Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reading Circles - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    This is such a fantastic idea, @CathyTea. I would love to join the Art Commune since there's one more available slot if that's okay with you all. I try to post regularly once-a-week on Saturdays on my main blog, Kassiopeia Fullbright's series, although I post sporadically (usually once a week or 2-3 times a month) on my other blog Livin'a'Simmin'Life, but I advertise on Kass's blog when I'm posting over at LASL and skipping a week at KCLKF.

I hope it's okay that I join. I think my story falls outside the norm since it's a long-term story series following the same character. I hope for new readers that they can catch on if they jump in. I don't know though since it's a series, although backing up to 2.0 gives a good overview of what was missed in Part 1 and my character bios probably help.

AWESOME! I'm sure you fit and was hoping you'd join! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    If I don't fit in the Art Commune, stick me in the Literary Long Haul, since Kass's story is long.

if neither is full you can join both. i figured that outwhen cathtea joined 2.

Yes, you can be in more than one group! It's ideal if you have multiple stories--that way, each Circle would only need to keep up with one of them.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @friendsfan367 I probably can't commit to both since I am so swamped as is, but I thought I'd try one and maybe then two later on if there's space or start a group of my own I guess.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    *sneaky oinks*

*ninjapig zooms by with a cookie in her mouth*

...ah. Move along, nothing to see here! :D
  • Options
    **sneaky oink chase scene-- PIG! COOKIES!***

• Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    It is most definitely okay, and when I mentioned it in the storytelling thread I was hoping that you'd see it and want to join. :)

And I totally get the stressing thing. I've been in a group like this before on Tumblr that ended up failing because most of us got stressed out and were too busy with other things. So I'll come up with something more relaxed for us. :)
    Yay! :) I'm sure we can make our group work without too much stress. I mean, I already am sort of committed to reading all the things I'm following as soon as I see an update or as soon as I have a good moment so it shouldn't be too hard. *famous last words* :smiley:

Also thanks for the welcome and for adding me, @CathyTea

And more people joined! So we have a group now! Awesome!

Wow, I should not write blog posts before drinking my morning tea. My brain isn't working I think. And the tea is right there next to me, screaming DRINK ME! Okay, I'll stop now and have my tea.

doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    May I join group H so I don't have to wait on a waiting list, thank you! :)
  • Options
    MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    This is such a fantastic idea, @CathyTea. I would love to join the Art Commune since there's one more available slot if that's okay with you all. I try to post regularly once-a-week on Saturdays on my main blog, Kassiopeia Fullbright's series, although I post sporadically (usually once a week or 2-3 times a month) on my other blog Livin'a'Simmin'Life, but I advertise on Kass's blog when I'm posting over at LASL and skipping a week at KCLKF.

I hope it's okay that I join. I think my story falls outside the norm since it's a long-term story series following the same character. I hope for new readers that they can catch on if they jump in. I don't know though since it's a series, although backing up to 2.0 gives a good overview of what was missed in Part 1 and my character bios probably help.

You are in the commune now! One of us, one of us! ;)

Like I said in the other thread, I'll make a thread for us later. Got a busy day today, but tonight and the next two days should be free so I can sit down and write up a thing. :)
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Ok... so a few thoughts after the busy flurry of hurry-up-and-sign-up!

Thought one: let's have waiting lists! That way, if someone wants to join a group but it's currently full, they can get on the waiting list and grab a spot when one opens! Also, this gives us a kind way to say to those wanting in, "We're so glad you're interested in our group! We're currently full, and once a spot opens up, we'll love to have you! Let's add you to the Waiting List for our group!" Then, please be sure to let me know, and I will add that person to the waiting list.

Thought two: I think it's ok for us to join more than one Circle... I'm thinking of TS4 clubs. Our Sims can be in more than one club! The situation for me is that I have more than one currently active story. I don't want to require my circle members to have to keep up with more than one story, so what I want to do is to sign up with one circle for one story and have another circle for another story! Of course, those of us who sign up for more than one circle can be considerate to make room for those who aren't yet in any circle, but as long as there's room--and as long as we feel able to be productive contributors of both--I think it's fine and useful!

Other thoughts, responses, and observations after our first few days getting started?

