Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Woah, The Sims 2 just got a patch!

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    cleo00 wrote: »
    Where is this new update :o

This.

Is it just for people who don't have the UC since I do and I'm not seeing the update anywhere? I have launched the game from my TS2 UC icon from my window screen and I even went through Origin and don't see anything about an update when I hover my mouse over TS2 UC... :/

I am guessing at the moment its for people who have ts2 UC locked into origin. I take it you have the old version of TS3 UC that does not require origin. If you uninstalled TS2 UC and reinstalled it my guess is you would now be locked into origin and would not be able to play the game without origin.

all this update does according to jackjack is fix the shadow box underneath the sim but if you put shadows on med it takes away the box

It's still not locked into Origin. I have the TS2 UC on my old account and was able to sign back into my new one and it worked fine.

It's not the only fix it has. There's no more lag when you use the eye dropper tool, the loading screens are much faster after the initial boot up. The game itself looks a lot clearer although I'm sure it will look better with the resolution hack.

They've definitely done a few things to it. The question is, why? It doesn't make any sense.

Who knows. Im still questioning why we need to be locked into origin on TS3 and no patch to fix things

I'm guessing any game that has online content in the game will get updates which will improve security. I've noticed that offline games most often don't need to be locked into Origin but online games do.

I reckon the patch for the Sims 3 recently may have included some minor security updates just to make sure when your game connects online that there's no threats.

Its to lock you into origin. The only reason. They think its going to stop people from pirating the game however the original discs are still out there. You can still buy them brand new sealed that don't require origin. We went years without origin and I still play without it. Origin has caused more problems on my computer than anything else. Especially with the sims 4

There's nothing to lock Sims 3 players into on Origin since you can easily avoid it.

But anyway, I honestly don't get why everyone hates Origin. For me, it's more reliable than Steam, and I often see better performance when games run through it.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    cleo00 wrote: »
    Where is this new update :o

This.

Is it just for people who don't have the UC since I do and I'm not seeing the update anywhere? I have launched the game from my TS2 UC icon from my window screen and I even went through Origin and don't see anything about an update when I hover my mouse over TS2 UC... :/

I am guessing at the moment its for people who have ts2 UC locked into origin. I take it you have the old version of TS3 UC that does not require origin. If you uninstalled TS2 UC and reinstalled it my guess is you would now be locked into origin and would not be able to play the game without origin.

all this update does according to jackjack is fix the shadow box underneath the sim but if you put shadows on med it takes away the box

It's still not locked into Origin. I have the TS2 UC on my old account and was able to sign back into my new one and it worked fine.

It's not the only fix it has. There's no more lag when you use the eye dropper tool, the loading screens are much faster after the initial boot up. The game itself looks a lot clearer although I'm sure it will look better with the resolution hack.

They've definitely done a few things to it. The question is, why? It doesn't make any sense.

Who knows. Im still questioning why we need to be locked into origin on TS3 and no patch to fix things

I'm guessing any game that has online content in the game will get updates which will improve security. I've noticed that offline games most often don't need to be locked into Origin but online games do.

I reckon the patch for the Sims 3 recently may have included some minor security updates just to make sure when your game connects online that there's no threats.

Its to lock you into origin. The only reason. They think its going to stop people from pirating the game however the original discs are still out there. You can still buy them brand new sealed that don't require origin. We went years without origin and I still play without it. Origin has caused more problems on my computer than anything else. Especially with the sims 4

There's nothing to lock Sims 3 players into on Origin since you can easily avoid it.

But anyway, I honestly don't get why everyone hates Origin. For me, it's more reliable than Steam, and I often see better performance when games run through it.

No you can not. The only way now is to install the whole game on disc with the base game disc issued before 2009 or buy the game on steam if someone has to reinstall to stay at 1.67. You now can not add any downloads to your sims 3 game or you be forced to patch 1.69

Steam works far better for me
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hey, thanks for posting! I had to turn down my shadows the other day because they all had those big black boxes under their feet with my video card. That means an actual patch if we no longer have to turn down shadows! Woot, can't believe they actually fixed something about TS2.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for posting! I had to turn down my shadows the other day because they all had those big black boxes under their feet with my video card. That means an actual patch if we no longer have to turn down shadows! Woot, can't believe they actually fixed something about TS2.

I'm actually surprised they went and improved the game. Even going as far as giving it a new icon.
    And even more so, why they went and fixed some known bugs for Sims 2, while Sims 3 is still being sold and could do with a lot more work than Sims 2 which is near perfect. I mean, EA patched the Sims 3 and fixed no bugs at all that people are constantly complaining about, yet they patch Sims 2 12 years later.

Maybe more people play TS2 still than we thought and EA still see it as something worth supporting despite it not being sold anymore.

(Or my dream scenario is Devs went back to TS2 to look at things for TS4 and encountered some issues they could fix). Haha.
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited March 2016
    Nvm that.
    Post edited by XopaxPax on
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    Ok, i must have done something wrong.
    I downloaded a 5,67mb update, but my game is still exactly the same.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Summerbear5Summerbear5 Posts: 643 Member
    My only question is does it still contain SecuRom?

I will not be updating. :/
    angrycat.gif
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    XopaxPax wrote: »

Yeah, I am not seeing a patch that does what OP and several others have said either.

