Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 > Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    QDog wrote: »

[TS3] Cons:
    - Laggy even on higher end computers -3 (this is the biggest issue for me)
    - No multitasking -2
    - Robotic animations -1
    - Not that many sims on public spaces -1
    - CAS: needs CC -1 (only -1 because it has the color wheel)

I disagree somewhat on your Cons.

Lag: Being a 32-bit & one core game, you can run it on a potato as long as you are willing to tweak the game. I have found ParkControl to be very helpful, for example.

Multi-tasking: This does exist in TS3. For example, a Sim holding a baby will answer their cell phone at the same time. TS4 multi-tasking seems to be over done; too much is happening at once and the Sims seem to be out of control at times.

Robotic: TS3 Sims might be a little "stiffer" (at least compared to TS4!) but the TS4 Sims seem too exaggerated (which works for a small-screen mobile game maybe but not on a 21" monitor)

Community lot visitors: I frequently have 12-15 sims show up at a lot. Certain lots might get more or less visitors as the game pushes them according to their traits, I believe, e.g. bookworms at the library, etc.

CAS: The colour wheel alone should have put this in the Pro category :smiley:

I have to admit that my game now runs so much better! I've followed the advice in this thread, and I've also downloaded another town, which is smaller and the game runs like wonder! Thanks so much everyone for your tips! Seriously, I'm so glad!! I haven't had a single FPS drop and I've been playing for a while now.

I think the problem with empty venues was...well, that my former town was empty!! I just realized the town I was playing in only had my sim + some game-generated co-workers and NPCs. Also, it was so big that the few townies that lived there were scattered all around town. I think my new smaller town (which is also prepopulated) will have fuller venues (but I have yet to confirm this).
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @QDog If you have NRaas mods, MasterController has an option that really speeds up load times in CAS. MC - settings - CAS - show in compact form - true. You can enable it for clothing and accessories and hair too, I think. All those hairs that show three different versions will only show one and it loads so much quicker!
    :o
    Is that the basic version of MC?

I think it is. I saved me on my old computer and I might enable it again just because CAS loads so fast then. Unfortunately I haven't played recently so I can't remember where to click but it's easy to find.
    It sounds perfect. I don't use presets in the game anyway, so I don't even need three versions.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »

[TS3] Cons:
    - Laggy even on higher end computers -3 (this is the biggest issue for me)
    - No multitasking -2
    - Robotic animations -1
    - Not that many sims on public spaces -1
    - CAS: needs CC -1 (only -1 because it has the color wheel)

I disagree somewhat on your Cons.

Lag: Being a 32-bit & one core game, you can run it on a potato as long as you are willing to tweak the game. I have found ParkControl to be very helpful, for example.

Multi-tasking: This does exist in TS3. For example, a Sim holding a baby will answer their cell phone at the same time. TS4 multi-tasking seems to be over done; too much is happening at once and the Sims seem to be out of control at times.

Robotic: TS3 Sims might be a little "stiffer" (at least compared to TS4!) but the TS4 Sims seem too exaggerated (which works for a small-screen mobile game maybe but not on a 21" monitor)

Community lot visitors: I frequently have 12-15 sims show up at a lot. Certain lots might get more or less visitors as the game pushes them according to their traits, I believe, e.g. bookworms at the library, etc.

CAS: The colour wheel alone should have put this in the Pro category :smiley:

I have to admit that my game now runs so much better! I've followed the advice in this thread, and I've also downloaded another town, which is smaller and the game runs like wonder! Thanks so much everyone for your tips! Seriously, I'm so glad!! I haven't had a single FPS drop and I've been playing for a while now.

I think the problem with empty venues was...well, that my former town was empty!! I just realized the town I was playing in only had my sim + some game-generated co-workers and NPCs. Also, it was so big that the few townies that lived there were scattered all around town. I think my new smaller town (which is also prepopulated) will have fuller venues (but I have yet to confirm this).

Also if you are building lots it is better to keep them smaller, it will look more crowded with the 15-20 sim that come instead of a huge place that looks empty because sims are scattered
  • Options
    TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    I would seriously only play TS3 if it weren't for the lag! I've played since TS1, but it was TS2 that truly got me hooked! I'd love a Sims game that merges TS2 & 3. I find that I don't go places that often in TS4 because of the loading screens! I miss the open world aspect, but totally get why it's missing.
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    @QDog I'm glad you're enjoying the game! And for personal reasons curious if you're satisfied with the sims you created ;)?

I am!! It's the first time I'm satisfied with a sim I created from scratch in Ts3! Of course that's thanks to you and your tips! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that one of the main reasons that kept me from going back to Ts3 was the sims' looks (I know it's shallow) but after seeing your beautiful sims my opinion completely changed! :) I now follow some ts3 simblrs too and some of them are very inspiring too!