@CathyTea Here are my two cents on these ideas :)

Waiting lists

To be honest, I do not like the idea of creating waiting lists at all, here's why:
    1) It makes the circles way more clique-y. I mean do you really need to be in a certain circle so bad that you need a waiting list? Why not create a new circle with the same theme? Waiting lists make circles feels exclusive and I think people will feel even more left out. At least that's how I would feel if I was on a waiting list. If everyone else doesn't feel that way, we can of course keep the waiting lists.

2) People who are stuck on a waiting list will probably not join another circle because they are waiting to get into a certain one - in the mean time they miss out on all the fun! And even if they join another circle, will they leave it as soon as they get in the other? And if they feel compelled to stay in both they might not be able to keep up... Just a few thoughts.

3) It implies that people leave circles. Now I know I left a circle so this might seem hypocritical, but overall I don't think it will happen often. Which makes waiting lists useless as well as frustrating.

I know you are trying to make people not feel left out but I think this is the wrong way. Why not say "If you like the theme of this circle, you can create a new one with the same theme. Others might feel the same way!".
    These are my thoughts on waiting lists ^^ Again, if everyone else feels differently, that's fine with me, just throwing it out there.

I think it's okay for people to join more than two circles but they should consider. I mean yeah, if you want to have multiple stories of yours read it's a good idea, but keep in mind that you are also supposed to read the works of everyone in your circle. If you're in two circles you have to read twice as much and eventually might feel overwhelmed...

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »

Thought one: let's have waiting lists! That way, if someone wants to join a group but it's currently full, they can get on the waiting list and grab a spot when one opens! Also, this gives us a kind way to say to those wanting in, "We're so glad you're interested in our group! We're currently full, and once a spot opens up, we'll love to have you! Let's add you to the Waiting List for our group!" Then, please be sure to let me know, and I will add that person to the waiting list.

Thought two: I think it's ok for us to join more than one Circle... I'm thinking of TS4 clubs. Our Sims can be in more than one club! The situation for me is that I have more than one currently active story. I don't want to require my circle members to have to keep up with more than one story, so what I want to do is to sign up with one circle for one story and have another circle for another story! Of course, those of us who sign up for more than one circle can be considerate to make room for those who aren't yet in any circle, but as long as there's room--and as long as we feel able to be productive contributors of both--I think it's fine and useful!

Other thoughts, responses, and observations after our first few days getting started?

Waiting lists

To be honest, I do not like the idea of creating waiting lists at all, here's why:
    1) It makes the circles way more clique-y. I mean do you really need to be in a certain circle so bad that you need a waiting list? Why not create a new circle with the same theme? Waiting lists make circles feels exclusive and I think people will feel even more left out. At least that's how I would feel if I was on a waiting list. If everyone else doesn't feel that way, we can of course keep the waiting lists.

2) People who are stuck on a waiting list will probably not join another circle because they are waiting to get into a certain one - in the mean time they miss out on all the fun! And even if they join another circle, will they leave it as soon as they get in the other? And if they feel compelled to stay in both they might not be able to keep up... Just a few thoughts.

3) It implies that people leave circles. Now I know I left a circle so this might seem hypocritical, but overall I don't think it will happen often. Which makes waiting lists useless as well as frustrating.

I know you are trying to make people not feel left out but I think this is the wrong way. Why not say "If you like the theme of this circle, you can create a new one with the same theme. Others might feel the same way!".
    These are my thoughts on waiting lists ^^ Again, if everyone else feels differently, that's fine with me, just throwing it out there.

I think it's okay for people to join more than two circles but they should consider. I mean yeah, if you want to have multiple stories of yours read it's a good idea, but keep in mind that you are also supposed to read the works of everyone in your circle. If you're in two circles you have to read twice as much and eventually might feel overwhelmed...

for me i'm intend to use the reading circles as a way to catch up my reading i'm way behind. as for the wait list so far they haven't been a problem because everyone is getting in to the circle they want. these are just my views.
  • Options

You are in the commune now! One of us, one of us! ;)

Like I said in the other thread, I'll make a thread for us later. Got a busy day today, but tonight and the next two days should be free so I can sit down and write up a thing. :)

Sounds great!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    How soon do we officially start the reading? I just want to make sure I don't get behind before beginning.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    How soon do we officially start the reading? I just want to make sure I don't get behind before beginning.

i think you can start. i think its sort of casual . meaning at your own pace.
  • Options
    Julyvee94 wrote: »

Waiting lists

Great points! I'll remove the waiting lists for now, and we can revisit them later!

I'm guessing that others will be able to come up with great reasons for having waiting lists (since there are always great ideas on every perspective)... for right now, let's follow July's insights and remove with them.

We can revisit this later!

In terms of being involved in more than one group, the reading load is definitely a significant consideration!

Think about your capacity to read before signing up for more than you have time, energy, attention, and enthusiasm for. We want to achieve sustainable groups, which means we do what we need to in order to avoid burnout.

Another point about multiple groups: Let's be careful not to take up space that someone else might want. (So if someone else wants to be in Artists Commune, I'll cheerfully make room!)

• Options

I don't think there's a big rush! Medley's setting up our thread tonight or tomorrow, so we can talk about it then. For me, the selection I'll be asking this circle to read is Thirty Sims at Three Rivers. I have a new chapter in the thinking/daydreaming/drafting/screenshotting stage, which might come out this weekend?

• Options
    equuest wrote: »
    May I join group H so I don't have to wait on a waiting list, thank you! :)

I've got you added in Group H! :) Feel free to PM folks you'd like to join you, and to post at Writers' Lounge or on your own thread that you've started the group!

:)

• Options
    MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member

I'll make the thread later tonight - just got home after a busy day out, and we're about to eat dinner. Got nothing to do after that until Tuesday though.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    Hi guys. So how this works is if a circle has an opening then its in the main thread?

I might want to join a couple for different stories if this I understand how it works.
  • Options
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    Hi guys. So how this works is if a circle has an opening then its in the main thread?

I might want to join a couple for different stories if this I understand how it works.

Yes! Check the first post to see which have openings! (I noticed that Medley mentioned you could join hers.) And then let me know which you want to join!

For a writer like you with multiple stories you're keeping up with (and a dedicated reader, like you are), it's fine to join more than one. We encourage readers to take into consideration their own schedules when deciding how many groups to join--feel free to add more than one, if there's room and if your reading schedule allows!

Also, feel free to start a Circle with a specific theme or focus, if you wish!

Let me know, and I'll add you wherever you want!

• Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    @CathyTea I think at the most I'd join two since I want to try and keep up with the reading club too. lol.

You can put me down in the Art Commune and I'm looking at the two with openings to decide between them.

• Options
    pixelatedKarpixelatedKar Posts: 382 Member
    I'd like to join, just not sure which one or how it works. Currently have one story on the go (publishing the first chapter tomorrow) if that helps? Lol Loving the idea and being able to expand my simlit :)
    Legacy Central - Reading Circle | The Blount Legacy | One Hundred Gnome's
    ORIGIN ID: pixelatedK
  • Options
    Hemera123Hemera123 Posts: 905 Member
    I have thought about this a lot. This sounds so great idea and I'd really like to join in. But I'm thinking something like reading circle "Just For Fun". I don't want it to feel like school assignment or something. I'm more like looking for new stories to read and getting to know other forum members. Reading, writing and commenting without any pressures.

How does this sounds to you @equeest and @pixelatedKar ? Would this kind of circle suit for you?
  • Options
    pixelatedKarpixelatedKar Posts: 382 Member
    @Hemera123 I'd be down for that, sounds like it would be fun
    Legacy Central - Reading Circle | The Blount Legacy | One Hundred Gnome's
    ORIGIN ID: pixelatedK
  • Options
    @pixelatedKar @Hemera123 -- We'll wait to hear back from @equuest and then either set up Circle H as "Just for Fun" or create a new "Just for Fun" circle!

Enjoy your lovely day! :)

• Options
    equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    That sounds like a great idea @Hemera123! I think that would be good too because then everyone doesn't feel the pressure of reading stories all the time. I wouldn't want anyone to get burnt out. And of course you can join @pixelatedKar :) I'll make a thread now.