? I mean there's no way to just do it in game is there? I would love it if there was and even without it the Sims 3 build engine is better than 4 due to CASt and being able to place lots where you want them in town.

NO I don't use any mods or CC - it is in the game.

Here, wiki talks about it. I learned to use it after the Devs did an let's play after they added it to the game in a patch.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Blueprint_mode

also here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sims+3+blueprint&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE8ciSw4DPAhVLQiYKHWBXBjIQsAQIHQ&biw=1904&bih=959

just google it - lol. The tool to make them is in your game or should be. Do you have all the patches? We have had it Since Sims 3 Seasons or there abouts.

It's in build/buy mode.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,759 Member
    Sel wrote: »
    idk i mean CAW would be nice but it would probably be a huge pain in ts4 and would need lots of effort to create worlds :D hopefully they'll find a way for players to create worlds tho, but i'm not really "expecting" anything :D

I'd be happy to have the ability to create neighborhoods, such as we could do in Sims2. Took me quite some time before I was 'brave' enough to try my hand at it, but once I did, I made the houses myself and afterward played only in my own self-built neighborhoods.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top