I will post a picture of Harmony later ( I'm at work now!) :) she's my legacy founder!
    Yaay ^.^ Glad i could help (female sims aren't my focus by the way; my females are the result of a good male that doesn't look too awful as a female so in that respect nothing is thanks to me :# ). Real curious for your sim and what CC skin you picked up.

And...here's Harmony!!

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot.jpg

I know she may not be the prettiest or most unique sim out there (I'm almost embarrassed to show you!), but it's my first attempt (I'll probably get better once I get used to the sliders again!) and it's the first sim that I've created in TS3 that I have ever liked (I used to download all my sims before...).

I got a Maxis match skin in a matter tone from here: sssvitlans.tumblr.com/post/120849269624/moonskin93-svmblr-time-for-more-matte-maxis. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference though...I may try other defaults in the future too :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    All the sims games have had multi-tasking, they just took it to another level in TS4. It does make the sims move more naturally in some cases but personally I hope that if there's ever a TS5 they'll rethink the system. It's one of the reasons for the small, closed lots and I much prefer open world. If not open world, at least open neighborhoods.

Second the system appears to be the reason they're having difficulty adding content to the game. It's one of the reasons they didn't make babies that weren't tied to cribs and why there are no toddlers. It's also why it takes sims ages to eat, why they won't finish tasks they're assigned, and why maids won't always clean and employees won't always do their jobs - those sims are constantly looking for additional actions to perform so that it looks like they're multitasking.

So IMO it's cool, but requires way too many trade-offs that don't make it worth it to me.

I remember multi tasking in TS1 where Sims would talk to other Sims while watching TV or eating and taking part in group activities.

Most skill objects also provided fun as well. If one Sim played the piano they could gain fun, creativity and could have other Zsims watch them. If their creativity was good enough the watching Sims would cheer at them increasing their relationship with that Sim. If creativity was poor then they would boo. It was funny watching adult Sims boo at the children for playing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' ;)

If that is not multi tasking, then I don't know what is. Just as well there was no IPads back then, no selfies while using the toilet :#
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @TheBristolSimmer

Hey, I obviously don't know hat rig you have but it might be worth trying Razer Game booster On my old laptop it eliminated lag and I rarely got crashes and that was on a PC not at all meeting the min requirements. Something else worth trying would be Overwatch willremove cars that are spawned by the game and end up causing lag when they become too much as well as reset stuck sims and pets
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    And...here's Harmony!!

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot.jpg

I know she may not be the prettiest or most unique sim out there (I'm almost embarrassed to show you!), but it's my first attempt (I'll probably get better once I get used to the sliders again!) and it's the first sim that I've created in TS3 that I have ever liked (I used to download all my sims before...).

I got a Maxis match skin in a matter tone from here: sssvitlans.tumblr.com/post/120849269624/moonskin93-svmblr-time-for-more-matte-maxis. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference though...I may try other defaults in the future too :)

She's adorable! Seriously cute! Love the red hair and freckles. :)

I think the more you play her, the more you will love her. Glad you are enjoying it!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    One thing I'll be interested to find out as time goes on is if they'll give more customisation options in Sims 4. So far it seems like a step backward from all the customising you can do in Sims 3
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited July 2016
    @QDog , I think your sim is gorgeous! I have a real fondness for freckles and natural looking sims without tons of makeup and stuff. And the more unique sims are, the more I love them. I have a love of prominent noses, so my sims don't look "cute" most of the time either but that's the way I like them.

I'm glad you're finally getting some enjoyment from the game. It will make you rip out your hair in frustration at times, but it is mostly very rewarding :)

Edit - TS3 sims do multitask. Just last night my sim gave birth to her daughter, and the father ( who is her boss ) came to her house to see the baby, picked her up out of the crib, walked into the living room, sat on the couch with her and turned the telly on to watch. He also talked to her mother while doing so.
    It may not be as streamlined or refined as ts4 but it's there
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @QDog I love her! And she most definitely is unique, there's something slightly mysterious in her look. "What's behind those eyes and that smile", that kind of mysterious. And I <3 her hair colour.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Thanks so much @HappySimmer3 @Pary and @JoAnne65 :) I'm having so much fun playing with her! She really has a really unique personality (I was so used to TS4 bland personalities that I didn't remember how much fun it can be to play with actual traits!).

• Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Thanks so much @HappySimmer3 @Pary and @JoAnne65 :) I'm having so much fun playing with her! She really has a really unique personality (I was so used to TS4 bland personalities that I didn't remember how much fun it can be to play with actual traits!).

Thanks for hosting this thread - and thanks for sharing your lovely Sim with us! I went to school with someone who looked a lot like her - and she was lots of fun :smiley:
  • Options

Just curious, what are her traits?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016

She's an adventurous, rebellious, vegetarian, technophobe who adores cats! Her lifetime wish is to have an animal shelter for strays (i.e. Adopt 6 strays). I wanted her to be a writer but it's kind of hard because she is a technophobe and won't be anywhere near a computer lol she is also pestering all her friends about being a vegetarian all the time. The other day she went the bar and had spaghetti...bad choice on my part because it seems they have meat in them so when she came back home she started throwing up...I love how she keeps rolling wishes that are consistent with her traits (she currently wants to go to Egypt and is saving money for that...whereas in TS4 I've had loner sims who literally wanted to start a club gathering just because I had GT installed...). It's like she is helping me tell her story!
  • Options
    TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    @TheBristolSimmer

Hey, I obviously don't know hat rig you have but it might be worth trying Razer Game booster On my old laptop it eliminated lag and I rarely got crashes and that was on a PC not at all meeting the min requirements. Something else worth trying would be Overwatch willremove cars that are spawned by the game and end up causing lag when they become too much as well as reset stuck sims and pets

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to specs! But I do have a gaming PC built for these sort of games! So I should hope that it runs it ok :) But I will check out those links you gave. All this talk of TS3 has got me intreged again! xoxo
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    @QDog Good that you're having fun! And yes, she's a very pretty sim.
  • Options
    @TheBristolSimmer

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to specs! But I do have a gaming PC built for these sort of games! So I should hope that it runs it ok :) But I will check out those links you gave. All this talk of TS3 has got me intreged again! xoxo

Even with a gaming pc, I'd recommend nrass mods to run the game smoothly
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been using almost all of the NRaas Mod collection to keep my game from glitching out and I'm playing on a laptop with the full collection installed.I've played in custom worlds and usually end up with empty bars and clubs when the town is just starting out because most of my sims don't want to visit the clubs and there's not that many to begin with in Deery Meaodws because it's just my active family until next spring when a new family should be arriving.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options

She's an adventurous, rebellious, vegetarian, technophobe who adores cats! Her lifetime wish is to have an animal shelter for strays (i.e. Adopt 6 strays). I wanted her to be a writer but it's kind of hard because she is a technophobe and won't be anywhere near a computer lol she is also pestering all her friends about being a vegetarian all the time. The other day she went the bar and had spaghetti...bad choice on my part because it seems they have meat in them so when she came back home she started throwing up...I love how she keeps rolling wishes that are consistent with her traits (she currently wants to go to Egypt and is saving money for that...whereas in TS4 I've had loner sims who literally wanted to start a club gathering just because I had GT installed...). It's like she is helping me tell her story!
    Yes, you're exactly describing my experience. In 3 there's a constant interaction between me and my sim, in 4 it's either me OR the game. Not both. She's a real interesting character. Too bad writers can't write with pen and paper anymore :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    @QDog I'm glad you're enjoying the game! And for personal reasons curious if you're satisfied with the sims you created ;)?

I am!! It's the first time I'm satisfied with a sim I created from scratch in Ts3! Of course that's thanks to you and your tips! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that one of the main reasons that kept me from going back to Ts3 was the sims' looks (I know it's shallow) but after seeing your beautiful sims my opinion completely changed! :) I now follow some ts3 simblrs too and some of them are very inspiring too!

I will post a picture of Harmony later ( I'm at work now!) :) she's my legacy founder!
    Yaay ^.^ Glad i could help (female sims aren't my focus by the way; my females are the result of a good male that doesn't look too awful as a female so in that respect nothing is thanks to me :# ). Real curious for your sim and what CC skin you picked up.

And...here's Harmony!!

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot.jpg

She's absolutely gorgeous :smile:
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member

I won't swear by it, but I think at one time I saw a mod for writers that would allow them to write with a pen and paper instead of using a computer. I will look around or it might be on my daughters computer. She plays sims 3 and loves to create sims and build houses. I will link it if I can find it. It could be that I'm just dreaming too..lol
  • Options
    Thanks so much @mortia !! :)

@mmoblitz thanks so much for pointing that out! I googled it and found it! It's the scribbling pad mod at MTS! I didn't know it existed! But I'm not surprised, this community is so creative there are mods for practically everything! And sometimes they fix these little annoyances :)
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    Thanks so much @mortia !! :)

@mmoblitz thanks so much for pointing that out! I googled it and found it! It's the scribbling pad mod at MTS! I didn't know it existed! But I'm not surprised, this community is so creative there are mods for practically everything! And sometimes they fix these little annoyances :)

Yes, that is it. I just found it as well. My daughter was using it. Hope it works for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top