I guess it must be rolling out in certain countries first?
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    edited March 2016
    My question is unrelated to the update. I just recently downloaded windows 10 and now my sims 2 is stuck on resolution 800×600 with no other options to change it. What should I do? It's all blurry and close
  • Options
    My question is unrelated to the update. I just recently downloaded windows 10 and now my sims 2 is stuck on resolution 800×600 with no other options to change it. What should I do? It's all blurry and close

You have to edit the game files. If you Google "Sims 2 Resolution SimsVIP" they have a tutorial :)
  • Options
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Yeah, I am not seeing a patch that does what OP and several others have said either.

That could be the case. Probably why none of the major Simmers have reported it. Weird.

Did you try actually right clicking the box art in Origin and seeing the update option there? It's not one that automatically happens or pops up ^^
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,020 Member
    edited March 2016
    @kingkong192 I recently had the resolution problem. I found the information on this page helped me out:

Sim 2 UC Increase Resolution Guide

Oh, and BTW...RE: black boxes under sims. Changing the shadow setting to Medium did not help me. None of the settings worked to fix that issue. I had to go into the Graphics Rules.sgr file to turn simShadows off. I'm on Windows 10, but I imagine the problem has to do more with graphics card compatibility rather than operating systems.

Here's a link to help with the black boxes issue if setting shadows to Medium doesn't work for you:
    Removing Black Box Shadows in Sims 2

Very interesting about an update. I've been playing Sims 2 UC the last couple of days without going through Origin, but I think I'll check to see if an update is available for me. Thanks for the info!
    Post edited by lanlyn on
  • Options
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »

That could be the case. Probably why none of the major Simmers have reported it. Weird.

Did you try actually right clicking the box art in Origin and seeing the update option there? It's not one that automatically happens or pops up ^^

Yeah, many times, no luck. Thanks though, hopefully we'll see it soon!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The option when you right click says Check for Updates. Here's my experience:

I right clicked the Sims 2 box icon and chose check for updates. It displayed a message saying "verifying files," then it installed a small update. I exited Origin completely.

1. After checking my files, I saw that it had replaced my edited Graphics Rules.sgr file with the default one. I had to change the resolution fix in it again.
    2. I was able to still start the game without Origin being on, just like before.
    3. The game did seem to load faster, but not sure about that. :#
    4. The black boxes under my sims were back. The Shadows options are greyed out until you go to a lot, then you can change them. For me, the black boxes were still there no matter what setting I chose. I had to exit the game and change that setting in the Graphics Rules file again. The update did not fix that for me. I had to manually do it myself, just like I had before.
    5. After closing the game, I opened Origin again, and did another check for updates. It ran the same verifying files process and once again downloaded a small "update." This so-called update might just be a file integrity check to see that your files match what Origin thinks you should have--because the second time it ran, it replaced my edited Graphics Rules with its own version again! :s
    6. I didn't find any other differences, but I only played a little while.
    Post edited by lanlyn on
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    You guys rock!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    lanlyn wrote: »

I right clicked the Sims 2 box icon and chose check for updates. It displayed a message saying "verifying files," then it installed a small update. I exited Origin completely.

1. After checking my files, I saw that it had replaced my edited Graphics Rules.sgr file with the default one. I had to change the resolution fix in it again.
    2. I was able to still start the game without Origin being on, just like before.
    3. The game did sim to load faster, but not sure about that. :#
    4. The black boxes under my sims were back. The Shadows options are greyed out until you go to a lot, then you can change them. For me, the black boxes were still there no matter what setting I chose. I had to exit the game and change that setting in the Graphics Rules file again. The update did not fix that for me. I had to manually do it myself, just like I had before.
    5. After closing the game, I opened Origin again, and did another check for updates. It ran the same verifying files process and once again downloaded a small "update." This so-called update might just be a file integrity check to see that your files match what Origin thinks you should have--because the second time it ran, it replaced my edited Graphics Rules with its own version again! :s

I just checked this...I can't believe I have to edit it again! Huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! So frustrating...I wish EA released an update for the game to make this easier somehow.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    @lanlyn wrote: »

3. The game did sim to load faster, but not sure about that. :#

Yeah it's definitely loading faster.

And they fixed the black boxes for me, but I'm on Windows 8.1
    Perhaps the issue is still there for Windows 10.

I definitely noticed the loading screens were quicker, but also the lag in Buy Mode is no longer there. It also doesn't take a minute to load the Sims 2 anymore, it loads the front screen almost straight away.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ...I definitely noticed the loading screens were quicker, but also the lag in Buy Mode is no longer there. It also doesn't take a minute to load the Sims 2 anymore, it loads the front screen almost straight away.
    @jackjack_k I thought loading went faster too, but haven't played very much recently, so wasn't sure. I didn't go into Buy Mode yet--will have to check that out. If this little update, file integrity check or whatever it is, helps make the game run more smoothly, I'm all for it! :) I appreciate you sharing your discovery.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I checked and nothing different.
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »

@Rflong7 Same here. I believe the update may only be available for people based in the UK. Hopefully, they'll have a patch for other countries soon.
  • Options
    Okay... It's good for some, at least. :)
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

@Rflong7 Same here. I believe the update may only be available for people based in the UK. Hopefully, they'll have a patch for other countries soon.

I'm in the good old USA and got the update even though it didn't come up aotomatically. When I had my mouse over top of the UC in Origin, I just right clicked on it and selected "check for updates" and it updated for me.
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    So the update's just for the UC on Origin then or? I have all of my discs installed my sims 2 and Origin are not in any way shape or form related to each other.
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I'm in the good old USA and got the update even though it didn't come up aotomatically. When I had my mouse over top of the UC in Origin, I just right clicked on it and selected "check for updates" and it updated for me.

Thanks, I did that, too but nothing. :)
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    I don't know what it did, but SecuRom is still there for those of you who are wondering.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial